Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN WTF: Baldur's Gate recreated entirely in NWN2 engine

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What an extraordinary and tremendous waste of time and effort. Seven years of labor for something that both looks and plays worse than the original, this guy must be like ten Drogs on the crazy scale.
1 Toady.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Why is this not a newspost? :P This is just crazy enough to deserve one.

That said I only recently bought the NWN2 complete edition on GOG so I hope to give this a try whenever I have some time (i.e. not exactly soon :()

Hmm, I see that VoD newsposted the IWD NWN2 remake, so I guess I might as well do this one as well. :avatard:

Mortmal

Arcane
Thats why i am not checking the vault for new nwn 2 mods, this one is a perfect exemple, a complete waste of time like half of the shit they host . Trying to reproduce anancient but great game can result only on something inferior . It's like those old D&D module, or eye of the beholder ports but on a bigger scale. A funny thing is to tell those modders with overinflated ego how worthless their labor of love is , i did, thats way more entertaining than their mods.

I am very disappointed by this OP post. Because I wanted to hope that there was a Kofucku site.

Meh, if it was BG2 I'd be interested just for the 3e ruleset, but BG1 is banal shit boring no matter what engine you use it in.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
This is impressive and sad at the same time.
Impressive that the guy actually finished it. Sad that so much time and energy was spent on remaking a near perfect (if you use the right mods) game into an in many ways inferior engine.
But if it helped him getting a job in the industry I guess it was worth it.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
I am actually intrigued to see if they solved the problem of attrocious encounter design in NWN2 and made it somewhat resembling the one in BG 1 (which was far from perfect, but still miles better). Other than that... well, there will be actual builds for classes. :P

Waiting for the impending 'cease and desist' letter from EA. :troll:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Isn't that useless at this point? It is on the internet, and we all know, that what is on the internet, stays on the internet.

Linden

Arcane
Just hearing that music makes me want to play again. I'd play Dragon Age 2 seven times with that music.

FOR THE FALLEN!!!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I am actually intrigued to see if they solved the problem of attrocious encounter design in NWN2 and made it somewhat resembling the one in BG 1 (which was far from perfect, but still miles better). Other than that... well, there will be actual builds for classes. :P

EA don't have the rights, and they wouldn't C&D it anyway, just like they didn't C&D the Ultima Dungeon Siege remakes.

Anyway it's a fait accompli so nobody's gonna do shit.

Cool name

Arcane
Being a special snowflake planetouched with a dark pact isn't that fun when nobody acknowledges your grimdarkness. Ruins my immershun.

After playing through NWN2 I am kind of immune to that. 'OoOoOoh! Neshka this, Neshka that.' Bleeping bleep, man. I am a Tiefling too. And I can summon tentacle grape at will, shoot hellfire out of my butt, and turn into a bloody demon. Can I get some racism too? Just a little bit. Please? Stop stealing my bleeping spotlight, gurl.

Though I am still totally pissed my Tiefling in Cryptic's Neverwinter can't choose Asmodeus as her god. Like, man, what's more cool than praying to an evil demon god who's also your great-great-great-(...We could be here for some time...)-great-grandfather? Nothing, that's what.

Do Tieflings in Icewind Dale 2 get more respect? I have been wanting to do that one with a full Tiefling party for some time.

Well, there's Tiefling rogues too. Perhaps with a splash of warlock.

Good point. Tiefling rogues are cute too. :3

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
Impressive that the guy actually finished it. Sad that so much time and energy was spent on remaking a near perfect (if you use the right mods) game into an in many ways inferior engine.

I'm not familiar enough with Neverwinter Nights 2 to say one engine is better than the other, but doesn't Neverwinter Nights 2 use the 3.5 ruleset? In my experience, the third edition gives far more character customization and combat options to the player than the second edition, so in that regard it sounds like an upgrade. Can you explain what you mean by an inferior engine, unless you mean that it looks better pre-rendered and top down?

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I'm sure he means the engine is butt-ugly and with shit (no) optimization.

Delterius

Arcane

I'm not familiar enough with Neverwinter Nights 2 to say one engine is better than the other, but doesn't Neverwinter Nights 2 use the 3.5 ruleset? In my experience, the third edition gives far more character customization and combat options to the player than the second edition, so in that regard it sounds like an upgrade. Can you explain what you mean by an inferior engine, unless you mean that it looks better pre-rendered and top down?

The ruleset may be superior according to some, and I'd be inclined to agree, but I still can't stand either Neverwinter Nights very well. And the Rpg gods know I tried.

Erebus

Arcane
I want a recreation of Mask of the Betrayer using the Infinity Engine.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Anthony Davis Made by a friend of yours? http://kofucku.com/holy-hell-this-guy-re-created-all-of-baldurs-gate-in-511489475

Holy Hell, This Guy Re-Created All Of Baldur's Gate In 3D

It took him seven years, but yesterday, game designer Drew Rechner finally released Baldur's Gate: Reloaded, a ridiculous mod that puts the entirety of BioWare's classic RPG—including the expansion, Tales of the Sword Coast—into Neverwinter Nights 2.

To play the mod, you'll need a copy of Neverwinter Nights 2 and its expansions (which you can get on GOG). Then you can download and install the mod for free right here.
I'm still kind of stunned that this exists, and I'm strongly considering re-buying NWN2 just to check it out. Rechner, who says the bulk of work on this mod was done by him and a programmer, Shallina, tells me this project helped him get into the game industry. He worked at TimeGate Studios (Section 8) until recently, and he was let go just before they shut down.

Baldur's Gate. In 3D! Amazing.

I didn't get a chance to know him super well enough to call him a friend, but he was always nice to me and everyone else. He told me about this project when I first joined TimeGate, but it seemed so large that I had no idea it was this close to being finished. Good for him, it is an impressive endeavor.

As for Aurora versus ToEE, or whatever else... the important take away from this, and what it accomplishes for Drew, is that it shows he has tenacity and follow through. That kind of dedication to finish a project of this scale will impress game developers more than someone's rant on what engine he should have chosen. I hope it helps him in his search for another job. For those of you who dream of a job in the game industry, take a page from this and learn it. No one cares as much about what you think or what you might do NEAR as much as they care about what you actually DO.

Congrats again Drew, I'm downloading it now.

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom