Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

XBOX-2 hardware revealed ?

chrisbeddoes

Erudite
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/04/27 ... hitecture/

The schematic, which appears here on GZeasy.com, reveals a three-core 3.5GHz CPU backed by 256MB of main memory and a 500MHz graphics chip.

In what may be a blow to hopes of some AMD fans that the Xbox 2 contains Athlon 64 processor technology, the CPU is linked to main memory via a traditional North Bridge, not through an integrated memory controller.

According to the spec, each of the processor's three cores contains its own vector processing unit, along with 64KB of L1 cache, split 50:50 between data and instructions. The three cores share a single on-die L2 cache that's 1MB in size.

The processor connects to the North Bridge across a bi-directional bus with a total bandwidth of 21.6GBps, according to the spec. That, in turn links up to the South Bridge over a two-way 500MBps bus.

The console's unnamed graphics chip - known to be coming from ATI - apparently contains 10MB of embedded DRAM within the packaging. The GPU itself can run through 16 pixel shader interpolations per cycle, the schematic claims, along with 16 bilinear texture fetches and 48 ALU ops in the same period. The vertex shader and pixel shader are load balanced.

The North Bridge also feeds through to the console's video scaler unit.

The South Bridge features integrated DVD and 100Mbps Ethernet support, along with hard disk support, though the spec. notes that whether such a unit will be built into the console remains "not decided".

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Well, whenever it comes out, PCs will already be faster.

wizard

Liturgist
chrisbeddoes said:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/04/27/xbox_2_architecture/

In what may be a blow to hopes of some AMD fans that the Xbox 2 contains Athlon 64 processor technology
Is The Register blind/deaf or something? It has been known for a while that Xbox 2 uses IBM PowerPC-processors.

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
If they are using Athlon 64 processor then they xbox will probably be better looking except in resolution of course. The transition on pc from 32 bit and 64 wont take place for awhile and the developers for xb2 have specific specs so they can push it more without having to work for different hardware like the pc. So we can see how much faster games will go when specificially designed for 64 bit? The pc will pass it up soon after probably, and the xbox sucks so it can bite it.

Drone666

Novice
Xbox kicks ass consoles meant to be stable gaming platforms and thus hardware chagnes aint realyl part of that lol. pcs have thier thing consoles thiers the line is gettin blurred lol. and consoles nowdays act more like pcs speically xbox. consoles mobile gaming units that ya dont have to really be all tecky well if ya are it helps. stable

pc multi function tool fun machine essentialy jack of all trades that can be great suck depending on what ya do to it. Sorta like a car

volvo console highly tuned out race car pc

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
You didn't think he was really OMG OMG OMG all the time, did you? Good God, he'd be intolerable then.

It's also really funny when I read a thread, start thinking about replying and as I read down, find out I already did reply over two months ago and that what I wrote back then is exactly what I was thinking again now.

Drone666 said:
and consoles nowdays act more like pcs speically xbox.
Oddly enough I plugged by N64 into my Computer the other day and can now play exciting, mind bending games such as Southpark on a PC. It was at that point I realised how much better PC games are. I mean really, would you ever pay full price for a Southpark PC game where all you do is throw snowballs at Turkeys? Then there's the fact that the N64 came out in the time of Quake 2 and the like and one of the many exciting games on offer is Hexen 64. A game that runs on a 486. That came out at full price too... Bought it for about $15 at a pawn shop.

Drone666

Novice
No shit lol computers always kicked ass after peopel started takin them seriously more than just bullshit type writer with a screen. Consoles do have thier place rather play halo at least multiplayer online offline off xbox.

rather play the grand theft auto 3 and vice city off console. and some other ones alot of other games obviously off a pc. wish Perfect Dark or a sequel would come to life hehe.

Nintendo a comapny hope has learned unless you can succesfuly be diffrent on things in buisness dont do it. thier last system current whatever gamecube could of ben alot better. Sony kicked asss with the ps1 and ps2. Xbox showed what consoles should be liek at the minumum of how it was is setup. Without consoles PCs now days might not be where they are cause game comapnys or companys took consoles seriously.

After a while when computers started actually bein able to do thing specaily when 3dfx kicked in other compaines computers started to realy show they could be so much and thus where PCs are at today and going ya 85 percent of games now will do better off PCs well a good amount do well on all systems consoles PCs.

SHit come out ofr pc and console lol you can rent somehtin for console see if its a peice of shit lol and 7 to 10 even more aint enough for a trial on a online game well ya thiers demos for pc games usally so guess thats pc version dont have to pay for the demo though well renting off console gives full game. all good lol even each other out on that part.

Pcs will always be ahead of consoles ya i do have ps2 which i never really use for certain reasons. PC use alot but if ever really had the money will soon willbe usin both at diffrent times. do rember the days of playin first wolfenstien on an arcahic comp off disks. Each has thier place. N64 that was weird ass Nintendo got same great games to it but not goin cd format kicked thier ass. at least the cartridges ya didnt have wrry aobut breakin sctrachin lol.

wth would y buy hexen if ya did have n64 or no matter what. Put i the good shit that was made for that. Or play PC why do ya think game comapanys make games for consoles and Pcs or at least most of them do. consoles now not really meant to be a total computer jsut usin some functionality of soem of the pc stuff makes sense each one has its place.

Rosh

Erudite
Too long; sounded too retarded; didn't bother inflicting the pain upon myself to read it.

Don't breed. Don't even bother trying. There's enough instinct to want to cull the herd in humans, don't tempt people. One day, someone will leave you drooling in your wheelchair to fulfill your destiny as a greasy stain on I-5. Until then, please chew on the keyboard cable. Thank you very much.

Anonymous

The only reason I play consoles is because there are games on consoles I like, I think PC is superior in the ability to meet the things I like in games, so that's my main platform.

But consoles got a few good titles, so I buy the one with the most good/fun games, I got a PS2 because of all my PS1 games I like (and the few PS2 games I like, mainly the Metal Gear Solid games), and i'm thinking about getting a Gamecube on those reasons (Smash Brothers Melee, Twin Snakes, and a few others). That is also the reason I dont want an XBOX, all that is on XBOX is dogshit, the 'good' games on it are usually crappy and overrated games (Halo).

Lately i've been on my PS2 playing War of the Monsters, that game fucking rocks (1950s sci-fi monsters fighting it out in giant cities, smashing stuff and beating each other with cars and trains and their special moves, not to mention the fun Atomic paranoia in everything).

Drone666 said:

If this guy doesn't qualify for being classified illiterate I don't know who does. Jesus christ you don't so much write as rape the english language do you. Where is the stream of consiousness here,the logical progression of thought. Do you black out every few seconds and just fire off on a tangent when you awake slightly damp from having urinated in your grandpa grade nappies.

mr. lamat

Liturgist
i like my xbox. it's rather difficult to get four friends around a computer for a game of nhl 2004. that's the strength of the console market, group gaming. yea, pbem moo2 was lots of fun, but a case of beer, the vancouver canucks (with igilna and gaborik) and three other twenty-somethings bouncing around the living room like eight year-olds is so much better.

Psilon

Erudite
Only console I've got is a GameCube, again specifically for the group gaming. Super Smash Bros. Melee and WarioWare are excellent warmups while you wait for the rest of the board gamers to arrive. There's nothing on the PS2 or XBox that interests me, so I'm unlikely to buy one of those. I may get a GBA for Four Swords, however--that's pretty fun.

Once you move out of college, it gets a lot harder to arrange a LAN party with friends.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
+5 Phage Respect Points to Ed123

I never thought this day would come.

Kill Do

Educated
DarkUnderlord said:
You didn't think he was really OMG OMG OMG all the time, did you? Good God, he'd be intolerable then.

It's also really funny when I read a thread, start thinking about replying and as I read down, find out I already did reply over two months ago and that what I wrote back then is exactly what I was thinking again now.

Drone666 said:
and consoles nowdays act more like pcs speically xbox.
Oddly enough I plugged by N64 into my Computer the other day and can now play exciting, mind bending games such as Southpark on a PC. It was at that point I realised how much better PC games are. I mean really, would you ever pay full price for a Southpark PC game where all you do is throw snowballs at Turkeys? Then there's the fact that the N64 came out in the time of Quake 2 and the like and one of the many exciting games on offer is Hexen 64. A game that runs on a 486. That came out at full price too... Bought it for about $15 at a pawn shop.

As a former console developer for the prospercube, i do have interst in the n64.

does obsidian to make southpark ?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Obsidian:
Now working on Fallout: New Undermountain!

They promise to spend only a year on this title - only a year less than the original Descent to Undermountain!

I miss Rosh. :(

deuxhero

Arcane
Did these specs turn out to be right?

Here I thought this was a reference to some obviously fake Wii U specs out this week.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Yes they did except for RAM. It has 512 MBs which it shares between the main memory and the videochip.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Jaesun said:
Obsidian:
Now working on Fallout: New Undermountain!

They promise to spend only a year on this title - only a year less than the original Descent to Undermountain!

I miss Rosh. :(

There is a RO SHAM BO spell in the southpark RPG....

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom