Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recommend me good cRPGs

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
As title says: Could you recommend me some good cRPGs to play?

These are cRPGs I have already finished:
Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura
Baldur's Gate
Baldur's Gate: Tales of the Sword Coast
Baldur's Gate II
Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal
Bard's Tale
Dragon's Age
Fallout
Fallout 2
Fallout 3
Gothic
Gothic 2
Gothic 2 Night of the Raven
Icewind Dale
Icewind Dale: Heart of Winter
Icewind Dale 2
Jade Empire
Mass Effect
Neverwinter Nights
Neverwinter Nights: Shadows of Undrentide
Neverwinter Nights: Hordes of the Underdark
Neverwinter Nights: Kingmaker
Neverwinter Nights: ShadowGuard
Neverwinter Nights: Witch's Wake
Neverwinter Nights 2
Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer
Neverwinter Nights 2: Storm of Zehir
Neverwinter Nights 2: Mysteries of Westgate
Planescape Torment
Risen
Temple of Elemental Evil
The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
The Elder Scrolls III: Bloodmoon
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
The Elder Scrolls IV: Knights of the Nine
The Elder Scrolls IV: Shivering Isles
The Witcher
Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines

And these I'm going to play or I'm playing atm:
Alpha Protocol
Eschalon: Book I
Deus Ex
Dragon Age: Origins - Awakening
Geneforge 5
Gorasul
The Elder Scrolls III: Tribunal

What else would you recommend me?

Martin

Educated
Older Ultimas, mainly 7,6 and the savage empire. Ultima underworld 1 and 2.

Betrayal at Krondor ( maybe also one of the sequels)

Darklands.

Space rangers 2.

Divine divinity and Beyond divinity.

Nox ( if you like pure action rpgs)

I am playing Avernum 6 now and its pretty good.

All I can remember right now. Your list is pretty extensive man.

Maybe you should consider finding a new more self cultivating hobby?

Fezzik

Cipher
Dark Sun: Shattered Lands, Knights of the Chalice, and Prelude to Darkness (if you can deal with the crashes) are my top recommendations. Also, you could branch out and play some roguelikes, e.g. Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup, ADOM, Incursion, and DoomRL. If you'd like to delve into more old school RPGs, then beyond the ones Martin mentioned, there's World of Xeen and Realms of Arkania. If you want some RPG-like games as well, then System Shock 2 and Sacrifice would be good choices.

Heresiarch

Prophet

Wow, you CAN endure the torment of Oblivion AND its two expansions but have never played Daggerfall? Just go play Daggerfall to witness TES's full glory.

Deleted member 7219

Gothic 3
Mass Effect 2
Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic
Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II

ecliptic

Liturgist
Divine Divinity was a fun Diablo/Ultima hybrid.
Vogel's games of course.
I'm going to try Planet Alcatraz & A Farewell to Dragons soon. They may both be utter crap.
Dark Heart of Uukrul
Nahlakh
Ultima VI, Ultima VII
Ultima Underworld
IVAN
ADOM
System Shock I + II

Edison Carter

Novice
johnny1.png

"IN HALO 2 (ONYL ON VISTA UNLES YOU GET SUPEROR XBOX VERSION) U CAN PLAY THE ROLE OF MASTER CHEIF. IT IS A GOOD RPG."

ElectricOtter

Exile I, II, and III
Arx Fatalis
Dark Sun: Shattered Lands
Pool of Radiance
Nethergate
The Magic Candle
Realms of Arkania II
Demon's Winter

Actually, just go here and try out the ones that you like.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
No game older than Fallout. You have wonderful world to discover. Try Pool of Radiance (Gateway to Savage Frontier for pretty graphics), Dark Sun, Eye of the Beholder, ADOM, Wizardry 7, Aethra Chronicles (or Magic Candle 2) and Prelude to Darkness. Very diverse games.

Ooops
Bard's Tale
Tales Of The Unknown, I hope?
:looks at the list:
:retarded:

Dezzy

Novice
Keep 'em coming. I have no good PC games to play.
I recently played through Gothic 1, 2 and Risen and loved the freeform style of them. I did NOT like Mass Effect 2 or Dragon Age.

I've been a PC gamer since 1997, so I may have missed some older good ones. Ultima looks interesting but I haven't played any yet.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Dezzy said:
I recently played through Gothic 1, 2 and Risen and loved the freeform style of them. I did NOT like Mass Effect 2 or Dragon Age.

I've been a PC gamer since 1997, so I may have missed some older good ones. Ultima looks interesting but I haven't played any yet.

Start with Utlima IV, V, VI, VII. Won't be disappointed in the progression.

CrimHead

Scholar
But on a serious note, you seem to be missing many CRPGS from the early-mid 90's. Seeing as how you enjoyed the Elder Scrolls and Gothic games, I don't think you'd be disappointed with Daggerfall. Alot of people complain about the dungeons (which are indeed labyrinthine) but I feel they add to the atmosphere immensely. I felt myself getting occasionally claustrophobic! There's definitely a real sense of exploration and mystery in the dungeons that you won't find in Morrowind. Daggerfall is, like Morrowind, an exceptionally ambitious game, with many, MANY broken elements, but still fun.

Betrayal at Krondor is another good one-- a game with an awesome story based on Raymond E. Feists Midkemia setting and second only to PST in terms of writing imo, tactical turn based combat, and an epic soundtrack. I think parts of it were even written by Feist, but I forget.

Wow, you CAN endure the torment of Oblivion AND its two expansions but have never played Daggerfall? Just go play Daggerfall to witness TES's full glory.

Indeed. A TES game with the scope and complexity of Daggerfall mixed with Morrowind's exponentially increased attention to detail would be damn fine. To bad it'll never happen.

nomask7

Arcane
Dezzy said:

Might & Magic VI, the obvious classic freeform choice. Use GrayFace's patch, which includes modern mouse-look:

http://sites.google.com/site/sergroj/mm

Two Worlds, the best new freeform choice. Be sure to use the latest patch (1.7). I'd also recommend using the hardest difficulty level.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Well, I played but never finished some of games you suggested, like Ultima V and VII, M&M IX, Prelude to Darkness, ADOM, Gothic 3, KotOR, Daggerfall and Arena, Betrayal at Krondor, Avernum 6, Arx Fatalis (hey, I wouldn't call it cRPG though), System Shock II etc. I didn't include them on my list because I have no plans of finishing them (well, maybe I give PtD another go somewhere in future) and I'm no longer playing them. Thanks for suggestions, I will try these that I haven't ever played.

Fowyr said:
Bard's Tale
Tales Of The Unknown, I hope?
:looks at the list:
:retarded:
Well, I finished new one, that is Diablo's clone :oops: I also played Bard's Tale III but never finished it.

Matt7895 said:
Gothic 3
Mass Effect 2
Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic
Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II
Thx but these are games I'm never going to touch or touch again. Gothic 3 was a disaster, ME and KotOR were boring, so no ME2/KotOR2 for me.

Heresiarch said:

I played it many weeks (if not months), I just never managed to finish it. My fun was running around killing things doing random quests and exploring (well, like in every TES but Oblivion's MQ was short so I finished it by accident and Morrowind's MQ took me 2 years, lol)

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
System Shock II... I didn't include them on my list because I have no plans of finishing them.
You fucking played and finished ALL of the fucking faggoty Oblivion games and you don't want to play or finish System Shock II?

You are the biggest faggot on the codex.

Turjan

Arcane
Konjad said:
...Arx Fatalis (hey, I wouldn't call it cRPG though)....
Why that? Too linear? It's not exactly the holy grail of cRPG's, but I wonder why you singled exactly this one out as "not cRPG" among the other games you listed?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom