Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Will YOU try KOTOR Online?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
KevinV12000 said:
But SWTOR has some very good things going for it

For example like....?

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
SWTOR has nothing good going for it. I only spent 2 hours with it but then again I just couldn't carry on any more than that. It was empty, stale, generic, shit.

Mystary!

Arcane
Beta is available again btw. Damn mail got in the spam filer so didnt notice it until now.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Zed said:
SWTOR has nothing good going for it. I only spent 2 hours with it but then again I just couldn't carry on any more than that. It was empty, stale, generic, shit.
it's pretty standard eq-school of mmos shit, but the lulzy story loosens stuff up, especially in flashpoints (which also seem to be somewhat hard).

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
KevinV12000 said:
But SWTOR has some very good things going for it and some attention to detail that denotes a real love for the genre and the setting.
Yeah, but I would say they focused on the wrong details.

I enjoyed a lot being able to play as a Chriss, a race that doesn't even exist in the movies. It was a nice fan-service to let me create my little Thrawn-wannabe. But I was 10x more pissed at how boring banal shit bland the planets & cities are! They have no personality or uniqueness, just the same textures & biuldings all throught the galaxy. Korriban in KOTOR was great and exciting, how could they make something so shitty in SWTOR? The only planet that was different-looking was Hoth, and just because it's snowing.

I went to the capital city of the Empire and all I found was a cantina, a little market and countless metal textures & sith statues cloned all over the place. And the market is just 10 dudes standing in a small square with some patethic fruit stand. C'mon, at least give the a roof and a counter, they are selling spaceships parts and armors, not bananas.

zeitgeist

Magister
felipepepe said:
I went to the capital city of the Empire and all I found was a cantina, a little market and countless metal textures & sith statues cloned all over the place. And the market is just 10 dudes standing in a small square with some patethic fruit stand. C'mon, at least give the a roof and a counter, they are selling spaceships parts and armors, not bananas.
Is any social and economic interaction between players encouraged in any way by the game, apart from the usual group-to-quest and sell-stuff-on-auction-house, and if so, how?

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Btw, have the recycled NPCs been identified? Are Anocarth Skyden, Corgarous Wrexwind and the rest in?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Mangoose said:
Nah. Really, don't expect any different mechanics than WoW.
On the matter of trades & craft, the game is even weaker. You can have 4 professions, that are actually taught to your companions, and crafting & gatherings is simply sending the companion to do it. You can be on anywhere and just pay some money, she will disaperar for 5 minutes and come back with an crafting item or +1 skill level...

There is an action house, but they are few and far from any quest. The itens don't look much better than the one you find questing (especially since you level up fast), so I'm guessing people will just care about professions at end-game, to sell stuff for new players.

One thing that fucks everything up is how bland the itens are. I mean, lv 50 PvP gear looks the same as lv 5 gear. I know the can't go huge shoulderpads & glowing stuff like WoW (thankfully), but c'mon, try a little harder! I had like 5 Sniper Rifles with my Imperial Agent, from lv 1 to 15 and they all looked EXACTLY the same, there was no feeling of progress except for a slighth damage increase.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
This is the part where I'm :smug:, as the MMOs I play give you completely appearance control. Much more enjoyable looking like a distinct character compared to Ponce #1452452 wearing the same best gear available, with maybe different colors.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
So basically when they make Barbies Dress Up: The MMO you will drop everything and play that?

Sergiu64

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
felipepepe said:
One thing that fucks everything up is how bland the itens are. I mean, lv 50 PvP gear looks the same as lv 5 gear. I know the can't go huge shoulderpads & glowing stuff like WoW (thankfully), but c'mon, try a little harder! I had like 5 Sniper Rifles with my Imperial Agent, from lv 1 to 15 and they all looked EXACTLY the same, there was no feeling of progress except for a slighth damage increase.

As opposed to having uber looking stuff at lvl 50 and then scratching their heads on how to one up those for the first expansion, then on up the expansion ones in the next expansion, etc?

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
felipepepe said:
But agents eventually get trenchcoats man. Trenchcoats!

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
so, are we gonna roll a codex guild or is skyway the only one interested besides me (and possibly oldmanpaco, who seems mia atm)?

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Don't care, up to you guys. I'll pick the odd class too (though no Jedi Knight/Sith Warrior, too much cooldown watching nonsense).

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I am skipping this one because there seem to no proper open world pvp that wont be horrible unbalanced.

vrok

Liturgist
SWTOR is probably the best new RPG I've played in years, sadly, despite being an MMO. It's pretty impressive actually. Didn't expect this from Bioware at all. The chat that occurred after my fatass renegade Shepard wannabe vented the engineers on the Esseles into space was just priceless.

zeitgeist

Magister
How does the whole companion thing work in parties? Do people get to bring them along for quests? Is it possible to create your own or does absolutely everyone in the game get the exact same choice of companions (depending on class etc)? Can there be two copies of the same NPC in a party?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom