Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why is pickpocketing a thing?

Codex Year of the Donut
also, a bunch of quests in deadfire can be solved by pickpocketing but I encountered quite a few bugs last time I did it and was blatantly obvious nobody else really bothered to use it or test it at all
most common bug was being able to acquire the same quest item/reward twice

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Games basically gice you two options:

Invest in pickpocket skill
Get caught anyway
Entire town trying to kill you now
Just reload until you succeed

OR

Put zero points into pickpocketing
Never miss it at all

It works as a skill where you can steal unique items from enemies during combat and only get them in these situations and combat is random encounter based, so no way to savescum

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
I really enjoyed how pickpocketing worked in Kingdom Come. It's the only RPG I can remember playing where I was spending a fair amount of time dabbling in pickpocketing. Usually, that skill is hard pass for me in games, but in that game it was really enjoyable.
That's because Kingdom Come limits how many saves you can make. It's a waste to use up a Savior Schnapp on a pickpocketing attempt, so you're more likely to roll with the punches. In most games, pickpocketing is just another casualty of savescumming.

Technomancer

Liturgist
Entire town trying to kill you now
Wasn't so in Dragon Age. People would just do a funny little angry animation if you got caught. And this also activated extra random encounters where kill parties would ambush you and make you pay. So getting caught was better - you unlocked extra content, earned even more xp and loot.

Harthwain

Magister
I really enjoyed how pickpocketing worked in Kingdom Come. It's the only RPG I can remember playing where I was spending a fair amount of time dabbling in pickpocketing. Usually, that skill is hard pass for me in games, but in that game it was really enjoyable.
That's because Kingdom Come limits how many saves you can make. It's a waste to use up a Savior Schnapp on a pickpocketing attempt, so you're more likely to roll with the punches. In most games, pickpocketing is just another casualty of savescumming.
In general Kingdom Come: Deliverence did many things right. I liked making potions, for example, but you if you didn't you could dedicate a skill to automatically create a potion. The only downside of this was that auto-brewing gave you fewer potions out of the same number of ingredients. I found ALL thief-related skills (stealth, pickpocketing and lockpicking) to be useful in Kingdom Come: Deliverence. To make it even better, using black cloth and no clinking armour also helped your sneaking skill. As LarryTyphoid said, limited saving made illegal activities (not just pickpocketing, but also picking locks in the open) an adrenaline-pumping exercise, because it wasn't worth wasting your time going back in time to try again most of the time.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Why is Thief a class/profession in many RPG's?
Because you need someone who's good at scouting, noticing details, disarming (or arming) traps and occasionally opening a chest that doesn't belong to you.

And, well, someone who used to be (or still is) a thief is a good fit for that role in an adventurer's party. It's very much a legitimate RPG class.

Zeriel

Arcane
Because pen and paper RPGs had them, and they could do it well. The DM wouldn't just be like "lol, the entire town turns hostile and starts chasing you down", if you failed you would get someone chasing after you, and maybe get thrown in jail. But if you got away, everything would be okay, and maybe the guy you stole from would recognize you later. Meanwhile the digital DM can't do something that intelligent, so everyone in town turns hostile and tries to kill you. If the game is slightly more intelligent the guards will run up to you and let you pay gold to avoid getting torn limb from limb, or maybe just throw you in jail if you get caught.

The other side of this is that in games you can always reload, which makes the whole "punishment" aspect of the system optional and just for "RPing". Whereas in an actual tabletop game you have to just roll with the punches.

I think games that make thieving an entire lifepath are fine though and very compelling. For example, Europa 1400 The Guild.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
This is the solution then. I noticed playing on Iron Man makes me not even consider doing pickpocket because I will ruin my game or just die. Limited saves might be the sweet spot.

Harthwain

Magister
Meanwhile the digital DM can't do something that intelligent, so everyone in town turns hostile and tries to kill you. If the game is slightly more intelligent the guards will run up to you and let you pay gold to avoid getting torn limb from limb, or maybe just throw you in jail if you get caught.
It all depends on how the game is made. You could come up with some very detailed reactions, but doing something like this for things that aren't main focus of the game is going to eat resources that are needed elsewhere.

Harthwain

Magister
I think Disco Elysium should have innovated pickpocket since it did not do much else.
High Interfacing turns you into a kleptomaniac. Similarly to how having high Electrochemistry turns you into an addict. I think some people on the Codex really missed this aspect of the game. If they even played it, that is.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I think Disco Elysium should have innovated pickpocket since it did not do much else.
High Interfacing turns you into a kleptomaniac. Similarly to how having high Electrochemistry turns you into an addict. I think some people on the Codex really missed this aspect of the game. If they even played it, that is.
Worth trying eventually I suppose.

Funposter

Arcane
In general Kingdom Come: Deliverence did many things right. I liked making potions, for example, but you if you didn't you could dedicate a skill to automatically create a potion. The only downside of this was that auto-brewing gave you fewer potions out of the same number of ingredients. I found ALL thief-related skills (stealth, pickpocketing and lockpicking) to be useful in Kingdom Come: Deliverence. To make it even better, using black cloth and no clinking armour also helped your sneaking skill. As LarryTyphoid said, limited saving made illegal activities (not just pickpocketing, but also picking locks in the open) an adrenaline-pumping exercise, because it wasn't worth wasting your time going back in time to try again most of the time.
The best thing about Pickpocketing is that it's the only way to get certain dice for Farkle, and even in a game where the economy is broken by the availability of high-end gear, swindling stupid peasants out of their gold never gets old.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
In Fallout 2 you can head straight to NCR and get yourself a Light Support Weapon from one of the guards at Buster's Bazaar. In normal and unpatched Fallout 2 this guard had a Bozar,one of the strongest weapons in the game. I cannot remember which patch replaced it,but this seems to be the case in Fallout 2 Restoration Project.
As you can see,pickpocket is also useful in Fallout 2(depending on your playstyle).

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Was just pointing out the points you need to take in pickpocket without savescumming are kinda high so would require some investment.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Why is Thief a class/profession in many RPG's?
To make the game more inclusive towards black players
Screenshot_2015-05-09_at_7.11.19_PM.jpg

Bigg Boss

Arcane
PweGZ5r.jpg

To the person it did not load for - a pic of a two black people dancing and the guy has his hands in her purse.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom