Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which of the following classic RPG series is the best?

Which series of the best?

• Might&Magic

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Final Fantasy

• Dragon Quest

• Ultima

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Wizardry

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

larpingdude14

Scholar
Wow... I just discovered that Heroes of Might&Magic is a spinoff of M&M.

mirrorshades

Liturgist
larpingdude14 said:
Wow... I just discovered that Heroes of Might&Magic is a spinoff of M&M.

najboaabc.jpg

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
I liked Teudogar and the Alliance with Rome (an Ultima clone) better than Wizardry 7 or any Final Fantasy game. Never played a Might and Magic or Dragon Quest.

I'll eventually get to playing Ultima VII, someday.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
Someday happened to be today. Ultima VII is exponentially better than Wizardry and Final Fantasy. Are Dragon Quest or Might & Magic any good?

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
larpingdude14 doesn't exist anymore. Stop posting in his threads until he's renamed larpingdude15.

pssst !
*someone make that name unavailable*

Binary

Liturgist
No Bard's Tale, no Magic Candle, no Quest for Glory... this thread FAILs

Ishar and Eye of Beholder are from the 90s but classics as well.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Only Might and Magic. Perfect balance of exploration, progression, character development...they are just a really enjoyable series of games that almost never feel like a slog.. Only MM1 at the start was a real tough grind that felt more like something to be endured and of course the unfinished(unstarted?)MM9.

Wizardry might be more hard core but I never really enjoyed it all that much. Same with Ultimas. I never finshed any Wiz or Ultima games, but have been through most Might and Magic games.

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
commie said:
Only Might and Magic. Perfect balance of exploration, progression, character development...they are just a really enjoyable series of games that almost never feel like a slog.. Only MM1 at the start was a real tough grind that felt more like something to be endured and of course the unfinished(unstarted?)MM9.

Wizardry might be more hard core but I never really enjoyed it all that much. Same with Ultimas. I never finshed any Wiz or Ultima games, but have been through most Might and Magic games.

Really? I always thought of M&M as a dumbed down Wizardry?

This is a question btw, not an actual judgement as I've yet to really give any of the M&M games a real shot.

EDIT: Perhaps 'dumbed down' is not the right phrase - 'less hardcore' or 'more light hearted' may be more appropriate. Either of which could be a good or bad thing, depending on what you prefer.

7hm

Scholar
If you're planning on playing through them, Might and Magic.

They're all still more than playable as well as awesome.

I wouldn't give someone wizardry 1-4 (5? don't know much about it) or ultima 1-3.

I'm obviously ignoring the kingcomrade options.

Nael

Arcane
AlaCarcuss said:
commie said:

This is a question btw, not an actual judgement as I've yet to really give any of the M&M games a real shot.

EDIT: Perhaps 'dumbed down' is not the right phrase - 'less hardcore' or 'more light hearted' may be more appropriate. Either of which could be a good or bad thing, depending on what you prefer.

Might and Magic 3 is a fun one to play through. It's retro but with a nice color palette to make it visually stimulating as well.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
AlaCarcuss said:
Perhaps 'dumbed down' is not the right phrase - 'less hardcore' or 'more light hearted' may be more appropriate. Either of which could be a good or bad thing, depending on what you prefer.
Aggressive rant deleted, I'll just focus on this paragraph. Consider yourself lucky you added it ;)

M&M are definitely simpler. Aside from 1 (which can be quite unforgiving) M&M games are easier. Not easy mind you (aside from maybe 8), just not the assrape that the Wizardries are fondly remembered for. In Wizardry you didn't save, the game saved for you - so if you lost your chars, you either cheated or started over with a new party (and tried to fetch your old one back). Even worse, in Wiz2, losing your party meant coming back to Wiz1, creating a new party there, leveling it up then importing it into Wiz2 to rescue your original Wiz2 party. By comparison MM1 allowed you to save in all of five places in the world map! Piece of cake!

As I mentioned (in the newer thread I think) each series has a different focus. For straight dungeon crawling with tactical combat Wiz are better, as they have more options and the difficulty makes you focus much more carefully on what you're doing. M&M doesn't have this, but it also has something that the early Wizardries (well, all except 7-8 really) utterly lacked: huge open worlds to explore. With such a focus I think going for less-hardcore was an excellent choice. Had M&M been just as hardcore as Wiz it would've significantly detracted from the joy of exploring the world, as your focus gets shifted to individual combats instead. I really do love both, and my preference for M&M is only because I'm more of an explorationfag than a combatfag. YMMV, but do give M&M a try if you haven't. 3's a good one to start, but if you like being raped by an unforgiving game then go for 1 instead and build your way up.

About the only clear element where Wizardry wins over M&M is that Wiz ended on a high note while M&M ended with a horrible title. But Wizardry had its run of mediocrity too. I find 5 to be pretty boring, and 2-3 are pretty much impossible to win without cheating (save backup) unless you have way, WAY too much time on your hand.

TheLostOne

Savant
Nael said:
Clockwork Knight said:
made said:
Arbitrary req of at least 8 games so TES has to stay the fuck out.

The Elder Scrolls release timeline
2011 The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
2007 The Elder Scrolls IV: Shivering Isles
2006 The Elder Scrolls IV: Knights of the Nine
2006 The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
2004 The Elder Scrolls Travels: Shadowkey
2004 The Elder Scrolls Travels: Dawnstar
2003 The Elder Scrolls Travels: Stormhold
2003 The Elder Scrolls III: Bloodmoon
2002 The Elder Scrolls III: Tribunal
2002 The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
1998 The Elder Scrolls Adventures: Redguard
1997 An Elder Scrolls Legend: Battlespire
1996 The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall
1994 The Elder Scrolls: Arena

tee hee

:Whereishorsearmoramirite:

:thumbsup:

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
AlaCarcuss said:
commie said:

Well I did say the Wizardry was more hardcore, not less, and that's one of the reasons I never really got into them in the past. I'll have to remedy that though.

Nael said:
Might and Magic 3 is a fun one to play through. It's retro but with a nice color palette to make it visually stimulating as well.

It's my favorite as much for sentimental reasons as pure gameplay, being my first Might and Magic game and after the SSI Gold Box games it was like something from another world with that vibrant palette and all round slickness(WTF mouse support?). :)

The Might and Magics seem to have aged a bit better as a series than some of the earlier Wizardry or Ultima games as well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom