Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What's a good graphics whore game?

Karmapowered

Augur
villain of the story said:
Still looks like shit.

R00fles!

I mean, come on for fuck's sake. We are talking about graphics whorism, not graphics artfaggotry. If you aren't gonna show something that can hold up to the likes of Crysis, you might as well not bother.
Crysis 2 was a given from start. Thanks for adding your invaluable input to the thread, I guess.

Would have been nice to come up with a couple of suggestions instead, of the caliber of those that were mentioned on the front page of this thread : Shogun 2, Arma 2, Trackmania, etc.

As much as it might bother you, none of the above can hold a candle to the games that I listed, in my opinion anyway, if we are talking pure in-game visual effects (which includes everything that can be visually appreciated), not just torch flickers (sighs) or static screen-shots.

This game's visual effects are (much) nicer however to anything I had seen before, I admit :salute:

DraQ

Arcane
Karmapowered said:
Also, I will have you consider that visual effects go largely beyond, uh, torch flicker
Yes. Since about 1996. And that's the problem here.

Environment lighting model alone can make an enormous difference - like between :/ and :bounce: .

Same with good, high-res textures, or, if that fails, detail textures.

the animations of your main character
...count towards visuals, but are not really part of graphicswhoring, since they are largely tech-independent. Hell, compare Another World with Morrowind or Oblivion if you want proof.

the sexyness of his weapons, armor and everything else
That's art design.

I already have Morrowind.

So, if you would manage to look past the immediate prejudice above, and open your awareness to EVERYTHING that is happening before and during the fights, which goes way beyond the usual "swing blade, connect with enemy's face and display lotsa DA2 gore"
Good game, or at least game with good combat should indeed go beyond that, but that's nothing new, as games with much more impressive and interactive take on violence have existed since '80s and what you have here doesn't really look all that impressive in this regard. It's generally mostly a refreshed take on those old 8bit fighting games that tried to liven the fighting up with flamboyant and flashy swing and hit sprites which completely fails to impress in this day and age - just like in DA2. Extra fatality effects and such don't change that.

MCA
I recently played Call of Duty: World at War, Modern Warfare 2 and Black Ops and I must admit, some levels looked very striking and so very "there". My experience regarding visuals with the original and CoD2 at their times have been similar. That's one thing I like about most of the CoD games. The games are mostly shit but they have some fucking talented people designing the environments, always making me yearn for a first person military RPG making use of all those rich environments.

Destroid

Arcane
villain of the story said:
I recently played Call of Duty: World at War, Modern Warfare 2 and Black Ops and I must admit, some levels looked very striking and so very "there". My experience regarding visuals with the original and CoD2 at their times have been similar. That's one thing I like about most of the CoD games. The games are mostly shit but they have some fucking talented people designing the environments, always making me yearn for a first person military RPG making use of all those rich environments.

Make a mod, it can be called... Consequences of Duty.

made

Arcane
So I bought a cheap HD5850 and while I wait for the awesomeness that is TW2 I figured I'd witness the true power of DX11, but so far it's been a let-down. I got Metro 2033 and Cryostasis but they don't look particularly impressive apart from some gimmicks, and Metro runs like shit in the hubs with many NPCs present. Oh, and there's water ripples in LOTRO. What else is there that makes noticeable use of DX11? Do I dl Crysis 1 or what? I hear Crysis 2 is DX9 only.

MCA
Son, I'm disappoint. Crysis is still where the shit is at. And the good thing is, there are also various mods and even a decent TC or two, for Crysis, like a semi-adventure game with inventory, dialogue and the like.

And STALKER, while not photo-realistic, has good art direction and still delivers some punch (at the hardware) that make earlier generation cards bend and twist.

made

Arcane
Stalker ran just fine on my old HD4850. But this reminds me to finally get the sequels.

DraQ

Arcane
STALKER is good, the worst thing about it from GFX whore POV are draw distances. The sequels also make somewhat noticeable use of DX>9 which is far from the norm. Sure, stuff like dynamic wet surfaces (basically everything not covered from above becomes wet during the rain - this includes dynamic stuff like NPCs, small objects and bodies lying around) are pure eye candy, but they are purposeful eye candy, not "DUR HURR add more bloom and desaturation or they won't see how super advanced our game is".

Plus even the first STALKER sports much more effective and immersive graphics than much more resource demanding turdblivion.

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
Karmapowered said:
This game's visual effects are (much) nicer however to anything I had seen before, I admit :salute:

Jesus, that was mesmerizing. I actually fell asleep half way through watching that - a combination of the beautiful setting and surreal music. I'll use that vid next time I get a case of insomnia.

That's not a criticism btw, it was gorgeous. I saw no loading screens either, that's some engine.

Edit: Also, it's after 1am here in aus, so that might have somthing to do with it ;)

baronjohn

Cipher
AlaCarcuss said:
Karmapowered said:

Jesus, that was mesmerizing. I actually fell asleep half way through watching that - a combination of the beautiful setting and surreal music. I'll use that vid next time I get a case of insomnia.

That's not a criticism btw, it was gorgeous. I saw no loading screens either, that's some engine.
Too bad about the arcade flight model.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom