Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which Codex classics are you unable to enjoy? - Codex topic of shame

torment_cyoa.jpg

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
ToEE (if that's a classic).

Arcanum: I've finished it back in the day, enjoyed some parts, I wouldn't be able to play it today. I can play F1/2 just fine.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Arcanum is shit. If it was a good game TROIKA WOULDN'T BE DEAD!! *slams door*

Siobhan

Arbiter
Ultima 7 is the worst since it also has that horrific font with yellow text right on the background that makes me cry everytime I read it.
still yellow, but readable: ultima 7 font patch (link in thread doesn't work for me, so google it if you like what you see)

As for the actual thread topic: the codex is full of storyfags and C&C-fags, so there's tons of games I despise that are heralded as the second coming of Christ around here. E.g. everything by Obsidian.

Deleted member 7219

Arcanum, because of everything really. I'm still yet to find good dialogue or reactivity. The combat is horrific but that has never really been a blocker for me.

Baldurs Gate / Baldurs Gate 2 / Icewind Dale / Icewind Dale 2. Awful IE combat. It didn't stop me enjoying Planescape Torment because everything else about that game was really good. Can't say the same for the rest.

Wizardry 8. Awful in every possible way. It was the last time I bought an RPG based on the Codex's recommendation.

Deus Ex. Dialogue and plot hilariously clunky. Combat was shit, even by the standards of the time.

System Shock 2. Just didn't see the point.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Every game ever made is shit, 'cause the combat always sucks lol

Except the games that focus on combat exclusively. Those games don't suck lel

flushfire

Augur
Anything pre-1990 with a few exceptions. It's a little difficult for me to get over older UIs and graphics below VGA.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Every game ever made is shit, 'cause the combat always sucks lol

Except the games that focus on combat exclusively. Those games don't suck lel

If a game has combat and story and the story is mediocre at best and the combat sucks then yes, the game should be looked down on.

PS:T doesn't have the same issues as Arcanum. It's combat is ok but the story is great: it plays to its strengths and minimizes its weaknesses. Compare to Arcanum where you may as well not have combat due to how easy it is to break it.

torpid

Liturgist
So... Dragon Age is a "Codex Classic" now?

:hmmm:

Well it did win the 2009 Best RPG of the year poll :negative:

Anyway I concur, tried twice to play it and both times I dropped it in the town where you meet the Qunari fellow. An insufferable piece of garbage.

And it won "RPG of the year" over Knights of the Chalice, so even the "but it was deep in the decline era!" excuse doesn't work. When people make meta comments about the Codex, they almost always overestimate how hardcore it is. Hell, I remember Mass Effect 2 had quite a following back in the day, too.

Edit: and to actually answer the OP: Arcanum. I remember being attacked by multicolored gorillas in the mountains (yetis?) and stopping shortly afterward.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
So... Dragon Age is a "Codex Classic" now?

:hmmm:

Well it did win the 2009 Best RPG of the year poll :negative:

Anyway I concur, tried twice to play it and both times I dropped it in the town where you meet the Qunari fellow. An insufferable piece of garbage.

And it won "RPG of the year" over Knights of the Chalice, so even the "but it was deep in the decline era!" excuse doesn't work. When people make meta comments about the Codex, they almost always overestimate how hardcore it is. Hell, I remember Mass Effect 2 had quite a following back in the day, too.

HAD a following?

Last I checked people still defend it. Our local fabulous mod Jaesun does last time I checked.

Planescape Torment and Arcanum, and probably bunch of other ones I won't even bother trying. You can add any game with RTwP combat to that list.

SS2 - same (and BioShock is vastly superior anyway)

It's fine to say you didn't like SS2, but claiming that Bioshit is superior is worthy of a dumbfuck tag.

Last edited:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Arcanum is the best RPG ever, fuck the haters.

Baldur's Gate 1 is bland and boring, but BG2 ranks higher on the Codex anyway (and is the better game).

Old Wizardries are hard to play due to interface, yeah, but Wizardry 7 is fine and is the best of the series anyway. No excuse to not at least give it a chance.

Gothic controls need some getting used to, but what the fuck are you, popamolers who need their hands held? Just spend more than two hours with the game and the controls won't be awkward anymore.

Deus Ex? Whoever mentioned Deus Ex is an enormous faggot, yeah the combat sucks but hey you can avoid it and play stealthy. It has so many different approaches to the levels, it's impossible not to enjoy.

PST has acceptable combat, come on, it's not that shit. It's just IE combat with bad encounter design. Also you're immortal so you can just throw yourself at the enemies, die, throw yourself at them again and win cause of attrition. It's not shit to the point of making it unplayable.

I can understand when people have problems getting into late 80s games due to the shitty cumbersome interfaces, heck I am guilty of that myself, but anything from early 90s onwards is okay and can be gotten into if you just give it a chance. Nothing but faggots in this thread.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Arcanum, because of everything really. I'm still yet to find good dialogue or reactivity. The combat is horrific but that has never really been a blocker for me.

Baldurs Gate / Baldurs Gate 2 / Icewind Dale / Icewind Dale 2. Awful IE combat. It didn't stop me enjoying Planescape Torment because everything else about that game was really good. Can't say the same for the rest.

Wizardry 8. Awful in every possible way. It was the last time I bought an RPG based on the Codex's recommendation.

Deus Ex. Dialogue and plot hilariously clunky. Combat was shit, even by the standards of the time.

The Codex of the future is today.

Gozma

Arcane
Can't imagine ever getting more than an hour into BG1/2 now before I quit, but I'm pretty sure I finished BG2 at one point when I could enjoy pretty much any non-novel non-film D&D media.

Ultima anything, Wizardry anything, non-Geneforge Vogel.

Edit - I could never get into Incursion and I figured KotC is the same thing, I never got cracked out about 3rd edition D&D sperging as a 1e/2e man so it has no basic appeal to me

Last edited:

Volrath

Arcane
Patron

The Codex of the future is today.
That's silly, Matt has always been consistent in showing his utterly shit taste.

Anyway:
ToEE: Troika made a combat engine and didn't have time for anything else. What a waste of fucking time.
Knights of the Chalice: muh grafix, I really tried to get into this.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Honestly, I never finished Arcanum. Every so often I try, and then just lose interest somewhere along the way. And it's not that I'm driven away by the shit combat and mandatory dungeon crawls; I have a high tolerance for crap if the game excels in other areas, which Arcanum does. I think it comes down to the art and colour palette of the game, it just looks ugly and depressing to me.

Ditto for New Vegas. I can see how it's basically the real Fallout 3 in terms of plot, setting, quest design, C&C, and so forth. It's just that the Bethesda open world formula and engine are so ill-suited for this kind of content, that the whole thing feels extremely schizophrenic. I even understand popamolers who prefer Fallout 3, which is at least consistent in its design as a goofy post-apocalyptic theme park.

Finally, even though I finished BG1 as a kid, and loved it back then, it's a really mediocre game overall. I'd even venture to say Bioware's more recent offerings, like the first Dragon Age, are better.

V_K

Arcane
Gothic controls need some getting used to, but what the fuck are you, popamolers who need their hands held? Just spend more than two hours with the game and the controls won't be awkward anymore.
I actually finished G2 after cheating a bit so as not to die horribly in every other combat.
I'm dyspraxic so these days I just avoid games with involved action combat. But I didn't know it back then so it was rather frustrating.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom