Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What's that game? Don't remember the title? Ask here.

PsihoKekec

Novice
Maybe Titans of Steel?

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Thanks, but no luck on Mobygames. I'm pretty sure I found it on TIG DB but unfortunately it was shut down years ago so I have no way of browsing that now :(

TarBhaal

Novice
I have one that has me stumped. I thought it had "Fable" or "Fables" in the name, but maybe I'm misremembering that and it was only the theme. But, as you can imagine, trying to search on that gives a lot of irrelevant results. I've tried browsing mobygames and abandonware sites, but I'm not finding anything.

• It should be from the early 1980's for the 8086/8088 (think contemporary with Car Builder https://www.mobygames.com/game/7968/car-builder/). It might have existed on other platforms, but that is the only one I had and was familiar with.
  • I don't believe there was any color, just line art and text.
  • Adventure game with a fairy tale theme.
  • You start out on open paths and need to find the correct way into a castle. I don't remember what is in there and don't think I got very far in.
Maybe it just isn't enough to go on at all. I've had better luck with other nostalgia games, and this is the last one I'd like to take a fresh look at if I could.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Maybe it just isn't enough to go on at all. I've had better luck with other nostalgia games, and this is the last one I'd like to take a fresh look at if I could.
I have no idea, but you could try searching through these:
http://solutionarchive.com/list/orderby,year/orderdir,ASC/p,2/platform,8/
They have other platforms if it was actually for something else and/or it used some authoring system which was usable on multiple systems. (Think Infocom's underlying engine)

TarBhaal

Novice
I have no idea, but you could try searching through these:
http://solutionarchive.com/list/orderby,year/orderdir,ASC/p,2/platform,8/
I didn't see anything there, but it did push me to to try mocagh agin. Maybe I hadn't paid attention before or it is just a newer listing, but it looks like it was "The Frog and the Fables" (https://www.mocagh.org/loadpage.php?getgame=talesfantasy). So far I only see references to an Apple II version, but there is actually a play-through on youtube and it looks like the right game as far as I can remember.

Ladonna

Arcane
There was a game we had in the late 90's/early 2000's, and it was based on Close Combat, but it was in 3D and based in Normandy. I remember it being a bit clunky and inferior to the Close Combat games. On the operational map, it had different sectors you could fight in that were, if I remember right, red dots you clicked on to start a battle in.

Does this ring a bell with anyone?

PsihoKekec

Novice
Maybe Soldiers: Heroes of War? Combat Mission would be also an option, but I don't recall it having a Normandy campaign.

Ladonna

Arcane
Maybe Soldiers: Heroes of War? Combat Mission would be also an option, but I don't recall it having a Normandy campaign.

No. First one is too modern. Second one is Combat Mission and turn/phased base. The game I am asking about literally has very similar mechanics to Close Combat apart from it being in 3D.

Just to add, I am pretty sure it had some guys name in the title to, like Joe Bloggs invasion Normandy or whatever.

I cannot find a damn thing about it on the net so far.

Ladonna

Arcane
Maybe a Gary Grigsby game or something like this: https://www.matrixgames.com/game/john-tillers-campaign-series

Should check the rest of the matrix games, lots of stuff there that isn't on other platforms or mobygames including a few GG's games without an entry at moby as well.

Nah, been through it. I remember the Tiller games like East Front, Rising Sun etc. My brother used to play the shit out of them and turn up the music to annoy everyone. It wasn't a GG game either, or SSG, or early SSI. The game I am talking about is 3D Close Combat, in a cludgy fashion, but everything extremely similar (movement, hide, lines to show where to put the pins, etc) and it was set in Normandy.

rolandstones

Novice
Does anyone remember any fighting games on the wii that had that dark 'punk' early 2000s visual style? Like emo shit. Think it came out around Super Mario Galaxy as well.

Häyhä

Arbiter
Does anyone remember any fighting games on the wii that had that dark 'punk' early 2000s visual style? Like emo shit. Think it came out around Super Mario Galaxy as well.

You mean one-on-one fighter or beat em' up style?

Castlevania: Judgement had "emo" art style.

MadWorld is definitely dark and punk, not really emo though:

rolandstones

Novice
It was a one-on-one fighting game. I can't remember if it was 2.5D or 3D, but it wasn't 2D sprites.
I don't think it was Castlevania. It wasn't one of the big titles I'm pretty sure.

jackofshadows

Magister
There was a game, from early 90x pretty sure, some kind of adventure but with alone in the dark style of camera (graphics are also early 3d as I remember). And I even remember the title: Siberia. But it's not 2002 Siberia. In fact, I'm not sure it's the correct title, could be just something pirates hacked in/wrongly translated (it wasn't even translated though I think).

So it has had pretty grim "atmosphere", setting in the near future or alternative present and location was something like oil rig (could be very wrong here). I distinctively remember that the second "level" was where you take control of an air-defence system and shoot down helicopters or something. "Level" because there was no levels but rather save points across the whole game.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
There was a game, from early 90x pretty sure, some kind of adventure but with alone in the dark style of camera (graphics are also early 3d as I remember). And I even remember the title: Siberia. But it's not 2002 Siberia. In fact, I'm not sure it's the correct title, could be just something pirates hacked in/wrongly translated (it wasn't even translated though I think).

So it has had pretty grim "atmosphere", setting in the near future or alternative present and location was something like oil rig (could be very wrong here). I distinctively remember that the second "level" was where you take control of an air-defence system and shoot down helicopters or something. "Level" because there was no levels but rather save points across the whole game.
I believe it's Cyberia, fits perfectly.

jackofshadows

Magister
Definitely looks like it, appreciate the tip gentlemen. What a nostalgic trip am I going to have.

Nathir

Liturgist
Anyone knows the name of a racing game, probably released late 90's. You had cars that were animal themed, like a Cobra or Lion car. They had different stats liek acceleration and speed iirc and you had special weapons you picked up during the race like rockets, bombs etc.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom