Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X4: Foundations - Mount and Blade with space-ships. Now with significant Beta update

deuxhero

Arcane
Star Wars mod for X4's new release is in testing for release. Should be done soonish.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
How's the performance nowadays? I tried it just before the last big update and it was quite bad on stations and populated sectors, but apparently the update was supposed to fix a lot of the issues?

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Is there any news on what the next DLC might tackle next? I remember one of the systems dropped many hints that the people there built an ark or colony ship from the high-tech stations they had there when the gates closed and disappeared into the unknown. Wonder if they will touch upon that.
Doesn't make sense that they would have another one tbh. They've finally reached the stage the game should have launched in, this is usually where Egosoft drops a game like a hot potato and moves on to the Next Big Thing (yes that was the actual code name for X4 in development).

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
How are the capital ship controls and fleet battles of the game now? Are they good in vanilla, or are there mods that make them good? I remember finding both cumbersome in X3.

GreyViper

Prophet
How are the capital ship controls and fleet battles of the game now? Are they good in vanilla, or are there mods that make them good? I remember finding both cumbersome in X3.
They are fine, have decent inertia, but you really leave AI to handle the navigation since they are slow as hell. I usually have pilot in all ships who does the flying while I manage other things at the same time.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
They are fine, have decent inertia, but you really leave AI to handle the navigation since they are slow as hell. I usually have pilot in all ships who does the flying while I manage other things at the same time.

Fleet battles are actually much improved in X4. Provided you are OUT of the system and managing it from the universe map. Much easier to manage with the click and drag than what we had before.

In-system, it's the same as always basically. Your Terran fortress of doom will just sit there getting torn up by 50 buzzing mosquito fighters, or your fleet of destroyers will fly into each other's bullets. Or each other. Or, most often, get stuck against the station you are attacking and not being able to move.

pickmeister

Learned
Fleet battles are actually much improved in X4. Provided you are OUT of the system and managing it from the universe map. Much easier to manage with the click and drag than what we had before.

In-system, it's the same as always basically. Your Terran fortress of doom will just sit there getting torn up by 50 buzzing mosquito fighters, or your fleet of destroyers will fly into each other's bullets. Or each other. Or, most often, get stuck against the station you are attacking and not being able to move.
What's the point of 3D graphics then? Might as well play Dwarf Fortress instead since any decent gameplay is done by starring at the map.

Last edited:

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron

What's the point of 3D graphics then? Might as well play Dwarf Fortress instead since any decent gameplay is done by starting at the map.

The "decent gameplay" is building your trading empire. This is a German autist economic sim. The shootan is just a way of protecting your factories, or expanding into new territory.

Does the Anno series have amazing fleet combat? How about the Port Royale series?

And conversely, there is no other space game that even allows you to have these kinds of fleet battles, let alone one with AI that works well.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

What's the point of 3D graphics then? Might as well play Dwarf Fortress instead since any decent gameplay is done by starting at the map.

The "decent gameplay" is building your trading empire. This is a German autist economic sim. The shootan is just a way of protecting your factories, or expanding into new territory.

Does the Anno series have amazing fleet combat? How about the Port Royale series?

And conversely, there is no other space game that even allows you to have these kinds of fleet battles, let alone one with AI that works well.
Starshatter actually had cool fleet battles you could control from your carrier. Void Destroyer 2 too (but the game is very unstable at high ship count), but they both lack the trade empire building part of X4.

I liked the fleet combat of Port Royale 1 actually, and always regretted them moving to something else for PR2+.

Has anyone tried this mod?
https://www.nexusmods.com/x4foundations/mods/839
Does it solve some of the main AI fleet issues?

Last edited:

GreyViper

Prophet

Starshatter actually had cool fleet battles you could control from your carrier. Void Destroyer 2 too (but the game is very unstable at high ship count), but they both lack the trade empire building part of X4.

I liked the fleet combat of Port Royale 1 actually, and always regretted them moving to something else for PR2+.

Has anyone tried this mod?
https://www.nexusmods.com/x4foundations/mods/839
Does it solve some of the main AI fleet issues?
No have not, thanks I will try it out. As mentioned the game is solid, but it's plagued by certain issues like pathfinding which can be frustrating. I still hope Egosoft will put a few more DLCs out before moving on to the next game. I know they are trying to get ppl to go along with their always online thing, but no really cares.

Jinn

Arcane
I'd care about the online stuff only if co-op was part of the deal. Playing this in co-op would be amazing.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
It does if you are travelling. And if you are waiting for something then that should just be made quicker or balanced another way. SETA is like putting CheatEngine in the game because they are too dumb to balance it properly.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Seta is just a skip time option. Enemies also build up their economy when you do it.

Exactly. I for one am 100% certain the mouth-breathers bitching about it ITT never use time acceleration in every other game that has it, like the Anno series, every "Tycoon" game, every "Simulator" or every Total War game because it's MUH CHAETING. :retarded:

X4 is already designed to be pretty playable without SETA, I wonder if they had plans for some kind of multiplayer at some time (or in future games on the same engine?)

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
X4 is already designed to be pretty playable without SETA, I wonder if they had plans for some kind of multiplayer at some time (or in future games on the same engine?)

They had plans for that yes, in Stillbirth. But that was always a consoletard Freelancer rip-off with the X name slapped on, intended to "appeal to a broader audience" and launch on the Xbawx.

In X4, there was a limited form of multiplayer in previous versions, called "ventures", which got "temporarily disabled" a few years ago, I think with the Split DLC. It will be enabled again Real Soon(TM)

NwNgger

Educated
Is this worth playing? I just want to trade stuff in space.
Yes.

It's the best "trade stuff in space" game around.
You are correct because it's a low bar. I don't know of any other space sim that can simulate an economy in the same granular way X does. But play the game for a longer play session and the AI just snaps in half. Even if you're just trading and not doing combat stuff. Completely ruining the illusion of that dynamic and reactive world. They still haven't fixed the AI going bad after a certain point in a long running game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom