Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Xenonauts

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Alright you apes. Time for another update. This one might be a bit messy. Played it while being interrupted on and off by wife and kids.

Guess that sucks, but such is life. Off we go.

9W3oYgP.jpg

First off, a slew of base buildings finish construction. With three radar arrays, we've got maximum coverage in our primary base. And two labs and two workshops also seem to be optimal.
The medical center is to help get our soldiers back into action sooner.

MbrozEF.jpg

Our research is still in its infancy, but we'll soon be able to mug more aliens into submission.

pMnmp5H.jpg

On the global scale, shit's happening outside our coverage. I need to remedy that soon. Or our funding will plummet.

HEq9ff5.jpg

HEq9ff5.jpg

EKhPTPi.jpg

The Jackal armour is an important improvement. Raising our 0 armour values to 22, excepting against chemical.
This armour isn't exactly flattering, and it's a stop-gap measure until we get something better. It will however increase survivability for now.

BqMm9R5.jpg

I also built extra hangars, so I decide to order a third interceptor.

ZynPeAz.jpg

The different biomes have different possible maps. The desert biome allows for this market so you can LARP you're a Tusken Raider or something.

sCNdR89.jpg

Nagy here shows us that yes, it is possible to face-tank a shot from the early aliens and survive with just 1 hp left.
Close call here on your "dibbed" soldier, Andnjord..

fLJTm8I.jpg

She did survive though. And got a medal for it. Private Paul Allen was not as lucky.

bXz5hyt.jpg

ruFNboq.jpg

Back home again, we manage to further our research. Alien Biology is another step towards stun weapons. I'm not using the tech tree chart that I've seen in the Steam guides. Instead I'm going by what I seem to recall from when I last played the game a decade ago.
This isn't the Piratez! mod, so I'll not hinder myself noticeably by going blind.

m9DFcNg.jpg

We pay our respects for the fallen soldier, by hiring a replacement as quickly as possible. I'm going for high bravery for our new recruits now, as I seem to recall that stat being important and sorta difficult to raise.

H7XYORY.jpg

Here we can see what the purple heart medal actually does. And other medals, once we earn them. Purple heart boosts the bravery stat slightly.

h0D5Y1g.jpg

And this is an overview of our troop carrier. Here we drag and drop our soldiers until we're happy with the setup prior to missions. I like being able to step my snipers just outside the craft to plink at the enemy.
Speaking of soldier roles, I'm thinking of changing our riflemen into other roles. Once I get shields, our assault troops will get shields and pistols, with stun batons for capture. I might want a third of those. And maybe more than one heavy. One with a machine gun, one with a rocket launcher. Often terrain is to your advantage, but other times you just want a hole in a wall, and you want that hole now. Rockets can help in that regard.

e3hcBh4.jpg

With the new lab up and running, we better fill it with scientists. Hiring them is cheap. But their upkeep can cripple your game if you're not careful.

kE22FIF.jpg

More small UFOs pop, and I shoot them down.

iNommVK.jpg

Milk run. The stat improvements is a really good argument for doing these missions as often as possible, and trying hard to keep your best troops alive.

YEHndOl.jpg

Yeah. My interceptors have limited range, and even more limited speed. That's not good. Fortunately, it can be remedied.

a5VpeLf.jpg

Here we get another mission type. Night missions. They're not that more difficult, you just play them slower, as you'll want to toss flares all over the place. Remember, you get unlimited flares..

4W9EqpN.jpg

Some of these maps sport armed civilians. This cop totally reamed a Sebillian. I had, by chance, thrown a flare right at the Sebillian feet (didn't know it was there before I threw). I had resigned myself to losing a soldier during the alien turn. Instead, the Sebillian missed his shots, then this cop blew it to bits. I'm not mad. I'm wondering if I should try to hire him..

40e2JVg.jpg

MpBh2UH.jpg

WF4nAbm.jpg

That's how it looks when you're aiming and throwing a flare, if the flare gets caught under/inside terrain. There's a max distance you can toss flares and grenades, and that distance is ruled by your strength stat.
Which means heavies, that train strength by virtue of hauling heavy stuff into combat, will eventually be able to chuck these babies more or less all the way to the end of the map.

uDlPcUa.jpg

We managed to finish the night mission without losses.

HXEYoLQ.jpg

And by this time I had checked back into the thread and noticed that Nagy wanted to be called Andnjord. Welcome aboard sailor!

fnwOKLA.jpg

More UFOs to shoot at.

9Z2UTTQ.jpg

EUvC5lo.jpg

I really need to also research that high-speed interceptor. But all of the research avenues are useful, so I try to spread my scientists around, to finish more projects at the same time.

becpLuh.jpg

Another mission, another medal. I don't remember, maybe all the medals simply boost bravery?

Uh7uWVl.jpg

Anyhow, this is our first tank. It has loads more armour than our troops, but it'll take the spot of two of them. And it cannot earn xp.
I'll build one of these, but I don't know when, or even if, I'll use it. More powerful vehicles/tanks will eventually become available.

lZ6ojjJ.jpg

It does come with the option of 8 missiles, which I kinda like though.

S45Pz1y.jpg

Takes a long time to build. Not a fan of that.

FPpFar2.jpg

FHRn0fK.jpg

In research matters, I decide to go for the Caesan analysis, as that will afford me a damage boost against them. That's always nice.

TEBkY4L.jpg

Research options almost exhausted. This surprises me. Seems the research tree is not that large.

IAJVVQS.jpg

Now we got 8 suits of armour. I can still very likely lose troops, but that will mostly be due to my carelessness and near-idiocy in some instances.

vKhAsry.jpg

Alien alloy research doesn't immediately unlock new avenues. I need other leads before that.

bozCCuS.jpg

Uh-oh. The US and the Australians aren't happy with all the UFOs flying uncontested in their airspace..

37cVnF9.jpg

L17SkwJ.jpg

A new month meant more cash, so I immediately plop down two new bases. I thought about maybe adding a third over russia or south america, but then reconsidered. That's for next month.

y1m5Zqq.jpg

Hey, what do you know? Even with armour, I'll still fumble badly enough that another soldier lands at 1 hp. This one even with bleeding wounds. So I whipped out his medikit and had him patch himself up.
We'd just hired him too. A job with the Xenonauts is dangerous.

23Lykci.jpg

Or maybe I just did it for the medal. Who can tell?

oTomseB.jpg

JJeULwf.jpg

Anyways, now we got an actual tank. Or rather, scout car, that we can bring on missions. But what's even better is the next research project that we finished.

z0xERKz.jpg

Yep, our first advanced interceptor. This one is much faster and has better range. What it does not have though, is a cannon. So once it has fired its two missiles, this one is just bait.

lilL0m8.jpg

And it's just in time for a new type of UFO!
Maybe this UFO will carry new troop types. I need to capture a leader to advance the plot and our research options.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
The funny thing about the first personal armour you get here or in X-COM is that it always feels like placebo to me. Dudes still drop like flies when shot at, but it suddenly makes you feel much more confident :lol:

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Sign me up as Sebo, heavy weapons if you please. The best defense is being really, really far away from the enemies, in my experience.

I look forward to seeing the scout car get obliterated by weapons that should be far too weak to really hurt it. Xenonauts RNG is a wild ride.
Which means heavies, that train strength by virtue of hauling heavy stuff into combat, will eventually be able to chuck these babies more or less all the way to the end of the map.
IIRC, the way strength gain works is you get a point of xp for having your loadout be 85% of your cap or more, and walking at least 20 tiles. I remember doing a lot of tedious micromanagement with equipment and making people walk when it served no tactical purpose to get those stat gains. Even units with light weapons need the strength later when armour gets heavier.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
So I got some more playtime in, and in this post the first codexer dies!

Yes. Why? Because I am stupid, that's why.

MF6kgIM.jpg

We're going against one of the larger scout UFOs, manned by Caesans. These buggers have a psionic attack, so I better play it smart.

Q2q52BP.jpg

I deploy a smoke screen. It works wonders!

cc0ZkrZ.jpg

It doesn't stop psionics though. The attack didn't seem to do much, but it's still somewhat unnerving to see that animation.

HATTA13.jpg

Once we open the doors to the UFO, I spot a purple shirted bugger up in the right corner! I'm excited, as I think this might be an officer.
Turns out its not, and I'm dumb.

KGe8rpN.jpg

I'm not so dumb that I don't lay down suppression, though.

t0GAljM.jpg

And I remember to close the door before the alien turn too. So far so good.

ROayyVR.jpg

On the next turn, I actually manage to knock the purple-shirt unconscious! And here's where I move into the UFO with live aliens still inside...

KIbfvT4.jpg

Yeah. That was stupid. :salute: Jaedar. You died because of my stupidity.
We can either let your death stand as a monument to my failure as a leader, or we could let you nab a successor if you'd like.
You can see in this results screen, that the purple shirted alien was a Caesan psion, and he was just murdered after the battle. So all that was for nothing.

cCFSYyT.jpg

TCt9wJz.jpg

Or not quite nothing. I did take the UFO, and that gave us Alenium. Which is nice. Need a lot of that for later projects.

79C6dQx.jpg

Worst part? Jaedar could've had extra protection if I'd just kitted him out properly.
We DO have shields. I just needed to find the right submenu.
So... Assault troops now sport a shield and a pistol. Oh, and some C4 just to round it out.

XE0wnn7.jpg

And I decide that Andnjord should be a rocketeer. Mhmm. Explosives...

rD8D9JD.jpg

Our new loadout. Three assault troops, all with shields. Two heavies, one with an MG, one with a rocket launcher. Then three snipers.

0GBzaAN.jpg

V0n7x7b.jpg

HgDevH9.jpg

Hehehe.. First a rocket to remove obstacles, then sniper rounds to the face. Hello and goodbye mister Sebillian.

XHV1eBf.jpg

Turns out it takes 35 timeunits to reload the rocket launcher. Guess it's one shot per two rounds at max then.

B5aSsrj.jpg

Still. Rockets are free, so I better use them all, right?

48vbGIT.jpg

Much better. Although I also didn't try to capture anyone here.
Notice how everyone trained their strength too.

wlmzq90.jpg

jS03byj.jpg

OOfVp4F.jpg

Back at the base, I finished our first Foxtrot jet. It can equip torpedos. These will be necessary to bring down the larger crafts.
I ought to build way more of these, but I'm currently strapped for cash, and larger UFOs have yet to show.

G4FtQT7.jpg

Info on the larger scout I just cleared two of.

PqVQ89Y.jpg

And then stun weapons research finishes. Oh yes. That will definitely make capturing aliens a lot easier!

zwb7p7f.jpg

xVhywUs.jpg

GCRYPRU.jpg

Everyone is issued stun gas grenades. Our rocketeer gets stun rockets. And our assaults get stun batons as a secondary weapon.

KVKh2vy.jpg

esMN6rq.jpg

Another piece of research finished. Nothing groundbreaking unlocked yet.

1geq6M3.jpg

x5E2wr7.jpg

ex8wERL.jpg

So our two new bases come online. They're very barebones as of yet. I slap down a couple of hangars, those are cheap at 25k a pop. The radar array though? Not cheap. So I can only build one. That's unsatisfying.
I really do think I'm overreaching here. On the other hand, if I can get flights of interceptors to the other parts of the world, I'll get more UFOs downed, and even if I can't do all the ground missions, the rep bonus is really good, and I can always airstrike. So I'll try to bee-line for getting these bases proper up and running.
I will have to build defenses as well. Just.. Cash. You know.

Cky2hbj.jpg

A new type of UFO is showing. These are fighters. They're annoying.

NcZy3nA.jpg

autTUZI.jpg

ifLqTRl.jpg

Darth Roxor more or less wrote that I had to "git gud", so I engage in some roly-poly and down this fighter without any damage. Lots of fuel spent though.

i23lW9p.jpg

You get a small amount of alien alloys from the fighter type crafts. You can never have too much alien alloys or alenium.

lutpG5L.jpg

Speaking of, we finish the research on the latter.

dXMIW5r.jpg

Which opens up new research avenues.

2uvNpS9.jpg

I really want the explosives first though. It's a free upgrade and will improve our explosives substantially.

5gDGAuU.jpg

Here's the Xenopedia entry for the fighter. They ARE dangerous. And they can dodge missiles. Just like our interceptors.

d684Hgl.jpg

Hangars are quick to build. So I kinda wish I'd opted for radars first in both bases, then hangars. But hey, a decade since I last played, remember?

pCm1jQT.jpg

NCgf0l0.jpg

RJpKeFJ.jpg

Yesss.. I like the bigger booms. Our ordinary fragmentation grenades also get a free upgrade, you can see them in the screenshot as well. I haven't noted what the base explosives do in damage, so I can't say exactly how much more bang for the buck we got here, but it's incremental increases every time you research a new type of explosive.
And here's where I'll stop this update.

Nope. I forgot something.
glKXfTr.jpg

I forgot to show you Strange Fellow.

And since I forgot him..
1uLRmRQ.jpg

Why not make sure to include Damned Registrations as well? I'm thinking about dropping the machinegun and go with another rocketeer, at least until we get better machineguns.

Any preferences, Damned Registrations ?

Last edited:

Luka-boy

Arcane
My job is so dangerous I'm not even awarded a Purple Crimson Heart for getting hurt because it's par for the course or what, you stingy bastards?
:rpgcodex:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
My job is so dangerous I'm not even awarded a Purple Crimson Heart for getting hurt because it's par for the course or what, you stingy bastards?
:rpgcodex:

Mr Luka, medals are for the management, all you get is a t-shirt and a cardboard shield as you rush towards the aliens.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Playing the original Xenonauts really makes me appreciate the Xenonauts 2 Early Access that I can also play. There are many things they've done right in the second game, and which I now miss from the first.

That's a story for another time though. I'm at work and really shouldn't be typing up stuff at the 'dex.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I'd wish. Sole breadwinner. But can't complain. I make more in one year than most Danes make in three. Doesn't mean I wouldn't rather be at home, gaming and typing up shit though.

Last edited:

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Any preferences, @Damned Registrations ?
I'm partial to having a machinegunner myself, for making smaller holes in walls to use as chokepoints, or suppress targets. I think they can be used for overwatch as well, unlike in XPiratez? But rocket spam is always a good option too, especially if you don't mind blowing up a few civillians to clear out buildings that would be dangerous to enter.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
What are civilians if not mere meatshields?

I'm not set on either. Then again, I do have two designated heavies, so I think I might stick with one rocketeer, and one machinegunner.

Andnjord

Arcane
I am absolutely certain that being able to only shoot once per two rounds will eventually leave me with an unloaded weapon just as a sebelian is about to charge me but it is worth it for the glory of Codexia.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
You could have a point.

But aside from that, let's take a look at how the game is progressing, shall we?

lKVqsx7.jpg

Explosives are fun! They can make the aliens splatter into goo!
Unfortunately, that also wrecks whatever equipment might otherwise be plundered. But hey, sometimes you just get the urge to blow shit up with grenades and rockets, loot be damned.

Ep1PXvm.jpg

Showcasing the area of effect on the rocket launcher stun gas. Pretty nice, eh?

M6132cL.jpg

Stun gas leaves behind a lingering purple cloud. If you step into that cloud without any kind of protection, your own troops might also fall unconscious..

RFo9SPQ.jpg

Lucky for us, it's not fatal. Also shown is another medal. Congrats people!

lVLBV9G.jpg

More shit shot down. Some interceptors can manage threats on their own. That said, it is almost always a good idea to send your interceptors out in groups of three.
If an interceptor is shot down, it is not lost, but it will be unable to fly until it is repaired.

k5sjUvq.jpg

It seems that some of these medals have different tiers. Adding even more bravery for higher tiers. Makes having surviving troops even more valuable.

zBV3xUL.jpg

Finally got enough cash for a radar in Australia as well. I'm not sure if I'll have the interceptors to send there by then.

xT7pHCB.jpg

Research on the alien weaponry is progressing. Xenopedia page for plasma tech.

deyDogV.jpg

I allocate a lot of scientists to this project. We want better pew-pew fast. Tougher enemies will appear soon.

ED7FtsU.jpg

Another milk run. I make sure every soldier is overloaded, or close to, so we can keep on training that strength stat.
The other stats raise more organically, as I'm not deliberately farming them.

yX9RkHS.jpg

qPs1nFl.jpg

The radar comes online in the US. So we relocate a couple of interceptors.

0Tm72VU.jpg

You'l basically never really run out of alien alloys, but you can and will be short on cash and Alenium.

s5ulJ7T.jpg

Yass, better armour in the pipeline.

xHQXE5h.jpg

Here's a mission where the civilians were definitely just meat shields. Maybe I ought to feel remorse, but I really don't.
A shame one of the civilians fell to friendly fire. Damned Registrations went full auto, and the civilian shouldn't have been in the field of fire. But I guess he was.

72l1s7z.jpg

uHbEFTK.jpg

bqCfuOR.jpg

It was at this point I noticed, that the people at our base had a different look now that the plasma research was finished. That's a nice touch.

lVToeqp.jpg

Better pew-pew. No laser shotgun though. But a laser carbine. They fill the same niche I guess. IIRC they use two hands, so I opt for laser pistols for our assault troops.

30CRNfC.jpg

Need to finish another piece of research before I get laser MGs.

ItHuRYq.jpg

When you unlock new weapons, you have to build each individual weapon. No such need for ammo.
This is another money-sink. I just start off with a couple of pistols, as what I really need is more of the advanced interceptors (Foxtrot).

rdFiF0R.jpg

RHn6Umd.jpg

Comparison of the two pistol types.
The laser does 50% more damage, holds fewer rounds though.

At about this time a new type of UFO shows up.
cQLhLq5.jpg

6etjhLK.jpg

I manage to take it down, but I do take damage to my Condor interceptor. If I'd had two Foxtrot, I believe I could've taken it down without suffering damage myself. Or maybe a second Condor to attack from behind. This is where sending two Condors to the US messed me up a bit.

4ZeM6OC.jpg

This size of UFO has an officer though! Much excitement.

2XJc26k.jpg

And a new type of enemy. I shoot it with a rocket and finish it off with one of my newly built laser pistols.

QnGBwQD.jpg

Full view of this medium sized UFO.

In another part of the map, I find myself near a wall where I can't progress without exposing myself to possible attack. So I decide to use some C4
RiySYDK.jpg

First you arm it.

yy1Yu65.jpg

Then you throw it.

oJAWgLw.jpg

Then you miss your intended target and reposition.

zAFe687.jpg

And look! There was another Caesan on the other side of the wall! He decided to peek around the wall, shooting at us (lucky he missed) and evading the blast altogether.

Not to be deterred, I finally group up and enter the UFO.
W7fF9NE.jpg

That guy has a helmet. That means two things; immunity to gas and that he's an officer.

IE9ztRz.jpg

First he eats a flash-bang, so he's suppressed.

3rFmZOs.jpg

v1gXNdg.jpg

Then Strange Fellow is designated prober, having lost his shield and equipped a stun baton instead.
Look at the stun numbers. The flash-bang did 15 stun damage. The baton did 90..
Easy capture.

XQ6ucT1.jpg

That's a nice screen! Looks promising indeed.

vfpspH1.jpg

WvgOj5y.jpg

5AJ2IQp.jpg

59vBAKd.jpg

Yep. Promising indeed.
Anyone want to voice in on what research I should prioritise?

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Damn, you're making me want to play this again. Not sure if I ever finished it, actually.
I tried to get a TFtD playthrough going late last year but it didn't take - I just can't like that game, no matter how many times I try, whereas for all its lack of ambition Xenonauts is a really fun time.

:what:

Are you suggesting I should trust my fellow codexers?
When have I ever failed to have your back, mon ami.

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
It was at this point I noticed, that the people at our base had a different look now that the plasma research was finished. That's a nice touch.

It was one of my favourite little details about xenoderps.

Anyone want to voice in on what research I should prioritise?

Elektrojix, obviously. We need better smartphones to browse alien tiktok.

Andnjord

Arcane
Damn, you're making me want to play this again. Not sure if I ever finished it, actually.
I tried to get a TFtD playthrough going late last year but it didn't take - I just can't like that game, no matter how many times I try, whereas for all its lack of ambition Xenonauts is a really fun time.

:what:

Are you suggesting I should trust my fellow codexers?
When have I ever failed to have your back, mon ami.
That was with Valevelkal, I don’t know if I can trust you with Azira. I’m afraid he might be a bad influence on you!

ValeVelKal

Arcane
I am in. Give me the first guy available. I will survive. This isn’t a joke. You always hear about those 1 in a million odds where people drive off a cliff and had 0.0000001% chance to survive but they miraculously did. Well I feel like I’m that guy. There’s no real stats to back this up, I just know I’ve always been built different. The frag grenade will send shrapnels in all directions, except mine. The reaper will hesitate for a split second and I will off him with my laser rifle. Or I escape just in time to the dropship and evacuate quickly. I will survive.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Yeah. That was stupid. :salute: Jaedar. You died because of my stupidity.
We can either let your death stand as a monument to my failure as a leader, or we could let you nab a successor if you'd like.
At least I died doing what I love: reckless charging into the jaws of danger.

Jaedarsson or Jaedarsdottir can appear to avenge their fathers death when there's a free slot in the roster.

Electronics for better interceptors, obviously.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom