Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bioware's attempts at writing

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
http://social.bioware.com/forum/Dragon- ... 067-1.html

Bioware. You finally. Finally managed to be worse than Bethesda in terms of writing. Fuck that. You are worse than a goddamn 6th grader.

Now go jump of a cliff.

The first pair of open shutters he saw and Fenris dived through. He landed in a kitchen filled with the smell of baking bread, and a human woman screamed as he rolled to his feet. No doubt the sight of an elf in skintight armor, carrying a blade almost as large as himself, wasn’t a welcome sight. He got to his feet and noticed the surprisingly comely woman, dressed in a nightgown that revealed more of her cleavage than she no doubt expected, pressing against the wall.

The cave mouth is unbearably spooky, even for Sundermount, which you’d think was trying for some sort of spookiness medal.
Most Terrifying Mountain in Thedas, maybe. Mist swirls out of the blackness as if it’s breathing, and the hillside around it is barren. A gaping maw, devouring all the life within its reach…

Storyfaq opinion:

:retarded:

:x

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
They have a poor understanding of how to break down words to be easily absorbed by the brain. They develop inertia only to run into a wall with another series of overly busy descriptions. The images are fed in the wrong order, and especially where pace matters, it gets broken. It forces one to backtrack what they just read in order to understand the action.

Still, this writing is better than anything I've seen in Fallout 3.

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
shihonage said:
They have a poor understanding of how to break down words to be easily absorbed by the brain. They develop inertia only to run into a wall with another series of overly busy descriptions. The images are fed in the wrong order, and especially where pace matters, it gets broken. It forces one to backtrack what they just read in order to understand the action.

I dunno. "Spookiness medal" is still pretty close. May have overreacted though.

Angthoron

Arcane
Re: Biowares attempts at writing

IronicNeurotic said:

The cave mouth is unbearably spooky, even for Sundermount, which you’d think was trying for some sort of spookiness medal.

Is Sundermount trying for a medal, or the cave? Also, "spooky"? What sort of an adjective is that? Are we having a children's book, or a dark fantasy novel? Stylistics, much? I get that this is supposed to be characterization through text, but it's done horribly.

Do these people even have an editor?

Horrible.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
My favorite thing about the women in the DA writing team is that one has a degree in philosophy and two have degrees in creative writing and yet they're all the equal to a hotel manager who got lucky over ten years ago.

Angthoron

Arcane
I'm not even sure what a "creative writing" degree is supposed to mean, to be honest. Where I live, it isn't an academic discipline. I'm guessing it has to be a commercial college sort of a thing, though I do admit I've no idea whether US/Canada have actual degrees in stuff like that.

How do you even judge their thesis? It's like a free ticket for a degree, just write whatever shit that conforms the general forms and there you go.

Also, to OP, it's "Bioware's attempts".

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Lemme try to write a Bioware action sequence.

Fender was startled by the promiscuous smell of fresh-baked bread straight from the ovens of Domfolon, as his fist expertly found his way into the war-torn and grizzled face of a mercenary.

Ok, I'm done.

ElectricOtter

No doubt the sight of an elf in skintight armor, carrying a blade almost as large as himself, wasn’t a welcome sight. He got to his feet and noticed the surprisingly comely woman, dressed in a nightgown that revealed more of her cleavage than she no doubt expected, pressing against the wall.
Everything about this is wrong.

Serpent in the Staglands Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
shihonage said:

I dunno bro, at least with Fallout 3 nobody was rushing to anoint it BEST RPG WRITING OF TEH CENTURY

You can certainly bet that at least half of the game media will be like "and of course, Bioware comes through yet again with amazing writing"

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Dajaaj said:
shihonage said:

I dunno bro, at least with Fallout 3 nobody was rushing to anoint it BEST RPG WRITING OF TEH CENTURY

Yet somehow it became a WGA nominee.

ElecTriCotter said:
No doubt the sight of an elf in skintight armor, carrying a blade almost as large as himself, wasn’t a welcome sight. He got to his feet and noticed the surprisingly comely woman, dressed in a nightgown that revealed more of her cleavage than she no doubt expected, pressing against the wall.

Haha, that's entirely true.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Fenris erupted from the underbrush like a terrified hog escaping the hunter's arrow.

Great Gods, they're found me again!

His wily, sharp mind forced his hawklike eyes to focus on his surroundings. He knew he'd only have seconds before they'd be on him again.

Away, you fool! Get away!

He leapt to his nimble feet and sprinted like the wind towards the next visible trail. This was his only hope, the only way he knew KJDALKAFDSJ#*&#^

Whatever. Where do I sign up?

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Феррис взорвался из под куста как испуганный хомяк бежащий от стрелы охотника.

Господи, они нашли меня опять!

Ох фак зис щит.

Angthoron

Arcane
ElecTriCotter said:

So terribly, terribly wrong. Oh, and "No doubt" is present in both sentences on top of everything else. Which one wrote this, the one with the creative writing degree or the one with philosophy?

20 Eyes

Liturgist
IronicNeurotic said:
The first pair of open shutters he saw and Fenris dived through. He landed in a kitchen filled with the smell of baking bread, and a human woman screamed as he rolled to his feet. No doubt the sight of an elf in skintight armor, carrying a blade almost as large as himself, wasn’t a welcome sight. He got to his feet and noticed the surprisingly comely woman, dressed in a nightgown that revealed more of her cleavage than she no doubt expected, pressing against the wall.

Ugh, it's like a bad fanfic.

Fenris liked the wall-pressed cleavage, and the comely lass couldn't help but notice the growing bulge emerging from Fenris' Hot Topic pants. Fenris proceeded to free his elfhood, much to the lass' delight, for she had noticed that Fenris was actually packing two swords that were almost as large as his body. Like a well-trained magician, Fenris made the lass' panties disappear as he forcefully threw her against the wall and began to ding a ding dang her dang a long ling long.

Can I have some money now?

Ruprekt

Scholar
It might - well not really - be forgivable if it was the philosophy degree holder.

Analytic philosphy is about making clear arguments as briefly as possible, not waxing lyrical about the will in codexian style.

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
Ruprekt said:
It might - well not really - be forgivable if it was the philosophy degree holder.

Analytic philosphy is about making clear arguments as briefly as possible, not waxing lyrical about the will in codexian style.

How is ANY of these sentences " clear"?

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Analytic philosophers are the dead ends of western civilization

I would yeeaaa-- at this, but I don't know man I guess I'll just
:hmmm:

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
This is the kind of writing that gets mentioned for its 'Darkier' storyline?

What the fuck Journalism?

Integrity 0
Sucking Cock 1

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Luckily Bioware always does well at quest design and character mechanics so we can overlook such small hiccups in writing quality.

Black Cat

Magister
sgc_meltdown said:
Luckily Bioware always does well at quest design and character mechanics so we can overlook such small hiccups in writing quality.

I really hope that's actually sarcasm.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom