Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Your favorite RPG megaseries

Your favorite RPG megaseries

• Might & Magic

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Ultima

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wizardry

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Other (jfag option)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

made

Arcane
I don't think we've had one of these yet. The mammoth, decade-spanning RPG series of old - which is better and why? Arbitrary req of at least 8 games so TES has to stay the fuck out.

My obvious pick is Ultima. 4, 5, 6, and 7 are milestones of the genre and are all excellent games in their own right. Even the various spinoffs and action/jump'n'runs (UW, U8) are worth playing. M&M and Wizardry pale in comparison.

What about you, bros? Let us settle this pressing matter once and for all.

Nael

Arcane
Might and Magic. I only have a Wizardry avatar because I am Cleve's alt

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Fuck. That was HARD. It is totally impossible to pick only one out of the CRPG Holy Trinity. Ended up going with Might and Magic, but it was a close call. I think the reason I would still pick M&M is because it strikes the best balance. Ultima is great if you're a storyfag though it has some good exploration, Wizardry is great if you're a combatfag/mondblutian and it has great dungeon crawling (hell that's all the original trilogy has), but Might and Magic is great for explorationfags coupled with some excellent dungeon crawling, even if the combat system isn't as complex as Wizardry's. All in all each one does great at its particular aim though. They're like the 3 different aspects of RPG's mixed together in varying proportions. And they're all awsome. Wizardry does have one thing going for it: it's the only one that ended on a high note.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I had to vote Wizardry also since it was my first CRPG. In fact it and the first Castle Wolfenstein were the first two computer games I owned on our new Apple II+ back in 1981 I think?

What great stuff back then. We invented our own spell called TESER in case of a party wipe (there was no saving your game back then) and once when we encountered a bug my Dad actually called and talked to Greenberg himself about it.

Trojan_generic

Magister
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Fallout.

OK, Wizardry was the only one where the last or second last part didn't suck, so I had to vote... Ultima.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Sceptic said:
Ultima is great if you're a storyfag though it has some good exploration, Wizardry is great if you're a combatfag/mondblutian and it has great dungeon crawling (hell that's all the original trilogy has), but Might and Magic is great for explorationfags coupled with some excellent dungeon crawling, even if the combat system isn't as complex as Wizardry's.

This is why I picked M&M too.

Also World of Xeen just has awesome graphics :pixelwhore:

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Only Might and Magic. Perfect balance of exploration, progression, character development...they are just a really enjoyable series of games that almost never feel like a slog.. Only MM1 at the start was a real tough grind that felt more like something to be endured and of course the unfinished(unstarted?)MM9.

Wizardry might be more hard core but I never really enjoyed it all that much. Same with Ultimas. I never finshed any Wiz or Ultima games, but have been through most Might and Magic games.

(posted here as well as this poll seems common these days)

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
commie said:
unfinished(unstarted?)MM9.
:lol:

Wizardry might be more hard core but I never really enjoyed it all that much. Same with Ultimas.
The nice thing about each series focusing on a different element was that you could pick which one to play depending on your mood. I love all 3 series, but when I'm in the mood for exploring a huge overworld I don't play Wizardry, and when I'm in the mood for deep tactical combat I don't play Ultima... you get the idea. Wizardry's definitely more hardcore, but I'd rate Ultima as the least hardcore of the three (obligatory note-taking aside).

(posted here as well as this poll seems common these days)
Other one's a necro. It does show you that Codex never (fundamentally) changes.

made said:
Arbitrary req of at least 8 games so TES has to stay the fuck out.

The Elder Scrolls release timeline
2011 The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
2007 The Elder Scrolls IV: Shivering Isles
2006 The Elder Scrolls IV: Knights of the Nine
2006 The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
2004 The Elder Scrolls Travels: Shadowkey
2004 The Elder Scrolls Travels: Dawnstar
2003 The Elder Scrolls Travels: Stormhold
2003 The Elder Scrolls III: Bloodmoon
2002 The Elder Scrolls III: Tribunal
2002 The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
1998 The Elder Scrolls Adventures: Redguard
1997 An Elder Scrolls Legend: Battlespire
1996 The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall
1994 The Elder Scrolls: Arena

tee hee

Nael

Arcane
Clockwork Knight said:
made said:
Arbitrary req of at least 8 games so TES has to stay the fuck out.

The Elder Scrolls release timeline
2011 The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
2007 The Elder Scrolls IV: Shivering Isles
2006 The Elder Scrolls IV: Knights of the Nine
2006 The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
2004 The Elder Scrolls Travels: Shadowkey
2004 The Elder Scrolls Travels: Dawnstar
2003 The Elder Scrolls Travels: Stormhold
2003 The Elder Scrolls III: Bloodmoon
2002 The Elder Scrolls III: Tribunal
2002 The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
1998 The Elder Scrolls Adventures: Redguard
1997 An Elder Scrolls Legend: Battlespire
1996 The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall
1994 The Elder Scrolls: Arena

tee hee

:Whereishorsearmoramirite:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom