Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why I like RPG Codex.

ecliptic

Liturgist
One of the innumerable reasons I love this place is the fact that news items on MMORPGs are rare / non-existant.

I've stopped visiting countless other RPG sites because it became a waste of my time to read news items of which a vast majority (+90%) were related to previewing MMORPGs and reviewing MMORPGs. It doesn't matter what the gameplay or graphics are like, I'm not paying 40-50 dollars for one of these games then shelling out more money each month to be largely in the company of idiots. Here at college I get that experience for free.

No wait, I don't. I'm horribly in debt. But that's besides the point.

Another fact: I've never regularly followed a forum before, but you guys have shamed me into it, I can't stop religiously checking new posts. Damn you all and your intriguing mostly well thought out posts.

Anyways, thanks to the staff here, after the GIA died (even though it was a very different site, it had in many ways the same aura as here), I had thought all hope was lost.

Zetor

Arcane
Whoa, another person who read the GIA... eeexcellent.

I'd also take this opportunity to hop on ye olde bandwagon -- I'm not really a "prolific poster" type, but this place has enough [again, mostly <g>] intellectual discourse and interesting topics to make delurking worth it.

Also, we get to see an SP - Arcadian deathmatch. I mean, come on, you guys should charge an entry fee for that alone! :P

-- Z.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Yep, I agree with you on this one. I stopped visiting a number of sites after they devoted most of their attention to MMORPGs for whatever stupid reason. RPG Codex on the other hand has it all: style, integrity, charm, great collection of charismatic but totally fucked up forum members :lol: , and of course the one and only SP that people either love or hate :D So I'll use this opportunity to say thank you to everybody from admin to all members who've made visiting this site such an enjoyable and educational (more Byzantine hystory anyone? :lol: ) experience.

chrisbeddoes

Erudite
Zetor said:
Whoa, another person who read the GIA... eeexcellent.

I'd also take this opportunity to hop on ye olde bandwagon -- I'm not really a "prolific poster" type, but this place has enough [again, mostly <g>] intellectual discourse and interesting topics to make delurking worth it.

Also, we get to see an SP - Arcadian deathmatch. I mean, come on, you guys should charge an entry fee for that alone! :P

-- Z.

Arcanum has broken MANY of those rules .

Nagling

Educated
Heh Let me stroke Saints (and the others) ego :)
The reason I like RPGcodex is that the reviews and newsdiggers views more often then not can be used when and if I buy a new RPG…
Something that isn’t the case with most of the others I read to keep informed.
The Forums usually have at least one good discussion going but although I am a very active poster that’s second..

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
hey

I come basically because this site doesn't worship Bioware like all the other sites, I thought I was the only one who didn't like their games but then I found this site. :D

Jack_Deth

Augur
Patron
Insert Title Here
I like it because I first went to Duck & Cover, there Fallout site basically and I knew most of the staff from over on that side. And its nice to hear what other RPGs are good from Fallout fans.

They don't worship Bioware, they worship Troika :lol:

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I like RPG Codex because I don't have any other choice. It'd be like hating your bastard offspring, and that'd just be wrong.

Rosh

Erudite
But Saint, you DO hate your bastard offspring! :twisted:

EEVIAC

Erudite
My very first exposure to RPGCodex was the Harbinger review. I laughed, I checked the news page, and realized how much I've missed RPG's.

A few aspects of RPGCodex Forums that impress me : even posts that I assume come from people where English is not their first language, have a better syntax than local forums where they don't have an excuse. Other than that, people don't "LEWL!!!!!!11111" at me indiscriminately.

Psilon

Erudite
I heard about this place on DAC as well, though I never posted anything in the forums. I already knew about Spiderweb from their ads at PvP, but a lot of the other independent RPGs would have passed me by.

Not only are the posts usually well-written, but they're pretty much devoid of the usual trolling.

Moriveth

Novice
I've been reading this site since it was first announced... on DAC, I think.

Anyway, I love this site (and DAC as well) because of the pure, unadulterated sarcasm present in most of the news posting. It's refreshing to see something like that, a personal touch that you wouldn't see in someplace like Gamespy or Blues News (though I check those too for more gaming news :lol: )

Anyway, here's to RPGCodex and hoping for much more personalized news coverage.

::raises glass::

Sabotai

Liturgist
I immediately liked the critical nature of RPGCodex. The thing which got me on board was the NWN review of SP.

So, will SoU get an official Saint Proverbius review?

EEVIAC

Erudite
Sabotai said:
I immediately liked the critical nature of RPGCodex. The thing which got me on board was the NWN review of SP.

I fully concur. I want to read criticism of games because often the poor game aspects will detract from my enjoyment beyond what positive gameplay elements there may be(Deus Ex faux-freeform ness and games with individual mission based structures instead of contiguous gameplay come to mind immeadiately.) Both praise and criticism as as valid as each other and yet in mainsteam media the trend seems to be that if a reviewer has a remotely positive opinion of a game, they neglect to devote enough time to its faults.

And the NWN developed a certain amount of trust for the people writing for the site. Putting the Role back in RPG's surmises it perfectly.

Spazmo

Erudite
Good luck getting Saint to shell out more money on SoU, Sabotai. And you'll need even more luck to get Bio to send Saint a review copy.

EEVIAC

Erudite
Spazmo said:
And you'll need even more luck to get Bio to send Saint a review copy.

If Bioware care about their credibility they should rightly send Rx a review copy. If they have faith that SoU is in fact a good role playing gaming, there shouldn't be an issue. There wasn't anything deliberately malicious (that I can recall) in the NWN review, it was critical and it validly justfied those critiques (as a review should.)

Vault Dweller said:
Yeah, I can see that happening :lol:

Or perhaps this answers my question already.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
EEVIAC said:
If they have faith that SoU is in fact a good role playing gaming, there shouldn't be an issue. There wasn't anything deliberately malicious (that I can recall) in the NWN review, it was critical and it validly justfied those critiques (as a review should.)
In my experience with a business world, nobody cares about and likes justified criticism. The modern motto has shifted from "customer is always right" to "you don't like it - take your business elsewhere". In regard to Bioware, I don't believe for a second that Saint's criticism came like a shock to them: they are perfectly aware of NWN's shortcomings and they are not interested in fixing those.

Anyway, let's not turn it into another "Bioware sucks" thread, so who else likes RPG Codex? Common, people, don't by shy to express your feelings, you can cry if you want to :lol:

What I really, really like about this place is a sense of a community. It feels very different from any other forum place I've been to.

Sabotai

Liturgist
Spazmo said:
Good luck getting Saint to shell out more money on SoU, Sabotai.
I know. But that will be a dillemma we are all facing in order to be critical of SoU. It´´s easy to be critical of the E3 and other SoU previews. But the actual game might be different (probably a very small chance at that but alas). Most RPGCodex members bought and played NWN and hence their criticism had a basis. If we want to be critical of SoU we should at least have tried (and bought) it.

Or we all can chip in some money in order to let Saint buy a copy of SoU.

Jed

Cipher
Sabotai said:
Or we all can chip in some money in order to let Saint buy a copy of SoU.
You can lead Saint to a review copy, but the real question is: can you make him play?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom