Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime World of Five Nations

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Naruto.
Despite this series declining in quality quite severely with Shippuden (specially after Pain's defeat), I always thought Naruto's setting is rather cool and has a great deal of potential for any game adaptation that falls into the Action, RPG and Strategy genres.

So apparently /tg/ made a homebrew system out of Naruto.

And despite it being rather "heavy", I must say, the fa/tg/uy authors seem to have a good general idea
So for one, they actually don't try to include the fucking asspull/bullshit/nuclear powers that turned the series into a wankfest.
In fact the author's intention is try to keep the power ceiling around something like - "Hidan/Kakuzu V Leaf" or "3rd Hokage V Orochimaru" level - meaning that while top shinobi are notably powerful, efficient and creative use of one's skill and exploitation of the enemies capabilities are the most deciding factor of battles.
The document also includes additional worldbuilding to flesh out the setting and play of it's strenghts.
Lastly this is not trying to be a homebrew D20 with a Naruto coat of paint.

However the system is incomplete, and that's why the authors plan to lauch an updated Version 5 this year.
Which aims to simplify the more convoluted rules and finally introduce a system for Fūinjutsu (Sealing Arts) and Senjutsu (Sage Arts).

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
I don't know about that
But Superheroes don't have to manage Mana Chakra, and superpowers are often very direct and linear abilities as oposed to Naruto's jutsus that tend to be more "subtle", versatile and riddled with weakness and counters (again if you're not including the DBZ shit, which this system doesn't)

Also what cinematic aspect?

Last edited:

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I know about that
But Superheroes don't have to manage Mana Chakra, and superpowers are often very direct and linear abilities as oposed to Naruto's jutsus that tend to be more "subtle", versatile and riddled with weakness and counters (again if you're not including the DBZ shit, which this system doesn't)

Also what cinematic aspect?

I said Hero System not Champions. Champions is now the superhero genre while Hero System is a generic system that is genre agnostic. You also don't understand how things work in Hero System. All equipment etc... are bought with powers. The only thing different is the special effect. The special effect is defined by the advantages and limitations put on the power. Let me give you a couple of examples.

This is one set of powers from Dark Sun, a character from my setting book Inceptum Terminus: Chronicles of the New Confederation, and the equivalent equipment. Pay attention to the advantages and limitations to see how the basic power is different.

60 Offensive Light Powers: Multipower, 75-point reserve, (75 Active Points); all slots Conditional Power (Doesn't work in zero light conditions; -¼)

5f 1) Dark Flare: Sight Group Flash 8d6, Armor Piercing (+¼), Personal Immunity (+¼) (60 Active Points); Conditional Power (Doesn't work in zero light conditions; -¼) 6

6f 2) Dark Blast: Blast 10d6, Autofire (5 shots; +½) (75 Active Points); Conditional Power (Doesn't work in zero light conditions; -¼) 7

6f 3) Dark Explosion: Killing Attack - Ranged 2d6+1, Area Of Effect (4m Radius Explosion; +¼), Personal Immunity (+¼) (52 Active Points); Conditional Power Power does not work in Uncommon Circumstances (Doesn't work in zero light conditions; -¼) 7

6f 4) Dark Floodlights: Darkness to Sight Group 11m radius, Alterable Size, Personal Immunity (+¼) (75 Active Points); Conditional Power (Doesn't work in zero light conditions; -¼) 7

30mm Concussive: Blast 7d6, +1 Increased STUN Multiplier (+0), Area Of Effect Nonselective (15m Radius Explosion; +¼) (44 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), OAF Durable (-1), Strength Minimum cannot Add/Subtract Damage (-½), No Range (-½), No Knockback (-¼), Real Weapon (-¼)

The Concussive can be changed from Blast to Sight Group Flash to make a simple flash bang. However, the concussive uses the same power as Dark Blast.

30mm High Explosive: Killing Attack - Ranged 2d6+1, Area Of Effect Nonselective (15m Radius Explosion; +¼), +1 Increased STUN Multiplier (+¼) (52 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), OAF Durable (-1), Strength Minimum cannot Add/Subtract Damage (-½), No Range (-½), Real Weapon (-¼), No Knockback (-¼)

Dark Floodlights can be built as an artillery shell using the same power with similar advantages and limitations.

Blast does more Stun damage then it does killing damage. Stun damage is taking the sum of the roll and applying it to defenses. To figure the killing damage on rolls of a 1 = 0 Body Damage, 2-5 = 1 Body Damage, and 6 = 2 Body Damage.

So Dark Flare is AP which halves the target's defense. Personal immunity means that Dark Sun can use the attack and she'll be immune to it. In Hero unless you have this advantage the character is susceptible to their own attacks. The limitation is that it doesn't work in no light conditions.

30mm Concussive Grenade is the same Blast power, but adds +1 Stun Damage to each of the dice rolled. Thus, a roll of a 1=2, 2=3, 3=4, 4=5, 5=6, and 6=7 Stun Damage. Area of Effect means that the character firing the grenade can't select the target in the 15m radius, so everything gets hit. Explosion means that the damage drop off is increased from the standard to for every 15m from the initial blast the damage drops off by 5 points or 1d6 of damage. That's increased from the base 2m per 5 points or 1d6 drop off. OAF: Durable means Obvious, Accessible Focus that has hit points to determine when it breaks. Obvious means you know what is the cause of the attack. Accessible means that somebody can grab it and use it against the character. Focus means it's an item. Thus, the grenade is different mechanically from Dark Blast. Strength Minimum means you can't add or subtract Strength damage from the attack. No Range means it has to be thrown and uses the character using it's Strength to determine distance. Real Weapon just states that the item has to be maintained to keep it working. No knockback means that anyone damaged by it aren't knocked around like Dark Blast would do.

Dark Blast has Autofire which means that she fires 5 rounds at a time. For every 2 points she makes her attack roll the attack hits her target. If she's in total darkness her power doesn't work.

With Killing Attacks the Body damage is what you rolled with your damage dice. The Stun Multiplier is 1d6-1 without advantages. You multiply the Body damage done by the Stun Multiplier. So if you roll 7 on 2d6+1 and the 1d6-1 StunX is a 3 then you did 8 Body and 24 Stun damage.

So that's how Hero System works. You can build anything you want using the same set of rules.

The cinematic aspect is that most damage is Stun with very little Body done. Body is the system's hit points. In order to hit Body directly you need to use a Killing Attack which costs a lot more then a standard attack. At 0 Stun the character is knocked out. At 0 Body the character is dead.

Chakra/Mana etc... can all be Endurance Reserves and bought as a power.

Last edited:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Dammit, I meant *I don't know about*
Anyway, the from what you described I think that system would still need alot of changes to fit the Naruto theme
And IMO it's more interesting to build a new system just for that specific purpose

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Dammit, I meant *I don't know about*
Anyway, the from what you described I think that system would still need alot of changes to fit the Naruto theme
And IMO it's more interesting to build a new system just for that specific purpose

You can't make a comment about a system that you don't know anything about.

IMO you're wasting your time since all RPG systems follow established conventions.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom