Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry Wizardry: The Five Ordeals Steam release

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Time to talk about the soundtrack album you can buy. Is it worth it or any good? I found a couple non-steam reviews on the older albums:

https://www.rpgfan.com/music-review/wizardry-prisoners-of-the-battles-five-ordeals-audio-collection/

http://soundtrackcentral.com/wizardry-prisoners-of-the-battles-five-ordeals-audio-collection/tp2365

http://www.vgmonline.net/wizardryprisoner/

TRACK LISTING​

1 Prisoners of the Battles (戦闘の監獄) 2:50
2 Fortress (城塞) 1:29
3 The Tavern (酒場) 2:50
4 The Inn (宿屋) 2:41
5 The Temple (寺院) 3:18
6 The Store (商店) 1:55
7 The Outskirts of Town (町外れ) 2:50
8 The Museum (博物館) 2:47
9 Labyrinth 1 (迷宮1) 2:17
10 Battle 1 (戦闘1) 2:28
11 Annihilation (全滅) 2:11
12 Training Ground (訓練場) 4:07
13 Labyrinth 2 (迷宮2) 3:50
14 Battle 2 (戦闘2) 2:30
15 Treasure Chest After The Battle (戦闘後の宝箱) 1:28
16 Rest (休息) 2:33
17 Labyrinth 3 (迷宮3) 4:52
18 Battle 3 (戦闘3) 3:15
19 The Event (出来事) 1:59
20 The Ending (エンディング) 2:29
21 The Wheels of Flame(Prisoners of the Battles Arrange ver.) (灼熱の車輪(戦闘の監獄 Arrange ver.) 1:06
22 The City (街) 2:56
23 Labyrinth (迷宮) 4:16
24 Battle 1 (戦闘1) 2:10
25 Battle 2 (戦闘2) 1:48

Last edited:

Biggus

Scholar
Unicorn elf furry is very horny.... she loses a lot of lovers because of that growth. She's very frustrated.

How deep can the dungeon be? Is there a limit to dungeon depth?

I need to look again but are there a lot of different dungeon walls, floors, crilings and other assets to choose from ehen designing?

Deep, no idea. The first scenario is 10, the next two are 6, the Abyss of Ancient relics is at least 7.
Walls, there are several, four I think at least, or is it five? I forget, might be more, might not. Ceilings, never paid much attention.
I have no idea how the scenario builder works.
Just buy the damn thing, this one user scenario and the first officially translated one will keep any Wiz fan happy.

Last edited:

Biggus

Scholar
more walls
ZNIiu9s.jpg

Biggus

Scholar
make that 8 floors (so far) in Abyss.

Gotta say, if this isn't the best bit of dungeon design, I'd like to see better. It is superb. Balance is perfect, for me at least.

Z1F8CyT.jpg

Biggus

Scholar
Time to talk about the soundtrack album you can buy. Is it worth it or any good? I found a couple non-steam reviews on the older albums:

https://www.rpgfan.com/music-review/wizardry-prisoners-of-the-battles-five-ordeals-audio-collection/

http://soundtrackcentral.com/wizardry-prisoners-of-the-battles-five-ordeals-audio-collection/tp2365

http://www.vgmonline.net/wizardryprisoner/

TRACK LISTING​

1 Prisoners of the Battles (戦闘の監獄) 2:50
2 Fortress (城塞) 1:29
3 The Tavern (酒場) 2:50
4 The Inn (宿屋) 2:41
5 The Temple (寺院) 3:18
6 The Store (商店) 1:55
7 The Outskirts of Town (町外れ) 2:50
8 The Museum (博物館) 2:47
9 Labyrinth 1 (迷宮1) 2:17
10 Battle 1 (戦闘1) 2:28
11 Annihilation (全滅) 2:11
12 Training Ground (訓練場) 4:07
13 Labyrinth 2 (迷宮2) 3:50
14 Battle 2 (戦闘2) 2:30
15 Treasure Chest After The Battle (戦闘後の宝箱) 1:28
16 Rest (休息) 2:33
17 Labyrinth 3 (迷宮3) 4:52
18 Battle 3 (戦闘3) 3:15
19 The Event (出来事) 1:59
20 The Ending (エンディング) 2:29
21 The Wheels of Flame(Prisoners of the Battles Arrange ver.) (灼熱の車輪(戦闘の監獄 Arrange ver.) 1:06
22 The City (街) 2:56
23 Labyrinth (迷宮) 4:16
24 Battle 1 (戦闘1) 2:10
25 Battle 2 (戦闘2) 1:48
the third guy says...

"To be honest, I can come up with no reason why anybody would release games like this to torture players and gamemakers. Thus, the background music became the sole strength of these games."

So his credibility factor is zero.

Biggus

Scholar
Seriously, if you only got one scenario and nothing else, this'd be worth buying. Abyss is so far 11 levels deep and it just keeps getting better. Forget weaboo, this is Wiz.

ItUUN83.jpg

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Seriously, if you only got one scenario and nothing else, this'd be worth buying. Abyss is so far 11 levels deep and it just keeps getting better. Forget weaboo, this is Wiz.

I checked the steam page and i can't find scenarios, is it already included in the base game or downloadable through it?

Anyway, I'm waiting for the full engrish release.

ChavaiotH

Novice

I checked the steam page and i can't find scenarios, is it already included in the base game or downloadable through it?

You can download them in game directly.

Biggus

Scholar

If you wait, you might be waiting a long time. The first scenario has been done, and that one is pretty decent, and quite involved. The others are playable, but translating via google lens or whatever is a pain in the butt. I've all but finished scenarios 2 and 3 using lens, so it's doable.
There are several (4 or 5?) English language user scenarios that are available now via the game itself, and while I am speaking in hindsight here, I can say I'd be pretty happy to pay for the thing just to play this one scenario. Abyss of the Ancient Relics, all 11 (so far) levels of it.
This is a better scenario in my opinion than either of the first three official ones (I've not played 4 or 5 yet), and that isn't to suggest the others are bad, just that this one is exceptional.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
News on creating your own custom scenarios? Is it ready for making your own?

https://www.gamer.ne.jp/news/202208250006/

The roadmap is as follows: in 2022, we will focus on launching the online scenario editor (beta version) and adding various bug fixes, features, etc. In Q1 of 2023, we will launch the first DLC, and in Q2, we will roll out the second DLC and release the official version of both the main game and the editor.

It's still in Early Access, I assume they mean they leave EA then when they say they release the official version.

We are pleased to announce that the scenario editor, which was a stand-alone application in 2006, is being developed as an "online web service" (online scenario editor), rather than a local application, and will be available at no additional cost to those who have purchased the full version of the game. The scenario editor will be available at no additional cost to purchasers. The beta version is scheduled to launch by the end of 2022.

We are working hard to develop an editor that will have the features of the 2006 version as well as additional features that will make "labyrinth creation" even easier. We will keep you updated on the progress of the development through our official Twitter and other means.

Last edited:

Gregz

Arcane
Wizardry: Five Ordeals is now in English

Update 2022/8/25

Updates from previous betas:
New
- Official scenarios are now officially available in English.

Guess it is time to buy this now

np7KdB4.png

A recent review:

This game is very good. It is best if you are learning Japanese, because many of the signs are in Japanese and you have to translate them to English yourself.

So, are the signs still in Japanese since the 8/25 update?

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

I haven't checked myself but since they say it is the official English release I would assume the signs are in English as well

ChavaiotH

Novice
Wizardry: Five Ordeals is now in English

Update 2022/8/25

Updates from previous betas:
New
- Official scenarios are now officially available in English.

Guess it is time to buy this now

np7KdB4.png

A recent review:

This game is very good. It is best if you are learning Japanese, because many of the signs are in Japanese and you have to translate them to English yourself.

Official scenarios are full translated into english, signs too.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Official scenarios are full translated into engrish, signs too.

Fixed, the translation is awful.

Could anyone name the best user made scenarios he played, or at least some he played and were "very good"?

How many classes is there? Only 6?
Is there no character creation?
My party got wiped out on the first combat on an unwinnable fight playing the first official scenario...

Ysaye

Arbiter

Could anyone name the best user made scenarios he played, or at least some he played and were "very good"?

My party got wiped out on the first combat on an unwinnable fight playing the first official scenario...

Haven't played any of the user made scenarios, but there is the stock standard 8 classes, standard character creation (go to the training grounds to do that). And yes the first official scenario is somewhat brutal, my first party are still bones on level 3.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Haven't played any of the user made scenarios, but there is the stock standard 8 classes, standard character creation (go to the training grounds to do that). And yes the first official scenario is somewhat brutal, my first party are still bones on level 3.

Only 8?
Isn't there multi-classing and/or prestige classes you can switch to later?

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron

Only 8?

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2853306644

you can change classes for example priest into mage to have both classes spells. Also ninja and maybe lord is impossible to roll from character creation unless you use "cheat" mode so you can pick any class you want from character creation (type A creation)

Last edited:

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Only 8?

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2853306644

you can change classes for example priest into mage to have both classes spells. Also ninja and maybe lord is impossible to roll from character creation unless you use "cheat" mode so you can pick any class you want from character creation (type A creation)
I have rolled a Ninja and a Lord without spending too much time. I think the rolls are more generous than old Wizardries. Don´t go for type A creation because you will have very weak ninjas and lords in addition to their slow leveling.

Probably the Ninja I got very lucky but I got two lords and 2 samurai in 10 minutes.

ChavaiotH

Novice

Better than nothing.

Love and hate this game. Sometimes it's pure masochism.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom