Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

WIP -- My Fallout 3 Review

Jeff Graw

StarChart Interactive
Developer
I decided to start writing a review of Fallout 3, in between my time playing it, and will look to host it here or at a blog. I'll share it with you as I write it. First and foremost, let's talk about combat:

Perhaps the greatest disappointment in Fallout 3, and the only real step backwards from Oblivion, is the combat system. VATS is a lame attempt at fan service at best, and a glorified cheat mode at worst. Unlike real turn based combat, getting in free shots doesn’t add one ounce depth, but the frequent pauses do take a huge amount of energy out of combat. Remove VATS and lower the enemy difficulty to compensate, and presto! You already have a better game. If, as a designer, you must give the player a “cheat mode” then at least do something that doesn’t ruin the flow of the game -- bullet time, super powers, etc. Even worse than VATS is the Pip Boy 3000, an interface that has been designed with consoles in mind. There is no quick weapon switch in Fallout 3, so every time you want to use another weapon or item you have to open up the Pip Boy (which again pauses the action) and scroll through a large list of items to select it. Unlike classic Fallout, there is no penalty for switching objects or using items. In essence, this makes the user invincible and makes endurance a dump stat, since any time your character takes damage you can simply pause the action and take as many stimpacks as you need. To make things even more boring, the AI is very basic (think Dues Ex AI with a bit of sidestepping), and opponents scale to your level the first time you enter an area. Combat is easily the worst part of Fallout 3, and there’s a lot of it in the game.

Mech

Cipher
I'll have to disagree. The combat is the most fun combat I have played probably ever, in any game.

DraQ

Arcane
Jeff Graw said:
the AI is very basic (think Dues Ex AI with a bit of sidestepping)
You say that beth finally grasped how to make DX class AI?
I'm so proud - DX characters responsivenss to various stimuli, intelligence and general awareness was years ahead of what we've seen in "RAI will be a revolushun" Oblivious.

1eyedking

Erudite
Jeff Graw said:
Perhaps the greatest disappointment in Fallout 3, and the only real step backwards from Oblivion, is the combat system. VATS is a lame attempt at fan service at best, and a glorified cheat mode at worst. Unlike real turn based combat, getting in free shots doesn’t add one ounce depth [...]
I've been trying to explain this virtually everywhere but to no avail. What's so difficult to understand about VATS giving you extra shots, which the enemy in turn doesn't get, is a cheat?

It's nice to see someone else grasped the concept.

Jeff Graw

StarChart Interactive
Developer
1eyedking said:
Jeff Graw said:
Perhaps the greatest disappointment in Fallout 3, and the only real step backwards from Oblivion, is the combat system. VATS is a lame attempt at fan service at best, and a glorified cheat mode at worst. Unlike real turn based combat, getting in free shots doesn’t add one ounce depth [...]
I've been trying to explain this virtually everywhere but to no avail. What's so difficult to understand about VATS giving you extra shots, which the enemy in turn doesn't get, is a cheat?

It's nice to see someone else grasped the concept.

Yes, but the even worse cheat is the ability to pause the action and heal up as much as you want. It's not like cheats are always bad -- Max Payne wouldn't have been the same without bullet time -- but when a cheat serves no purpose other than to disrupt the flow of combat (VATS) or starts to break other aspects of the game (Pip Boy and Stim Packs), then you've got a design flaw.

1eyedking

Erudite
Jeff Graw said:
Yes, but the even worse cheat is the ability to pause the action and heal up as much as you want. It's not like cheats are always bad -- Max Payne wouldn't have been the same without bullet time -- but when a cheat serves no purpose other than to disrupt the flow of combat (VATS) or starts to break other aspects of the game (Pip Boy and Stim Packs), then you've got a design flaw.
My points exactly. But don't forget that in Fallout you could pull the inventory screen (albeit at a 4 AP cost) and apply as many stimpacks as you wanted and reload any weapon you had fired - in any case, I always thought of it as unbalanced.

The ugly thing in Fallout 3? It doesn't cost APs, you have tons more hit points (>250) and damage resistance is easier to come by, so it doesn't scale as well as it did in the prequels.

BUT DON'T WORRY MODS WILL FIX IT LOL

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
vats isn't a cheat mode, alien blasters are, and not only do they have multiple of those, they also have a unique version that simply randomly falls from the sky, and does 20% more damage.

vats is simply put just utter fail. the switch to 3rd person camera changes the line of sight from your weapon, meaning that if you hit something outside of vats in first person, you might not be hitting it anymore in vats (as is quite often the case with gatling lasers/miniguns), there's no way to abort it, as far as i can tell, which is super awesome when pumping all ap into a single target that either gets behind cover, or cannot be hit due to the angle change. there's no use for it, unless you're slow as shit and can't hit anything real time, or simply would like to see where all the baddies are while paused.

Mech

Cipher
1eyedking said:
Jeff Graw said:
My points exactly. But don't forget that in Fallout you could pull the inventory screen (albeit at a 4 AP cost) and apply as many stimpacks as you wanted and reload any weapon you had fired - in any case, I always thought of it as unbalanced.

The ugly thing in Fallout 3? It doesn't cost APs, you have tons more hit points (>250) and damage resistance is easier to come by, so it doesn't scale as well as it did in the prequels.

BUT DON'T WORRY MODS WILL FIX IT LOL

LOUD NOISES

Caveman

Scholar
;)
Dont forget beautiful screenshots:

f-Alessandra-Ambrosio-3-2995.jpg

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
Shit, even in the Xbox version there is a way to quick switch weapons.

PC NOOBZ NEED TO READ MANUALS LLOL@@222211111!!

dagorkan

Arbiter
VATS is great, anyway this is an RPG, why do you bitches spend all your time complaining about how the RT FPS combat isn't as good as Halo's?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom