Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Xenonauts 2 - now available on Early Access

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
40 € for the game at full price? Damn... thats a bold move. I kickstarted this at the lowest tier to get the game so w/e, but what I have seen so far doesnt seem to justify this price tag at all.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
It's really sad how everything about this is going early access RELEASE TODAY!

Will play this a bit tonight to see if it's as disappointing as I expect it to be.

40 € for the game at full price?
It is asking quite a lot, but at the same time it's not like xcom clone is a very saturated market at the moment.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Still pretty hefty for what they're asking for though.
Phoenix Point Complete is about that price, I think, and that's considerably more advanced in terms of graphics and you get all of the DLC.
For 10 euros more you can get Witcher 3 Complete, which is a AAA open world game with pretty decent graphics and you get the DLC.
For the same price you get Wrath of the Righteous, which has slightly better graphics and stupid amount of content, with a single playthough taking about 189 hours (according to How Long to Beat. It took me 208) if you try to go for the completionist route, even longer if you play turn based. Keep in mind that this is a game with multiple endings and a stupid amount of builds.

40 euros for a 2.5D-ish Indie Unreal Game on release with no DLC included is a bit of an eyebrow raiser.

Last edited:

ropetight

Savant
Phoenix Point Complete is about that price, I think, and that's considerably more advanced in terms of graphics and you get all of the DLC.
For 10 euros more you can get Witcher 3 Complete, which is a AAA open world game with pretty decent graphics and you get the DLC.
For the same price you get Wrath of the Righteous, which has slightly better graphics and stupid amount of content, with a single playthough taking about 189 hours (according to How Long to Beat. It took me 208) if you try to go for the completionist route, even longer if you play turn based. Keep in mind that this is a game with multiple endings and a stupid amount of builds.

40 euros for a 2.5D-ish Indie Unreal Game on release with no DLC included is a bit of an eyebrow raiser.
Those are all older games that are basically in budget bin, but 40 bucks is too much for this.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member

'for the same price or less you can instead get a shit game, a shit game, or a shit game!'

Luka-boy

Arcane
It was pretty funny seeing many streamers last week playing the beta talking about the game being finally fully released this week :smug:

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Don't think they will get nice traction out of the early access. It's too expensive, too much like the previous games, with the added stigma of being an alpha.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane

'for the same price or less you can instead get a shit game, a shit game, or a shit game!'
> Implying that X2 won't also be shit
:rpgcodex:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker

PP is really the only game of the same genre and while it has problems (but I still had a lot of fun with it) it is also seems hard to argue for buying x2 over pp+x1...

Ryzer

Arcane

Shitting on Witcher is very unpatriotic for you. :rpgcodex:

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
40 € for the game at full price? Damn... thats a bold move. I kickstarted this at the lowest tier to get the game so w/e, but what I have seen so far doesnt seem to justify this price tag at all.
It's basically an expansion. Or it's a new version.

Basically, it's not a completely new game at all. And it's still bad in certain areas.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
AND X1 is still basically unplayable without the community patch which took another couple of years work, these guys are really taking the piss.

Look forward to playing it in 2033 though.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
It was pretty funny seeing many streamers last week playing the beta talking about the game being finally fully released this week :smug:
Wait are you saying it's not possible to finish it?
Correct. According to the devs its like 85% complete.
85 percent complete? That kinda reminds me of the picture from when Pelosi visited Taiwan.

IoY2Ffn.png

They even launched transport planes from Japan with water rescuing equipment in case of crash into ocean.
Then they found she just took a detour, and arrived to Taiwan from the South.
She even bought shares in company that is manufacturing drugs for repairing cells after radiation damage. She was ready. Chinese didn't play ball.

Then again she had zero radar return, and she stuffed with alcohol and ice cream so hard before voyage, she had colder than room body temperature. Chinese were lucky that pole was there, otherwise she would continue. Then she'd ask for directions on Chinese mainland, find a triad member she didn't see 3 decades, had nice chat with triad member, meanwhile alcohol would evaporate a bit, and she would arrive to Taiwan at night from the North. All that while Chinese fighters were trying to find her west of Taiwan. The shame would be remembered for generations.

OK it's worse than Pelosi arrival on Taiwan, she at least arrived in style.

Jrpgfan

Erudite

That's how the average consumer thinks though. They don't judge the game by how much fun they can get out of it or its complexity but the production values. The "why 40 euros for this when Witcher 3 is cheaper" argument seems accurate. Going full Cleve on pricing is not a smart move, financially speaking.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
So I played for like 2 hours. Built a 2nd base, shot down 2 ufos, did 1 random alien hunt, 1 downed ufo, 1 office building raid. Playing on veteran except dynamic ufo health turned off, because ufo hp scaling to how many interceptors you bring is retarded.

Feels very much like x1. The previews for firing angles are nice, and I think the ui is slicker in general. The office raid was at least interesting, since you need to get in, loot shit and then get out before the swat teams arrive (they're way too strong and too many to fight, at least early on). For the alien hunt the last alien decided to hunker down in a broom closet, which is always annoying. AI felt a bit better than I expected, more flanking, did some hit and run. At the same time, ufo hulls still seem indestructible and los over elevation differences are just as fucked as x1. It also sure seems like ufo breaching will be the exact same thing. And you still get the trap option of not doing downed ufo missions in exchange for cash (drastically less compared to just doing the mission).

Interception minigame seems to be exactly the same as x1, although there's also a big popup going ACHTUNG UNFINISHED CONTENT but at this point I assume this means "I want to make the sprites sharper and keep everything else the same".

It is good, just as x1 is good but still profoundly disappointing. It's just so hard to believe this guy has spent 7 years to make this. The original project timeline seems to have been for the game to release just 2 years after the original, which would explain the limited scope, but....

The loading times are also really slow for some reason, which is very annoying.

Last edited:

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Sadly the game is as bland as the first one, i would even say that the first mission feels blander than in the first game, solely beucase you get the deja-vu feeling, you are basically playing same game with better engine.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It has a 25% discount, though, so the "real price" is 29.99. I suspect it was done to encourage players to buy at launch rather than later .

StippleAlpha

Literate
What tees me off about Xenonauts 2 is the fact that they abandoned Xenonauts 1, and left it to the community to finish their game. Then they spent eight years working on Xenonauts 2, and all they have to show for it is a quasi-3D isometric--literally everything else besides some UI elements is the same from the old game. It's just double-dipping.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
What tees me off about Xenonauts 2 is the fact that they abandoned Xenonauts 1, and left it to the community to finish their game. Then they spent eight years working on Xenonauts 2, and all they have to show for it is a quasi-3D isometric--literally everything else besides some UI elements is the same from the old game. It's just double-dipping.

So far ive seen them adding new missions, you hunt cleaners and have to retrieve data on a mission instead of kill all. The enemies appear in timed waves so theres no way to win, you have to escape with gathered materials into the chopper. Overall, maybe this beta stage will help to develop it quicker. There's also a fukcton of bugs, i had array errors in the globe log.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom