Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why did Generic-Giant-Spider get nuked from orbit?

Vatnik Wumao
I don't even know where the report button is.
dFGkq1X.png

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Reminder leftist preach tolerance when they are not in power to get there, once they are in power they go full censorship.

No, we always tell everyone that we don't consider free speech an absolute nor a basic requirement. And yes, once we have the power we will make sure you follow our rules. Nothing secretive about it
You are a bit optimistic here most people are just larping and never stand up for anything.

darkpatriot

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I'll tell you something, it starts with that. That's how it always starts. With good intentions. Oh, we'll just shut down excessive shouting so everyone has a fair shot.

But then it grows. It always grows. I've seen it in every community. First come the rules. Then, the moderators. Then, the moderation over time grows stricter.

You must fight this tooth and nail because you'll lose freedom. You think it's worth it to shut down a few troublemakers but I'm telling you from experience it never ever stops there. And once you open that door you can't ever close it and it'll open ever wider.

There's a difference between shouting loudly (which didn't affect the other person's freedom to shout themselves or wait until the shouting dies down) and silencing the one who shouts. Now tell me again which one of those is silencing speech?
Behavior is not speech. And if the argument is actually free-behavior and that people should be able to engage in any behavior they want, I don't really agree with that. While I generally think the fewer rules and restrictions the better, there are certain behaviors that should be regulated.

That is often misunderstood in debates about free speech, because many behaviors are expressed through speech and people equate them with speech. And on forums it is even easier to equate because speech is basically the only means of interaction.

Harassment is a behavior, it is not speech. And harassment is not the same thing as shouting, despite the way you are trying to claim they are the same.

I don't think there is any particularly notable benefit to harassment that would overcome its many negatives. One of those negatives being that it is used to shut down speech. Harassment is anti-speech. I think harassment is very much a type of behavior that should be regulated but still balanced against the concerns that the anti-harassment rules would be weaponized by those acting in bad faith.

I don't think the Codex's rule on what harassment is or the process for enforcing it is particularly capable of being weaponized. I don't think simple banter is capable of getting unfairly ruled as harrassment.

For what it is worth, I do share the concerns about excess moderation, even with good intentions. And the slippery slope of more and more moderation is a real concern, as more moderation creates more opportunities for people to try to game the system to try to weaponize the rules against someone else or otherwise prohibit something that could be beneficial.

But not every slope is so slippery that the slightest step leads all the way to the bottom, in fact very few slopes are that slippery.

But I am open to hearing any arguments from someone if they feel harassment has benefits and should be allowed. Especially when the bar for getting in trouble for it involves prolonged behavior and being warned to knock it off repeatedly by multiple people. I don't see any slipperiness there.

Harassment is a behavior, it is not speech. And harassment is not the same thing as shouting, despite the way you are trying to claim they are the same.

I don't think there is any particularly notable benefit to harassment that would overcome its many negatives. One of those negatives being that it is used to shut down speech. Harassment is anti-speech. I think harassment is very much a type of behavior that should be regulated but still balanced against the concerns that the anti-harassment rules would be weaponized by those acting in bad faith.

I don't think the Codex's rule on what harassment is or the process for enforcing it is particularly capable of being weaponized. I don't think simple banter is capable of getting unfairly ruled as harrassment.
A lot of gibberish over harassment when that isn't what this was. Cokehead troon fiend had the tools to deal with this and chose to be a narc instead. It would've been harassment if GGS circumvented said tools ie creating an alt to keep pestering the worst Brazilian poster on the site to avoid the function of the ignore feature.

darkpatriot

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
No one's tried to silence you or Khor despite you both coming in to shit up every politics thread. Maybe you should learn what 'free speech' actually is. You might find out it actually could be words you dislike.

False. There have been some folks who have tried sniffing around my flanks, both in the shoutbox and on threads, to try to make things personal and unpleasant to try to drive me away, but I have a fairly thick skin, a strong will, and enough experience to recognize the intention behind such acts to respond with the proper level of passive aggression, unresponsiveness, and calling out to see off such efforts.

ElectricOtter

no1 cares about u darkpatriot xd

poltard rabble that has been here for 12 years and could vanish tomorrow without any fanfare xd xd

SumDrunkGuy

I'm bummed out. Despite being a serial rapist he was actually a very nice guy. Always had my back.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Are you saying no one should ever be banned here, Jasede?

You've been here long enough to know that's ludicrous. Only the most persistent of assholes here at Codex get the axe. And that's usually after they've been warned, discouraged, etc. GGS is no exception to this process.

Sure, it's a slippery slope when it comes to who goes and who stays; I can agree that it should never come down to a matter of popularity or silly power plays, but, at the end of the day, it's actually quite simple here. If you manage to piss off the people who actually do or who claim to run the place, and you do it often enough, that is the only real standard that we have to determine their fate. GGS pushed it too far, got DU's undivided attention, DU got sick of dealing with him (and hearing about him from the people he relies upon to be here when he's not) and thus pushed the nuke button. It really is no more complicated than that.

So does that mean some one or some group "won"? Does it mean that Theodora runs RPG Codex now?

No. All it means is that DU likes to push important-looking buttons. That's all anyone here really needs to know.
I'm not responding to this particular banning, because he seems to have done himself in, but there have been some strange bannings in the past 18 months. Both timed, and permanent. The Wall being the most recent one.

Moderation policy is all over the place in general. Some people can shitpost for ages, and get away with it. Sometimes, someone says something, and they'll be sniped in the head 360 no scope.

SumDrunkGuy

There never used to be so many snitches. Snitches are like roaches. When you spot one you can bet your ass there's thousands more. I've never reported a single person in my 8 year tenure here. If you have tissue paper thin skin you were never meant to be here, bitch.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom