Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What should I buy Codex, Civ III or IV?

Civ III or VI?

• III

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • VI

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Tails

Arbiter
Lyric Suite said:
sqeecoo said:
The best game is actually Alpha Centauri.

Anyway I didn't like Civ III, it looks more like parody of Civ games.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
The best part of Civ IV is entering the world builder and dropping fallout around enemy cities at 500 AD.

sheek

Arbiter
DarkUnderlord said:
Civ VI is going to be awesome I'm sure. Wait until it comes out and then get that.

Until then though, it's either Civ 2 or Civ IV. Civ III is a meh inbetween step. Civ IV added resources which is like "Now I have a reason to invade somewhere because I need Iron!" rather than the usual "Kill nearest civilization".
Strategic/luxury resources were added in Civ3.

So were borders and culture and national wonders, increaseable unit hitpoints, interrupting attacks and many other things that you might like Civ4 for. The diplomacy system was developed. It was an innovative game, what hurts it really is the bad AI (cheating to make up for difficulty). But Civ4 AI 'can cheat' too.

Panthera

Scholar
Civilization 3 was an innovative game, what really hurts it is the Infinite City Sprawl.

sheek

Arbiter
Where Civ4 wins is that it has adopted all the new features of Civ3 (so people don't remember Civ3 for them) and added several others which were as innovative but more fun: unit promotions, great people, the health variable, civics from AC etc.

By the way, Civ3 also invented Great Generals (Civ4 just extended it to Citizen types) and Armies.

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
rooseveltns8.jpg

Civ is fun.

TheWesDude

Arcane
Patron
installed civ 4, no barbarians, me vs ghandi, marathon speed...

i won in like 2010 by domination, almost finished space race.

Angthoron

Arcane
Darth Roxor said:
The best part of Civ IV is entering the world builder and dropping fallout around enemy cities at 500 AD.

Giving nukes to warring sides is always a laugh as well, unless you're involved.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I really hated the way espionage is handled in civ4, but it's a better game than Civ3

spectre

Arcane
This piece of the Hivemind thinks: CtP had a number of interesting pieces in, but ultimately failed to deliver. But that was a few years back. Hmmm. Wonder if I could enjoy it now.

mondblut

Arcane
I loved Call to Power 2. It had fascism and fascist units. Wiping off the untermenschen with machinegun-totting blackshirts in 500 AD never was more fun :D

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Are the any mods that add futuristic tech to the end of a normal game? There seems to be lots of mods that have a futuristic setting, but I really want to build up a civilization from the stone age and eventually have a cool sci-fi thing going with lasers and satellites. Like in Call to Power 2.

MaskedMartyr

Liturgist
The Epic War mod thats included with BTS adds on a future era onto normal play. Honestly though I don't like it, it doesn't have the depth I'm looking for.

I've been playing the literal shit out of Fall From Heaven 2, Fall Further, and everything FFH related for 2 weeks. I'm enjoying it since it focuses less on age advancement and more on classic strategy game style teching. Plus the modmods add innovation on more innovation, so much that it's daunting and intriguing at the same time.

This is the kind of shit I waste my social life for.

Talonfire

Scholar
Civ IV, but don't be surprised if all of your cities become Jewish after twenty turns.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
The Brazilian Slaughter said:
I prefer Free Religion, though. Its just a matter of getting a butt-load of religions inside cities and building their temples. Shitloads of hapiness and culture, specially if you are Creative.

And you don't get ' (-10) WE ARE UPSET THAT YOU HAVE FALLEN UNDER THE SWAY OF A HEATHEN RELIGION!!!!' from every possible civ.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Personally, I just find it annoying that the AI almost always goes for Free Religion and Emancipation due to their Happiness Penalty effect.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom