Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What next?

Alright, I just finished Fallout 2 (for the umpteenth time... god that game is a masterpiece) and I'm looking to start one of the following games. I think I can guess what the recommendation is going to be, but I'm just seeking some guidance.

For the record, I've dabbled in each of the games, but haven't finished any of them:

Gothic

Arcanum

Wizardry 8

Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines

Choose my fate!

Bloodlines. I've almost beaten it and it is wonderful. Nowhere close to as bad as people say. Amazing stuff.

Longshanks

Augur
I'd rate Arcanum as the best of the games listed. But, I'd say take a break from Fallout-style games and give Bloodlines a try, then play Arcanum.

mahdi

Liturgist
sportforredneck said:
Bloodlines. I've almost beaten it and it is wonderful. Nowhere close to as bad as people say. Amazing stuff.
You haven't beat that game yet? Get with it man, it isn't that long of a game.

mahdi said:
sportforredneck said:
You haven't beat that game yet? Get with it man, it isn't that long of a game.
I just beat it today. It's not as though I devote all my time to the game, back to school and all that jazz.

DaveO

Erudite
I'd vote Wizardry 8, but if Fallout 2 was a bit tough then something simpler may be in order. I hear far too many bad things about Arcanum, so I'd go with the Vampire game for something different.

PennyAnte

Liturgist
Check the Cain sound files (Vampire - The Masquerade - Bloodlines\Vampire\sound\character\dlg\main characters\caine) ... some of them sound like cabbie quotes, but I haven't finished the game either yet.

Yeah, I've played PS:T. I would have popped that in next, but I can't find the game disc anywhere. I probably lost it in my last move, and since then I've gotten a new PC, sooooo...

Yeah, I'll just reorder it sometime.

And FO2 wasn't tough... like, at all. I mean, when I stumbled onto an Enclave Patrol at level 13 with metal armor they smoked me, but other than that, the game was far from difficult. One of the things that's drawing me to Wiz8 a bit is the difficulty...

I'll probably go with Bloodlines though, as that seems to be the more popular choice. Would have expected more for Arcanum, honestly, considering how much the Codex as a whole jerks it off.

Note: The statement referring to Arcanum being "jerked off" is in no way a criticism of the quality of the game, as I haven't put enough time into to form any opinion on it whatsoever. It is more of a statement referring to the amount of praise it gets in most topics and how much Troika is worshiped on the board (once again, not undeservedly).

inwoker

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Aquire planescape torment through removing nothing from inventory. I got you owned game anyway.
God! Play damn game. This game is sooo good sometimes I want to get similar experience but nothing can match it.
After you beat this, erase you fucking memory and play again.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'd suggest Bloodlines, too.
Not because it would be so much better than the others, but because it is very different from Fallout 1 and 2. Even more than the other games in the list. So if you want variety, go for Bloodlines.

Radisshu

Prophet
If you're looking for something Fallouty, I recommend Arcanum. That game could have been so fucking great, if not for a few (many) bugs and a pretty bad (horrible) combat system. Still worth playing through, though. Very much so.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom