Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

My NV impressions

hiver

I wanted to know does taking multiple stimpacks increases the length of healing too, since Vince says it doesnt in his impressions posted over at IT forums.
Or if it increases the duration - it increases it very slightly.

Still, it seems you can shoot up several stimpacks at once thus gaining in effect regenerating health for a period of time, right?
The more you take at once the faster you heal while the effect lasts, right?

hoochimama

Liturgist
Edit: actually I've been testing it and the stimpak effect does seem to last longer when you take a lot at the same time, about 9 seconds when you take 2 stims, 15 when you take 3. But your total hp healed is still what you'd get from individually using each hp+8(6s) stimpak.

What's the difference though? So far most gunfights lasted less than 10 secs(outside vats), you won't be able to beat impossible odds thanks to stims, unlike fo3.

random_encounter said:
hiver said:
Does prolonged thirst affect your stats negatively?
And can you quelch it with whiskey? :P
Or other booze. or only hunger has that effect on stats?
Yes to all three. Wine also quenches your thirst along with whiskey and they will affect stats (-1 INT for wine, I believe)

No, booze increases your thirst.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
hoochimama said:
Lots of skillchecks in general, but they're hard skill checks and the ones I've seen so far you can retry those checks whenever you want, this encourages the powergamer in me to hang onto those magical pants of +5 bartering in case I'm a few points short of a skill check. Skill magazines seem to follow the same idea.

By the time you get to Vegas there start to be skill checks you can't retry, which I guess is sorta good, but sorta so I have to be psychic to guess when I need to use these stupid magazines?

hiver

hm, ok. thanks.
then it works in some manner at least as a deterrent. good.

I suppose it would be too much to hope there is less stimpacks in the game as previous poster mentioned?

How often can you find doctor bags and hydra stimpacks that also heal crippled limbs?
And is there any limit on using those dependent on medical skills?

Suchy

Arcane
The bitch doesn't start. Crashes on the very startup, with standard Windows error.
Any ideas?
WixXP, GTX280, latest drivers.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
So, is this different enough from Fallout 3 that I won't hate playing it? Also, what's this about a save bug?

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Not removed it from inventory.

Being forced to only see one stat at a time when assigning the SPECIAL points is fucking enraging me. Fuck their jizzotron or whatever the fuck that machine is called, it's fucking retarded and for their failure to fix this from Fallout 3 I shouldn't even bother anymore with this game.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
FeelTheRads said:
Not removed it from inventory.

Being forced to only see one stat at a time when assigning the SPECIAL points is fucking enraging me. Fuck their jizzotron or whatever the fuck that machine is called, it's fucking retarded and for their failure to fix this from Fallout 3 I shouldn't even bother anymore with this game.

Hint: click the arrow pointing right 7 times to get an adjustable list of all stats.

But if you were outsmarted by something as dumb already at the start, perhaps you really should not bother with it anymore.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Very smart, except in that screen there are no descriptions of the stats and I can't quickly get to one of them to see it without waiting about a second for each arrow press, now can I?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
And I suspect you haven't played any single Fallout game before to know what stuff like 'strength' does, right? :retarded:

hiver said:
How often can you find doctor bags and hydra stimpacks that also heal crippled limbs?
And is there any limit on using those dependent on medical skills?

I'm level 7 and I only had one Hydra so far. Doctor bags are more frequent but I wouldn't say I have lots of them. Also, limbs after being healed by doctor bags stay fragile. Maybe a bigger medicine skill would affect that, I'm not sure.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
FeelTheRads said:
Very smart, except in that screen there are no descriptions of the stats and I can't quickly get to one of them to see it without waiting about a second for each arrow press, now can I?
Well Strength refers to lifting capacity and ability to correctly use tanks. See Project A-ko.
Throw them at your opponent.

I'd guess you'd be able to decipher rest of stats without additional hints.

racofer

Thread Incliner
  • Fallout: NV is melting GPUs due to Engine Issues.

Fallout 3 : New Vegas has been one of the most anticipated games in the last year and now that it’s here and upon us something was bound to happen. Has Fallout 3: New Vegas melted your machine yet? Obsidian has officially admitted that it’s a known issue and that a fix is "a work in progress".

Fallout 3: New Vegas VATS screens aren’t framerate-limited, which means that when you're carefully planning your tactics, your graphics hardware renders the shit out of those screens, causing some bad overheating problems. Bethesda Softworks PR Manager Pete Hines mentioned the issue was on Obsidian's end and Bethesda, although being the engine developer, had nothing to do with these issues and is redirecting any customer complaints to Obsidian's support forum and localized phone numbers:
    Code:
    REGION      

WEB SITE     PHONE NUMBER
    USA and Canada     n/a     Web Site     n/a
    United Kingdom     E-mail     Web Site     Phone: 0161 827 8060/1*
    France     E-mail     Web Site     Phone: 0825 15 80 80*
    Germany     n/a     Web Site     Phone: 0190 771 882*
    Spain     E-mail     Web Site     Phone: 34 91 747 03 15*
    Italy     E-mail     Web Site     Phone: 02/937671*
    Australia     E-mail     Web Site     Phone: 1 902 26 26 26*
    New Zealand     n/a     Web Site     Phone: 0 900 54263*

This keeps getting better and better! :salute:

Silellak

Cipher

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Darth Roxor said:
And I suspect you haven't played any single Fallout game before to know what stuff like 'strength' does, right? :retarded:

Yeah, hurray for dumbing down... because... because it's not difficult! :thumbsup:

Redshirt #42

Augur
I 'acquired' the game today and played it for about 2-3 hours. I created a character with max. strength, agility, endurance and 1 point in intelligence and charisma, focusing on melee and unarmed combat. Unfortunately, there's no special dialogue for dumb (or ugly) characters so I didn't feel particularly punished for my powergaming choices at the character creation. I also assaulted some random civilians to see how other NPCs in the starting town would react. While I was immediately attacked (and killed) even when I tried to kill their cattle (the Bighorners are the new Brahmins, I guess?) once I managed to slay a bunch of the NPCs and run away, I waited for an hour and came back to the town (where I obviously had a 'Vilified' reputation). But noone seemed to care that a butcher of innocents has returned. I could go to the shop, sell some items to the local shopkeeper and then gut him without any interference. I proceeded to kill everyone in the town (even the doctor who saved my life). I left the robot alive - and he was still as friendly as before.

Also, melee seems only useful when attacking unaware targets. When I tried to chase down one of the Goodsprings Citizens equipped with a rifle, he could back away faster than I could run and shoot at the same time. Luckily, his AI was retarded enough to get eventually stuck on a bunch of rocks and he was of course unable to escape once I started cutting him.

Maybe it gets better later on? I've never played Fallout 3 (so I can't tell how much it improved over that piece of shit) but New Vegas is still somewhat disappointing right now. It hardly seems like a worthy successor to the first two games.

hoochimama

Liturgist
The factions who vilify me shoot me on sight so I have to wear disguises to interact with them.

Could be your game is bugged, more likely it's because you haven't finished the tutorial.

Redshirt #42

Augur
hoochimama said:
Could be your game is bugged, more likely it's because you haven't finished the tutorial.
Well, I naively thought that the tutorial was over after I had clicked on the dialogue option that said '... (Finish the tutorial)'.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom