Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate 3 on it's way?

bat_boro

Arcane
It seems there's finally going to be a new chapter in the epic saga, at least according to the rumors that are circulating the Internet

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=323024

So, is this one of the unanounced Obsidian projects?
As far as I remember Bioware have yet another project in the works, so could it be them instead?

let the speculations begin!

Melcar

Arcane
Even if true, what would they do it on? ToB pretty much tied all loose ends. A prequel sounds lame. An alternate story arc perhaps?

MetalCraze

Arcane
Obsidian won't be doing BG3 - that's for sure. And even if BG3 is going to happen any time soon - it surely won't be a good game - Bioware just renewed their rights to it this year.

bat_boro

Arcane
skyway said:
Obsidian won't be doing BG3 - that's for sure. And even if BG3 is going to happen any time soon - it surely won't be a good game - Bioware just renewed their rights to it this year.

So if what you say is true, then the only one that could make BG 3 is Bioware?

where do you know that, link, please?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
They renewed their license to continue to use the Baldur's Gate 1/2.

They do NOT own the right to Baldur's Gate, Atari owns it now. That was part of the settlement with Interplay vs Atari (IIRC).

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
bat_boro said:
skyway said:

I'm curious where he gets his information too. You seem so SURE skyway - so positive.

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
Anthony Davis said:
bat_boro said:
skyway said:

I'm curious where he gets his information too. You seem so SURE skyway - so positive.
Even Sawyer's "sweet and tyte" Aliens RPG thread wasn't as teasing as this.

elander_

Arbiter
Just let it be dead. That story is over. Create another story in another place of the Forgotten Realms and make it as interesting as the original BG was.

Atari plans to revisit the likes of Baldur's Gate, Dungeons & Dragons, Neverwinter Nights and Test Drive Unlimited, but not in the next 12 months.

Icewind Dale? Temple of Elemental Evil?

The only way I'd play Baldur's Gate is if Obsidian did it. There's something about Bioware's style that just doesn't mesh with me. I hated the original Baldur but loved Icewind Dale despite them being pretty damn similar. Too bad Obsidian is busy working on Bourne RPG and Not Another Aliens Movie.

bat_boro

Arcane
Anthony Davis said:

Heh, dear mister Davis, you as sure as hell made my day today :)
I've already jumped to the right conclusions and if I'm right than that will be sooooo awesome

Hümmelgümpf said:
Even Sawyer's "sweet and tyte" Aliens RPG thread wasn't as teasing as this.

fucking great, isn't it? :Obsidianfanboy:

RainSong

Scholar
Anthony Davis said:
bat_boro said:
skyway said:

It's the Volorun syndrome (pooling 'facts' out of your arse and stating them like if they were laws of physic).

I thought Baldur's Gate was in kind of the same IP limbo that prevented a possible Torment sequel from ever happening. A situation where the characters, design assets, and story assets were owned by the developers, but the name rights and setting license were owned by the publishers. Obviously, Torment has the added fun of the Planescape setting being discontinued, but I still thought they were in much the same situation. I figured the only Baldur's Gate 3 that would ever exist was a Dark Alliance 3, especially seeing as 2 ended in a cliffhanger and both games sold very well and would likely sell much better than a "true" Baldur's Gate 3.

hiver

It stands to reason if you remember that Josh sawyer was one of the leads in that project interplay was doing just before they lost licensing rights.

I think they had most of the game finished actually.
It wasnt a direct sequell to BG ofcourse ... something about a black dog etc.
Cant remember right now how they called it.

Maybe they want to finish that...?

And since Bioware likes to work with Obsidian...and since they will be busy with that awfull looking dragon Age...?

fastpunk

Arbiter
bat_boro said:
Anthony Davis said:

Heh, dear mister Davis, you as sure as hell made my day today :)
I've already jumped to the right conclusions and if I'm right than that will be sooooo awesome

Dammit man, I wanted to say that. But with a bit more drama and 'aha'-s for the artistic impression. :D

Anyway, dudes, don't hold you're breath. I'm pretty sure (speaking from the gut here) that it's going to be another entry in the Dark Alliance series, not Baldur's Gate proper.

Though I'd love Obsidian doing a BG3. Just as I'd love to see them finish the KotOR trilogy. :daydream:

bat_boro

Arcane
Edward_R_Murrow said:
especially seeing as 2 ended in a cliffhanger and both games sold very well and would likely sell much better than a "true" Baldur's Gate 3.

What's that myth that PC games are not selling well compared to their console counterparts?
I thought that this year The Witcher proved the exact opposite
and as far as I know both KOTOR 2, NWN 2 and MotB sold pretty well

Hümmelgümpf said:
PastorOfMuppets said:
Too bad Obsidian is busy working on Bourne RPG and Not Another Aliens Movie.
They do have at least one unannounced project up their sleeve. A job opening for it was listed at some site.

I'll cross my fingers. There's a lead artist position for an "upcoming triple-A RPG project" on the site.
I am a little weary that they will once again be riding on Bioware's coattails, but maybe since it's been so long since Baldur's Gate they will be able to do their own thing. The problems I had with Knights 2 and Neverwinter 2 stemmed from the problems I had with Bioware's games, but they were much more playable due to all the great parts Obsidian (I know I sound like a fanboy here) added; especially in writing and difficulty.
I never finished Baldur's Gate I or II so I don't know how the story continued between them or if a real sequel is even possible without making some huge story leaps.
Thinking about it more I don't see how Bioware could do another Baldur. They're hyping Dragon Age as it's spiritual successor. They're also making a MMO which will ultimately fail and probably bankrupt the company, but will take a hell of a lot of work in the mean time.
Speaking of Dark Alliance, since Interplay is back... you know.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
PastorOfMuppets said:
I never finished Baldur's Gate I or II so I don't know how the story continued between them or if a real sequel is even possible without making some huge story leaps.

Basically, it's impossible. The BG story was absolutely and definitely ended.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Anthony Davis said:
bat_boro said:
skyway said:

Aye. I've just found it to be a strange coincidence with all these talks about possible BG sequel during this year and recent Bioware renewal of the rights. It was discussed in some topic this summer - and info at some link clearly stated "Baldur's Gate" without any number.

Either way BG sequel is doomed to be shite.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
skyway said:
Either way BG sequel is doomed to be shite.

Anyone up to make a "skyway's facts sheet" ?
Would be a pretty nice read.

Anyway... I wouldn't mind returning to the Baldur's Gate of the 4th edition. I wouldn't mind playing a 4th edition RPG at all, as I'm kinda curious about how it would do on PC (and consoles, most likely ).

Texas Red

Whiner
Melcar said:
A prequel sounds lame.

Not true. I found Time of Troubles to be one of the more interesting parts of Faerun. The potential is great with gods running around, killing each other and raising hell. Highly unlikely though.

Even if Obsidian or CDP Red would be doing it, you'd still get that sellout aftertaste because of the name. Bladur's Gate *3*... um, okay, you're definitely not just using that name to milk the cow.

doctor_kaz

Scholar
A new Baldurs Gate game could easily be made as a sequel. The story of the Bhaalspawn might be over but the chaos that they sowed could make a lot of great stories for later years.

hiver

Darth Roxor said:
PastorOfMuppets said:
Not really completly impossible. there is one way out but im not sure would it be really acceptable.

In the end you basicaly become a god instead of the old Bhaal. With the option to be a good god.

1. You can choose to return to the world as mortal, loosing all your powers along the way. Since you are a god this should be "possible"
Reason for this may be some sort of imbalance you have created or weird power struggles in the Pantheon.

2. There can be another "Time of troubles" maybe instigated by your godhood.

Raapys

Arcane
Darth Roxor said:

Playing a God could be interesting?

If they added Oblivion style level-scaling you'd still get killed by rats, though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom