Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What's that game? Don't remember the title? Ask here.

Pound Meat

Prophet
A game with a cartoony cemetery just behind a mansion. It was out at the same time as Wolfenstein 3D and looked like Alone in the Dark. Was it Alone in the Dark?

That's all I've got.
It can't look like Alone in the Dark exactly. I say this because I'm aware of what came out around Wolf 3D in terms of titles like AitD. Obviously, Unkillable Cat went over the original titles...except AitD 3, which did have a graveyard behind a mansion, but since you fight some grave diggers there it probably isn't it. The Highlander AitD-clone on Jaguar...was on Jaguar, while Doctor Hauzer...was on 3DO and in Japanese. Ecstatica is the closest I can think of, but since there's no cemetery or mansion and the most obvious aspect of that is the werewolf, I doubt its that either. I assume you mean like the way the backgrounds looked rather than the 3d characters, so...The Dark Half...?
Yeah it wasn't AitD3, and 1995 was way too late. I saw it on one of the PC displays at Walmart back around '92 or '93 maybe. Maybe it was some shareware knockoff or something.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
It was one of those shitty FMV games.
You would fly around some landscapes and locations in first person and will click on highlighted objects.
In the first level you are flying around african savannah.

It was a shit game but i still want to find it for nostalgia reasons.
Long shot from downtown, but... Lost Eden?

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
It was one of those shitty FMV games.
You would fly around some landscapes and locations in first person and will click on highlighted objects.
In the first level you are flying around african savannah.

It was a shit game but i still want to find it for nostalgia reasons.
Long shot from downtown, but... Lost Eden?
Nope, it was much more primitive. It was one of those fmv games where watching movie clips was the entire "gameplay"

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
A game with a cartoony cemetery just behind a mansion. It was out at the same time as Wolfenstein 3D and looked like Alone in the Dark. Was it Alone in the Dark?

That's all I've got.
It can't look like Alone in the Dark exactly. I say this because I'm aware of what came out around Wolf 3D in terms of titles like AitD. Obviously, Unkillable Cat went over the original titles...except AitD 3, which did have a graveyard behind a mansion, but since you fight some grave diggers there it probably isn't it. The Highlander AitD-clone on Jaguar...was on Jaguar, while Doctor Hauzer...was on 3DO and in Japanese. Ecstatica is the closest I can think of, but since there's no cemetery or mansion and the most obvious aspect of that is the werewolf, I doubt its that either. I assume you mean like the way the backgrounds looked rather than the 3d characters, so...The Dark Half...?
Yeah it wasn't AitD3, and 1995 was way too late. I saw it on one of the PC displays at Walmart back around '92 or '93 maybe. Maybe it was some shareware knockoff or something.
The issue is, I'm about 95% sure there are no AitD-style games like that in 1993. The other 5% is that you will never ever find out what this game is, possibly because it might be a computer tech demo rather than an actual game. I have a list of them, something I tend to note down because I like playing games like that every Halloween, so I'm not just throwing it out blindly. So I have to ask, do you remember if its 2D or 3D at all? That actually helps narrow things down, if you can believe it. Perhaps its Nitemare 3D?

That's all I've got.
Sounds a bit like Ecstatica (1994). I can't remember if there was a cemetery in the first game or the sequel, but definitely in one of them. However, the sequel only came out in 97.

Modron

Arcane
Was it one of these two?
These two might be of interest:

The Fifth Disciple - http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/fifth-disciple
Gooka: The Mystery of Janatris - http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/gooka-the-mystery-of-janatris

I've recently picked up both off ebay but I haven't started them yet, so I can't offer any opinions on how they play.
Outside of modern love letters to Quest for Glory and fan remakes there aren't a whole lot of games like Quest for Glory.

Codex Year of the Donut
Was it one of these two?
These two might be of interest:

The Fifth Disciple - http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/fifth-disciple
Gooka: The Mystery of Janatris - http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/gooka-the-mystery-of-janatris

I've recently picked up both off ebay but I haven't started them yet, so I can't offer any opinions on how they play.
Outside of modern love letters to Quest for Glory and fan remakes there aren't a whole lot of games like Quest for Glory.
maybe it was a modern one

definitely looked like QFG-ish so it wasn't either of those two though

Self-Ejected

NIGERundayoHater

Self-Ejected
Three games, all from Sega Genesis era in mid to late 90s

#1:
I remember a strange game that took you to a space station were all the goons where big titted amazonian bimbos with whips trying to beat the shit out of you - Not that whole game had bimbos, it actually had tons of different enemies (none of which where memorable compared big titty bimbos with whips). You could grab them by hair, suspend them and air and then just hit them in stomach till they die lol. Then the final boss of that game was a Gigabimbo dressed in black and she threw some magic shit at you and teleported by going into ground. Other things I can recall is that you could drive a futurastic bike and enlarge bodyparts to kick and punch harder.

I think it was an Arcade, and the dude I played was a blonde guy dressed in blue.

#2:
A HOMM clone on Sega, only that it was "historical" and you had mongol faction, Arab faction, European knight faction, Chinese faction, Indian faction etc. Arab faction rode camels on their knight units and Indians rode on elephants etc. That's all I can recall. I unironically found this game when I was a kid who didn't yet understand the greatness that was HOMM games.

#3:
A strategy game set in Ancient Greece? It seemed like WC3 in terms of unit animations, camera angle and special units (heroes), only that it was older than WC3, had worse graphics and was playable on Sega Genesis. The first mission starts with you having a squad of Spartan looking guys trying to infiltrate a giant Greek city full of hostile units. I remember that I could never beat the first mission because the horsed Greeks could literally kill half my squad and I couldn't recruit units on that type of mission.

You could also play custom which was just like WC3 custom games. Now that I think of it, it seems to me that WC3 probably 100% ripped off those elements from the mentioned game.

J1M

Arcane
RTS. Probably from 90s. Had to write code to program your unit's movement.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Got another one,

- 2D platformer
- pre-2000, probably early to mid 90s
- you are a humanoid fox that wears a black tshirt with an orange "O" on it
- I played it on a Windows PC (probably 386 or 486 or Pentium 1-2) but looks like a DOS game
- basic 2D levels, I remember a forest with grassy ledges you jump on, really simple Mario-level gameplay
- not sure but I think you pick up O-shaped objects (same as those on the tshirt)

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Sonic's sidekick the fox maybe? Can't recall any other platformer with playable fox in it.

Edit: Dunno why but that reminded me Captain Claw, another platformer where we play as a pirate captain cat with his parrot. Games back then were simple yet creative.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Captain Claw is great. Really nice aesthetic and levels. Hard game too. Those guys made Blood later lol.

It's not Claw though, Claw is a cat. It's not Sonic's sidekick either.

Dramart

Learned
Got another one,

- 2D platformer
- I played it on a Windows PC (probably 386 or 486 or Pentium 1-2) but looks like a DOS game
- basic 2D levels, I remember a forest with grassy ledges you jump on, really simple Mario-level gameplay
- not sure but I think you pick up O-shaped objects (same as those on the tshirt)
Fire & Ice?

Parsifarka

Arcane
The first to come to my mind was Titus the Fox, sadly it doesn't hold the orange O theme nor the forest levels but who knows, sometimes memory fails.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Imagine threads like this 10-20 years from now with aged zoomers trying to remember some random Steam shovelware they played when they were kids. Then again I suppose there'll be AI-driven search for that by then.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Got another one,

- 2D platformer
Fire & Ice?
The first to come to my mind was Titus the Fox, sadly it doesn't hold the orange O theme nor the forest levels but who knows, sometimes memory fails.

Thanks guys but nope, neither is

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom