Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What RTS do you play for the lulz?

Texas Red

Whiner
When you have some time to waste, what RTS do you play? You know, pick a random map and get your attention grabbed for an hour or so.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I usually go on WC3, but that probably doesn't really count, since I just play the custom maps. Sometimes they have some major RTS elements, but other times its closer to a fighting game or FPS than an RTS.

GeneralSamov

Prophet
I used to fire up AoE II for the lulz (and usually ended up with a 5+ hour game eventually). Now it's more RT3 (it's a strategy and it's in real time, so fuck off, nitpickers), although I find the 2 better.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
GeneralSamov said:
I used to fire up AoE II for the lulz (and usually ended up with a 5+ hour game eventually).
Regicide++

And I have a nasty habit of building replicas of the Great Wall of China around my ever expanding base, until I've expanded my walls right up to the doors of the last remaining AI. 4 tiles thick, segmented with Canon Towers around the perimeter.

fastpunk

Arbiter
I guess that would be Age of Empires 2. But I end up playing about 3 or 4 hours straight. I like to build a fortress of a hometown and then just spread out and eat all the resources available. I don't attack, just defend myself, and when resources are done and my enemies start crumbling I just sweep them off the face of the map. Bastard tactic, I know. It's definitely lulz worthy, though it's harder than it sounds.

LastAngryBat

Novice
DarkUnderlord said:
GeneralSamov said:
I used to fire up AoE II for the lulz (and usually ended up with a 5+ hour game eventually).
Regicide++

And I have a nasty habit of building replicas of the Great Wall of China around my ever expanding base, until I've expanded my walls right up to the doors of the last remaining AI. 4 tiles thick, segmented with Canon Towers around the perimeter.

I do pretty much the same thing

Kraszu

Prophet
SC:BW on battle net 3vs3 or 2vs2 on The hunters or 2vs2 on other popular map.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Just as most of the other guys said, Age of Empires 2 hasn't lost any of its awesomeness, although I suck at it compared to back when it was released. Maybe I got softened by the simpleness of most modern strategy games, so AI pwns me. Or maybe because the AI players never attack each other, but always go after my ass.

And Age of Mythology, too. It's a lot of fun with its three rather different cultures.

Texas Red

Whiner
DarkUnderlord said:
GeneralSamov said:
Regicide++

That's why I don't like AoE 2. Wall and tower maintenance got really old really fast.

VladimirK

Learned
I play Total Annihilation: Twilight almost exclusively. It's a distant descendant of the UberHack TA mod, and is much, much better than the vanilla TA in all respects. To be honest, the Core vs Arm and Air vs Ground balance has some issues, but the most important thing is that every unit has been made useful--no more of this spamming Flashes (or whatever) for the win nonsense. There's also a huge number of new units and buildings, all with their roles too. Overall it just rocks IMO.

Links:

http://www.tauniverse.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=152
http://twilight.tauniverse.com/

MaskedMartyr

Liturgist
Metal Fatigue.

That game nobody's really heard about.

I managed to track down an original copy about 5 years back, but now it doesn't work under Vista and I'm not even going to try and find support regarding this as the publishing company bellied up before the game was even released but it was published under their name.

Anyways, if its raining outside, power's out, or its triple digit degrees outside, or I'm torrenting stuff I usually just mess around on this game trying to find the best combot combination.

Might as well spill out some of my best formulas.

Stick a Howitzer torso on some speed legs and give it Two shield arms, doesn't matter what kind. You know have an extremely fast-moving death tank. Howitzer costs way too much though, but if you get into melee these guys can retreat fast. Best cross-faction combination I've ever found, just rolls bases over. Comparable to an Apocalypse/Mammoth tank but twice as fast. The problem is it requires parts from both Mil-Agro and Neuropa.

Flak Torso + 2 Blade arms + steady legs makes for a very balanced Mil-Agro build. A little expensive, but just 4 of these can do well on their own. If need be you can make very cheap support combots anyways to deal with major nuisances.

Rim-Tech has some of the worst parts.

I don't know why I even played that game, it pisses me off to no end on how imbalanced some sides were. Wish somebody would port the game over into a mod for another RTS or something.

MaskedMartyr said:
Metal Fatigue.

That game nobody's really heard about.

That one is very cool. I love how the hardest setting turns any mission past the third one into nine-hours-long logistic nightmares where the slightest oversight ends with disaster and at times the only chance for survival lies in improvising some stupidly insane plan abusing both the ruleset and the three map levels in imaginative ways... and then slowly grinding the way to victory with it.

But maybe that one thing makes it somewhat "Lulz unfriendly."

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
JarlFrank said:
Or maybe because the AI players never attack each other, but always go after my ass.
Click "Lock Teams" and choose different teams for each of the AI's. I've found on larger maps with a lot of AI enemies, they will gang bang you but if you set 2 people per team (or even choose the "-" for no team I think) AND lock teams, they'll stay that way and atatck each other.

DemonKing

Arcane
Company of Heroes - I can usually beat the expert AI in 1v1 in under 30 minutes...

Texas Red

Whiner
Why do you guys favor AoE 2? I hear Rise of Nations is more complicated. I'm go try it out tomorrow.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Thalkirst said:
Civ 4 Warlords with the VISA mod, playing warmonger...

There's a mod to make Civ 4 a real-time strategy game?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Dark Individual said:
Why do you guys favor AoE 2? I hear Rise of Nations is more complicated. I'm go try it out tomorrow.

RoN is lots of fun, but AoE2 is just great. It's a classic. It has a certain feel to it that makes it great.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Dark Individual said:
twd2pk2jw8.jpg

:bandwagon:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom