Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

what's a good AD&D rpg for beginners?

larpingdude18

Educated
what would be a good one to start with?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
larpingdude16.5 said:
AndhairaX said:
Baldurs gate 1.

ty dude. it looks like a coll game
are there any mods i should install before playing?

Been a while since I played it, but I'd recomment the Baldurdash fixes, Unfisnished Business and, if you want more fleshed out NPCs and more quests, The NPC Project.
I highly recommend also getting BG2 and install EasyTutu, so that you can use the much improved BG2 engine.

The main communites and mods to check out are at http://www.pocketplane.net/mambo/ and http://www.gibberlings3.net

Shoelip

Arbiter
TripJack said:
NWN? The man said AD&D.

KOTOR? Are you joking?

I doubt he actually meant AD&D. Most people who say that now days are just stuck in the eighties... And ignorant.

If you're just getting started with AD&D CRPGs, this document may help out: <a href='http://www.gamefaqs.com/computer/doswin/file/564795/8566'>AD&D CPRG Info</a> It details the 2nd edition rules (and most of the 1st, since they're similar).

Which type of CRPGs are you usually into? This can make a difference. If you like the more tactical stuff, I'd suggest something like the Gold Box games or Temple of Elemental Evil. For puzzle solving, probably something like the Eye of the Beholder series. The Baldur's Gate games involve a lot of exploration, and more dialog than the others I mentioned.

As has been noted, the name 'Advanced Dungeon and Dragons' isn't really used anymore. Now, its simply Dungeons and Dragons. There was a line of products a number of years ago that was also called 'Dungeons and Dragons,' which were an earlier, supposedly simplified version of AD&D. I don't think it was terribly popular, so the developers dropped the product line. Having an advanced version of something that doesn't exist anymore didn't make a whole lot of sense, so the 'advanced' was removed from the name.

phanboy_iv

Liturgist
Also, the mechanics of D&D can be overwhelming at first, and with most of the D&D-based games, you're pretty much screwed from the get-go if you don't know them.

That's why I reccommend Planescape first, especially if you happen to come from a JRPG background, as that game more than others lets you get away with not being up to snuff on the ruleset, while also being a good intro to the system.

Shoelip

Arbiter
phanboy_iv said:
Also, the mechanics of D&D can be overwhelming at first, and with most of the D&D-based games, you're pretty much screwed from the get-go if you don't know them.

That's why I reccommend Planescape first, especially if you happen to come from a JRPG background, as that game more than others lets you get away with not being up to snuff on the ruleset, while also being a good intro to the system.

Of course afterward everything else may seem totally uninteresting. :?

Andhaira

Arcane
Dark Sun Shattered lands is also an excellent game larping dude. I say you download that first, and play though it. Then play Baldurs gate 1.

Also, I recommend playing BG1 vanilla, without any mods.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
the Eye of the Beholder games are pretty good from what I remember, but Baldur's Gate II is probably the best AD&D game. Baldur's Gate isn't too bad, but the sequel is better in pretty much every way. I'd skip BG and go straight for BG2.

Deleted member 7219

NWN with expansions and community modules
NWN2 with expansions and community modules.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom