Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Who has the Natuk CD here?

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Nahlakh was great game. :salute:
I remember my frustration when I found what only holy sword +5 (former +7 before travel to demon's world) may scratch Nahlakh.

By the way, do you remember what spider dagger do?

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Jokes about dozens of fans aside, how well did Natuk sell? I'm always interested to see how well these things do, and it seems to have stayed in the underground gaming consciousness at least somewhat.

You'll probably have my order soon, just need to get around to going through the demo :) Are saves transferable?

Perhaps you are a whippersnapper! Back in the olden days (ok, the late 90s), an .mp3 decoder basically took up most of your system resources. So your options for background music running simultaneously with your game that didn't horribly bog everything down were basically Redbook audio (i.e., play right off the CD as seen in Total Annihilation or Warcraft II ), or crummy synthesized music off the sound card (as in, hmm, Ultima 7 or Master of Magic for examples that don't make me want to gouge out my ears). The CD worked better for us since Dave had a direct recording thingamabob for his keyboards and I wasn't really keen on figuring out how to do Soundblaster synthesized music anyway.

Plus we thought HEY PEOPLE WILL HAVE TO BUY THE CD WE'LL MAKE MILLIONS!

No, I am just not versed in the specifics and became enraged over not having the Natuk music on anything bar my desktop, a larger laptop, or buying an external drive. I blame it solely on you naturally.

can answer a definite maybe. It would be much easier if I had never used Watcom C, I tell you that. The structure size differences between Watcom and Visual C are maddening. It may be easier in the long run for me to write some data converter thingie, I dunno. But honestly, the whole project really got away from me in a scale sense. The world is way too big and empty, and so this is like, a retirement or when I win the lottery project, really.

Right now I am in a minimalist phase. I've been appreciating Ultima V more, for example, so my puttering-when-I-should-be-working has been on a thing that looks a lot like Ultima V.

Hopefully you will win the lottery then.

However, an Ultima V game sounds...brilliant. I just finished a playthrough of it myself.

have literally dozens of fans, it's astounding!

Actually I think the biggest thing that makes me smile is Helherron. The first time I saw screenshots I was like.... holy shit. Someone liked Nahlakh THAT much? That was awesome.

You seemed to have missed out on the Vogel lucky streak back in the early 90's. There was one games journo who stumbled across Exile, and then raved on about it every chance he got. Without this, Vogel would have fallen by the wayside. You should have befriended a game journalist.

These days, your games get more airtime than they ever did in a way. Unfortunately, they all have old year numbers on them. It seems to matter to some people, and it surprises me everytime I bring them up in an Indy forum, people say "huh, never heard of that game before! Wow!". This is invariably followed by "oh, look how old it is, lol". Like that matters...

Anyway, keep on puttering. Hopefully something else will pop up again on the Proudfoot site in the future. Just keep vigilant against those spammers on your forums.

proudft

Novice
Fowyr said:

I'm pretty sure it sometimes splats a web on the person you hit.

proudft

Novice
POOPOO MCBUMFACE said:
Jokes about dozens of fans aside, how well did Natuk sell? I'm always interested to see how well these things do, and it seems to have stayed in the underground gaming consciousness at least somewhat.

You'll probably have my order soon, just need to get around to going through the demo :) Are saves transferable?

Though I have kept records for taxes and stuff, they are spread across ten years and multiple computers. My best guess is about 400.

Yep, saves are transferrable. The only thing that gets screwed up is if you have some custom icons in slots 1-8, the ones off the CD will overwrite them (whoops).

proudft said:
POOPOO MCBUMFACE said:

Though I have kept records for taxes and stuff, they are spread across ten years and multiple computers. My best guess is about 400.

Yep, saves are transferrable. The only thing that gets screwed up is if you have some custom icons in slots 1-8, the ones off the CD will overwrite them (whoops).

Is the demo updated with the beta patch? Wouldn't want any newbie getting annoyed thinking that the game has issues on newer systems.

SkeleTony

Augur
Heh...sorry about the "dozens of..." remark Tom. I didn't really put much thought into how many actually probably bought Natuk and was just trying to make the point that for small indie games, pirating is way less common than with mainstream games and unless you are Jeff Vogel(who once said that if any of his games were only being played by as few as 50 people he would stop doing games altogether), you probably don't have much to worry about.

proudft

Novice
No, no, I joke about it myself. It probably IS dozens, you know.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
proudft said:
Fowyr said:

I'm pretty sure it sometimes splats a web on the person you hit.
Thanks. Another mistery solved.

SkeleTony

Augur
Yep according to the Nahlakh hint book(which I am looking at right now but I believe you can still download the PDF from Tom's site), "spider" weapons web opponents struck.

Ah...HERE is the Nahlakh hint book.

proudft

Novice
Man, that printer was awesome. I bet it still works. If only I had a computer with a parallel port. Indestructible 1990 HP Inkjet hoooooooo!

SkeleTony

Augur
Maybe it is senseless nostalgia in me, I don't know but I really hate that all documentation for games now days is electronic. I still get all giddy picking up your little Nahlakh "Information book" and looking things up. I know there are many advantages to PDFs and even wordpad documents(i.e. you can zoom, enlarge text, they don't get coffee stains etc.) but there is something special about physical books.

I am a comic book collector(indie, low budget comics for the most part...go figure.) as well and I absolutely refuse to read web comics or 'e-comics'. If I cannot hold the book in my hands it is damned near worthless to me.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
I think a lot of people think the same. Same goes for normal books; I realise the massive advantages all these e-readers offer and I don't give a shit, I'm a firm luddite when it comes to the written word.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Blackadder said:
I wish to put it on my laptop and still listen to the music. Unfortunately

Sorry for being obvious here, but have You tried ripping the audio tracks into mp3s? (And running them in an external player.)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom