Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment What was Ravel's name supposed to mean?

Codex Year of the Donut
When discussing Ravel recently with someone I realized we had opposite interpretations of her name. I don't mean in a literary interpretation way, the word itself is its own antonym.
https://www.ahdictionary.com/word/search.html?q=Ravel
2. To clarify by separating the aspects of.
3. To tangle or complicate.

Was this intended?

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Remember that this is the 21st century. You can just ask the writer on Twitter.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
I don't like the idea of writers explaining in-universe things outside of it.
And how the hell is anyone else supposed to know if something was intended or not? If you don't care about what the writers have to say then the only correct answer would be that it's up to your interpretation.

Codex Year of the Donut
I don't like the idea of writers explaining in-universe things outside of it.
And how the hell is anyone else supposed to know if something was intended or not? If you don't care about what the writers have to say then the only correct answer would be that it's up to your interpretation.
Maybe they could congregate into an area created to discuss such topics and discuss it amongst themselves.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I’m pretty sure it’s intended. Her surname is literally Puzzlewell and she talks a lot about threads (which are what ravels/unravels)

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
#sorrynotsorry, as the kids say

C61LQBW.jpg

laclongquan

Arcane
I dont understand Rusty's puzzle well. It's obviously Ravel separating aspect of a man, and like to play puzzle. And breaking into components, becoming tangled etc... Nearly all meanings of the word Ravel.

There is no coincidence. Not. SEVERAL. Time.

What's so hard to express admiration toward a well-pun play? Just because we can not do it doesnt mean others can not.

Remember: it's freaking Torment! All time number one!

Humbaba

Arcane
Her name is basically Riddlebeth Mysteryspeaker but only slightly less on the nose. Don't need to ask the man himself to get an idea why she's called that.

Divine Blessing

Scholar
due to bad spelling, cuz Maurice was french, Rainbow was misspelled into Ravel. but lets just not mention Debussy.

and again - even 100 years later they r still en vogue. unlike Josh Saywer, Jeff Vogelmann and Brian Fargo, names no one will remember 100 years in - if there is any - the future...

Last edited:

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
When discussing Ravel recently with someone I realized we had opposite interpretations of her name. I don't mean in a literary interpretation way, the word itself is its own antonym.
https://www.ahdictionary.com/word/search.html?q=Ravel
2. To clarify by separating the aspects of.
3. To tangle or complicate.

Was this intended?

From the game itself:

"I? Ravel am I, a maker and breaker of puzzles, a solver of what *cannot* be solved, a mind raveling and unraveling until the threads of thought are tied up like knots in a drunken man's hair." Ravel picked at one of her jagged gray hairs, wrapping it around her finger. "It is enough, enough it is."

/thread

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
cx8EM5C.jpg

This definition seems the most appropriate in this case.

Like a castoff?. Or a certain game I was a gold backer for?.

I think the in-game interpretation was (big spoiler)
due to her wanting to free the Lady of Pain as she saw her as a prisoner and wanted to unmake her prison. In the sense that she saw everything as a puzzle and that was the second most important one to her
that's how I remember it anyway.

Humbaba

Arcane
cx8EM5C.jpg

This definition seems the most appropriate in this case.

Like a castoff?. Or a certain game I was a gold backer for?.

I think the in-game interpretation was (big spoiler)
due to her wanting to free the Lady of Pain as she saw her as a prisoner and wanted to unmake her prison. In the sense that she saw everything as a puzzle and that was the second most important one to her
that's how I remember it anyway.
Basically yeah. I remember reading somewhere that Avellone said something like that Ravel at her core is about changing what can't be changed, for better or for worse. It's a theme he then continued to explore with that grandma from the star wars game, or so it is said, I never played that one.

Ulfhednar

Savant
Hey, did ya know Nordom is backwards... Modron! Ninth Circle of Zerthimon... BALANCE in *ALL* things... you *know* what I’m saying...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom