Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Will you buy games from GoG again?

schmörp

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, but I'm still butthurt

• No, after their stunt they can go fuck themselves

• No, but I never bought games from them anyway

• Total voters

Zeus

Cipher
Tails said:
Zeus said:
It's the people who say things like, "GOG is selling abandonware!" that bother me. It's a total misuse of the term. They might as well be calling Fallout 1 a JRPG.

It's in the same way pointless like all those GoG crusaders who want to suddenly convert the whole world to purchase games from there. Which is in the same way pointless.

Er, I guess? Don't really see the connection between misusing a word and suggesting a business. But you're right, it's ill-advised to say the least.

Why would customers--er, crusaders--suddenly want to convince everyone to buy from Good Old Games? It's the existing customers who are pissed; they couldn't download their games for four days. Some customers paid for games they didn't even get a chance to download when the site went down without warning.

If anything, existing customers were probably a lot more likely to recommend Good Old Games before last week. The kind of people who obsess over things like DRM and recommend GOG to their friends are just the type who are going to be ticked off about a hoax/four-day outage.

Personally, I don't feel comfortable buying from GOG right now. Not after that PR stunt. I hate to encourage that kind of thoughtless bid for attention.

poocolator

Erudite
The Order of Discalced Codexian Convulsionists
spekkio said:
Clockwork Knight said:
Black Cat said:
Buy?
Games?
Oh, yes, i get it now. That's a good one, man.

Blackcatpirateflag.png

:salute:
11946910615803785499.jpg

:salute:
phat cat pirateeeez
sassy-goth.jpg

I.C. Wiener

Educated
I bought Fallout 2 from GoG when I wanted to play it out of town once. Not sure why, though, this was when they had barely anything in their library.

I really like the idea of incorruptlible yet profitable businessowners legitimately offering classic games without installing malware on their customers' PCs. I hoped they'd show the western PC gaming judeocracy that games without DRM can sell just as well as they would without. I was going to buy Realms of Arkania and a few things once I could be arsed to use my credit card. But if they're going to do something as irresponsible as their last stunt for attention, I think I'll take my business elsewhere in the future.

made

Arcane
Zeus said:
Personally, I don't feel comfortable buying from GOG right now.
But you will anyway, like the consumerist sheep you are.

Abandonware isn't just a fancy name for piracy. It's a movement dedicated to the preservation of retro games - cataloguing them, making them available, providing reviews and tech support. People, myself included, have invested a lot of time and money into keeping games alive that have been abandoned by their creators.

Now some smart suits smell the cash so they secure the rights and leech off the work above mentioned hobbyists have done for them, essentially downloading stuff from abandonia and selling it off themselves. If you can't see anything wrong with that practice you're beyond help.

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
Will I buy again from GoG? Absolutely!

There's a lot of greedy, unethical corporate suits that need to maintain their expensive way of life: fine prostitutes, cocaine, sport cars, etc.

CrimHead

Scholar
made said:
Zeus said:

Abandonware isn't just a fancy name for piracy. It's a movement dedicated to the preservation of retro games - cataloguing them, making them available, providing reviews and tech support. People, myself included, have invested a lot of time and money into keeping games alive that have been abandoned by their creators.

Now some smart suits smell the cash so they secure the rights and leech off the work above mentioned hobbyists have done for them, essentially downloading stuff from abandonia and selling it off themselves. If you can't see anything wrong with that practice you're beyond help.

/thread

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Never bought anything from them and never will. Their retarded practices are only reinforcing my conviction.

ironyuri

made said:
Zeus said:

butthurt detected.

Initiating rampant capitalist response:

If you weren't smart enough to make a buck out of it yourself then you don't have any authority to be upset about someone else doing it.

What the fuck is wrong with all of you? Go read Adorno and stop bitching about the culture industry.

Culture is commodified, games are commodified/consumable culture. They were never designed to by re-consumed and re-consumed yet in the last 10 years modern capitalism has managed to, more than at any other stage in our history, repackage the culture of the past (retro culture) in the form of disposable cinema, media, literature (see: cheesy 80s television, bad movies turned into sleeper hits/cult classics) and video games and sell them to us as the next big thing.

GoG is part of this project. They found a market in people who are not dedicated abandonware ring users, who do not have the time or inclination to fiddle with DOSBox to make old games work, people who were too young when the games were released but always wanted them when they saw them sitting pretty on the shelves and in finding this market they have exploited it.

I have gone the abandonware route in the past and I have patronised GOG; I still have floppy (and stiffie) discs of old apogee games somewhere around here and I still have many of my old game boxes kicking around. I go to the cultural market place knowing that I am exchanging dollars for culture and the fact is that unless we want to risk legal ramifications then we have to accept this fact.

It's fine for the Eastern Europeans to pirate because their countries don't give a shit but in the English speaking world there are the occassional times you get buttfucked for piracy and arguing that you don't believe in Intellectual Property won't save you.

ironyuri

MetalCraze said:
What made said. The biggest irony is that GoG is selling scene cracks too for money.

irony
- 6 dictionary results
i·ro·ny
1    /ˈaɪrəni, ˈaɪər-/ Show Spelled[ahy-ruh-nee, ahy-er-] Show IPA
–noun, plural -nies.
the use of words to convey a meaning that is the opposite of its literal meaning: the irony of her reply, “How nice!” when I said I had to work all weekend.
Literature .
a.
a technique of indicating, as through character or plot development, an intention or attitude opposite to that which is actually or ostensibly stated.
b.
(esp. in contemporary writing) a manner of organizing a work so as to give full expression to contradictory or complementary impulses, attitudes, etc., esp. as a means of indicating detachment from a subject, theme, or emotion.
Socratic irony.
dramatic irony.
an outcome of events contrary to what was, or might have been, expected.
the incongruity of this.
an objectively sardonic style of speech or writing.
an objectively or humorously sardonic utterance, disposition, quality, etc.

the Skyway cannot into irony.

It would be ironic if they were releasing drm free games with some form of drm. What is not ironic is that by drm free they mean they have somehow removed drm.

:thumbsup:

MetalCraze

Arcane
The irony in the meaning that GoG is not any more legit than pirates while people here claim otherwise.

Zeus said:
Abandonware is, "This game is no longer being sold, so it's okay to pirate it."

Really? Jeez I always though that the word "abandoned" meant something else than abandoned. Thank you for telling me.
But made has made the good and valid point already so there is no need for me to repeat it.

If you want me to show a re-release of a game that can be compared to movies then that would be Monkey Island 1 & 2. But look it costs the same as some GoG games except it has a lot of work put into it

ironyuri

MetalCraze said:
The irony in the meaning that GoG is not any more legit than pirates while people here claim otherwise.

Zeus said:
Abandonware is, "This game is no longer being sold, so it's okay to pirate it."

Really? Jeez I always though that the word "abandoned" meant something else than abandoned. Thank you for telling me.
But made has made the good and valid point already so there is no need for me to repeat it.

If you want me to show a re-release of a game that can be compared to movies then that would be Monkey Island 1 & 2. But look it costs the same as some GoG games except it has a lot of work put into it

In what way are GoG no more legit than the Pirates?

They have signed up publishers to allow them to license their games, ie: Atari/Hasbro to release Baldur's Gate (the most recent release).

Pirates do not get permission from the publishers to release the games.

That gives them instant legal legitimacy.

If you consider legitimacy to belong to the person who provides the scene crack then sure the pirates are more legitimate.

And before you get butthurt - I'm not defending GoG, I have purchased games from them just because I find it easier to spend 6 dollars than to fuck around with torrents that no one is seeding and I've had bad experiences with trojans and worms in torrents in the past.

As far as I know GoG has not infected my system with a hard-drive fucking virus to date. That instantly makes them more legitimate in my book.

Edit- And before you get butthurt; not everyone is a dedicated pirate. Some of us feel that developers should be compensated for their work.

If you pirate a game (say: fallout or arcanum) and then send a cheque to someone like Tim Cain, Leonard Boyarsky and Brian Fargo having calculated the man hours per person put into the game, the use-value of the product (rather than its abstracted exchange value) which could be somewhere around a dollar for every hour of play you get out of the game; then perhaps I'll accept the legitimacy of your piracy.

On games whose studios/developers have folded they should still get the proceeds for their labour.

MetalCraze

Arcane
GoG adds scene cracks which is against EULA and copyright laws
GoG sells DOSBox which is against DOSBox license

Destroid

Arcane
As a capitalist, I pirate whenever possible.

What capitalist would pay for virtual goods that are freely available?

ironyuri

Destroid said:

What capitalist would pay for virtual goods that are freely available?

Then you're not really a capitalist because you are subverting the property system underpinning the economic model.

MetalKKKraze said:
GoG adds scene cracks which is against EULA and copyright laws

that's irrelevant.

If they have permission from the holders of the copyright then that means there is a new EULA which you agree to by purchasing and installing GoG games.

As for DOSBox, that's a legal matter for them to take up if they have a case. GoG has been running for a good two years, if the DOSBox folks are so butthurt then they would have initiated a law suit to get in on some of the proceeds already.... obviously you're much more worried on their behalf than they are.[/quote]

made

Arcane
They don't need permission. GNU license allows them to bundle games with Dosbox and sell freely.

Antihero

Liturgist
If DOSBox didn't like GOG, I don't think they'd have links to them all over their web site. The only issue in the past that I recall was when id software didn't include the GPL licence text with DOSBox and all was hunky dory after they rectified that.

They might be obligated to provide you with the DOSBox source code, though... not that you couldn't just download it from the DOSBox web site anyway.

Black Cat

Magister
ironyuri said:
Then you're not really a capitalist because you are subverting the property system underpinning the economic model.

So what are those who don't care neither for the economic model nor the morality of their actions? Stirner-like individualists? Philosophical Satanists? Warlocks and Witches of the Left Hand? Gaians?

Also, do you know your nickname kind of implies you are a tough japanese lesbian chicka?

Tails

Arbiter
Zeus said:
Er, I guess? Don't really see the connection between misusing a word and suggesting a business. But you're right, it's ill-advised to say the least.

Why would customers--er, crusaders--suddenly want to convince everyone to buy from Good Old Games? It's the existing customers who are pissed; they couldn't download their games for four days. Some customers paid for games they didn't even get a chance to download when the site went down without warning.

If anything, existing customers were probably a lot more likely to recommend Good Old Games before last week. The kind of people who obsess over things like DRM and recommend GOG to their friends are just the type who are going to be ticked off about a hoax/four-day outage.

Personally, I don't feel comfortable buying from GOG right now. Not after that PR stunt. I hate to encourage that kind of thoughtless bid for attention.
Eh this was a fast reply from my side, anyway I meant that "crusaders" and "pirates" both should shut up and keep getting the old games the way their prefer, since one side won't convince other in anyway, generally.
Regarding current situation, as a neutral person to the service, I don't see much of a problem. GoG was running in a stable way for two years, basically without any serious issues. Yeah, they made a silly and annoying (we can't say pointless, since it made it own buzz) PR stunt that lasted four days but bitching "I couldn't download games for 4 days" is just trying too hard. Any reasonable person should be aware, that nothing is eternal and such service could have some kind failure, maintenance or anything else taking days, or just close down. If someone don't make backup on DVD (can't imagine anyone who can purchase games at GOG and don't have at least CD recorder) or keep on HDD, it's just their own fault. Now they got a lesson at least.

MetalCraze said:
Did you out check the license? If it is illegal then why DosBox team does nothing about it and even has GoG button on site?

ironyuri

Black Cat said:
ironyuri said:

So what are those who don't care neither for the economic model nor the morality of their actions? Stirner-like individualists? Philosophical Satanists? Warlocks and Witches of the Left Hand? Gaians?

Also, do you know your nickname kind of implies you are a tough japanese lesbian chicka?

Destroid said:

I was responding to Destroid :P

Also, if my name were Iron Yuki, then yes.

My name is a tribute to "Iron" Felix Dzerzhinsky, founder of the VeCheka, the only Pole of any worth to have lived in the 20th Century.

Also, irony is built into the name. :smug:

Silellak

Cipher
Tails said:
"crusaders" and "pirates" both should shut up and keep getting the old games the way their prefer, since one side won't convince other in anyway, generally.
:incline:

MetalCraze said:
Did you out check the license? If it is illegal then why DosBox team does nothing about it and even has GoG button on site?
You've been here long enough to know that Skyway just likes to say things without any source or evidence. Skyway is as Skyway does.

:mca:

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
MetalCraze said:

You are a dumbass, as usual. The DOSBox uses the GPL license, which doesn't prohibit to sell it. If GoG does any kind of modification to the DOSBox source, then they would be obliged to release the source code of said modifications.

http://dosbox.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/dosbox/dosbox/COPYING?revision=1.1&view=markup

Have you ever heard of Red Hat? :roll:

Updated my skyway_idiocies_part_8.txt

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom