Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play: Dragon Age!

Sulimo

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
To further flood the Codex with inane and unfinshed LP's, I've decided to let's play Dragon Age.

Please note it's my first LP, so if anyone has any hints/suggestions/whatever, feel free to shout.
Note to self: back up your posts often, or you'll lose 20 minutes worth of typing/finding the screenshots because Photobucket crashes your browser. Ah well, second time's the charm.

Let's Play: Dragon Age: Origins

Part 1: In which we watch the intro, create a character and watch another movie.

DAOrigins2009-11-1222-50-14-18.jpg

DAOrigins2009-11-1222-50-23-31.jpg

DAOrigins2009-11-1222-50-32-21.jpg

They were cast out, twisted and cursed by their own corruption.

DAOrigins2009-11-1222-50-50-35.jpg

DAOrigins2009-11-1222-51-01-95.jpg

DAOrigins2009-11-1222-51-20-84.jpg

Then, the Grey Wardens came.

DAOrigins2009-11-1222-51-55-00.jpg

Here we see the Grey Wardens. (all 5 of them.) Besides their superhuman strength, they also have great tactical knowledge. This is demonstrated by running downhill at a horde of baddies while they're heavily outnumbered. Please note the elf on the left charging in with a bow.

DAOrigins2009-11-1222-52-38-29.jpg

DAOrigins2009-11-1222-52-47-23.jpg

DAOrigins2009-11-1222-53-11-09.jpg

DAOrigins2009-11-1222-53-18-54.jpg

Technically, that isn't the horizon. It also doesn't look that terrifying, unless you're afraid of forest fires.

Finally, the game let's us create a character. We end up with this sympathetic looking fellow.

DAOrigins2009-11-1222-57-59-62.jpg

Meet Drizscht Surana, the elven Mage that will guide us through our adventure.

I've skipped the screenshots of the origins, since I assume most of you are falliliar with them.

Here are our stats...
DAOrigins2009-11-1222-58-04-20.jpg

... and our spells. These two look evil enough for Drizscht, for now.
DAOrigins2009-11-1222-58-23-75.jpg

We're playing this on nightmare, but I'll spare you the screenshots of me choosing the difficulty.

Now, we're treated to another cinematic. Yay.
DAOrigins2009-11-1222-58-50-34.jpg

This tower is the only place in Ferelden where mages may study their art among others of their kind.
Within the high stone walls, the circle practices its magic and trains apprentices in the proper use of their powers.
But the circle tower is as much a prison as a refuge; the ever-vigilant templars of the Chantry watch over all mages, constantly alert for any sign of corruption.

DAOrigins2009-11-1222-59-36-10.jpg

Now that apprenticeship is over and all that remains is the final test: the Harrowing.

DAOrigins2009-11-1222-59-53-32.jpg

Greagoir.jpg
Thus spoke the prophet Andraste as she cast down the Tevinter Imperium, ruled by mages who had brought the world to the edge of ruin.

Greagoir.jpg
Your magic is a gift, but it's also a curse, for demons of the dream realm--the fade--are drawn to you, and seek to use you as a gateway into this world.

DAOrigins2009-11-1223-00-19-12.jpg

Drizscht.jpg
I am ready.

Greagoir.jpg
Know this, apprentice: if you fail, we templars will perform our duty. You will die.

DAOrigins2009-11-1223-00-53-64.jpg

///This line had me puzzled the first time I played it. What's Lyrium? What's up with all the gateways? Ah well.

Archmage.jpg
The Harrowing is a secret out of necessity, child.

Archmage.jpg
Every mage must go through this trial by fire. As we succeeded, so shall you.

Archmage.jpg
Keep your wits about you and remember the Fade is a realm of dreams. The spirit may rule it, but your own will is real.

Greagoir.jpg
The apprentice must go through this test alone, first Enchanter.
Greagoir.jpg
You are ready.

We reach into the pond with lyrium.
DAOrigins2009-11-1223-01-38-59.jpg

Drizscht.jpg
My hand is glowing. Why is my hand glowing? WHAT IS THIS SHIT?

DAOrigins2009-11-1223-01-41-59.jpg

An explosion of light. This is the new shit.

Up next: The fade.

Lothers

Scholar
Nice start... Bring it on! BTW this game is full of ripoffs from many sources...

Sulimo

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
Part 2

Part 2: In which we enter the fade and encounter some demons. And then some more demons.

Finally the game let's us control our character. We're in the fade, and there's a test-thingie going on here. Yay, let's do this.

DAOrigins2009-11-1223-02-05-01.jpg

This is the fade. Please note the annoying filter that's bound to make your eyes explode. Also note the statue. Clicking it will add a journal entry about demons and spirits.
DAOrigins2009-11-1223-02-29-01.jpg

In a jar we find our first loot. It's about here I noticed my inventory is already full of loot, probably due to the DLC I downloaded earlier. We'll try not to use it, since we're doing this the hard way. It'll all be sold at the first vendor we encounter (in 2090)
DAOrigins2009-11-1223-02-51-43.jpg

It is here we meet our first enemy, a wisp. They take 2 spells to die on nightmare, but are relatively harmless. We use our living bomb spell, which makes the wisp explode in an orgy of blood. Seriously, wisps with blood?
DAOrigins2009-11-1223-03-02-70.jpg

The red mist was a wisp. I've got a better screenshot of the blood fountain-wisp later on, this one surprised me so I didn't have my finger on the screencap button.

We move on and encounter a rat.

Rat.jpg
"Someone else thrown to the wolves. As fresh and unprepared as ever."

Ignoring the fact that there's a rat talking to us, we'll just tell him how awesome we are.

DAOrigins2009-11-1223-04-50-40.jpg

Rat.jpg
"You say that now. So have many others before you. Look at me, look at what can happen."

Rat.jpg
(sigh) "It's always the same. But it's not your fault. You're in the same boat I was, aren't you?"

DAOrigins2009-11-1223-05-17-85.jpg

The face behind the mouse. This is mouse, and he'll follow us around. We can't get rid of him, so we'll try our best to ignore him. Seriously, which evil elf listens to mice?

Mouse.jpg
"No. I don't remember anything from... before."

Mouse.jpg
"The templars kill you if you take too long, you see. They figure you failed, and they don't want something getting out."

DAOrigins2009-11-1223-05-36-45.jpg

Yeah! No way that's going to happen to me! I'm hardcore! I make wisps explode, what danger could a demon possibly pose?

Mouse.jpg
There's something here, contained, just for an apprentice like you. You have to face the creature, a demon, and resist it, if you can.

Mouse.jpg
"That's your way out. Or your opponent's, if the templars wouldn't kill you. A test for you, a tease for the creatures fo the Fade."

Drizscht.jpg
"Anything can die. I doubt it's as simple as that."

Mouse.jpg
"You would be a fool to just attack everything you see. What you race is powerful, cunning."

Mouse.jpg
"There are others here, other spirits. They will tell you more, maybe help. If you can believe everything you see."

(Oeh, other spirits? Like, ferrets and raccoons and weasels? BRING ON THE RODENT ARMY!)

Mouse.jpg
"I'll follow you if that's all right. My chance was long ago, but you... you may have a way out."

Drizscht.jpg
Actually, no. I'd prefer you wouldn't follow me, I don't like mice. Seriously, get off my back.

Mouse.jpg
"..."

Drizscht.jpg
"... You're just gonna follow me no matter what I say, then?"

Mouse.jpg
"Yup."

Drizscht.jpg
"Damn you. Let me guess, I can't be rude to you either?"

Mouse.jpg
"Nope."

Drizscht.jpg
"Ah well, let's move on then."

DAOrigins2009-11-1223-06-26-34.jpg

Mouse occasionally says something outside of the dialogue interface. This is rather annoying to screenshot, since you'll have to look around and quickly take a screenshot before the text disappears. Anyway, we move deeper into the fade.

We encounter another wisp...
DAOrigins2009-11-1223-07-59-56.jpg

...which shows us just how much blood it contains several seconds later.
DAOrigins2009-11-1223-08-06-78.jpg

DAOrigins2009-11-1223-08-32-37.jpg

Oeh, look. It's a spirit-paladin. Let's talk to him. Mouse has something to say about him, however.
Rat.jpg
"Another spirit this way. It never seemed equal to his name, to me."

Before we talk to the spirit-paladin 'Spirit of Valor', We look at the view from inside the fade.
DAOrigins2009-11-1223-08-46-34.jpg

... Wait. A floating city? In a spirit realm? It's always in the distance no matter how close you try to get? Zomg, It's Sigil. Well, sort of. That is the golden city the first picture in the intro talks about. It's kinda black now, but we'll get into the how and why of that later.
DAOrigins2009-11-1223-09-11-29.jpg

Pala.jpg
"Indeed, the choice, and the fault, lies with the mages who sent you here."

Pala.jpg
"That you remain means you have not yet defeated your hunter. I wish you a glorious battle to come."
Drizscht.jpg
"I need your help."

(Yes, we're not too cool to admit we need help sometimes.)

Pala.jpg
"I am not here to assist you, however. My purpose is to seek perfection, creating the ultimate weapon for the pursuit of valor."

Drizscht.jpg
"Would one of these weapons affect the demon?"

Pala.jpg
"Without a doubt. In this realm, everything that exists is the expression of a thought.
Do you think these blades be steel? The staves be wood? Do you believe they draw blood? A weapon is a single need for battle, and my will makes that need reality."

DAOrigins2009-11-1223-09-57-21.jpg

Hey, look. It's a stat-based dialogue choice. I didn't put any points in willpower at the start though, so I suppose this is a fake one to make new people familiar with the concept.

Pala.jpg
"How dare you accuse me! I am no demon, preying upon helpless mortals to steal their essence! I am a being of honor and valor! I am a warrior!"

Drizscht.jpg
"So you challenge helpless mortals to duels?"

Pala.jpg
"You are insolent... but your will is unquestionably strong."

Pala.jpg
"Very well, mortal. You prove to me that you possess the strength to resist this demon."

DAOrigins2009-11-1223-10-18-89.jpg

We move on, but we equip our shiny new staff first.
DAOrigins2009-11-1223-10-29-96.jpg

A new kind of enemy, a spirit wolf. These also die in 2 hits, but they show up in small packs. We kill them without too much effort. These, unfortunately, don't explode.
DAOrigins2009-11-1223-11-46-81.jpg

Rat.jpg
"Be cautious. There is... another spirit, here. Not the one hunting you, but still."

We see a sloth demon in the distance.
DAOrigins2009-11-1223-13-50-25.jpg

DAOrigins2009-11-1223-13-59-01.jpg

Mouse.jpg
"I don't like this. He's not going to help us. We should go..."

Bear.jpg
(sniffs) "No matter. The demon will get you eventually, and perhaps there will even be scraps left."

Drizscht.jpg
Why wait for scraps? Come get some now."

Bear.jpg
(yawns) "You'll just run away. I'll not waste time for a chase, not even for a meal."

Bear.jpg
"Begone! Surely you have better things to do than bother Sloth, mortal! I tire of you already."

- My guess is I missed a screenshot here, since the dialogue doesn't really connect. We'll just fill in what could have been said, and continue from there -

Drizscht.jpg
"I go where I wish, bear-demon. What manner of creature are you?"

Bear.jpg
"I am a spirit of Sloth, a creature of the Fade... unlike yourself. Mortals are ever the visitors here."

Bear.jpg
"Still, you serve your function. Only the mortals like yourself are truly annoying."

DAOrigins2009-11-1223-14-55-46.jpg

Bear.jpg
"Then leave me be. You and your ilk are irritating to no end."
- Missed a screenshot here again, I'm still new to the - spam print-screen as often as possible-part -
Bear.jpg
"I might be inclined for such a meal myself. It would be interesting to see the mortal world through your eyes, live inside your form... but I am disinclined to begin such a struggle."
Drizscht.jpg
Just try it.
DAOrigins2009-11-1223-15-22-14.jpg

Bear.jpg
"You have a very nice staff." (Yawns) "Why would you need me? Go, use your weapon since you have earned it. Be valorous."
Rat.jpg
"He looks powerful. It might be possible that he could... teach you to be like him."

Bear.jpg
"Like me? You mean teach the mortal to take my form? Why? Most mortals are too attached to their forms to learn to change."

Drizscht.jpg
"Nah, I'm cool. Teach me to be a bear, if you please."

Bear.jpg
"You, on the other hand, little one, might be a better student. You let go of the human form years ago."

Drizscht.jpg
"... Why are you ignoring my wishes? I want to be a bear! RAAAAARGH!"

DAOrigins2009-11-1223-15-49-31.jpg

Rat.jpg
"A coward could not have endured as I have. The time I have spent waiting for... for some possibility of release."
Mouse.jpg
"But you are right. Hiding doesn't help. I'm sorry, it's the fade. It changes you."

Rat.jpg
"I'll try. I'll try to be a bear. If you'll teach me."

Bear.jpg
"That's nice. But teaching is so exhausting. Away with you now."

- I like this bear. He reminds me of myself. -

DAOrigins2009-11-1223-16-15-78.jpg

Bear.jpg
"You wish to learn my form, little one? Then I have a challenge for your friend. Answer three riddles correctly, and I will teach you."

Drizscht.jpg
Ahhw, come on! A riddle game?! What are you, a hobbit?"

DAOrigins2009-11-1223-16-29-12.jpg

Bear.jpg
"Foolish mortal. Do you really wish to anger me? I may be slothful, but I can be roused."

DAOrigins2009-11-1223-16-40-45.jpg

Yay. We now get to fight this bear. Let's kill him, since the bugger didn't want to help us without some silly riddle game.

DAOrigins2009-11-1223-17-11-96.jpg

We attack the bear and kill him, while kiting him with my living bomb-DoT.

DAOrigins2009-11-1223-17-14-90.jpg

Drizscht.jpg
Ahhw, come on! I KILLED YOU! Ah well. Teach the mouse then, if you want to.

DAOrigins2009-11-1223-17-19-29.jpg

- Why do I have a normal bear? I want a demon-bear as well. This makes me a sad panda -
DAOrigins2009-11-1223-17-22-29.jpg

Bear.jpg
"Go then, and defeat your demon... or whatever you intend to do. I grow weary of your mortal prattling."

We now run back to where we'll encounter the demon. We go past the spirit of valor...
DAOrigins2009-11-1223-17-45-53.jpg

... past some spirit wolves...
DAOrigins2009-11-1223-18-33-20.jpg

... and we run into the fire elemental. Ehhm, demon.
DAOrigins2009-11-1223-19-14-62.jpg

FireElemental.png
"Soon I shall see the land of the living with your eyes, creature. You shall be mine, body and soul."
Drizscht.jpg
"It's two against one. You really want to fight us both."
FireElemental.png
"Amusing. Have you not told it of our... arrangement, mouse?"
Rat.jpg
"We don't have an arrangement! Not anymore!"
FireElemental.png
"Aww. And after all those wonderful meals we have shared? Now suddenly the mouse has changed the rules?"
Rat.jpg
"I'm not a mouse now! And soon I won't have to hide! I don't need to bargain with you!"
FireElemental.png
"We shall see."
And after an uneventful fight, we kill the demon. Yay.
DAOrigins2009-11-1223-20-49-65.jpg

DAOrigins2009-11-1223-21-14-18.jpg

Mouse.jpg
"That is because you are a true mage. One of the few."
Mouse.jpg
"The others, they never had a chance. The templars set them up to fail, like they tried with you."
DAOrigins2009-11-1223-21-25-71.jpg

Yeah! I understand necessity! I'm totally down with it, yo.

Rat.jpg
"You defeated a demon, you completed your test. With time, you will be a master enchanter with no equal."
Rat.jpg
"And maybe there's hope in that for someone as small and as... forgotten as me. If you want to help."

DAOrigins2009-11-1223-21-38-64.jpg

Rat.jpg
"No, no, no! It must be your choice. Quickly now, the templars are going to kill you."
DAOrigins2009-11-1223-21-55-18.jpg

Rat.jpg
"What? Yes! Of course! I mean, I think I was. Isn't that enough? It should be enough! For you."
DAOrigins2009-11-1223-22-04-20.jpg

Oeh, how scary, he's opened his eyes completely and talk with a different voice here.
DAOrigins2009-11-1223-22-13-37.jpg

DAOrigins2009-11-1223-22-26-42.jpg

Betrayed by our dear friend Mouse, who revealed himself to be more than a mouse, we leave the fade.
Outro.jpg

Up next: Hogwart's School of Magic and Wizardry, the dark version.

NB: This is a shitload of work. What have I gotten myself into?

Sulimo

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
'Darkside', although I doubt I'll be able to stand Bioware-evil dialogue options. But we'll see.
The plan is to betray everyone we can possibly betray, killing people for "muahahahah-Look-at-me-I-just-fireballed-a-puppy-so-I'm-evil" is not.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Looking pretty good so far.
Here we see the Grey Wardens. (all 5 of them.) Besides their superhuman strength, they also have great tactical knowledge. This is demonstrated by running downhill at a horde of baddies while they're heavily outnumbered. Please note the elf on the left charging in with a bow.
That bit made me smile :D

Mages already start with a pretty high Willpower by default, so it was probably more than enough to activate [Willpower] option in the conversation.

Elven Mages=16

Dwarf Commoner=12

Without adding points, or anything.

Sulimo

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
Korgan said:
For your own sake, drop the difficulty to Hard. The game will get frustrating otherwise.
I'll see how it ends up, I'm planning on filling my party to the brim with mages, and if that doesn't work out I'll drop the difficulty.

Genma:TheDestroyer said:
Mages already start with a pretty high Willpower by default, so it was probably more than enough to activate [Willpower] option in the conversation.

Elven Mages=16

Dwarf Commoner=12

Without adding points, or anything.

I know, but I reckon Bioware knows that as well. And most dwarf commoners don't play through the fade-opening, as far as I know. So If your character gets enough willpower at the start to activate the option that only mages will see, I think it's safe to say it's a fake option.

Anyway, Will try to do the rest of the mage tower tomorrow.

Monocause

Arcane
As far as I know there are no important choices until you get to the world map, unless one of the minor and seemingly insignificant ones has an influence on the very ending. Someone reported that the ending slides depend on many small things you've done earlier.

I consider the mage origin to be the most boring one. If you find yourself wasted try to force yourself through, it gets much better after leaving the circle tower.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Origin chocies do seem to matter at leats some of the dwarven noble ones do. Nothing major yet, but it's there.

Vibalist

Arcane
Origin choice definitely matters if you choose mage. First of all because many will recognize you as one and have different dialogue, but also because you can sometimes use it to influence or intimidate people. And then there's the matter of a pretty important character whom you meet during the mage origin story who also returns later...

Black Cat

Magister
@ Darth Roxor

"(Oeh, other spirits? Like, ferrets and raccoons and weasels? BRING ON THE RODENT ARMY!) "

None of those you mentioned are actually rodents...

Sulimo

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
Black Cat said:
@ Darth Roxor (sic)

"(Oeh, other spirits? Like, ferrets and raccoons and weasels? BRING ON THE RODENT ARMY!) "

None of those you mentioned are actually rodents...

Ah well, that's pretty stupid of me then I suppose. Note to self: don't assume anything small and toothy is automatically a rodent.

And yes, you can negotiate with rats in DA, proving once and for all that DA > Fallout.

Also, should I try to put in more humour? I've got the feeling it's all a bit too documentation-ish at the moment.

Ogg

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
What? Still no sex scene? Anyway, nice LP. Not as funny as I expected but who said a LP thread had to be funny.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Why is everything blurred in the screenshots ? Have you got depth of field enabled ? In this game DOF looks really wrong.

Sulimo

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
ghostdog said:
Why is everything blurred in the screenshots ? Have you got depth of field enabled ? In this game DOF looks really wrong.

The blur effect is in the fade, to show it's a dream-world or something. It's bloody annoying, but the rest of the game world doesn't suffer from migraine-o-view.

Playing EU3 atm, will update it sometime after dinner.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom