Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Where do you get your graphic assets from?

I suppose to use it in 2D it must be put into a 3D program and rendered to image.
Just take the Albedo and it'll be fine, its basically what a Diffuse used to be its just that it won't look as nice because all the other texture maps are meant to modify the shader so it looks nicer. You'll still get the details but minus the reflections and depth.
inside.jpg

7b3a480489fc1814975aace6bb981f91.jpg

I want the additional information encoded in the image because I would like that "pop". I have blender which I do not use but perhaps I can render a quad with this material. I fear if you just the the diffuse texture alone, you will get a rather dull/sad look.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
there's a legal problem with that
Technically, and this is not legal advice, not really. Since it just means that you don't own the copyright. It's a machine-derived work, and therefore no one owns the copyright, nor can they.

It's mainly an issue for services like Steam, which are demanding users own the copyright to everything in their games.

I guess the intention is to drive people to paid AIs like Adobe's, which are trained on their own IP...except you still can't own that without modifying the work, so they screwed up and it will likely change.

They can only tell it's stable when it's waifus with weird hands. So your post is incorrect.
They likely just run an AI detector over the assets, which detects diffusion patterns in the image. They may only run it on certain kinds of assets though, since I'm betting certain textures will give false positives.

Probably only a matter of time before people figure out how to hide this though, given that the detection methods appear pretty simple, just like options are out there for bypassing text AI detection now.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
I want the additional information encoded in the image because I would like that "pop". I have blender which I do not use but perhaps I can render a quad with this material. I fear if you just the the diffuse texture alone, you will get a rather dull/sad look.
if you can stomach it, a Quad - orthographical camera shot 90 degrees down, global light mounted to the camera, that'll get you information then that you can use. Just be mindful of issues with tiling textures the lighting will mess it up. Yeah using diffuse on its own is going to look dull but if you take the time and just layer textures and add some fake lighting to textures you can make something look pretty good. That said nothing will beat just painting the textures yourself (aka the Blizzard-stylised method).

I haven't been able to get PBR capture to work in Blender yet. I took a screenshot and it looked OK in a quick mock up, I definately think that aspect is worth persuing.

1eT1ZO7.png

Next, this is what I'd call a "good" texture from a random website. It has textural variation, depth and interest. Detail also. I can work out the repeats easily as well.
FYFLhPv.png

One way I like to work is to have a base model, and then switch up decals for lots of variations - all consistent in style. One thing I find very difficult is round stuff with isometric. A bit of a pig TBH but I like that texture I think it works.
pk1JjKD.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom