Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress X-Piratez! Ironman! No spoilers! Oldschool X-COM Total Conversion with mutant amazon pirates. Death to the star gods!

std::namespace

so im not quite getting it: can we revive anyone unlimited amount of times if that gal was assigned a stasis pod once and wasnt evaporated?

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Ah yes, definitely too weak. Sure thing.
Nah, you're good. Charge the ninja HQ first thing.
so im not quite getting it: can we revive anyone unlimited amount of times if that gal was assigned a stasis pod once and wasnt evaporated?
Ayup. You do get stacking penalties every time you die from commendations, and the stat penalties are pretty severe so an elite soldier will come back closer to a rookie than elite (except for all the commendations).

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Well, this was quick to show up. Sea "Furious" sounds pretty fucking brutal, but I think if we go in guns blazing we can handle a nasty fight.
h5Hj2Zl.png

Well fuck, we don't get to use our ship. I don't like this already.
iz2UxCr.png

Map is small at least, and I'm not seeing any enemies yet. I suppose it's a big underground base?
lYj1BDX.png

Poking around a bit on the surface reveals this guy in a crater/bunker thing.
Ni5DwBM.png

Welp, that's a portable mortar. Since I'd prefer if he didn't fire one at our supplies and blow them all up, I think we need to take him out ASAP.
ucwTkyw.png

Fortunately, he's not THAT tough looking. Certainly an elite, but not like, power armour mutant levels of elite.
kwpZuvq.png

Another friend in a different hole in the ground. Can't get stats on this one; we've neither recovered wreckage nor have the TUs to spare for another probe.
4ZJyqaa.png

It's in this hole over here, Aziri spotted it from the air.
g7nkzQO.png

Well, Lenneth is probably our most well rounded tanky unit if anything reaction fires at us, so she'll take the shot here. Sadly, the Fatty doesn't do the trick.
YbVKNAA.png

EMP rocket takes out the tank easily enough. I expected as much; it's little brother has 75% EMP damage taken. Given the multipliers of EMP damage and such... yeah. Scratch one tank!
KFS2tgF.png

Slut rolls up to finish the trooper off... and also fails. What the fuck? Is their armour highly laser resistant or something?
7sfTR0L.png

I tried tunneling a hole to land some vulcan ammo on the dude next, but no dice there either. Fuck. Starting to think I should have shot him with the gnomedisc.
WI9qhZg.png

Well, we're out of options, so I just kind of mostly take cover and use Slut as mortar bait. She should handle a mortar fine, as long as a bunch of tanks don't roll up and fire on her we should be okay...
7bdehhB.png

That was not a mortar shell.
jAa8HlA.png

They fucking nuked us. What the actual fuck is this mission. It seriously started us on open ground in range of a fucking nuke launcher.
0dGMwSo.png

Slut fell down like 3 levels and is unconscious and burning in a hole in the ground. Lovely. Aziri is dead. Kaboom. Probably no corpse to put in a stasis pod there, let alone a way to salvage the disc.
NEfOFJH.png

I THINK that was the only outright casualty though. We can reach Slut's body easily enough... but it looks like a one way trip. The nuke seems to have uncovered a lot of the base's upper level.
zqKKaqZ.png

Getting a bit closer reveals this dude. I'm going to go ahead and assume those guns do a lot of damage.
iX8qlDA.png

Honestly, the smart thing to do would be just leave and call slut and Aziri a writeoff... but you guys know how I am about this shit. Besides, for all I know this is a one time mission with a cool reward or something. And even if we did leave and come back, we might get a worse layout with someone elsewhere able to nuke us round one. So I go in to save Slut with Lenneth.
01o8mXS.png

Turns out she fell into a room on the 2nd level of the base, one with only a staircase down (and now a hole into the sky) as an entrance. Pretty lucky, all things considered. I can't see anything down the stairs from this angle, so it should at least be safe from a tank shooting up it into the room.
HLsrxGY.png

Modron busts out the pain wand to try bypass the supersoldier's armour. We land the shot but I'm not sure how effective it is.
5CnCe1R.png

Seems there's a lot of chaff here as well with weaker weapons. Not concerned about them.
iQU0m4B.png

A gal in plate with a poison dagger seems like a good bet for keeping this dude from doing anything. We got a good 5 stabs in but he stayed on his feet somehow.
Qnr4ug6.png

Those 2 chem grenades? That's all that's left of the extra gear we brought along. I'm going to cry when I see the 'cannot be replaced' tally after we win this.
eN1fYp6.png

More basically harmless scrubs in the tunnels below. Why couldn't this be the asshole on the surface? That nuke launcher placement was on purpose I'm sure now, just to fuck over people playing ironman with no spoilers. Well played!
WqPDLqo.png

Since I'd rather not get nuked again, I send Maria after the fucker to punch him to death. I didn't do this in the first round in case he was covered by a squad of snipers or whatever, but fuck it, time to play risky.
Qjkmhx6.png

Sure enough, the fucker had a second nuke ready to go. Fucking christ. Sadly, it's not of much use to me. What am I going to do, blow up the dirt and let them all crawl out of the base at once? I suppose it'd be a way to win if we could fire like 5 in a row or something and just melt the whole map... but then there'd be no loot.
mTK9aPV.png

Gandalf approaches the craters and finds another tank. Just what I was hoping for; Lightning Tome from close range directly above will work well here.
iR0HlJB.png

The soldier near the tank just has a lasgun. I'm not even trying to take these guys alive; I'm sure there'd be some kind of useful intel, but fuck this map is a nightmare.
iNaKE0p.png

Top floor of the base seems to be mostly corridors. Good for us; we can easily handle a single chump firing at us and blocking his allies from swarming us.
DsalA9P.png

Damn, only turn 3. This map escalated quickly indeed.
Pc2mLVq.png

Soup has apparently been playing Rimworld lately, and takes being on fire as a good excuse to wander aimlessly.
LqjCqOK.png

Actually landed a demon essence on the back of this supersoldier and it did... nothing? The fuck? Did we miraculously roll like 25 out of 400 or something? Very weird.
XwxcyY0.png

Slut has been revived. I don't have specs for the medispider's healing kit, so I don't know exactly how close to death she was, but assuming it's like the nano kits and heals 8 a piece... REAL damn close to death. Also, that fucking nuke landed close enough to hit under armour. What a cunt.
KYDtng9.png

Lenneth pops down to see how fucked we are... pretty fucked! Bottom floor seems to be loaded with tanks and hallways wide enough to support 2 at once. We'll be hiding in that room for a while methinks.
bt8UqTv.png

Gandalf gets a potshot at a tank. Just one shot so it doesn't go down, but this'll add up quickly.
z0iAr3i.png

Oasis ditches the demon pots for a force blade and puts the supersoldier down in two hits. The fuck? Are they laser resistant or not? Did we just have shit luck with the fatties?
ZERP0cO.png

Maria was hanging around the little bunker where the mortar guy was and got shot from below! There's a hole in the bunker leading down but no stairs. I wasn't expecting anyone to find her here.
zMkNJ8T.png

Thankfully we survive (thanks refractor shields!) (Note to self, remember to make a Jugulator suit) We'll just run back towards the entry point; the surface seems mostly empty.
G8fGlZM.png

Gandalf gets a proper full volley in this time and it destroys a tank. I love this thing. Sadly, it doesn't seem to work well with the skull, at least not while hitting a tank.
FRPBbRW.png

Fucking supersoldier was carrying a satchel charge, and his guns were built into his armour. So the charge is for what... fucking us over if explosions happen near the body? Feels like fucking Tucker's Koboolds down here.
71g0vLe.png

Surface seems almost entirely empty of features besides these few craters and the fenced off entry to the base in the north.
ZAoZ2a3.png

I decide to bring Maria in to support Lenneth and Slut. The room is safe from long range assaults, and Maria is an expert at handling close range threats. Between the three of them, I think we can popamole with the stairs and hold the position indefinitely.
JxLq1lB.png

Slut's first course of action is, naturally, lighting up.
UyUbTcg.png

The enemy phase should be fucking terrifying with all those tanks and potential nukes or worse on the table, but they've actually been so short it's reassuring. I'm no longer naive enough to assume it means few enemies remain, but I at least know there aren't 50 tanks coverging on my position at once if it's ending this quickly.
oLDHapD.png

A yes, the classic rimworld combo of tantrum followed by naptime. Excellent. She's our only remaining flier on this mission, btw. I couldn't send her after Slut in the aftermath because the nuke wiped out her TUs.
zg6KZJW.png

Gandalf takes a break from tank hunting to heal her up, but gets sniped at on the way.
AoqZV5R.png

Sniped at from way over here. Fuck. It'll be at least a turn or two to reach whoever is there, a turn or two to get back.... but if we revive soup now she might get shot instead.
u6dAo8k.png

Oasis is going to do a lot of work in these tunnels. That shield makes lasers a joke and the sword is handling these power armour guys quite well.
aKWxThR.png

Lots of squishy targets down here for the Fatty to mow down.
YXNYZUo.png

Though I'll need to be careful about these stairs getting lit on fire. We've got a crowbar so we could maybe dig a path out, but it'd be a huge problem for sure.
so2j7Um.png

Oasis finds one of these guys as well. Makes sense, I suppose.
GLot2ba.png

The fuck are 'The Russian Files'? They're already ID'd... did I find some of these before? Or are these thing reason I'm here to begin with? Better be fucking worth the trouble.
Qu1vfGJ.png

Another leader over here on the surface was he one shooting at Gandalf.
61Ajulg.png

Modron finds a door leading a the crater overlooking the tanks. It's like shooting armored fish in a barrel!
fWEgje8.png

Still lots of tanks down here, but honestly, I like our odds given the layout.
QwmN0tA.png

Definitely the fastest base raid we've done so far, normally these things are a snorefest where nothing happens for the first 20 turns while we wait for them to approach. Not really an option here.
JErv9ZD.png

Gandalf gets back to soup... she only had a single wound. I probably could have ignored this for quite a while honestly. Whatever.
pF7V6FO.png

Tight Note catches up to Modron and the two combine forces to safely take potshots at the tanks. They've got a ton of that HVAP ammo, so even if they can't kill them quickly, the damage IS getting racked up over time.
swo6zBG.png

Modron is covering the only other direction enemies could approach from, so they should be safe to play this game until they run of of things to snipe.
CXoKdKz.png

Lenneth tests out the spider suit's arms on offense mode... on a nearby tank! It survives about 4 swings without taking health damage, but it seemed to do reliable armour damage at least. Maria performed similarly with her armoured gauntlets. Honestly, Slut's plasma knife is probably the way to go however.
jlPDtNJ.png

Will they make it out alive? Will the game nuke the whole base when a grunt goes berserk and shoots a room full of nuke barrels with a laspistol? Find out next time!
GLb0lHC.png

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
More basically harmless scrubs in the tunnels below. Why couldn't this be the asshole on the surface? That nuke launcher placement was on purpose I'm sure now, just to fuck over people playing ironman with no spoilers. Well played!
It was kinda bad luck to get him spawn there. Otoh, how did you fail to kill a single not-even-that-tough goy spawning so close to the deployment shack?
Or are these thing reason I'm here to begin with?
Yes.

Also, welcome to the easiest of the serious humanist missions. I swear Dio was laughing when he wrote them up as a minor faction in the bootypedia.

Damned Registrations

Base has a bunch of these little cubby holes to hide in on this level. Again, nice for us. These cramped spaces favour elite troops, and we'll make use of them like it's fucking Thermopylae.

1D242I2.png

Seems there is, in fact, an entrance at this spot, a staircase cleverly hidden behind the rocks. Neat.
aB6tlvx.png

Apparently Dio wasn't done fucking with me. I pathed Oasis over into one of those cubby holes to take cover between turns, and found myself dumped down a fucking hole to the bottom floor, in an open corridor surrounded by enemies. I wasn't aware I was playing fucking Wizardry. This would actually be extremely exploitable if we had a flier. Ditto for the craters with the tanks and our gnomedisc.
qdgNedu.png

It looked just like any of the other cubby holes, which don't have this lovely feature, and while it would have been possible to avoid this if I checked the pathing beforehand, I just sprinted there because WHY THE FUCK IS THERE A PIT TRAP IN XCOM?
is6xveX.png

Our options are: Stand here and get fucking annihilated by the guys in power armour, or run out there and get annihilated by everyone else while we maybe make the power armour guys whiff and shoot their friends.
GtxzG64.png

Our TUs are so fucked the power armour guy gets a volley off on us as we approach. Once the turn ends, a laser to the back knocks us out. Oasis has innate regen and maybe a poisoner title? So I've got no real idea how long she can survive here.
fMSnVr2.png

So. Many. Enemies.
OvFisue.png

Maria could concievably dash to Oasis and pick her up... but there'd be no way she'd get back to safety from there.
Nlx6VQo.png

We take out our frustrations on this tank instead. Plasma daggers are frustratingly shit at hurting armored targets. I really want the specs on these things. Vibro swords seem to hit so much harder, I ought to make more of those.
erSq0Vm.png

Gandalf doing wizardy things from above.
8E8RNTB.png

Several turns go by without much progress. The fact is, the enemy numbers are too great to clear a path quickly, esecially with all those tanks.
3e5lQtu.png

I do start to hear screams of morale failure at this point though. Too bad tanks are unbreakable...
9ksKI1K.png

After a while, I concoct a scheme: We'll send soup down into the tunnels to pick the body up and bring it back to the upper level and revive her there! The problem is Soup has no freshness and a weakness to cold so... this is going to take a while.
JpxFtJF.png

It doesn't help that the tanks keep shuffling around so I can't pick them off before they escape.
MxiSSzW.png

Another 4 turns went by... and Oasis kicked the bucket. Well, at least revival is an option, assuming we recover the body.
BhKB5Fq.png

After not seeing tanks for a few turns, Maria splits off to the side to expand our reach.
de4bO5Q.png

There's another saferoom up here. Should make it a lot easier to snag the tanks with melee attacks.
CE8riDs.png

These things... are way too fucking strong. Basically untouchable except from the rear or beneath. Too bad all our anti tank explosive died in NUCLEAR FIRE.
PBTjTA8.png

Gandalf ran out of tanks to snipe at the hole so we run off to explore the surface and find a dude in power armour. Predictably though, they're basically immune to electricity.
EHeEfau.png

We got into melee to avoid getting shot but... he's got friends.
QlvO2cU.png

Plural.
l54XTKA.png

Well, Biosuit doing it's job at least.
IUyXPoq.png

We drop back into the base from one of the holes dug out by the nuke.
XvYOgZQ.png

Soup gets in here as well. Not going to be useful in combat, but can at least stay out of trouble and help support.
Hpgoz43.png

Map begining to drag on at this point.
uW7a6HF.png

The biggest problem is the tanks are fucking pussies that run and hide after being damaged. So we need to move forward into enemy territory to chase them.
eBGV3t2.png

Still some power armor dudes on the top floor of the base as well. Thankfully the snipey guns can handle them reasonably well.
S5xFvPW.png

At last we start picking off tanks. Handy that the fatty doesn't make them explode.
cmWdm5s.png

Another one down here.
uqgb1np.png

There's one up here but I'm hesitant to fire at it, given we might vapourize Oasis' body.
4fPKYCs.png

Finally, Gandalf makes it over to our hidey hole and delivers the crystal skull and some cigars to help our robo-girl out.
Sl3vqL2.png

Note makes her way over to this position, but no enemies in sight to popamole at, sadly.
Io6FIa0.png

Seems even the supersoldiers are having morale issues at this point. Also, their rear and under armour is thicker than what the tanks have!
rEsAU4O.png

Eventually we seem to have cleared out most of the chaff. I'll note that the stormtroopers, like they guy that had the mortar, don't seem to have especially high laser resistance, and went down about as easily as one would expect. That first guy was just ungodly lucky to survive 2 volleys to his back.
Xy7fX4p.png

There was apparently a proper stairwell in that guy's bunker too, not a pit going down. I hate when the game hides shit like that when you're like 4 feet away.
KT1lpoj.png

We've got the edges of the base cleared now, but there's still a big chunk in the middle for shit to hide in.
xCha2qg.png

Those saferooms are peppered throughout the base, making it easy for Maria to hop between them and pop out to stab tanks.
xLW8rt5.png

Improbably, a supersoldier managed to round the corner and open fire on Tight Note, putting her down instantly.
5QZbg23.png

Even more improbably, this ALSO happens to Modron in the same fucking turn. We just ran through like 80 tiles worth of these corridors and found fucking nobody, and everyone on the enemy team has like 30 morale. This was obscenely unlucky.
Mqv6SJX.png

Oh, and soup goes on a walkabout this turn as well. Sure. Why not.
wS6cNYV.png

AND this is the turn a bunch of enemies decide to show themselves.
ImE0T5l.png

Lenneth can patch people up in a hurry in that suit of hers (it does indeed restore 8 health per wound) but we'll have to run past that fucking tank to get there.
lBW2TrV.png

We found their barracks while we're exploring too. Man, why can't ours be this useful, with easy access to a single other floor at multiple points?
vPDUzuz.png

Well, we couldn't get to Tight Note or Modron in time, but we managed to reach Oasis' body, which means we can grab the force blade to make shorter work of these fucking tanks.
4H1ijuM.png

Gandalf tries to shank a supersoldier with a poison dagger. However, while bio suits don't harm melee skill much, poison daggers work off reactions, which it does cripple. And we don't actually have fuck all for evasion so... we eat a bunch of gauss rounds at point blank. Oops. good thing we're tanky as fuck.
ynHFOAl.png

Also a good thing we're stunned so we fall asleep before hitting like 20 hp.
YH185kv.png

Most convenient tank placement ever. Still couldn't cut it down. Skull isn't actually helping at all, since we're just damaging armour.
YnRXHS3.png

These base fights are so exhausting after the first 20 turns or so. Very hard to play properly instead of just clicking through shit quickly.
uFqbzBf.png

Finally we find the tank that was eluding us! It takes about 9 swings, but we took it out!
LxbgIpD.png

Oh. There was another one. This one got away.
G83VXTB.png

Maria runs up behind a super soldier and... fails to secure a kill here too. Seriously what the fuck? Are they all plasma resistant or are the daggers just utter dogshit?
ifMk4VR.png

Thankfully, the tank came back for round 2.
ACxtm4u.png

I actually went all in here, firing twice with Slut and running Lenneth over to finish it. I'd rather risk getting shot at then having to chase that thing down for 10 more turns.
HsmwiEK.png

Even THAT wasn't enough though. In the end, we had to hunt down the supersoldiers, who apparently have the 'cannot surrender' flag. Fucking hell.
Iex83aN.png

5 fucking hands lost. 1 hostage taken. It wasn't even a new one, just a shitty soldier.
KtQZ4Rc.png

Literally the only thing of value here is the russian files. What a giant fucking waste this mission was.
ZhlpFsU.png

I didn't even look at this list properly. I'll do it tomorrow when I'm less salty. This is the shortened list by the way, including only things not at the black market, which was another page or so of random shit.
sYOUm6r.png
jDi8eEg.png

Congrats on the promotion Gandalf :happytrollboy:
T06G45z.png

:thingsareokay:
fvSanmT.png
xjVK266.png

lightbane

Arcane
The equivalent is the Russian base in XCF, less annoying, but the map is used twice. Nukes seem to exist for the enemy mostly, as they don't worry about loot.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
It looked just like any of the other cubby holes, which don't have this lovely feature, and while it would have been possible to avoid this if I checked the pathing beforehand, I just sprinted there because WHY THE FUCK IS THERE A PIT TRAP IN XCOM?
There was apparently a proper stairwell in that guy's bunker too, not a pit going down. I hate when the game hides shit like that when you're like 4 feet away.
This is actually a serious problem with the engine. If there's a hole right next to a wall, it's almost or entirely impossible to see it. And the game is real fucking particular about rendering tiles on lower levels as well. So many times I've just completely missed staircases down for several turns. And of course many of the map authors took this as an invitation to specifically design maps so that stairs would spawn in places they're invisible. I eventually just developed a habit of occasionally scrolling down a layer and trying to path there just to see if I was missing something when encountering new tilesets.
Are they all plasma resistant or are the daggers just utter dogshit?
Plasma daggers are pretty dogshit, but humanist supersoldiers are also highly specced to resist plasma. Probably because they were made to fight star god lackeys with star god plasma.

The fact that your ammo pile also loves to spawn in shit places on some missions is kinda sad too. Russian base is a pretty brutal mission. On my run I popamoled so much up and down the stairs, and there was a goddamn tank that spawned behind a wall which prevented me from winning by morale.

Humanist tanks are pretty crazy, it's insane how you're expected to fight two of them at once during terror missions.

The equivalent is the Russian base in XCF, less annoying, but the map is used twice. Nukes seem to exist for the enemy mostly, as they don't worry about loot.
It is quite fun to have a fuck you button. And there are missions where you don't need to care about the collateral damage.

highly unlikely
is it? how highly?

both are at 33% to act as snipers but have no LOF, i dont know if they'll move to get it as part of sniper behaviour

i would say that actually both are highly likely to try and patrol around, with probably less than 25% chance to turn into that corner

combatodds requires los, and gets a to about 60% (if i read the multipliers right...) worst case, so combat is not actually that likely

KB0pc1b.png

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
highly unlikely
is it? how highly?

both are at 33% to act as snipers but have no LOF, i dont know if they'll move to get it as part of sniper behaviour

i would say that actually both are highly likely to try and patrol around, with probably less than 25% chance to turn into that corner

combatodds requires los, and gets a to about 60% (if i read the multipliers right...) worst case, so combat is not actually that likely

KB0pc1b.png
I cannot decipher that code. In my experience enemies are not nearly as passive as you suggest.

there is no need to read the code
its not about passive or active - the 2 supersoldiers dont have lof, right? well, sniper chance is 33% on both of them - thats the worst case when they actually move to shoot too, they dont have to though
and then there is the option of them walking into you, well, its about 25% to go into that corner if assume every direction to be equally probable
those are pretty good fucking chances to hide and survive

Damned Registrations

Staying in the corner would have been the optimal play at any rate by making the body more accessible from above, if I'd sent Soup over quickly enough. Realistically though, whether or not the supersoldiers killed her that turn, she wasn't getting out of there. She'd have to turn her back to too many enemies to reach a stairwell, and a tank would have rolled by sooner or later and overkilled her, rather than knocking her out.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
its not about passive or active - the 2 supersoldiers dont have lof, right? well, sniper chance is 33% on both of them - thats the worst case when they actually move to shoot too, they dont have to though
Afaik sniper ranks are about how many turns it lasts, not the odds of the behaviour triggering at all?
Staying in the corner would have been the optimal play at any rate by making the body more accessible from above, if I'd sent Soup over quickly enough. Realistically though, whether or not the supersoldiers killed her that turn, she wasn't getting out of there. She'd have to turn her back to too many enemies to reach a stairwell, and a tank would have rolled by sooner or later and overkilled her, rather than knocking her out.
That's probably true. Standing in the corner might also have meant taking shots from the non-supersoldiers first, leading to more turns before bleeding out? Bad situation in general though, death was likely regardless of action.

Damned Registrations

Of the 5 lost hands, 4 are revivable, including Aziri, surprisngly enough! Apparently the wreckage qualifies as a recovered body.

SOW5scy.png

The stat penalties are all temporary and replaced by simply gaining combat xp again, so this really isn't that big a deal, besides the extended downtime. And heck, this is less downtime and potential stat loss than we suffered back at the begining of the game before we had sickbays, where eating half a shotgun blast meant sitting out 3 months worth of missions. The only real annoying stat to recover here is stamina, which takes a bigger hit than the others. But that'll go up in every mission we get xp, so whatever.
XxJExXX.png

God, this part was a pain in the ass. In the end, most of the lost items were replaced. Sadly, we lost a tome of lightning however, I believe we're out of poisonous tentacles now, and we lost some other stuff as well like a force blade and such. Also, while we can eventually replaces some stuff, a bunch of it recquires force circuits to make, and we don't have enough. I really need a good source of church soldiers to fight. Annoyingly, it's mostly warehouse wars and comm towers that provide a lot of people at that level, and they tend to not be crewed by the church. I'll be more aggressive about shooting down their craft. Hopefully we can find a way to create those circuits ourselves soon, as they're needed for the cooler weapons and anything with shields.
sWviZzw.png

Well, all those demon essences from that hell tower have bought us the most expensive wizbiz option... and it sucks. The components we can buy are all low level crap. The most useful one is the smelly rags, honestly, but we're not going to run out of those any time soon and I'd rather run another tavern map to get more.
v4zacJc.png

It did, however, lead to this! More quests sounds great to me, and I like these weirdly restricted ones. Should be fun.
IaqLhcC.png

5 elemental magics? I wonder what they are. At any rate, I'm glad to make more progress with voodoo.
rlPyDGj.png

More ninja info. Farming transports of engines sounds nice, I could use a lot more of those to make reactors for the new bases.
zPXBF3j.png
kZNZqct.png

Sadly, while it hints at a connection to mind probes, it didn't unlock any new tech.
uaUnu31.png

With the Nightmare on the way, it's time to take a good look at our craft weaponry options we've accrued since last time we had a fighter. There's quite a few, but the tesla cannon is the best by far; highest DPS, massive bonus vs shields, perfect accuracy and no ammo. Sadly, we can't build them for lack of force circuitry.
TtKMIld.png

We'll stuff some of these in the light slots instead. They're shit in pretty much every other way, but they should be good for busting shields or heavy armour, and I want something to handle that ninja mobile fortress or science vessels.
OpC000s.png

Very interesting. Not what I was expecting at all, but an excellent reward.
8GyGJSn.png

Yeah, if this leads to being able to produce our own Fatty or M-NP Lascannons, that awful mission was worth it. Presumably this will unlock some good craft/vehicle weaponry as well.
CNOoIjq.png

Decent assault rifle style weapon for once.
fXIwBpr.png

Found a landed courier or some shit from the academy and found this guy with them. Or rather, it found me, in the form of deadly plasma bolts hitting our tank.
pqY4Vvg.png

Thankfully, we survived it with room to spare. Don't let that full bar fool you though, the biotank adds 180 health on top of the character's base. We got hit for a big chunk of damage here.
jn4LSgc.png

I consider fucking around and trying to use emp to get it alive, but it's not worth the risk. Sadly, we didn't even get wreckage from this, I think because it fell onto some rocks or some shit.
bcCfp2f.png

Didn't realize at the time our tank was actually pretty damaged and rolled it on ahead to the enemy ship where we ate about a dozen light cannon shells. Thankfully they didn't even scratch us.
6XZDYvz.png

Oof. That'll take a while to heal. I wonder if switching armour would speed that up or make it worse?
B7fMoEd.png

Ah, forgot to mention this got unlocked when we did the coven research. I'm hoping it's either training, a stepping stone to more magic, or both.
2Ov8D4E.png

Was planning to put this off but after the last two big fights I'm feeling desperate. Sadly, this isn't going to help us at all.
dy2oMVS.png

There's a ton of new options here, but they're all wildly overpriced. No way in hell am I spending 2 million for a medic or 10 million for an esper. Smuggler catgirl is the only one that MIGHT be useful, since they're incredibly rare and smugglers might unlock some cool tech for us.
5kcu0ww.png

This showed up with it too. Presumably will unlock more endgame missions we're not ready for.
je6cHva.png

Found this in the manufacturing list. Sadly, even after finishing it, we didn't have the option to research it. Makes sense I suppose, it is merely ammo.
9aBKXEG.png

Got this after a milk run where Lenneth ran around killing people with the medispider limbs. I wonder what other methods would trigger this? Very strange. Definitely going to try take it to level 7 for that bravery at least.
HtrBnpA.png

At long last, stats on this thing! This chain of researches is going to be a high priority right now for sure. Even simply knowing the stats on these weapons would be a significant advantage.
Mnaoa1T.png

lightbane

Arcane
In OG XCOM, Russia never joined the aliens due a bug, and XCOM was indeed capable of making laser guns with infinite ammo at day 1, not so in XCF. Funny these are canon events.

Damned Registrations

Alas, we are no longer noble savages living in the wilderness, but have become a new boot upon the face of mankind. At least we're sexier than the previous boot.
vDJWjoq.png

Hmm, those sound interesting.
l0xmFDM.png

Tried a short pull (~100 chips) on the slot machines and got a neutronium ticket! The reward was boring, but at least somewheat useful; 2 of every gem will be handy for our future projects I'm sure.
dvH0tFJ.png

This was the next tech after researching the Smashy.
WJjFwI7.png

We can go straight to the fatty from here! Fuck yeah! Also, Snuffy is a new one... heavy cannon maybe?
zfRvpfa.png

Honestly, the slaves barely make a dent in either our storage or income at this point, so if they can be usefully converted to somehting else, that's fine.
Q17eSWw.png

Wow, lots of new shit to clog my manufacturing screen.
wPYepxh.png

Sadly, this seems pretty useless. 800 hours to get 1 cultural wealth? Pass.
N5d9QkG.png

The elite slaves aren't much better. Considering how hard it is to get a slave witch, this is a total waste of time.
ltgnrLr.png

Ah, but a use for the cultural wealth I've piled up is useful! We're better off getting that wealth by turning prisoners directly into workers or turning shit in at the museum, but land deeds are 100 extra inventory space. Very nice.
FhVroPw.png

Privatizing world peace was, apparently, a blueprint for a giant tank. Sadly, it's a vessel, not a vehicle. I'm sure having a god damned basilisk cannon in combat would be helpful, but this thing is slow as fuck, and therefore basically useless. Of more interesting is a secondary recipe marked M- merchanidse. But we can't make that one yet for lack of a facility of some kind. Hmmm.
X72DTYF.png

At long last, we get to see the stats on our favourite gun. And yep... thats a fucking beast. 44 isn't insanely high damage, but it bypasses 1/3rd of armour and fires 9 times, twice per turn. Definitely making some more of these.
cE7IYAo.png

They're not even that hard to make, honestly. I think I'll ship at least 2 to every base in case we need them for defense and pile like 6 in our hangar base for missions.
nii9QzD.png

Damn, that is one powerful slave.
nBCDefs.png

Damn, that is one expensive slave to produce. The swiftsuit alone puts it off the table right now, and in general I'm not sure it's worth all those resources. Probably a component for some kind of cool facility though.
kNacMYv.png

It seems Little Sister is eagerly awaiting her kidnapping.
T6h6K80.png

Ah, the snuffy was a sniper rifle variant. It's not too bad, honestly; 81 damage in the hands of someone with 150 firing like our elite gals or Syn, on par with that commando rifle, but can only be fired twice per round. I might use a few of these for certain missions.
yrOe1Us.png

Turns out we can get big skills from the demons and cacodemons as well! Sadly, while I'd happily trade 10 energy for 8 morale on our Syn... there's no way to equip this on anyone, because it's too friggin' big! What the heck?
BVGzpcZ.png

Missions have been pretty much non-existent this month, which is rather irritating. Aside from pogroms, which I didn't feel like slogging through. But we got our last primal hunt variant! It'll mean a week or more of travel, but I wanted it crossed off the todo list.
0Y3gnSr.png

Welp, the frogs are big, and there's 10 of them. Not a great sign. At least our position isn't too bad.
utylTrV.png

No exam info yet, but we know from the dossier their main threat is a ranged daze attack. Should be fairly easy?
cJsrceO.png

New chitin swords work wonders for sure, carving them up in about 5 hits.
KbVZ0uo.png

The demon essence we brought works well too, with a one shot kill here. Good to know in case things go sideways and we need an edge.
oRQV6mc.png

I made a neat discovery in this mission too: Ogres have access to wrestling when naked, just like peasants do! Wrestling is a pretty powerful form of melee combat, ignoring a lot of armour and inflicting lots of extras like energy and TU loss.
gXBoAb9.png

We took a couple hits from a frog at range with Lenneth. Quite a bit of stun considering our armour, which it also kinda shredded! These would be quite dangerous for a rookie party.
jr28sxq.png

Nice stat gains for our revived soldiers.
EkL3rH0.png

Ended up capturing half the frogs alive, and the usual smattering of junk from a primal hunt.
k9zAV5R.png

Gah! This spawned on our way back. I'd love to go, but we're stuck in transit. Technically I could send some rookie gals from codexia, but I'd rather not risk a wipe; for all I know they've escalated the enemies again and it'll be like, catgirls or some shit at the party this time. Shame to miss out on all those slaves and glamour though.
NIf2oh3.png

Hmm, a way to weed out the pogroms could be pretty nice. I wonder if it'd also remove the eridians and star god purges? I'd still like to do some of those to snag some captives. We'll put it off for now. I need more deep one corpses as well for my trophy case.
iP05749.png
cEocNjY.png

So, unlike the previous counterfitting recipes, that gave maybe a ~1k payoff in terms of value, this one converts a single 200$ chip into 250 100$ chips- basically a 25k payout for the same amount of work. It works out to be more than twice as profitable as chemical production, and the input is basically trivial to maintain. Durathread is still better for income I think, but I'll probably switch to this for ease of production, at least at most bases, because managing the chemical and plastasteel inputs is a pain in the ass.
LRptehL.png

Generally not a big fan of rockets because of the damage to loot but... god damn. A fucking slug rocket? Sign me up. The best part is, I can make vehicle versions too. Load these up on a gnome disk for some brutal armour penetration, not to mention wall destroying capability.
4CMk3OA.png

Finally got around to making this. Probably won't use it simply because large vehicles are so vulnerable to explosives and difficult to keep in cover, but it's a rad concept.
MiLShGB.png

This last section was witch related researches. They obviously happened gradually throughout the weeks I played, but I decided to bundle them all together here because they're a bit samey and it'll be easier to skip over if you're not interested. There's not a lot to say about most of them either, it's mostly lore fluff. After researching a witch, the option to research 'quest advice' from that witch showed up as well, and in the case of the night witch, it also led to the death witch. These were all fairly easy to research so I sped through a ton of them in hopes of being well prepared for their missions next month.

k612wCB.png
FCnyPm2.png

Was hoping the death witch might unlock something for us given our codex, but no dice.
BEZLvHI.png

The quest advice stuff is pretty neat. Obviously pretty pointless if you're spoiled or savescrumming, but really handy for me, and I don't mind getting info in this kind of way, where it's built into the mechanics and has a cost to acquire.
f3uK10y.png
6A8kodT.png

I like the fact that they're giving advice on eachother's quests, backstabbing little shits...

JDuZr92.png

This one was an exception- we got this out of the Socializing research. It also unlocked quest advice but I haven't researched it yet. Interesting that the witches didn't form a cycle of research and I had to find her this way; it's a good thing I've been spamming that research lately so she had a decent chance to show up in time to be relevant, it's still mostly feeding me various national guards.
QMjrLzI.png

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Ah, but a use for the cultural wealth I've piled up is useful! We're better off getting that wealth by turning prisoners directly into workers or turning shit in at the museum, but land deeds are 100 extra inventory space. Very nice.
FhVroPw.png
Vault status: obsolete.
It's pretty cool when you're at -600/100 storage capacity.
Money printer go brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
The quest advice stuff is pretty neat. Obviously pretty pointless if you're spoiled or savescrumming, but really handy for me, and I don't mind getting info in this kind of way, where it's built into the mechanics and has a cost to acquire.
The sad thing is that the advice isn't any good. But I guess you'll find that out soon enough.
The witch quests are also mostly shit unless you're really desperate for infamy.

Last edited:

Damned Registrations

Another rocket variant that should leave loot intact. Though I don't imagine 45 stabbing is going to do much against most enemies I'd want a rocket launcher for. I suppose I could just use it to style on some deep ones or something.

pzHqiSI.png

Interesting option here. Not stellar defenses considering it's power armour with a shield, but it's not shabby, and the shield is about equivelent to a bottomless advanced medkit, which is nice, especially on an exosuit.
QgCwSOj.png

Ninjas interfering with a bloodhound hunt. Lucky us; I could use some ninjas to interrogate and or enslave.
EX5QG8L.png

The skull/book combo turned out to be quite effective after all, given the right targets. Just cleared 4 ninjas out and have 50 TUs left over. And the first 3 died in two bursts and left me at full TUs still. I need more of these skulls!
0QYaaoj.png

Found the new ninja HQ. Thats an awfully big icon, I take it they start with a full base and the airfields and shit pop up elsewhere over time?
D8fZRyK.png

These witch quests seem to have a decent variety, I'm looking forward to them.
3qu06Xg.png

Found this while looking for stuff to build. That's a huge pile of storage to unlock right there.
e9mM2h1.png

Figure we may as well take a look.
Y70rVJx.png

That is... quite the deployment zone.
p6zon34.png

And they've got a potential baby nuke pointed at us arleady. Nice.
XXpMayv.png

Lots of turrets as well. Those I don't give a shit about, they can't penetrate our armour.
53wNhZN.png

I decided to just leave for now. We'll come back later in full force, I've got a few ideas I think will work well.
PInBJSh.png

Ooh, I bet capturing one of these would be good. Gimme those missions we unlocked after the doctor X raid already! Or the space ones! What gives?
VKvGBU9.png

Perhaps next month will be better.
38EnElV.png

Took a lot of crappy weapon researches, but this looks like progress to me.
iB3VLgM.png

These sound neat, though the damage is pretty lackluster.
ZASOP0e.png

Perhaps we can steal the secrets of their moose cavalry.
Q8p8OQk.png

Bit vague on the descriptions, but it seems like even their more advanced ships might be well within our means to handle. I still wonder if we could have taken down that mobile fort if I'd managed to get the crab to tank for the claw.
QVg3BlM.png

FINALLY. This took way too long.
LuEHtxR.png

Another reveal from socializing tech. Moon witch sounds cool. Seems weird moon access was available so long ago but we never got any moon missions.
xv1942n.png

Can finally get rid of our last 2 vaults, and just generally stop worrying about space from now on without constantly buying workers. All those various ship parts and crap kept taking up more and more room and I didn't want to just sell it all off.
llsIiyZ.png

Research is actually catching up now too! We might not need any more brainer facilities after all, our tech list is much shorter and half of it is crap like this; minor variations that obviously won't lead to shit and are quick to finish.
Ubn6nbk.png

I've been putting it off in case we get even better options, but I've decided to bite the bullet and make Oasis and Tits weirdgals as well so I can give them biosuits. With 5 elite gals in biosuits on the field, we should be able to just roll through enemy bases. Clearing out some more faciton bases should give us things like the life support and force circuitry we need for a few projects that I haven't been able to finish. And hopefully cut down on the insufferable supply mission spam.
IsLQflL.png

ITZ HAPPENING. Though I've no idea if itz anything useful. Perhaps I should have just done the measurements research instead of trying to skip it, but I want to see what happens if I follow this without doing that part first. Worst case scenario, I go back and do it later. Best case, I get some weird extra shit for sequence breaking.
cV5hLwD.png

Weird to have it numbered like that. I assume this is going to be an annoying research chain of some kind.
lWikRnY.png

Smart grenade launcher actually unlocked some new shit. The launcher itself was a nice accuracy improvement but... I'd rather use a rocket launcher or mortar honestly. Those pint sized grenades don't have the oomph I need these days.
PnXI1CB.png

Ooh, mission with cyberdiscs. Good to know for multiple reasons.
3sBgUnO.png

We've got cash to spare so I decided to go ahead and do this. No idea when we'll ever see a smuggler ship again and they might be hiding cool tech.
YzX4x3C.png

Fuck, I'm pretty sure I vapourized their gear by accident. Hopefuly just the armour, I don't think I had anything special equipped on them. Annoying either way.
zOAD86T.png

I should get these done as well, we've got the glamour to spare finally. I doubt the fancy guns are actually worth it, but maybe the contact will lead to nice things.
y4P2IIP.png

Now that research is catching up, I'm unlocking all kinds of fun explosives.
3HyMdMl.png

This is also some way better armour than I'd expected it to be. It's not an exosuit either, so might be useful for certain missions. It's got some nice resistances and a lot of stat boosts.
JfMVhRt.png

Another fun bombard ammo. This one has a 'small' radius of 9, and is especially good for destroying terrain. Probably one of the more useful types, honestly.
wfRGryb.png

Hey, anyone remember how this went the last time?
s3tKydZ.png

Aww fuck, I forgot to give this ship a loadout.
IRkJxXV.png

Two questions. First, did anyone bring a rangefinder?
rCCg76A.png

Second question: Does anyone have any questions?
rNgySN6.png

I wish I could have just ended turn right there for style points, but there was a car and a dog left over still. Easily handled that same turn however.
lq6r2fT.png

Orcinator also got +6 throwing for that uh, well aimed shot? Only missed the target by like 5 tiles!
ovD61AR.png

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Though I don't imagine 45 stabbing is going to do much against most enemies I'd want a rocket launcher for. I suppose I could just use it to style on some deep ones or something.
Probably really good against shields? Even with 25% damage taken (if there even is a shield with that good stab resist?), you're looking at 275 damage. Getting that close might be hella iffy though.
I decided to just leave for now. We'll come back later in full force, I've got a few ideas I think will work well.
Major spoiler:
The ninja HQ is top 3 or top 5 hardest missions in the game material. Merc base should be fairly easy by comparison.
Fuck, I'm pretty sure I vapourized their gear by accident. Hopefuly just the armour, I don't think I had anything special equipped on them. Annoying either way.
Armor is the only gear that exists on a dude, everything else is tied to the ship.
rCCg76A.png

Second question: Does anyone have any questions?
rNgySN6.png
Humanist safehouses are really fun to do once you get big explosives. Can't be safe in a house if the house no longer exists.

lightbane

Arcane
Interesting option here. Not stellar defenses considering it's power armour with a shield, but it's not shabby, and the shield is about equivelent to a bottomless advanced medkit, which is nice, especially on an exosuit.
Stolen from Starcraft, top kek.

Found the new ninja HQ. Thats an awfully big icon, I take it they start with a full base and the airfields and shit pop up elsewhere over time?
If it follows the progression of XFIles, they start with small bases that keep growing into full-fledged bases. Or perhaps here they have a super-hq that deploys minor bases constantly, no idea.
Have you gotten rid fo all of the non-merc bases already?

Shame there's virtually no other game that uses the systems of Pirates.

That is... quite the deployment zone.
I hope they let you go with thanks, as it's an enormous space.
Research is actually catching up now too! We might not need any more brainer facilities after all, our tech list is much shorter and half of it is crap like this; minor variations that obviously won't lead to shit and are quick to finish.
You probably have to unlock another title to get more stuff. You can't never have enough scientists.

We've got cash to spare so I decided to go ahead and do this. No idea when we'll ever see a smuggler ship again and they might be hiding cool tech.
I remember there as a mod that allowed you to buy captures from mercs. Perhaps this was integrated.

Humanist safehouses are really fun to do once you get big explosives. Can't be safe in a house if the house no longer exists.
What about the loot though?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom