Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wtf i finished Risen already?

kenney bounces

Liturgist
4 chapters. That's it.

Chapter 1 - Quests ahoy. Lots of C&C and optional quests. Gothic 1&2 days.
Chapter 2 - 0 optional C&C quests, kill legions of monsters.
Chapter 3 - 0 optional C&C quests, Kill legions of monsters.
Chapter 4 - Kill boss. Game ends.

WTF? That's it? Don't get me wrong, the game is polished, the game is decent. I expected something close to gothic 1&2 standards... This is like totally wtf in terms of content after chapter 1.

lightbane

Arcane
is what happens when nowadays mainstream forces the games to last less than 15 hours or so.

Raapys

Arcane
Well, seems most people spent about 30-35 hours on this one on first playthrough. I agree though, once you complete chapter 1 pretty much all the optional content falls away, except some exploring-related quests. From that point on it's mostly just combat.

Shame really, because the game did have that 'gothic' feel to it, even if I'm not personally a fan of the tropical stuff. As it is, I think it might even be a bit too short to climb past a community-patched Gothic3 on my list, let alone G1&G2. Maybe a long and content-filled expansion could help it along. Some new spells to make mages a bit more interesting would also be in order.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Still haven't played Gothic 2 but the first one was like that. Was still fun though, except for the temple at the end.

...Maybe a long and content-filled expansion could help it along. Some new spells to make mages a bit more interesting would also be in order.

I've no experience of PB what so ever so please tell me what the chances are of this actually happening? I'd really like some more, even if it's more of the "same stuff".

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Quest compass is sold separately.

2845xa.jpg

Stereotypical Villain said:
Oh no, they'll save that for the "Aid for retards" DLC which'll include regenerating mana and health.

"It seems that first time german developer Piranha bytes is finally getting on with the times, and gives us the game as iit should have been from the beginning. Lack of hairstyles still hurts the roleplaying experience, however"

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
I dearly hope that they will make DLC with a female follower that you can romance, and maybe holds hands on the beach with.

cutterjohn

Cipher
wide open world sold separately as well? I've really grown to love the wide open worlds so long as they don't have gay levelling mechanics...

(And I REALLY REALLY REALLY LOVE large random dungeons whic should be great today given that thbey can push lots of textures, and "theme" random dungeons, hell nethack, angband, etc. have been doing it for a decade (and more) now...)

vazquez595654

Arbiter
Who says it's not an "open world" game?

Well it's certainly not anything like Gothic 3 in terms of land mass. It's something akin to Gothic.

I guess people bitching about Gothic 3 convinced the developers to make a Gothic 1 clone. Personally I have little use for clone games. I wanted them to bring something new to the table. I believe Gothic 3 had the right idea, but faltered. Gothic 3 had too many settlements. I liked the idea of the rebels vs the orcs fighting for power. Too bad it wasn't a dynamic real-time system. It would have been awesome seeing armies traveling around, sieges taking place, peasants evacuating towns, merchants traveling, scouts, spies, so on.

I thought Gothic 3 was beautiful and runs well on my integrated ATI 3300. Risen looks ugly and runs like crap. The graphics to me don't look much better than Gothic 2.

Vault Dweller, what do you think of randomization of equipment, like in the Diablo's? I'm assuming you are not using it for AoD. Did you consider using such a system for AoD, or do you dislike the idea entirely?

By the way, do people here consider Fallout a sandbox game?

Zeus

Cipher
I think it's nice to be able to beat a CRPG that fast once in a while. They don't have to all be epics (or, to be fair, filled with useless padding to stretch out the running length).

kenney bounces

Liturgist
Zeus said:
I think it's nice to be able to beat a CRPG that fast once in a while. They don't have to all be epics (or, to be fair, filled with useless padding to stretch out the running length).

Useless padding?... Risen is filled with useless padding. They've basically replaced C&C quests with monsters, collection items, collection points.. route of MMOs. Once you get past the first chapter you'll see that the entire world is completely padded with meaningless monsters that just appear everywhere.

Three thumbs up for chapter 1. Holy fricking wtf EXTREME SHEPARD for chapter 2+3+4.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
If a game is good but short that's something I can live with. Fallout 1 was short, too, but one of the few games I ever finished. With the really long ones (Ultima / Arcanum / Fallout 2 / JA2) I tend to lose interest after about 1/3. That's usually the point where I have seen everything. Of course it's nice that these games have a lot of bonus content, and to be able to go on playing them for ever, but size is also something standing in the way of development, it's better to make games shorter and turn them out faster. Think of episodic content like in Knights of the Chalice.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
GlobalExplorer said:
If a game is good but short that's something I can live with. Fallout 1 was short, too, but one of the few games I ever finished. With the really long ones (Ultima / Arcanum / Fallout 2 / JA2) I tend to lose interest after about 1/3. That's usually the point where I have seen everything. Of course it's nice that these games have a lot of bonus content, and to be able to go on playing them for ever, but size is also something standing in the way of development, it's better to make games shorter and turn them out faster. Think of episodic content like in Knights of the Chalice.

1) you did not see everything in those games

2) what episodic content in KotC?

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
I think I made a terrible mistake.

2) what episodic content in KotC?

Sorry, I mixed up games here.

No. And go back you your PS3, ADD faggot.

I can sometimes afford to play a week or two straight, but it's gotta end, eventually. Not everyone is living on the dole, you know.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom