Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout What's the reason for the courier to care about the main story of New Vegas?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Did a lot of players resent having to find the waterchip in Fallout?

Some might, if they don't particularly care about saving their vault, annoyed at how the vault overseer is even immortal because he's plot critical. :M

Did they resent having to solve the iron crisis in BG? etc.,

Iron crisis was more of a subplot. The big hook of BG was "Oh no the guy who's been your father for a few minutes has been killed and assassins are after you" (the latter being more of a big deal)

The main story of FNV is: Find the guy who shot you -> ??? -> DAM BATTLE!

Find the guy who shot you, and then be the person at the right place at the right time asked by multiple parties to help reshape the Mojave into being more like what they want it to be. Most people would jump at the chance at having that kind of influence, but apparently others would resist the call and go back to their more humble life as a delivery person.

Codex Year of the Donut
Iron crisis was more of a subplot. The big hook of BG was "Oh no the guy who's been your father for a few minutes has been killed and assassins are after you" (the latter being more of a big deal)
You mean they took one story and then continued it onto another as part of the overall main story instead of just having the story abruptly end when solving the iron crisis until you wander upon your half-brother and the game ends?
Find the guy who shot you, and then be the person at the right place at the right time asked by multiple parties to help reshape the Mojave into being more like what they want it to be. Most people would jump at the chance at having that kind of influence, but apparently others would resist the call and go back to their more humble life as a delivery person.
"Hello random person we have never met, would you like to shape our entire pseudo-country for us? No, we will not ask about your background or aspirations, we just need someone to lead us to victory."
:nocountryforshitposters:

You're making me start to agree with the people saying FNV is a bad game.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
That's not a story, that's worldbuilding.
It's like comparing the Silmarillion to Lord of the Rings.

That's like the "games aren't art, they just have art in them!" argument. The world and the characters have the stories, and your interactions with them form a greater narrative. Whatever terms you want to use for that don't really matter. Point remains that's how the medium is best presented.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
"Hello random person we have never met, would you like to shape our entire pseudo-country for us? No, we will not ask about your background or aspirations, we just need someone to lead us to victory."

All that matters is the chip and the kind of person capable of delivering it.

It's a western where a pony express rider comes into town with an object that will lead to control of the town. Of course all the major players in the town are going to want Pony Express Person on their side, especially after PEP displays a great deal of skill at resolving conflicts. Most PEPs would like the idea of having this kind of importance, rather than delivering it to its intended recipient, saying "I did my job" and then heading back home.

Codex Year of the Donut
That's not a story, that's worldbuilding.
It's like comparing the Silmarillion to Lord of the Rings.

That's like the "games aren't art, they just have art in them!" argument. The world and the characters have the stories, and your interactions with them form a greater narrative. Whatever terms you want to use for that don't really matter. Point remains that's how the medium is best presented.
FNV was basically the Bethesda model, a big sandbox with no real story, except they even forgot the hook that not even Bethesda forgets.
If you like Bethesda games I guess that's your thing, some people are gay and some people wear socks with sandals.

All that matters is the chip and the kind of person capable of delivering it.

It's a western where a pony express rider comes into town with an object that will lead to control of the town. Of course all the major players in the town are going to want Pony Express Person on their side, especially after PEP displays a great deal of skill at resolving conflicts. Most PEPs would like the idea of having this kind of importance, rather than delivering it to its intended recipient, saying "I did my job" and then heading back home.
The courier couldn't even successfully deliver a package without getting himself nearly murdered. Without House, he'd be dead.

Codex Year of the Donut
What's the reason for the courier to care about the main story of New Vegas?

???

It's an open world game, not a narrative-driven game or a novel. The player character's motivation is pretty much the player's interest in the world.
So, it's not an RPG because you're not actually roleplaying?

My opinion of FNV has really sunk thanks to this thread.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
What's the reason for the courier to care about the main story of New Vegas?

???

It's an open world game, not a narrative-driven game or a novel. The player character's motivation is pretty much the player's interest in the world.
So, it's not an RPG because you're not actually roleplaying?

My opinion of FNV has really sunk thanks to this thread.

I don't see how anyone could ever play Fallout: New Vegas and think the mechanics, systems, and content of the game don't support role playing. Whether your bringing down perverse child cannibal cults or helping them, avenging yourself on Benny or saving him, role playing is basically all you do.

The game doesn't provide much of a pregenerated concept of who your character is (unlike the Witcher, or Mass Effect to a lesser extent) except that your job requires you to move around a lot between different locations, but that's not really at the expense of role playing because your choices and actions in the Mojave decide who your character is.

FNV was basically the Bethesda model, a big sandbox with no real story, except they even forgot the hook that not even Bethesda forgets.
In case you're not playing dumb to get funnier replies, what do you call being robbed and almost killed, then getting clues on the location of the culprits?

"But what if I want to play as an actual mailman that just delivers letters and never does anything interesting ever"

Codex Year of the Donut
Yeah, if only the thing they robbed had any relation to the plot...shame it was only a bad dragon dildo. (platinum quality)
M8b3HVi.png

What's that supposed to mean? People can't find Caius Cosades with detailed instructions from the Customs office guy that consist of "Take the insect-bus to Balmora and ask for him at the bar", where you'll be told "he lives on the house at the end of the street".

Codex Year of the Donut
What's that supposed to mean? People can't find Caius Cosades with detailed instructions from the Customs office guy that consist of "Take the insect-bus to Balmora and ask for him at the bar", where you'll be told "he lives on the house at the end of the street".
People sure are getting triggered for pointing out FNV lacks a story.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
What had Shady Sands so special? They give you nice quests but the place wasn't that cool. You even have science dialogue to teach to a farmer how rotation crops work...I was suprised at the ending that this place rather than Hub become NCR.
Shady Sands had Tandi, Queen of the Wasteland and the first president of the New California Republic.

4f81a3.jpg

Bony Hands

Literate
Maybe they just wanted a better job? If you're going to get shot at, you're better off doing so as working under one the the major powers or becoming King of New Vegas rather then a mailman.

Codex Year of the Donut
Maybe they just wanted a better job? If you're going to get shot at, you're better off doing so as working under one the the major powers or becoming King of New Vegas rather then a mailman.
The courier's resume includes failing to deliver an important package and being responsible for a valley full of people being nuked.
I don't think I'd put him at the top of my list for potential employees.

Quillon

Arcane
reaching such levels of retardation and playing dumb(as pointed out) to defend your shit argument, I thought you were better than this lmao

you have 20k posts in this forum and you don't know the difference between RPG with blank slate MC and systemic make your own story games, k

Codex Year of the Donut
reaching such levels of retardation and playing dumb(as pointed out) to defend your shit argument, I thought you were better than this lmao

you have 20k posts in this forum and you don't know the difference between RPG with blank slate MC and systemic make your own story games, k
how come my blank slate character nuked a bunch of people
obsidian defense force, assemble!

Butter

Arcane
Patron
What's the motivation for Gorion's ward to solve the iron crisis? As far as I can tell, he should have no more investment in that than the Courier has in deciding who controls the Mojave. Yet you've repeatedly brought up BG as a positive example.

Codex Year of the Donut
My favorite blank-slate characters are all responsible for nuclear holocaust.
But a reason to care about the story? Why, that's ludicrous.

Come on sawyer cocksuckers, defend it. Just try. Actually use words instead of pressing buttons because your tiny brains can't form sentences.
I guess expecting ESLs to use words instead of funny pictures is too much though.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The courier couldn't even successfully deliver a package without getting himself nearly murdered. Without House, he'd be dead.

No man is an island. You succeed afterwards, don't you?

how come my blank slate character nuked a bunch of people

Avellone doesn't do blank slates (Torment, kotor 2, AP), which was his prerogative as project director on those DLCs. If you don't play them, they're not canon.

Trashos

Arcane
What's the motivation for a courier to care who owns a patch of desert and a dam?
A particularly vengeful character would want to pursue Benny, but it sort of falls apart after that.

It is not clear to me if you are complaining about the PC having no real motivation or about the PLAYER having no real motivation.

If you are complaining about the PLAYER having no motivation, then I guess the setting/story did not intrigue you, which can happen with any setting/story. But you are given plenty of things to potentially care about in New Vegas (they just didn't speak to YOU).

If you are complaining about the PC having no motivation, in the standard storyline he cares about finding the man who shot him. On top of that, the game gives you the freedom to not really give a shit and go fuck around.

I really do not see the problem.

EDIT: rusty_shackleford, if you are finding my post too long, then I can see why you didn't have the focus to enjoy a game like New Vegas.
I am teasing you, man.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom