Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why the Fuck Does FreeSpace 2 Cost so Damn Much?

Jed

Cipher
I'm on a space simmy game kick lately, so I'm looking to pick up FreeSpace 2 and give it a whirl, since I didn't play space sims when it came out, so I start googling around for a price, and look at this shit! What gives?!

Granted, I'll probably pick up a used copy, but I just can't believe a game from 1999 is selling for $20 more than most new games of today...

EDIT: Okay, for a weird coincidence, check this out. Itply must really be hurting to re-release a 1999 game for $50. Is the game worth this much (and with no extras included, as far as I can tell--not even bundled with the first game) at this point?

PS- Deathy: I know it's a bit off-topic from the mission of the site, but if not separate forums, could we at least have a sticky each for discussions of Space Sim & Strategy games? Seems there's enough folks here who also love these genres, and enough conversation usually going on anyway. Just a thought/wish....

Jed

Cipher
I can't imagine anything worth my left nut, but I just want to find a really good space sim/trader type game that's not 2D. (Sorry, I love EVN for a lot of reasons, but I can't stand the combat!; if someone made a mod that made EVN's combat TB, then maybe, but until then I need three dimensions to fight in space so I can evade fire.) I've played Freelancer. Fun, but very shallow, and way too linear. I thought Homeworld was a RTS.

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
hey

Dont ever use Amazon's buy used as refrence of price. They are always overpriced, just go to ebay and you'll be able to get it for alot cheaper. $50 for the rerelease is too much, unless u just want the fresh brand new smell.

Spazmo

Erudite
Don't listen to the heretics. You want Freespace 2. You want it bad. Now buy it or I will beat you with a sock full of pennies.

Jed

Cipher
Must find Freespace 2. Fear the wrath of Spazmo's Changepurse of Doom!

PS- Anyone else care to throw their weight behind my request/suggestion for forums (or stickies under General Discussion at the very least) for Strategy & Space Sim/Trader games?

Spazmo

Erudite
It's just awesome, bumpbert. Best space flight sim dealie ever. The story, design, etc.--it's all near perfect.

Realbumpbert

Liturgist
My experience with the space sim is sadly limited to X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter. I guess a sim with plot sounds interesting.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
The first time you find yourself flying around during a fleet battle in Freespace 2, you will know that you made a good investment. Greates Spacefight Sim ever made, hands down.

Nightjed

Liturgist
Spazmo said:
It's just awesome, bumpbert. Best space flight sim dealie ever. The story, design, etc.--it's all near perfect.

i liked tie fighter a lot more, tie fighter missions are much more interesting, have a lot more events, and a lot more missions
edit: oh yeah, and the weapons/ships were a lot better, most weapons/ships on freespace2 just suck, i wont say anything about the wing ai because in both games they are suicidal dumbasses that barelly last more than 10 minutes alive

i just play freespace 2 because tie fighter doesnt work right on 2k :cry:

but any xwing style space simulator is worth your left nut :wink:

Nightjed

Liturgist
i have it, doesnt work

edit : does your versions run directly under windows ? mine tries to run a dos protected mode, maybe i have an older colector's cd ?, damn, ill try again tomorrow i guess

Psilon

Erudite
Realbumpbert said:
My experience with the space sim is sadly limited to X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter. I guess a sim with plot sounds interesting.

XvT was fun over a LAN (Assault Gunboats forever!), but it's easily the weakest of the series.

Shevek

Arcane
Nightjed:

Mine runs right under windows. It could be you have an older version.

Spazmo

Erudite
Indeed, there are two different TIE Fighter Collector's Editions. Sadly, I've got the old school one which doesn't run. At least I've got a couple of old Pentium 1 machines lying around that'll run it.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Freespace 2 isn't that great. It's a nice little space flight sim, but not the end all be all space flight sim. Hell, it's five years old now and Interplay is re-releasing it at full price because they know there are people out there dumb enough to pay full price for a collector's edition.

Personally, I'd go with Hardwar over FreeSpace 2 any day, but that's mainly because I'm not a huge fan of mission based space games. Gimme the open ended ones any day.

That said, you can get Universal Combat for $20 right now, and it has gobs more stuff than FreeSpace 2 did. It's open ended. You can train your marines to do things. For example, I was talking with a friend of mine who trained a marine to salute every time the marine made a kill. While not the most useful thing to spend time training your grunts to do, it does demonstrate a pretty neat learning feature of the AI. You can fly a fighter in to an enemy ship, damaging it - eject at the last minute, fly your pilot to the enemy ship, board it, and steal one of their fighters to have your escape!

Jed

Cipher
I was looking at Hardwar's entry on the Home of the Underdogs page; I really like the premise. Do you know if it will run on XP?

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Not sure, actually. If you can find it, just download the demo and then install the 2.x patch which removes the copy protection. It makes the demo in to the full version, basically.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom