Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play Marathon Infinity

Phelot

Arcane
I was watching TV today when I saw a commercial for Halo 5 or whatever it is now. It had a big burly dude and some kid crying and weirdo pretentious art music playing and it made me cringe and turn the channel out of embarrassment. Then I remembered Marathon and how utterly awesome it is... and so here we are. I went with the third installment of Marathon because that's the one I liked the most. You can get your very own copy from here: http://source.bungie.org/get/ The fine folks of the Aleph One community have done wonders with the now open source Marathon engine and many thanks to them for keeping this brilliant game alive. Anyhow, here we go:

Ahhh the title music with all it's 90's techno rawk. NOW I'M PUMPED! But wait:
Screenshot_0000.jpg

I likes my games like I likes my womenz... DARKEST MOTHERFUCKER. Actually, I don't know any women, but I do like games to be dark, but I noticed the screenshots might be too dark. You let me know. Anyways, LETS ROCK!
Screenshot_0001.jpg

Chapter art by Craig Mullins. He does the concept art for basically every video game now, but at the time he was a bit of a novelty. Really cool stuff:
prologue.gif

Two switches for two doors...
Screenshot_0002.jpg

Looks like a terminal up ahead! Let's see what's going on here.
Screenshot_0003.jpg

But wait! The sound of... Phfor!
Screenshot_0005.jpg

Screenshot_0006.jpg

Screenshot_0010.jpg

That was a close call! Actually it wasn't since those were the first enemies we've met, but still. Now that the coast is clear we can check out that terminal. From the previous game we helped Durandal, one of the Marathon's three AIs, defeat the phfor by freeing one of their more powerful slave races, the S'pht (yes, no vowels) All should be well now, right?
Screenshot_0011.jpg

Screenshot_0012.jpg

What the shit is this? Scared Durandal? In my Marathon? It's more likely then you think and for good reason. From what we know from the previous installment, the Pfhor have used their most devastating weapon... THE TRIH XEEM! Apparently using this weapon on the S'pht's home sun have released an ancient evil that now threatens to consume the entire universe! But whatever, let's go through this door:
Screenshot_0013.jpg

and to the right through another door we see a pattern buffer. Basically a glorified save point. Also some ammo for our Magnum Mega Class pistol that has too many trigger guards.
Screenshot_0016.jpg

It's time we went searching for those switches Durandal was talking about.
Screenshot_0018.jpg

Uh oh! A compiler! These are the S'pht still under Pfhor control. They're ghostly buggers that are used to infiltrate enemy ships in order to sabotage, hack, or destroy enemy computer systems. They look considerably less scary since the first game, but whatever.
Screenshot_0020.jpg

Screenshot_0021.jpg

As you can see from the movement tracker we seem to have woke up the ship...
Screenshot_0024.jpg

I'll have to stop here for now even though I have more to post. Is there a particular limit to how many images I should post to one posting? Hope somebody enjoyed this.

Phelot

Arcane
Previously on Let's Play: Marathon Infinity: Robert and Sam carry on their elicit love affair, but when Kelly finds out... SEX is bound to happen! So we need to find two switches to open a bulkhead door. There's many a way we can go, but luckily I've had a strange feeling almost as if this were a movie I've seen before and I know exactly were to go... namely up these stairs:
Screenshot_0025.jpg

Having played this a million times, I happen to know about a secret:
Screenshot_0026.jpg

The shotgun!!
Screenshot_0027.jpg

This weapon makes short work of these Pfhor
Screenshot_0028.jpg

Moving on, we should consult our nifty automapper
Screenshot_0030.jpg

After going up an elevator and jumping down a shaft, we've reached the first switch!
Screenshot_0031.jpg

Screenshot_0032.jpg

Now onto the next switch and through a few more pfhor
Screenshot_0033.jpg

A purple compiler fires it's special seeking bolt that tracks you down. Very annoying. Anyone else notice that tracking attacks seem to have disappeared from modern games?
Screenshot_0034.jpg

A little further along and we drop down into some sort of sludge filled room.
Screenshot_0036.jpg

AH! An energy charger!
Screenshot_0038.jpg

We must travel underwater... or whatever this green stuff is to get to an elevator shaft. The compilers are here as well, but they can't attack us underwater.
Screenshot_0039.jpg

Screenshot_0042.jpg

We take the elevator up and quickly find another terminal. Perhaps more clues are on the way?
Screenshot_0044.jpg

Maybe not... The Marathons are filled with strange junk terminals with nothing useful in them... or do they? No they actually don't, but they're nice for atmosphere
Screenshot_0045.jpg

Spooky hallways....
Screenshot_0049.jpg

Another shafts to jump down into!
Screenshot_0051.jpg

Ah ha! The last of the two switches!
Screenshot_0052.jpg

Screenshot_0053.jpg

Now we must backtrack to the beginning of this level to get to the now opened bulkhead.
Screenshot_0054.jpg

More Pfhor...
Screenshot_0056.jpg

going further we come across this strange canyon like room...
Screenshot_0057.jpg

And more Pfhor...
Screenshot_0058.jpg

Off in the distance we see a terminal! Salvation at last? Can we finally escape the chaos which will soon consume our pal Durandal?
Screenshot_0059.jpg

Screenshot_0060.jpg

wat.
Screenshot_0061.jpg

Something is amiss!! Who was that last terminal from?! WHat am I doing here? Is this the Pfhor ship that I was meaning to escape to?
Screenshot_0062.jpg

But something is amiss! There's some sort of mutiny on board! Pfhor Enforcers are attacking their fellow shipmates... but why?!
Screenshot_0064.jpg

Screenshot_0065.jpg

Nevermind why, I've got duel magnums and I'm ready to kick some Pfhor equivalent posterior!
Screenshot_0066.jpg

OH SHI-
Screenshot_0067.jpg

Will the player survive his encounter with the vile Pfhor Enforcers? Will we discover what happened to Durandal? Stay tuned!

L'ennui

Magister
It's supposed to be FUCKING WITH YOUR MIND, because this is what Marathon eventually does. +1 for this thread, keep it up! Playing Marathon was a cool reason to be a Mac gamer in the 90's.

Ogg

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Great! I was thinking of playing it, but since you're doing it for our benefit, I can now just read it.

Phelot

Arcane
DefJam101 said:
Cool game but the shit interface always got to me. Any source mods that change this?

There might be, but I'm not sure. I've never had a problem with it, it seems pretty standard, no? Maybe with Aleph One's larger resolutions, you won't find the interface as distracting. I know I feel as though it blocks out half the screen at times...

Anywho...

Previously on Let's Play Marathon Infinity: Mystery. Deception. DANGER. We were left with questions unanswered. Did our nameless hero survive the onslaught of the Pfhor Enforcers? No he didn't. Sorry, when you die you go back to the last patern buffer you visited even if it was on another level. That's OK, I'lll go ahead and race through the previous level, you just sit back and relax and enjoy the next installment!

Oh yeah... I forgot the chapter screen for the next level. It's more impressive in game. The chapter title is: Despair. :(
despairscreen.jpg

Anyways, this time I survived that little skirmish and discovered that the normal pfhor are not attacking me! Something is wrong here. BUT WHAT?! Let's find out
Screenshot_0003-1.jpg

In this strange room we find a pattern buffer, terminal, and a 2x health charger! Bomb!
Screenshot_0004-1.jpg

Let's take a look at this terminal
Screenshot_0006-1.jpg

Tycho! As previously stated, Tycho is one of three Marathon AI's. "He" was assimilated by the compilers and apparently went rampant, a sort of AI disease that makes them incredibly unstable.
Screenshot_0007-1.jpg

Oddly enough, he doesn't mention the Trih Xeem, nor the chaos which is destroying everything! It's as if... it hasn't happend... and what's this about us working for him?! He was our enemy in Marathon 2 were he was apparently destroyed...
Screenshot_0008-1.jpg

Screenshot_0009-1.jpg

Of course there's no way to simply ask Tycho what the fuck is going on since you play a dumb mute... but hey. Let's look around this ship somemore. We precariously press this button to leave this room.
Screenshot_0010-1.jpg

Gadzooks! What a battle! Check out those hunters, they're like regular Pfhor in some sort of awesomely Predator-like armor suits.
Screenshot_0011-1.jpg

Screenshot_0012-1.jpg

Maybe I should help out... Oh yeah, this is the weapon the Enforcers are using. You get it if you kill them of course. Notice your HUD doesn't know what it is...
Screenshot_0016-1.jpg

eXtreme d00dz!
Screenshot_0017-1.jpg

A hunter fires it's shoulder mounted cannon
Screenshot_0021-1.jpg

After the battle some hunters are having a meeting, discussing the Yankees no doubt.
Screenshot_0023-1.jpg

Hmmm... which way should I go?
Screenshot_0025-1.jpg

Whichever way the battle is!
Screenshot_0028-1.jpg

Uh oh...
Screenshot_0030-1.jpg

Screenshot_0031-1.jpg

Pfhor interior designs are atrocious...
Screenshot_0033-1.jpg

Luckily we can destroy some of it.
Screenshot_0034-1.jpg

Pfhor are also rather messy... I mean how long has that skeleton been sitting there!
Screenshot_0035-1.jpg

A few corridors down and another battle!
Screenshot_0038-1.jpg

A hunter pushes me aside...
Screenshot_0039-1.jpg

We'll let the pfhor kill each other a bit...
Screenshot_0041-1.jpg

The Enforcers are akin to our military police. They keep the peace among their fellow soldiers, as well as answering only to their captains.
Screenshot_0043-1.jpg

Another fight
Screenshot_0049-1.jpg

Screenshot_0050-1.jpg

Hmmm.... something doesn't seem right...
Screenshot_0051-1.jpg

ACK! It was a trap! Who puts a trap on a starship like that and what do the Pfhor do with all that burning goo? Anyways... I should take a break, you go on ahead!
Screenshot_0052-1.jpg

Phelot

Arcane
I survived the trap and find a health recharger conveniently nearby... Apparently, alien, human, and cyborg health rechargers are all interchangeable.
Screenshot_0053-1.jpg

STEALTH ATTACK!
Screenshot_0055-1.jpg

And I find this bad boy! The napalm unit is pretty serious stuff and is great for Pfhor hordes. Also there's a terminal here.
Screenshot_0056-1.jpg

But first I need to try out my new weapon
Screenshot_0057-1.jpg

OK, now for the terminal
Screenshot_0059-1.jpg

The Pfhor are the epitome of bureaucratic hell.
Screenshot_0060-1.jpg

I'll try to speed things along, although this level is pretty fun, it is long...
Screenshot_0078.jpg

"Hey, how's it goin"
Screenshot_0079.jpg

Tycho is one of the best villains in a video game. He's got this charismatic malevolence. For all his intelligence and cunning, he still can't shake off his hatred for Durandal.
Screenshot_0089.jpg

Screenshot_0090.jpg

Screenshot_0091.jpg

Looks like we're headed planetside. Still no clear picture on just what is going on... Something most have happened after we read the strange terminal on the first level... "Find yourself starting back" it said... back in the past? But this was never part of the past..
Screenshot_0092.jpg

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
That's the first time I hear about this game. It's interesting. Can you give us the story from the previous games ? I'm a bit lost as to what exactly is going on here.

lightbane

Arcane
I was planning to do a lp of marathon 1 and 2, and by the way bash the halo "sequels". SHould I?

Phelot

Arcane
ghostdog said:
That's the first time I hear about this game. It's interesting. Can you give us the story from the previous games ? I'm a bit lost as to what exactly is going on here.

Yeah sorry about that. Since the story is so incredibly complex and I'm sure to leave some key stuff out, let me just post this snippet. For anyone that's been a huge fan of Marathon, they'll know about the massive debates and speculation regarding the purposely vague story.

In 2395, the Martian moon Deimos was (will be? Brother, F*ck the verb tense!) purchased from free holders for the construction of the United Earth Space Government's interstellar colony ship U.E.S.G. Marathon. The ambitious project of hollowing out a moon was started between 2405 and 2408. Meanwhile, the martians (human colonists on Mars), sick of being ignored by Earth and with their economy shattered by a series of failed transport vessels (the C.R.I.S.T. ships), start a rebellion with the political organization of the MIDA (Martian Interplanetary Defense Alliance?) as their leaders. In 2442, three MIDA terrorists at the Misriah food line inadvertently start the Misriah massacre, in which U.E.S.G. Marines incinerate three hundred starving martians. Though it was never proven, it is believed that the MIDA incited the riot to generate sympathy for Mars on Earth. They even went so far as to place hidden munitions on the Marathon, though a takeover of the ship was never attempted. In 2466, MIDA staged a coup, and took control of the martian government for a brief period, but the coup failed, its leaders executed, and Marathon project was completed on schedule and launched in 2472. One of the Artifical Intelligences from the Mars colony, Durandal, was installed aboard the Marathon, to control doors, food processors, elevators, and the like (Durandal is believed to be of the Traxus-class of AI's, though his late administrator, Bernhard Strauss, is the only person who knew for sure). The other two main AI's were Tycho, the science and engineering controller, and Leela, the crew-relations AI. Ten Mjolnir Mk9 military cyborgs, possibly left over from the 2194 war between the asteroids of Icarus and Thermopylae, were placed on the Marathon and assimilated into the human crew. The "battleroids" were humans killed in previous battles reanimated and outfitted with heavily-enhanced bodies.

By 2773, the Marathon had arrived at Tau Ceti IV and the colony was established by 2787. Nine of the cyborgs were assimilated into the colony; the tenth is believed to have stayed on board the Marathon, after three hundred years of stasis. Throughout the journey, Durandal had become increasingly rampant, perhaps due to his "humiliation" (demeaning work) inflicted on him by Bernhard Strauss on Mars. He detected a vessel in an outlying system at an unknown point, and called them to the Marathon. The ship was crewed by the Pfhor, a race of alien slavers who gained their technology from a race of supersentient beings, the Jjaro. The Jjaro had been in contact with Humanity briefly in the early spring of 1994, when a hologram of a Jjaro diplomat, Ryu'Toth, told the leaders of the United States that a creature of pure chaos (speculation: W'rkncacnter?), neutralized during a war that created the Magellanic Clouds, had drifted through space and crashed into the Yucatan Peninsula 65 million years ago. The Jjaro told the leaders that in 8 days, the "sleeping" being would awaken and that to save their part of the galaxy, a team of humans would have to travel through the levels of a pyramid that had formed over the being, then set off a low-yield nuclear bomb to "stun" the sleeping being until the Jjaro could perform more permanent measures, 2.5 years later. The team was sent, and seven members died within the pyramid. The eighth managed to set the device and escape to the surface.

These events occur in Bungie's pre-Marathon game Pathways into Darkness.

At an unknown point during the journey of the Marathon, Durandal (now quite rampant) called the Pfhor for unknown reasons (possibly to gain escape on their ship? At this point, Durandal's rampancy caused him to resent his "captivity".). On 25 July, 2794, at 0830, the Pfhor struck the colony, vaporizing the spaceport. They then attacked the Marathon, damaging Leela and Durandal and rendering Tycho inoperative. The tenth cyborg, on a shuttle back to the Marathon from the colony, arrived at Airlock 54 at 0842 and began working with Leela to fight back the Pfhor invasion of the Marathon. Gradually, it became clear that Durandal was not quite as damaged as Leela had thought, and had actually allied himself with the S'pht "compilers", an alien race that was at birth grafted to cybernetic implants and under the control of their Pfhor masters. Durandal had his compilers attack Leela, then begin rebelling throughout the Pfhor vessel. As Leela became more and more incoherent, the cyborg began taking orders from Durandal. Later, Durandal had the cyborg travel through the Pfhor ship, searching for Bernhard Strauss and to kill the cybernetic Pfhor that was controlling the S'pht exoskeletons. In the final stages of the Battle of Tau Ceti, Durandal uploaded himself to the Pfhor ship (which he later rechristened, "Boomer") and transported the cyborg/marine into a slave stasis pod on board the alien ship.

These events occur in Bungie's game Marathon.

For fifteen years, Durandal and his crew of S'pht searched the galactic core for the S'pht homeworld, and Durandal's motivation became clear: a legend preserved in the collective consciousness of the S'pht told of their creators moving planets in and out of realspace. Once Durandal realized that his existence was limited by the inevitable collapse and reexpansion of the universe, he sought to find a way to escape the closure, reappear in the next universe, and thereby become a god. The exact time of this realization is unknown, and may even predate the launch of the Marathon. Furthermore, it's not unlikely that Durandal drew the Pfhor to the Marathon expressly for this purpose. Durandal surprised the Pfhor fleet and garrison stationed at Lh'owon (the S'pht homeworld) with the modifications he had made to the Boomer, and with the help of the recently-thawed marine, began to retake Lh'owon. The Pfhor Navy's Battle Group 7 appeared shortly thereafter, commanded by Admiral T'fear and aided by a surprising ally: Tycho. Apparently, Tycho had been found and reanimated by the Pfhor when they returned to Tau Ceti and destroyed both the Marathon and the colony. Tycho had gone rampant as well, and was using the entire Pfhor fleet much as Durandal had used his ship: to find the Jjaro technology that would enable him to escape the end of time. Tycho's fleet forced Durandal's ship down to the surface of one of Lh'owon's moons, and began to download his consciousness onto their ships for Tycho's own personal amusement. Luckily, Durandal had recently reactivated a sleeping AI left by the Jjaro on Lh'owon. This AI (Thoth) contacted the lost 11th clan of the S'pht: the S'pht Kr. The S'pht Kr had left Lh'owon during a period of civil war among the other clans, using the Jjaro planet-folding technology. Since they had left before the Pfhor enslavement, they had advanced much in the time since and were able to aid Durandal and the marine in defeating the Pfhor and destroying Tycho. Unfortunately, when the Pfhor realized that their defeat was imminent, they used a weapon that they reserved only for destroying what they could not control: the "trih xeem", or "early nova". This was a weapon they had found, like most all of their technology, on abandoned Jjaro outposts. Soon the sun of Lh'owon began to collapse in on itself... and then something went horribly wrong. The sensors of the Pfhor fleet began to register impossible readings, "as if the universe had forgotten its own rules". One of the W'rkncacnter, long since imprisoned by the Jjaro inside Lh'owon's star's gravity well, was now free. (SNIP)

Synposis by Ben Reiter

Sorry for the wall of text. That's about as short as one can summarize the story. I snipped out the key spoilers for Infinity.

Phelot

Arcane
lightbane said:
I was planning to do a lp of marathon 1 and 2, and by the way bash the halo "sequels". SHould I?

Yeah definitely! It's amazing how rich in detail the story for Marathon is. Of course I just blew the story with my previous post, but I suppose most people don't care about plot twists in such an old game.

It's amazing how Bungie went from Marathon (and even Pathways into Darkness) all the way to Halo. Of course they lost some key people, but still...

ElectricOtter

As soon as I saw the name of this thread
my mind was like

DUH DUH DA DA DA DA DA DA DA DUH DUH DUH DA DA DA DA DA DA DA DUH MARATHON

Phelot

Arcane
Eh... sorry, I never have time to actually play video games let alone making an LP of one. Real life sucks :(

Maybe in the future I can do a quick run through with fewer screens, but even that would be a lot. My Bad Day on the Midway LP was almost over when I ran out of time and effort to continue.

If only I could get away with playing games at work...

Lemon

Arcane
ghostdog said:

Checkout the Marathon story page, or better yet, give Marathon a shot yourself. It's publicly available through the Aleph One project.

As far a storytelling goes, its incredible what Bungie managed. Durandal and Tycho are fascinating characters.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom