Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Xenoblade Chronicles 3 (Switch)

jungl

Augur
The game is mediocre. Very linear. Story is serviceable but dialogue is a miss. The worst part being the snooze fest mmo combat. Honestly the only pro is it runs well on emulators otherwise I would be playing SMT5 instead. Every other jrpg coming out this year is probably more fun to play.

raz3r

Novice
Word of advice, if you're planning to play the game on Yuzu don't, in chapter 3 when you get to a specific region (Pentelas) the game will hard crash on Vulkan after a second and will still crash on OpenGL, only after a few minutes instead. Tried that both on Linux (Steam Deck) and Windows 11. Ended up buying the game on Switch.

Nelka

Educated
Word of advice, if you're planning to play the game on Yuzu don't, in chapter 3 when you get to a specific region (Pentelas) the game will hard crash on Vulkan after a second and will still crash on OpenGL, only after a few minutes instead. Tried that both on Linux (Steam Deck) and Windows 11. Ended up buying the game on Switch.
This region has some serious issues on AMD GPU (and Vulkan), had to play the whole area on OpenGL. Yuzu github is full of reports on this subject.

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
I'm at chapter 6, they just send me on an MMO fetch quest but when i visit the colonies they are talking about getting ready for some final battle, i don't understand why they feel the need to make main story so long, game has a ton of side content for the ones that enjoy the combat and lore.

I also love her.
WOlSZzz.jpg

I wouldn't fix her like some other faggots say, i love her as she is.

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
Finally finished the game, it was amazing. Probably one of the best love stories told in videogames. Xenoblade 2 changed a lot with updates and expansions so i will wait to do a full review until all content comes out. I clocked 102hs but i could probably do 20 more doing side stuff, i didn't 100% because i wanted a reason to go back to the game and have an excuse to use the new heroes and stuff they will add. I have read a couple of people online angry about the ending but all i can say is that they probably didn't pay much attention to the story, same fags that call Marche the bad guy of FF Tactics Advance.

Last edited:

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
Had to give up at around 40 hours, chapter 5. I tried oh how I tried but even skipping most of the cutscenes wasn't enough in the end. Gay characters, lame story, boring world. At least XB2 had some whimsy and a cool world, not so much here.

Oh yeah, and the combat is worse than XB2, the orb system was a bit puzzley but that at least kept it interesting for longer.

Last edited:

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I dropped it at about 30 hours, chapter 4 I think. I gave it a good shot and wanted it to get better, but I just couldn't stomach any more of the awful gameplay, characters and dialogue. Genuinely one of the most unpleasant JRPGs I've ever played.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
Easily better than XC1 and 2 imo. Already played 50h and still on chapte 3 with the amount of shit to do and the world feels good to explore. Might enter my top 5 games.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I watched it on Twitch tv and it felt like fanservice. No real decent story, main characters were kinda meh. Plot holes everywhere. Also it tried to cater to teenage audience which make story worse.

cruel

Cipher
I started playing this, after 7h in it seems better than X2, but worse than X1. Combat seems OK, cast / music are worse than X1, but at least it doesn't have any of the annoying crap from X2:
- you don't want to kill the main protagonist
- you can pickup items directly by walking through them on the field
- no stupid ideas like exploration held behind a skill-check
- fighting regular mobs takes reasonable amount of time
- nobody had a retarded idea of having all skills on cooldown when combat starts
- you heal normally, instead of chasing stupid potions on the field
- the game doesn't seem to be created for 12 year old (outside of tutorials, wtf is this)

But overall, I have this feeling that the game could use some more time in the oven for polishing, character development etc. We will see how it goes.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I have two questions:

1) Does the game ever get more complicated than auto attack with your choice of three positional special moves on cooldown and an additional ultra that comes online now and again?

2) I know that the various games in the series had slightly different combat systems. Are any of them actually good? Or is it all just MMO-lite crap?

Puukko

Arcane
I have two questions:

1) Does the game ever get more complicated than auto attack with your choice of three positional special moves on cooldown and an additional ultra that comes online now and again?

2) I know that the various games in the series had slightly different combat systems. Are any of them actually good? Or is it all just MMO-lite crap?
Yes, you will eventually have an additional 3 master arts linked to your existing 3 for a total of 6 per character. You'll unlock lots of classes with very different sets of arts, skills and talent arts to carry over to other classes, so you can build semi custom classes that way. You also unlock Ouroboros forms with their own skill trees, as well as chain attacks which can be surprisingly tactical despite their simple premise. Noah also get a couple custom things to spice things up.

The game starts off very barebones and takes a fairly long time to unlock everything for you. Given that it's a very long game, I didn't mind this. Overall I'd say they got the complexity of the combat right which in addition to never ending party building optimization tickled my 'tism.

The earlier games have comparatively simpler and yes, MMO-lite combat systems. Both 1 and 2 have elements of 3's but stripped down. X does its own thing and is more complex than those two. It's the system I look forward to returning to after having played all of these games since it's not just a lesser version of what 3 had.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I have two questions:

Yes, you will eventually have an additional 3 master arts linked to your existing 3 for a total of 6 per character. You'll unlock lots of classes with very different sets of arts, skills and talent arts to carry over to other classes, so you can build semi custom classes that way. You also unlock Ouroboros forms with their own skill trees, as well as chain attacks which can be surprisingly tactical despite their simple premise. Noah also get a couple custom things to spice things up.

The game starts off very barebones and takes a fairly long time to unlock everything for you. Given that it's a very long game, I didn't mind this. Overall I'd say they got the complexity of the combat right which in addition to never ending party building optimization tickled my 'tism.

The earlier games have comparatively simpler and yes, MMO-lite combat systems. Both 1 and 2 have elements of 3's but stripped down. X does its own thing and is more complex than those two. It's the system I look forward to returning to after having played all of these games since it's not just a lesser version of what 3 had.
Thanks. I actually don't mind open world MMO-ish collect and zone out gameplay but if it was just straight leveling up with no additional abilities/build choices other than a few accessories, I was going to punch myself in the dick for buying this. I'm still ridiculously early in the game though. JRPGs starting glacially slow is basically a genre feature.

cruel

Cipher
Finally finished the game yesterday, took 100h. Did main story and some side stuff. Overall, mixed feelings, I feel that the game had the potential to be much better, but probably still worth playing:
+ good combat system: ability to switch characters, a lot of customization, many different classes, skill + arts inheritance, accessories that make a difference
+ decent story
+ the game just let's you play and doesn't annoy you with stupid shit
+ zero wokeness, strong lesbians and other stuff
+ few good tracks on music side, but overall OST a little bit underwhelming
- shit level writing frequently, forcing you to skip dialogue; it seems like the writers were told 'the more you write = better', which is horrible, frequently you just want them to shut up
- not very difficult, easy to get over leveled, I remember only 2 fights in the whole game that I needed to retry more than once (but I was over-leveled, to be fair)
- some pieces felt rushed or unfinished; your team members have a tendency to cry and despair when something bad happened to a character they spoke ONCE in their life for like 2min, very unnatural
- inconsistent character development, they clearly lacked the talent for this game; not sure what they were thinking when designing Sena for example, mascot characters are also much less fun than usual
- the game feels 'too nice'; there are some moments when you expect characters to show some rage, but instead they go like 'oh, why are you so bad for us?' etc.
- annoying tutorials in the first 15h, but they stop at some point
- average area design, not as memorable as X1
- some side quests are extremely low quality (eg. collect 20 pieces of 3 kinds of fruit, etc.)

Overall, better than X2, worse than X1 (cast, music, memorable moments), didn't play X. Good enough to play through it, just don't expect greatness.

Puukko

Arcane
I'd be doing the expansion right now but AMD+Vulkan is a no go with it on either emulator for the time being so I went back to FE Engage instead for its extra content. Thanks Nintendo, but I still hate you. :M

Sentinel

Arcane
I started playing this game at release, and only now picked it back up because it's kinda boring the first couple hours. I'm at the part where you have to storm the castle and you fight 2 ferronis & consul after, and I can finally say that the game's story started picking up, what with Mio opening up to Noah and all.

Excited to play more and see what comes next.

Sentinel

Arcane
Just started Chapter 6. Ending of Chapter 5/beginning of 6 is the peak of the series so far in terms of narrative.

Sentinel

Arcane
I'd be doing the expansion right now but AMD+Vulkan is a no go with it on either emulator for the time being so I went back to FE Engage instead for its extra content. Thanks Nintendo, but I still hate you. :M
Did the expansion ever get fixed on emulators for AMD?

Puukko

Arcane
Latest yuzu report says it's likely a hardware limitation (near end of article):

https://yuzu-emu.org/entry/yuzu-progress-report-apr-2023/

I'm hoping they'll come up with a workaround.

Sentinel

Arcane
Latest yuzu report says it's likely a hardware limitation (near end of article):

is OpenGL not an option?

Puukko

Arcane

is OpenGL not an option?
It is, but the shader compilation makes it very stuttery. Apparently the issue only really affects the starting area so you could change to Vulkan later but I didn't get far enough in to confirm.

cruel

Cipher
Is the expansion for X3 really that good? I sold the base game after finishing, assuming that DLC won't be anything great, but I see its getting glowing reviews - is it really worth getting?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom