Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

1eyedking Will Paradox give us the Mass Effect/Elder Scrolls hybrid that Bloodlines deserves?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
:lol: This thread is one of those times where the trolling is so obvious that everybody just says "Fuck it" and takes it seriously for kicks.

Funny thing is, Paradox games are also famous for their extensive mod support.

the_1990

Educated
Funny thing is, Paradox games are also famous for their extensive mod support.

Indeed they are, and that is encouraging.

But it must be remembered that those are grand strategy and simulation games.

Also, PoE, had no mod support, but then again, PDX hasn't said that they would have Obsidian develop any WoD games, so we shall see.

It amuses me that people think Obsidian is actually capable of pulling a Bloodlines. The closest thing they made is Alpha Protocol and it is a title that smells of Consoles to the bone, as far from Bloodlines as it can be, not to mention the bland, uninspired level design, poor writing, poorer game mechanics and boring plot. Some of the character interactions were fun and that is pretty much it. I specifically skipped shit combat since combat in Bloodlines wasn't such a flattering affair either.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Everyone asks for mod support in rpgs... Then does fuck all with it.

Shadowrun mod community is dead.

Wasteland 2 mod community is also dead.

Divinity original sin mod community wasn't even alive in the first place.

For every rpg, that is not the spawn of Bethesda's loins, with a successful vibrant modding community, there are countless others that don't, despite having tool sets released to the community.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
If there was a Forgotten Realms: Unlimited Adventures 2.0 the modding community would have so much content it would blow people's minds... :M

Q

Augur
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2
Ppl want to mod in horse armor and big tits not something interesting and complex. Only when critical horse-armor-tits value is accumulated mods start to get something more.

the_1990

Educated
It amuses me that people think Obsidian is actually capable of pulling a Bloodlines. The closest thing they made is Alpha Protocol and it is a title that smells of Consoles to the bone, as far from Bloodlines as it can be, not to mention the bland, uninspired level design, poor writing, poorer game mechanics and boring plot. Some of the character interactions were fun and that is pretty much it. I specifically skipped shit combat since combat in Bloodlines wasn't such a flattering affair either.

Isn't Obsidian's whole shtick now creating spiritual successors to older games? I personally hope that means they don't want to become the "isometric company" and we don't just get "PoE with Vampires". Also, they would be working under the supervision of PDX, so there's that.

Everyone asks for mod support in rpgs... Then does fuck all with it.

Shadowrun mod community is dead.

Wasteland 2 mod community is also dead.

Divinity original sin mod community wasn't even alive in the first place.

For every rpg, that is not the spawn of Bethesda's loins, with a successful vibrant modding community, there are countless others that don't, despite having tool sets released to the community.

A few things:

All those games are isometric, top-down RPGs and probably significantly smaller player-bases than Bethesda games. (Skyrim was still a top-seller on steam many years after release)

Why create content for a more niche game with poorer graphics when you can paint on a wider canvas with a bigger pallet and a larger audience?

Secondly, from what I heard Shadowrun's mod tools are rather limited, and Wasteland's haven't been released yet. (That's another thing that can hurt; delayed mod tools as we saw with Witcher 2)

Shame about Divinity, but again: AAA game with mass-appeal is probably gonna attract a larger modding community than a slightly more niche cRPG.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Isn't Obsidian's whole shtick now creating spiritual successors to older games?

Tyranny isn't a direct successor to anything. It's pseudo-iso because that's the tech they had available after 16 months of PoE development.

the_1990

Educated
Isn't Obsidian's whole shtick now creating spiritual successors to older games?

Tyranny isn't a direct successor to anything. It's pseudo-iso because that's the tech they had available after 16 months of PoE development.

I just hope they don't decide "well PoE did well enough, so let's just make essentially the same game with vampires".

Hopefully PDX gives them a nice big budget with which to make a proper FPP/TPP successor to Bloodlines and they don't try to take the cheap route. Maybe they'll go to CDprojekt and ask for permission to use the REDengine, or perhaps even develop it on Source 2, if the truly want to honor the Bloodlines legacy. PDX and Obsidian could burst onto the AAA scene with the next Elder Scrolls if they don't mess this up.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom