Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Whorecraft: Battle for Asseroth

Caim

Arcane
I'd make a comment about people playing WoW on Antartica, but I can imagine that doing SCIENCE and punting penguins eventually gets stale.

I wonder how fast the internet is over there...

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
So currently on PTR if you test the level 90 boost from the in-game shop you also get free 280% flying and profession boosted to 600.

Looks like the F2P model is working really well for Blizzard. :troll:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
They say it's a one-time per account thing for the new expansion. But that plus the recent addition of an in-game store plus the already existing microtransactions up the butt points to some form of F2P mode within a year.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I doubt they'll do anything like that. The game is still doing far better than any MMO ever dreamed in the sub department, and any form of F2P mode causes too much backlash.

The most I see them doing is extending trials, like everything up to the current expansion being free.

TedNugent

Arcane
Worst part about playing WoW was dealing with the fucktards on my realm who just wanted to pet battle and wait until dungeon reset. Took me months on end to get any serious progression done while the rest of these idiots are still leveling alts. How many fucking alts do you need? It's the exact same experience every single time, the only thing that changes is your action bar, and I've watched people piss away months with no serious raid progression, no serious questzone achievements/loremaster, but they will spend half a fucking year grinding just to get the 10,000 critter kills achievements.

It's maddening. The worst thing about WoW is dealing with the people, without a doubt.

If the game scaled all the way down to 1 player, it would be infinitely improved.

By the way, when is Warcraft IV coming out?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I doubt they'll do anything like that. The game is still doing far better than any MMO ever dreamed in the sub department, and any form of F2P mode causes too much backlash.

The most I see them doing is extending trials, like everything up to the current expansion being free.

That's what I'm talking about. It's not as if you can't have a F2P version in tandem with a subscription version. It'll be something that maybe limits you to five man dungeons or battlegrounds (since they desperately need more people in the queue) or something like that.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Yeah but anything below the level cap is just a big trial on wow, I would only consider "F2P" if people can play for free at whatever is the current maximum. Playing up to 20 or up to max-1 is the same thing, you don't really get to experience the actual game.

It'll be something that maybe limits you to five man dungeons or battlegrounds (since they desperately need more people in the queue) or something like that.
Only horde has BG queue problems, though. Alliance BG queues pop instantly, while horde queues take like 10~20 minutes. That's because Alliance loses 90% of the time unless it's AV where the reverse happens, so most allies just do AV over and over until they are done farming honor for the honor pvp set. I don't think freeloaders will help this in any way, they might only make it worse.

Dungeon queues don't really have any wait problems.

Last edited:

Avellion

Erudite
i8WyAttWZiVWA.jpg

60 fucking dollars?!? Its almost like Blizzard made levelling as boring as humanly possible in preparation for this.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
And they're also going to discontinue the Scroll of Resurrection because hey, now they can monetize it instead. And the community is just bending over for ramming speed invasion of the colon.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I checked the WoW forums and people were coming out in droves defending this.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Yeah but anything below the level cap is just a big trial on wow, I would only consider "F2P" if people can play for free at whatever is the current maximum. Playing up to 20 or up to max-1 is the same thing, you don't really get to experience the actual game.
Best part of the game was leveling through vanilla, doing dungeons and PVPing in STV while leveling. Lost a lot of interest when I hit level cap. Battlegrounds were fun for a while but I could never really get into raiding, even though I was in an active guild.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Well, that was in vanilla. Endgame was much more refined in TBC, while the leveling experience was mostly intact. But the game has changed a lot since then. Leveling nowadays is just a waste of time.

And they're also going to discontinue the Scroll of Resurrection because hey, now they can monetize it instead. And the community is just bending over for ramming speed invasion of the colon.
Are they really? They just improved the scroll of resurrection recently, you can now choose from a bunch of different rewards instead of only the zebra, I don't see why they would get rid of it.

I checked the WoW forums and people were coming out in droves defending this.
Because it really isn't a big deal, nobody sane is going to pay $60 for a level boost, considering how fast it is to level nowadays.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Best part of the game was leveling through vanilla, doing dungeons and PVPing in STV while leveling. Lost a lot of interest when I hit level cap. Battlegrounds were fun for a while but I could never really get into raiding, even though I was in an active guild.

I also had much fun doing lvl 60 dungeons and raiding Tarren Mill/Crossroads, lost our interest when we started to raid, damn things had tighter schedules than my work O_o

Data4

Arcane
i8WyAttWZiVWA.jpg

60 fucking dollars?!? Its almost like Blizzard made levelling as boring as humanly possible in preparation for this.

Looks more to me like a thumb in the eye of paid leveling services. Why pay some chinese dude when you can just pay Blizz and not risk an account ban?

Lhynn

Arcane
Sounds amusing that someone would defend the company thats selling for nothing stuff that theyve worked long hours to achieve, sounds funny that people are paying not to play. Or to skip the worst part of the game, and if it is the worst part of the game why is it even there.

etc, etc, etc.

Keshik

Arcane
Figured they wouldn't make it too cheap. Was expecting $30-40 though, not $60. It is nice to skip the levelling process for an alt after you've done it 3 or 4 times, shame you can't skip an expansion - I'd skip TBC' and Cata's zones for sure.

Black_Willow

Arcane
Figured they wouldn't make it too cheap. Was expecting $30-40 though, not $60. It is nice to skip the levelling process for an alt after you've done it 3 or 4 times, shame you can't skip an expansion - I'd skip TBC' and Cata's zones for sure.
RAF someone and do Dungeon Finder. One TBC dungeon = 2 levels.
It's best to have a party of 5 bros - you'll get from 1 to 85 in a few days. After that things will get slow (RAF doesnt work after 85).

Lhynn

Arcane
Charging for it is a rip off.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom