Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Yet Another Morrowind Thread

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Stumbled upon this custom music made for Morrowind, available as a mod adding to the game's music list. Thoughts? I don't think it quite fits Morrowind's composition, but it's better than I thought it'd be.

idk about this one, doesn't really catch the Morrowind vibe.

This Tamriel Rebuilt theme fits the Morrowind vibe much better:

Fargus

Arcane
a successor to LGNPC is being made, it will have dialogue choices like the mod I did for Morag Tong

Whats the name of it?

And Morag Tong mod also.

The series is called Better Dialogue Choices. Enclavekiller1 is doing it, but only Seyda Neen is finished. Inspired by mine and Caeris' mod we did for Hlaalu.

https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/51133

The original proof of concept mod

https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/45208

Morag Tong one

https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/47041

Our mods for hlaalu/morag tong have skillchecks in dialogue (see pictures), BDC doesn't have them I think. But the idea generally was that Morrowind lacks dialogue choices. Ideally the whole game should be redone like this but its a huge piece of work

Morag Tong Polished also does a lot of other things, proud of that one cuz we really researched lore a lot and added stuff like bonuses for completing writs undetected (which was supposed to be there in vanilla) and added Gray Writs mentioned in game dialogue (like Larrius Varro's dirty quest)

Morag Tong mod looks like mega incline. If i liked stealth in Morrowind i would have installed it already. Probably will do it anyway at some point.

Skill checks in dialogue remind me of an old russian quest and overhaul mod called AR_mod that also had something similar. Unfortunately very dated now. One of the other things i found interesting about it was the removal of trainers abuse. Trainers had their own quests that increased your skill to certain amount but you had to rely on practical skill gain otherwise.

Caim

Arcane
Morag Tong is the "oi mate you have a loicense for that murder" faction, which is hilarious.

Tel Velothi

Cipher
I'm gonna install vanilla Morrowind + Tamriel Rebuilt in hopes to reignite a spark of enjoying games (Morrowind is my favorite and played it to death) that once I had when I was younger. I'm really excited, but afraid I'm gonna drop it after 20 mins or so -.-

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Thinking about a new modlist, based around fuzzo, Necrolesian, RandomPal and Lucevar's modlists

Modded vanilla w/ OAAB and TR datasets, built around BCOM

The idea is that I will curb modding to a minimum. Using 1-3 lightweight/Lua mods for each aspect of the game

Towns
BCOM + MwGek's stuff

NPCs
YaGD + Weapon Sheating + Vanilla Wearable Expansion

Transport
Sloadic Transports

Music
MUSE / MUSE 2

Sound
CSO + AURA + Kirel's (Hrnchamd's patch)

Interface
UI Expansion + addons + Oblivion Style Interface

Textures
Facelift or Familiar Faces + MET

Meshes
MOP + Atlas + MOP MET patch

Bodies
vanilla

Immersion
1st Person Enhanced + DoF shader + Something's Not Right + Shattered Stones

(great combo)

Economy
Harder Barter

Leveling
Retroactive Health + either MULE or CCCP

Balance
OJ's Deleveler + Mort's balance mods + One of a Kind

Bloodmoon
TotSP + Remiros' grass + Stone Halls of Solstheim

Tribunal
Immersive Mournhold + Mountains of Mournhold

Itemisation
vanilla

Chargen
RaMF + Expanded Birthsigns for Purists + Useful Starting Spells

Creatures
Know Thy Enemy

Grass
Remiros' Grass

Trees
vanilla + Remiros' AI + MD's WG

Weather
Watch the Skies + Vapormist + Mystify + Weather Adjuster (WA can fix the white mountains)

Lighting
LTBD + Light Decay + GitD + maybe ILfAS

Flavor
RP's Fireflies + Cave Drips + Flies + Store Entrance Chimes

Alchemy
BTB's Game Improvements

Gameplay

General

No Combat Menu + Pursuit Enhanced + Lucky Strike

Stealth
Stealth Improved + Pickpocketing

Ranged
N'wah Shooter (part of 4NM Overhaul)

Melee
PvP + maybe ShieldsUp (part of 4NM Overhaul)

Spells
Bomberman

Realism
Tired and Hungry or Find Shelter MWSE + A Sinking Feeling + Worth its Weight (or abot's gold weight mod)

Dungeons

Caves

Lougian + SVNR's

Daedric
SVNR's

Dwemer
Dwemer Rebirth Project

Tombs
Remiros

Velothi towers
Remiros

Shipwrecks
OAAB Shipwrecks

Grottos
Locked Bandit Caves and Tombs

Red Mountain
probably RMR

Animation

Player - Djok's sneak animation + Dirnae's one handed running animation + Almalexia's spellcasting animation (merged with LizTail's AnimKit) + 1st Person Enhanced
Monsters - FixHound + Silt Strider Animation Restored
Static - Swayland + Animated Hammocks + Improved Kwama Eggs + R-Zero's Throbbing Meat

Guilds (Caeris, Gavrilo and Lucevar)

Imperial Cult - Religions Elaborated by Caeris
Temple - Religions Elaborated by Caeris
Imperial Legion - Imperial Legion Expansion by Gavrilo
Thieves Guild - What Thieves Guild?
Morag Tong - Morag Tong Polished by Caeris
House Hlaalu - RP Choices for House Hlaalu by Caeris
Fighters Guild - Balmora Guilds Expanded by Lucevar
Mages Guild - Balmora Guilds Expanded by Lucevar
House Redoran - LGNPC Pax Redoran
Temple - Improved Temple Experience

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm gonna install vanilla Morrowind + Tamriel Rebuilt in hopes to reignite a spark of enjoying games (Morrowind is my favorite and played it to death) that once I had when I was younger. I'm really excited, but afraid I'm gonna drop it after 20 mins or so -.-
The part of Skyrim they've done is really good. Several dungeons, a major city with a bunch of quests, and the landscape and architecture are Skyrim as it should have been (no traces of TES5's blandness at all).

Install that, level up to around level 5 or 10, travel there, enjoy.

thesecret1

Arcane
Are there any mods that improve combat to be more dynamic, and make progression more difficult?

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Of course, there are mods for everything

COMPLETE OVERHAULS (not recommended)

4NM Combat
Next Generation Combat
Combat Enhanced Lua
Better Balanced Combat

INDIVIDUAL MODS

Brutal Backstabbing
Realistic Archery
Defensive Stance
MM - Cast on Swing Enchantments
High Ground
ShieldsUp
Pacifist
The Iron Fist
Bonk
Lucky Strike
Faster Projectiles
PvP
Bombadier
Nwah Shooter

There are more I forgot. I use the bolded ones. They make a huge difference. Bombadier even adds physics.

thesecret1

Arcane
Awesome, thanks! What about the progression ones, though? I'm always swimming in money, meaning I get super strong super fast via trainers (something the game further urges me to do since it's the easiest way to max your attributes). Economy could use a fix too, for that matter...

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Awesome, thanks! What about the progression ones, though? I'm always swimming in money, meaning I get super strong super fast via trainers (something the game further urges me to do since it's the easiest way to max your attributes). Economy could use a fix too, for that matter...

Harder Barter + Anti Cheese for economy

Retroactive Health + either MULE or CCCP for leveling

OJ's Deleveler + Mort's balance mods + One of a Kind for balance

Puukko

Arcane
I'm trying out Path of the Incarnate, an OpenMW list that's currently offline for changes. I'm digging it for the most part but it has some odd additions where I don't think the list author thought things through, and the modders themselves couldn't tell immersion if it blasted church bells at their face.

All of these can be gracefully disabled by removing the audio files without disabling the mods themselves which is good, because plucking out mods from a premade list makes me feel like I'm playing modding jenga.

- church bells in Balmora
- throat singing in temples
- Daggerfall music in churches

Take a moment to think how you'd implement church bells in a city if you were a modder. Distant ringing maybe once an hour that blends in with the ambient city sounds? Try loud ass non stop blasting in one spot near the guilds that'll be a nasty surprise while you're walking about on business.

Throat singing is a pretty similar case, it just makes me want to leave the building asap because I can't imagine concentrating in this environment. It's just a loud loop. I don't mind throat singing at all and in Skyrim I really like the vocal sections added by some mods, but those are proper songs that much more gracefully blend together.

Daggerfall music is great, but it just doesn't fit Morrowind at all. The quality is noticeably worse and whenever I enter a guild I immediately pay attention to the fact the music is wrong.

As for the big one, it's this leveling mod:

https://modding-openmw.gitlab.io/ncgdmw-lua/faq/

Automatic level up with optional stat decay that's enabled by default. Quite possibly the two worst ideas I can think of when I think of RPG progression. I don't know if the idea is to alleviate the skill minmaxing for optimal levels, but now it all just feels out of the player's control. Leveled up some skill too much and now you're going to raise the wrong attribute because of it? Previously you could manually try to fix that on level up - here you're SoL. Doesn't help the level up tracker doesn't work. The FAQ says there's a second one behind some menu, I'll have to check later.

I am sure there are genres where weakening the character over time if you neglect to train is a valid way to slow down progression. Not in an RPG, where you're slowly raising those numbers and each stat up is a small ordeal. Is this something that appeals to people on their nth playthrough looking for anything to mix it up?

As a cherry on top (I don't know if the above mod is responsible for this), there is some degree of attribute randomization after character creation. Some went up or down by a few points, but I think my agility went from 65 all the way down to 42. Luckily while fixing my character's appearance immediately afterwards via console, it incidentally reset it to level 1, which fixed the attributes to be what they were during creation, until gaining even a bit of experience immediately boosted me to level 3. So I don't know if this was some sort of an adjustment for the purpose of how attributes and skills affect each other but still, what a shitshow out of the box. The stats you planned out don't match; they'll decay over time; and you have less control over level ups when they occur. Does the author hate predictability and ease of planning? I'm the furthest from a min maxing power leveler and this whole process had me just perplexed by the logic at every turn as I pieced together how the system worked.

Dr1f7

Scholar
I'm trying out Path of the Incarnate, an OpenMW list that's currently offline for changes. I'm digging it for the most part but it has some odd additions where I don't think the list author thought things through, and the modders themselves couldn't tell immersion if it blasted church bells at their face.
my mod's in there, try it and tell me what u think (idk how it works with all the other mods in this thing)
read the note on the door in caius' house

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Take a moment to think how you'd implement church bells in a city if you were a modder. Distant ringing maybe once an hour that blends in with the ambient city sounds? Try loud ass non stop blasting in one spot near the guilds that'll be a nasty surprise while you're walking about on business.
The whole concept of church bells in Morrowind just seems strange to me, religions in the game are not the same as religions in real life, church bells just sound goofy. Discounting that, aren't Morrowind hours one minute in real life? It'd be better that way, but still annoying.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
The whole concept of church bells in Morrowind just seems strange to me, religions in the game are not the same as religions in real life, church bells just sound goofy. Discounting that, aren't Morrowind hours one minute in real life? It'd be better that way, but still annoying.
The Tribunal and Church Bells?
What the fuck.
They just don't blend.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
The default timescale in Morrowind is 1:30, although this can be modified with the "set timescale to x" command via the in-game console.

The Tribunal and Church Bells?
What the fuck.
They just don't blend.
Yes, bells in Morrowind are associated with the Sixth House:

nTPzUbk.jpg

Puukko

Arcane
In any case, I'm finally really getting into this game again after several aborted playthroughs over the years. I haven't even gone through all the mod content that's included aside from Skyrim and TR, but I'll be sure to do a hefty chunk of that as well. Not in a hurry to get anywhere though.

It's quite funny how quickly my power level got out of control though. Decided to take a break from guild busywork for a bit and do some exploration in the west gash region with all the daedric ruins. First some sets of orc gear, then a daedric mace and some glass bracers and boots. Some 50k gold converted into levels, I jumped about 10 levels in a few hours. Still hard capped by my magicka pool though, and I haven't enchanted a single item yet. I'm of the mindset that enchanting and alchemy are best ignored in the early game. Focusing on stockpiling resources first.

Last edited:

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
I always wondered how did designer who meticulously put grand soul gems in obscure shipwrecks, tel fyr, vivec quest, etc. Felt about designer who put them into leveling lists and are they one person or not

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I always wondered how did designer who meticulously put grand soul gems in obscure shipwrecks, tel fyr, vivec quest, etc. Felt about designer who put them into leveling lists and are they one person or not
Yeah...
I found a ton of grand souls gems in smuggler caves and the like when I was high level.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Enter tomb
Kill 3 rats
Open door, kill golden saint with daeric katana
Open final door, claim treasure: chitin gauntlet (left) and hakle ho leaf

Sorry frog poster lists or not still bad

What i don't understand why didn't they use it tad more. Like, you can create tomb raider leveled list so more variety than daedra and bonelords. Or vampire leveled list. Also list for sixth house spawning around cities instead of golden saints would be a lot more narratively consistent

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom