Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why isn't AoD building more hype in the indie community?

Radisshu

Prophet
Or is it? I know there are a bunch of indie developer blogs, although I've only followed http://www.tigsource.com/, and I find it really puzzling that nobody on that blog has written anything on AoD, considering they stretch from writing about really ambitious games like Machinarium, to entertaining browser games, to roguelikes, to "art" games, to really shitty games by lazy designers that try to pass their crap off as "art" games. AoD fits in there somewhere, doesn't it? Is it just that they don't know about it, or have I missed something?

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Hard to be hyped for this long I'm afraid.

Or they played the combat demo and were dissapointed. Like me.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
They probably will. When AoD will be released. No reason to overhype it now, everyone will forget it by the time it's released anyway.

larpingdude18

Educated
Radisshu said:
http://www.tigsource.com/

because it doesn't look like this:

big_pixel_425.png

Konjad said:
They probably will. When AoD will be released. No reason to overhype it now, everyone will forget it by the time it's released anyway.

This.

Especially when you factor in that:
(a) most indie (as in 'unpaid', not 'independent but professional') games, even ones that look like they are reaching late stages of development, never make it to release.
(b) Most indie games that do get released are godawful, even ones that look promising from their development hype (if the game doesn't look good in the developer's own hype, then it sure isn't likely to get any better from there).

I can certainly understand folks having a policy of ignoring indies (other than roguelikes, being easier to get to a state fit for release) until they are actually released.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
hype generally starts for indies when something very close to a final salable product manifests

nobody wants to rave on 4chan about this amazing turn based rpg that makes bioware look like monkeys when all anyone can do is watch youtube videos of very brief snippets or play an outdated and unstable combat tech demo that was released not so much to build hype for the quality of the final product but to get feedback and bug reports

torpid

Liturgist
It was being hyped over a year ago, if I remember correctly, with some juicy interviews featuring VD in all his raging glory, but nothing came of it as the game wasn't close to being released. The hype will probably start/restart when the demo is out.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Elzair said:
How close to release is AoD?

One day closer than it was yesterday :M

(a) most indie (as in 'unpaid', not 'independent but professional') games, even ones that look like they are reaching late stages of development, never make it to release.
Exactly. Look at the (in)famous Grimoire.

(b) Most indie games that do get released are godawful, even ones that look promising from their development hype (if the game doesn't look good in the developer's own hype, then it sure isn't likely to get any better from there).

Once again you hit the spot. For example Dungeons or Elemental: War of Magic. The first one was supposed to be remake of my beloved Dungeon Keeper and the second of Master of Magic. How they turned out everyone here knows, I guess. I wasted so much money on them and it feels as bad as when I bought Oblivion's collector's edition at the release date.

Flatlander

Liturgist
larpingdude18 said:
Radisshu said:

big_pixel_425.png
This.

(Western) RPGs don't really exists in the mainstream indie culture. At least I don't recall much noise being made about games like KotC or Eschalon in the more hip parts of the scene.

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
Project: Eternity
Flatlander said:
larpingdude18 said:
Radisshu said:

big_pixel_425.png
This.

(Western) RPGs don't really exists in the mainstream indie culture. At least I don't recall much noise being made about games like KotC or Eschalon in the more hip parts of the scene.

Rock Paper Shotgun wrote a piece on KOTC. Also I was surprised to find an article on Eschalon II release on a French game site that seemed popular, or gave me that impression. Can't remember which one though.

Judging from the extra polish VD is putting into AoD he must be aiming for coverage from more mainstream sites. I hope he won't be disappointed or there won't ever be an AoD2.

bat_boro

Arcane
Guys, guys, just imagine if AoD actually came out and sold like a million copies and then EA buys ITS and gives the IP over to Bioware... Just imagine what Gaider's capable hands could do with the universe :M

Jezal_k23

Well Bio would surely fix AoD's lack of romance options. So I'm all for it.

If Dork Nukem can score sales after 12 years in development then Vault Douchebag's Age of Deradence can do the same.

Just... don't put tits on the walls, Vocal Douchebag. Please... don't... do that... Hey, I'll even up the stakes! Don't fuck up and I'll start calling you Visceral Dweller. It's a hip next-gen name for the Bioware era... and a key word to your marketing campaign.

Visceral. Remember that word, for it will serve you well.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
mr dweller merely needs to time an AoD gold release with a diplomatic tirade against the by then released Fallout 4 in another rockpapershotgun interview or equivalent to get the market awareness he needs

Karmapowered

Augur
Vault Dweller said:

You seem to have an almost surreal patience dealing with the eternal naysayers.

If AoD happens, you "win".

If AoD doesn't happen, you will have given your best, which is still largely to your credit. It's not like you owe anything to anyone out here.

Most reasonable people will acknowledge this.

In any case, they "lose" because they cannot into anything but babbling for attention on the Interwebz, which is a worthwhile task only in their own contrived little world.

So why bother ?

Anyway, still waiting for the game, whenever it is done.

PS : If you intend to take as long as Duke, please make it significantly better though. Thank you :obviously:

I want to be optimistic about AoD, but I'm afraid that I'm going to end up playing Vincent Price's own wank material and get sticky stuff all over me in the process.

I bet the collectors edition comes with a USB cum dispenser.

Crawler

Barely Literate
I think the early announcement might have been a mistake in that regard. When a game is in development for too long, people tend to become annoyed and even lose interest.

Not that I agree with the sentiment, but I do think it happens,

Zdzisiu

Arcane
Crawler said:
When a game is in development for too long, people tend to become annoyed and even lose interest.

Not people, entitled retards do. Normal people have lives and milion other things to do so they don't even notice when a year or two passes.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
AoD was hyped in mainstream (print) press a few years ago. There is no point in further hype unless the game is going to be released tomorrow (next thursday). People have short memories.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom