Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Inactive Ninjas, Samurai, Rock & Roll! [Yo Jin Bo LP]

Black Cat

Magister
yojinbounmeinofreude.jpg

Chapter the first; A game for real men.
In which the game is introduced to us, as well as the heroine of the story to come. Some random information is given by our hostess and then the story starts. Shortly afterwards, the first choice is given to us!

Yo Jin Bo, released back in 2005 by TWOFIVE and brought to the west by Hirameki International in 2006, was for many girls the first Otome game they were able to play and the one that got them interested into the genre to begin with. For the unlearned among you I will explain: An Otome game is any game, no matter the genre, targeted for girls, usually teens and young adults, of whose plot and gameplay both romance and hot guys are an important component, if not the main one. Most Otome games are either pure visual novels, meaning you do nothing but picking choices, though they can also be dating sims, meaning you must not only pick choices but also raise your stats and pass skill checks, or hybrids of visual novels and some other genre popular in the far east, like turn based strategy, kingdom sim, dungeon crawlers, etc. However, some games from other genres can be actually considered Otome games, two easy examples being Avalon Code and P3P.

Yo Jin Bo, however, is naught but a pure visual novel. It is also quite short, and quite weird. And maybe even quite retarded, but that just adds to the fun and the charm. It never takes itself seriously, though, so it is all in good fun: One moment a Samurai is making Star Wars references or doing Mickey Mouse Impersonations, the next they are killing evil ninjas and using ridiculously named secret techniques, and the next they are spouting some ridiculously quotable lines. Do not expect cerebral fun, though.

Its plot is the same plot of, maybe, one of every three Otome games I have ever played: A teen girl somehow ends in another world, or maybe another time, and finds herself both mixed in some dangerous plot and surrounded by hot protectors who will all somehow fall in love with her and stuffies. Like, yeah, the plot is completely retarded but let's be honest about this: Every single girl you know has had that fantasy at least two dozen times in her life, and even that's before leaving highschool. No matter whether you ask me, Miss Bee, Sub, or even Mahou Shoujo Tsundere Lesi... If a girl says she didn't, she's lying. And that's how it is.

More importantly, however, is that I will not be the one making the choices this time. Instead of that, I will give Teh KKKodex the chance to fulfill its true fantasies by leaving our heroine in its hands: I will stop the Let's Play thingie at every single choice and will let democracy show the way forward. Who will KKKodexhime fall in love with? Will KKKodexhime win his heart? Will He and KKKodexhime marry and live happily ever after? Stay, swoon, and find out!

So, without further ado, let's watch the opening and then start the game. Yay.

YoJinBo000009.png

YoJinBo000010.png

Chrrrip, chrrip...

YoJinBo000012.png

Just listening to those cicadas was enough to make me sweat. It looked like today was going to be another hot day.

Well, everybody said it would be a hot summer... But I just couldn't stand this heat every day. And they didn't talk about anything except the nation-wide water shortage on the news.

It was the same here as it was everywhere else. You could actually see how much the water level had fallen in the lake. Everybody was worried, so I guess it was natural that they were making a fuss...

But the water still came out when you turned the fauced, so the whole thing didn't feel real.

Anyway...

I had something more important to worry about.

Sayori

It's all because of the drought...

The level of the lake had fallen enough that archaelogical ruins that were supposed to be hidden underwater had started to appear.

There was supposed to be some romantic legend about those ruins, wasn't there? A story about a princess or something. Let's see... how did it end?

(Not well.) :M

I'd heard the story when I was little, but now I'd completely forgotten it.

But still, it would be exciting to stand in the same place where a legend began...

Which is how I ended up deciding to join the excavation in the ruins, even in this heat.

I had joined the history club because a friend invited me. I liked reading books, so it was fun to look stuff up. But I was usually shut up indoors, so I wasn't used to this terrible heat - it was just too much.

I wished our club president had been considerate enough to schedule this in the early morning or the evening, when it would at least have been a bit cooler.

Club President

All members of the history club, please meet up at the public park in the castle grounds.

Sayori

What? Oh! Yes, yes.

Kaori

Sayori, you're slow!

Nami

You're going to get left behind.

(The president, Kaori, and Nami do not get character protraits, so we already know they will be forgotten in about three lines.)

Gotta hurry, gotta hurry. This place had been underwater for so long that it was really difficult to walk. My shoes were getting all muddy; I should have worn some shoes I didn't mind getting dirty...

Sayori

Hey, wait up!

I started to run as fast as I could. And then it happened, I tripped on something under my feet and stumbled wildly.

YoJinBo000035.png

I waved my arms around, but it was too late. There was nothing for me to grab hold of.

Sayori

Kyaaa-

The view in front of me spun before my eyes...

Thud!

Sayori

Ow, oww.

Not only was I covered in mud, I had landed hard on my rear end.

Sayori

What luck.

Kaori

Did something happen? I'm going on ahead.

(With friends like those... :roll:)

Sayori

Wait, wait!

I was going to get left behind!

Sparkle...

Sayori

Huh? What's that?

Did I just see something glittering on the ground? Maybe it was a shard of glass. That was close - I was lucky I didn't get cut.

For some reason, my interest had been piqued, and I looked more closely at the place under my feet where I had tripped.

YoJinBo000051.png

(Like, that perspective in a game with a target market composed entirely of teen girls is completely WTF. :?)

Sayori

Is that... a stone?

It was half-buried in the mud, but had somehow caught the strong high-noon sun.

casaro-renato-high-noon.jpg

It glinted a strange green. Had I seen this stone before? This feeling... Somehow, it was as if my heart were hurting.

YoJinBo000054.png

The chosen one must choose! What will KKKodexhime do? Will she pick it up? Will she leave it alone? Is this choice anything but cosmetic? Do not miss the next chapter, for this, and more, will be then revealed!

Nya. :M

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Whoa! A Black Cat LP! Awright!

Reads the introduction.

Oh-kay.. I might not quite be the target audience here, but I'll give it a chance.

Reads the rest of the LP.

Nope, definitely not. In fact, were it not for this picture

YoJinBo000051.png

I'd not even be voting. But because of this, I go with
pick it up
:smug:

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I'd love to go all :yeah:, but...

Space 1889
:x

Strange Journey
:x :x

Edit. Voting Pick it up, though. :P

laclongquan

Arcane
i c wat u did zere, neko-tan. Forcing Codexers to play eroge, huh? What a nefarious schemer you are. Yes you are.

Not that I mind, since we did the same thing with Sengoku Rance after all. Still, SR is great enough to break through the anti-weaboo atmosphere a bit. Would this game be of the same level?

Black Cat

Magister
Pick it up it is, then. I'll upload the next update later, which I believe is the prologue's last one.

@ old man paco

And you haven't seen anything yet! :P

@ Azira

The power of Legs compels you. :M

@ Miss Bee

Problem with those Let's Play thingies is that after I recovered from the last time my personality and pattern came crashing down and turned into a pile of smoldering crap I noticed something had gone terribly wrong and I no longer can play actual computer role playing games. Like, with numbers and rules and abstract stuffies. Or maybe terribly right, given that wasn't the most girly of my hobbies anyway.

In any case I can still play action role playing games and stuffies but I can't really enjoy the other kind any more, so right now all my dungeon crawling comes from the Ultima Underworld games, replaying Arx Fatalis, and replaying some dungeon crawly Thief missions while looking around for player made Thief and Thief II missions focused on dungeon crawling to download.

I have become... next gen.

nooo+cat.jpg

So I won't be continuing those two Let's Play thingies anytime soon, sorry. :(

@ laclongquan

Eroge? The most Ero thingie on this game is a kiss scene you get, if I am not remembering it wrong, on Ittosai's good ending. And that's just because it's kind of, like, kind of passionate instead of just squeee spawning romantic.

Maybe some day I'll feel like translating moonrunes for you guys and I'll make a Let's Play thingie of Ijiwaru my rapist master, Under the moon, or any other one of those I have with actual ero elements. Maybe Queen of Darkness or something like that, though if I actually had the intention of translating something while I do a Let's Play I would do something awesome like Clepsydra or Tenshitsuki no Shoujo or Danzai No Maria or something like that instead. Or, maybe, Lucian Bee's Resurrection Supernova. That game's bloody cool, and I have always imagined Gragt looking just like Lee Katoru so it would quite on topic too.

lightbane

Arcane
Hey, a new LP!! And done by Black Cat!! LEt's see what's it about... *reads the post*

:what:

Well, that was... Something, I guess. So, does it have bad endings where the girl is killed or worse? :M

And I vote for leaving it alone.

Black Cat

Magister
Chapter the second; All the pretty little sheep.
In which our heroine falls in love with her new necklace while telling herself once and again she is, like, going to totally give it to the police. Really. Promise. Then she will go to sleep only to show us why it is galactic wars are a dime the dozen.

YoJinBo000055.png

I stretched out my hand and picked it up. My fingers were coated in mud, but I didn't care. I noticed there was a chain attached to the stone, and that it was very heavy, like it might fall off without someone noticing.

(Wouldn't that be the other way around? :?)

Sayori

A pendant?

It did look like the antique pendants I'd seen before in museums. The stone was surrounded by beautiful decoration.

I wondered who it belonged to... There was no way the owner's name would be written on it, right?

Club President

Hey, Sayori! Hurry up! Are you hurt or something? Are you all right?

Sayori

Yeah, I'm fine. I'm coming right now.

But still... it bothered me.

Whatever it was that I had just picked up was all dirty. I tried rubbing it on my skirt, (...)

(And then people say I lack common sense...) :roll:

(...) and slowly, the stone appeared from under the caked-on mud.

I held it up to the sun.

The vibrant green... could this possibly be jade?

YoJinBo000065.png

(I will never be able to imagine that as being said in a way other than the way a zombie calls for brains...)

My mind was about to fly off on some wild fantasy. A gem, long untouched by human hands, waiting in these ruins... The idea was weirdly romantic.

Club President

Sayori! Enough already!

YoJinBo000068.png

I shook myself and looked up frantically, only to see the club president standing with her hands on her hips, looking as fierce as a temple-guardian statue. It was pretty scary.

I grasped the pendant tightly and hurried to stand up.

Sayori

I'm sorry. I guess I was spacing out a little.

Club President

Well, that's no surprise in this heat. But if you kept sitting there, your brains were going to get fried in the sun.

Hey, what's that?

Sayori

Um, this is, well... it's nothing.

Club President

Really? Get yourself together.

Sayori

Sorry. Right.

It wasn't that I meant to hide it or anything...

(right-o) :roll:

I just wanted to investigate it a litte bit more.

(and I am quite sure that investigation wouldn't include trying it out in front of a big mirror while in your best clothes...)

No problem if I handed it over to the club president later, right?

Perhaps I had been drawn in from the moment I saw the light sparkling off of it. If it weren't for that coincidence, it might never have been touched by human hands again.

Maybe it had made me trip because it wanted somebody to find it. Like serendipity, or something.

(You have to give her she's really good with the old maneuver...)

Nami

Ah, your skirt is covered in mud. Sucks to be you.

Sayori

Huh?

When I held up the back of my skirt and looked at it, it was indeed in terrible condition.

Sayori

Ahh, unbelievable.

(You used it to clean the pendant, you monster!)

Kaori

Well, it's hot, so it should dry soon. Just shake it and the mud will fall off.

Sayori

I guess so...

Kaori

Anyway, let's hurry up. If we stand here talking, the president will get mad again.

Sayori

Yeah.

Once again gripping the pendant tightly, I followed closely behind everybody else.

YoJinBo000091.png

YoJinBo000093.png

Sayori

Wow, I'm tired. We've really been walking all day.

We ended up searching until evening, working by the light of the sunset. Sheesh. Was this the history club, or the hiking club?

Sayori

The president is a monster...

With a president this enthusiastic, the rest of the club suffered. I hadn't done this much walking since my middle school hiking trips, and frankly, I never wanted to walk that far again.

Even though I took a long bath, my feet didn't stop aching, and my sunburned face and arms were throbbing.

Sayori

Ow... that's the last time I go out without sunscreen.

(The better solution would be to make this the last time you go out before evening. :3 )

I was going to blame the club president if I got a farmer's tan. I just hoped that my skin wouldn't peel... and my skirt was a mess, too... what a day.

Worrying about my probably sun-damaged hair, I blew it dry and fell into bed, where I dozed lightly.

YoJinBo000105.png

Sayori

I'm exhausted...

I was so sleepy; the fatigue overcame me all at once. But still, I wanted to take one more look at the pendant.

(For scholarly purposes, obviously.) :roll:

Shaking off the drowsiness, I wrapped myself in a towel and picked it up.

When I'd taken a bath earlier, I'd brought it in with me, so the dirt had been all cleaned off. For some reason, pouring hot water over it and washing it carefully had been sort of fun.

(Exhibit A is a textbook case of Bijouterie Infatuation Syndrome.)

As I rinsed it, little by little, the pendant had begun to regain what must have been its original shine.

When I held it up to the light, it seemed as if a soft green glow were emanating from the translucent stone.

Sayori

So pretty...

Maybe it was jade after all? If it was, then I felt sorry for whoever dropped it. Jade was supposed to be pretty expensive...

But I'd read in a magazine that there was lots of fake jade out there, too. Or maybe I was just wrong, and it was some other kind of stone. Maybe it was just plain glass.

(Surely this... utterly beautiful and enchanting... piece of jewelry is a cheap piece of shit. Yeah, totally. Glass, it is! Yeah! Glass! So no one will care if i keep it, right? Right? Please?)

Was the chain silver? I thought so. But it was odd... it had been buried in the mud for so long, and it didn't look rusted at all; it just sparkled softly.

A friend of mine who really loved silver had told me that it was difficult to take care of, because it scratched so easily.

The stone overflowing with rich light, and the brightly shining silver ornaments...

YoJinBo000122.png

(Braiiiiins...)

Sayori

Oh, boy... what should I do?

Maybe I shouldn't have just walked off with it after all. Now I was really starting to worry...

But still, it had been in the middle of the lake... even if I told somebody about it, I doubted the owner would turn up...

Sayori

No, that's just me being selfish.

Ahhh...

Sayori

I'll bring it to the police station tomorrow.

And until tomorrow, I had to take good care of it.

(My precioussss...)

I wondered if it would be okay to put it on for a bit. If my mother saw it, she might notice and wonder where I got something so expensive...

Sayori

Hmmmm...

It was no good. The more I thought, the sleepier I got. I was almost ready to pass out.

It was time for bed.

Clutching the pendant, I plopped my head down on the pillow.

Sayori

Yaaawn...

Tomorrow, I had to go back to the ruins, too.

Sayori

All right, let's get some sleep. Good night.

(She's so totally going to give it back she's already talking to it!)

I briefly hoped for good dreams.

Sayori

Umm...

YoJinBo000141.png

Voice

Help me... please...

My feelings...

My regrets...

Sayori

Huh...

Um...?

What?

Voice

Please... help me.

What... a voice? I could hear somebody's voice...

YoJinBo000151.png

YoJinBo000152.png

When I woke up, my room was bathed in green light.

Sayori

What is this?

That green light spread throughout the room.

Sayori

It's... a dream.

There was no way this could be real.

Definitely a dream. I was asleep and deep in REM.

I was so tired that I was having a strange dream. That was it. That was definitely it. I always felt weird the night after a long hike.

No way! Why was the room so full of light? And what, what was -

YoJinBo000165.png

Why - why was there a girl floating in thin air?

(Thin air? :? That's a new expression, yessiree.)

Girl

Help me...

Sayori

Aahh!

I shut my eyes tightly. One sheep, two sheep, three sheep, four...

When I got to twenty sheep, I made myself open my eyes, hoping the dream had stopped...

YoJinBo000171.png

The sheep died horrible deaths.

(That always makes me smile.) :P

My room was definitely still full of green light. And there was definitely still a girl floating in the middle of that light.

I had no idea who she was. I'd never laid eyes on her. But... she was wearing that pendant around her neck. And the light was coming out of it.

Sayori

No, no way...

Maybe... She was a ghost haunting the pendant? The ghost of a suicide victim, or something? What was I going to do?

Sayori

I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry! I was very bad! I'll give it back, so please don't kill me or anything! Please forgive me!

What an idiot I had been, taking the pendant because I thought it was pretty. Now I was probably cursed, and doomed to turn into a restless spirit... No! That was not in my life plan!

* facepaw *

Girl

Please, help me.

Sayori

Aaah!

She was coming closer! Apparently, I had to do more than just apologize.

Think, think...

A sutra! I should chant a sutra!

What was a sutra again?

Girl

Please...

The girl was stretching her hand towards me. Oh, what was I going to do if she touched me? But there was no place to run...

Girl

Please!

Sayori

Ahh!

She stretched out her hand... It looked like she was begging for something.

I was scared - unbelievably scared - but... Somehow, I knew she was sad, and her sadness made my heart ache.

YoJinBo000192.png

The chosen one must choose! Etc.

Nya. :M

@ Lightbane

The game has both one good ending and one sad ending for each of the six guys. All other endings but those are variations on you and your hot guys got all horribly killed, lol. Some of the sad endings are actually heartbreaking and miserable, I remember actually crying on one when I was smallish. Also, they activate just before the climatic showdown so you never get to see the epiphany of epic badassness your chosen hot guy has in the final chapter, or at least some of them have given not all the guys are equally awesome, and it is implied you failed to do what you set out to do and therefore are unworthy of getting a free bishie for your effort. :(

There's a PS2 version in which you can also, like, capture, speaking the jargon, at least one, maybe more, of the bad guys and turn him into a good guy by means of love and, like, more love, so you have access to more good, sad, and bad endings, but I neither have that one nor is it translated.

spekkio

Arcane
This thread is pointless if we don't get some tentacle action before page 2...

:rpgcodex:

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
The only way we are going to see any possible yuri action is to take her hand.

And yes i know what yuri means. I'm not proud.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Took hold of it, of course. :P

Black Cat said:
(I will never be able to imagine that as being said in a way other than the way a zombie calls for brains...)

:lol:

Also, poor sheep. :(

Black Cat said:
@ Miss Bee

Problem with those Let's Play thingies is that after I recovered from the last time my personality and pattern came crashing down and turned into a pile of smoldering crap I noticed something had gone terribly wrong and I no longer can play actual computer role playing games. Like, with numbers and rules and abstract stuffies. Or maybe terribly right, given that wasn't the most girly of my hobbies anyway.

In any case I can still play action role playing games and stuffies but I can't really enjoy the other kind any more, so right now all my dungeon crawling comes from the Ultima Underworld games, replaying Arx Fatalis, and replaying some dungeon crawly Thief missions while looking around for player made Thief and Thief II missions focused on dungeon crawling to download.

nooo+cat.jpg

:love: :sisfist:

An Ultima Underworld LP, nao!

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
...this is the perfect game for Biofans. :salute: I think it's quite obvious ...yet let's not. Because it's not.

IT'S A FUCKING GHOST FOR FUCK SAKE DON'T TAKE HER HAND! SHAKE IT OFF!

Kz3r0

Arcane
Black Cat said:
@ Miss Bee

Problem with those Let's Play thingies is that after I recovered from the last time my personality and pattern came crashing down and turned into a pile of smoldering crap ....
Funny, it's happening to me at the moment.
Black Cat said:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_L5aU9SvCApI/S ... oo+cat.jpg

nooooo.jpg

Took hold of it. :M

Black Cat

Magister
It seems took hold it is...

@ Mirror-Kun

Also: Hotlinking?

:decline:

You are, like, totally right. Because, you know, I may steal videogames, books, music, movies, series, comics, and who knows what else... but stealing bandwidth is wrong, dood.

captainpirate.gif
Nyaaaar!

@ Kz3r0

Funny, it's happening to me at the moment.

Those are really great and important times, when you actually have a chance to reshape parts of you that aren't completely to your taste. It's kind of a shame things also like to change by themselves when that happens, and you know what they say about even slight changes in complex systems... :(

@ Miss Bee

I have to finish it before being able to make a Let's Play of it, you know... :(

@ Oldmanpaco

The only way we are going to see any possible yuri action is to take her hand.

Somehow you just gave me an awesome idea for the next Let's Play thingie...

@ laclongquan

It's like you are ashamed of knowing what use for a double-ended dildo.

Half of me is really curious now about this...

The other half of me tells me what little sanity I have left should be treasured.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Black Cat said:
@ Miss Bee

I have to finish it before being able to make a Let's Play of it, you know... :(

O rly? Looks like I can't go on with the Space 1889 LP any more, then. :M

What's wrong, Neko-sensei? Wasn't it your self that used to say blind LPs are where the fun is?
:rpgcodex:

Kawaii Theurgist

Liturgist
Chapter the third; And hold she took.
In which our heroine watches as the death of her visitor plays out before her eyes, and then the story leaves her momentarily to focus on the events that led to such development. We will also meet the first from among our heroine's six potential love interests. And given this is the kind of game in which not picking a love interest throws you into a dead end from which all choices result in death, you better start paying attention on whom you want our heroine to glomp.

YoJinBo000193.png

If you looked closely, you could see that the girl was about my age. If that was the case... why had she died?

Was she asking me to do something? Why was she so sad?

I grasped the girl's hand as firmly as I could.

For a moment, I thought I could almost feel her long fingers touching mine.

That instant.

Sayori

Huh?

Even though my eyes were closed, my field of vision expanded rapidly.

(though this segment reads like it should have some cool images as company, it's against a white background and nothing else. However, later we will visit this scene again.)

There were people wearing armor, people wielding swords, people riding horses. People rushing forward and screaming, people running around, hurrying back and forth, people crouching down.

(That's a lot of people...)

Most of them looked like samurai... some of them looked like they might be ninjas. It was almost like I was watching the battle scene of a period drama.

YoJinBo000203.png

Find her! Hurry and find her! Whoever finds her gets a reward!

YoJinBo000205.png

YoJinBo000206.png

What was this? There were lots of people trying to find someone. And that guy with the big shiny sword was trying to do something to that other person... When I realized what it was, I began to shiver uncontrollably.

Please, don't let them find me... Wait? Me? Why would they be after me?

I watched a girl emerge from a large cave, into a ring of samurai who had gathered around her. The lone samurai standing in the middle brought his sword down on her.

Sayori

No! Stop!

I screamed this without thinking. Don't kill me, I thought. Please don't kill me.

YoJinBo000215.png

The moment I screamed, the sparkle of that green light became even more intense, and it swelled to envelop me.

Everything blurred before my eyes. I was... I was about to pass out...

Slowly, slowly... I was being guided to someplace very far away... Some deep, distant place... As if somebody was calling me there.

YoJinBo000219.png

There ends the first chapter, the prologue thingie we did just play through. From now on, and for several updates, the game will be one lineal story without any choices at all, because it will not yet be Sayori's story but Hatsuhime's, recounting the last days of her life and the events that lead to her death. These segment will also introduce all the characters to us. Then, after the story gets again to the ending we just flew through Sayori will get her chance and, again, we will get choices and stuffies.

YoJinBo000222.png

YoJinBo000224.png

Countless lanterns were hung under the dark night sky. As beautiful as the finest ornaments, they created a festive atmosphere.

This was the big festival that only came around every three years, so everyone was feeling especially lively.

Young girls, not yet gathered into groups, ran up and down the night street. This is a story about one of those girls, the daughter of a good house clad in a lovely kimono - but beneath all that, she was a tomboy.

YoJinBo000228.png

Hatsuhime

Hey, Muneshige! I thought I told you to hurry up!

YoJinBo000230.png

Muneshige

Please wait. Please, let's get back to the castle soon...

YoJinBo000233.png

Hatsuhime

Don't preach to me like you're some old man. Everybody else is having fun, so why do I have to be the only one who behaves?

Muneshige

Well, Princess...

Hatsuhime

Shh! Don't say "princess" so loudly! Right now, I'm just plain Hatsu. I don't know anything about any princess.

Muneshige

Oh, for the love of...

Hatsuhime

If this is a nuisance, you're welcome to return to the castle. I'm quite all right by myself.

Muneshige

Don't be absurd. If I left you alone, who knows what you get up to - wait. I mean, it is my sworn duty to protect you, my lady...

:P

Hatsuhime

Hmph... well, that's what you say, but are you sure you just don't want to see the festival?

YoJinBo000243.png

Hatsuhime

Really! So why the "I can't leave my princess alone" routine... Hey. What's that?

Muneshige

That is goldfish scooping, my lady.

KingyoSukui.jpg

Hatsuhime

Goldfish scooping?

Muneshige

It is a game where you use a sort of tool to catch as many goldfish as you can.

Hatsuhime

That sounds like fun! I'm going to have a try.

Muneshige

Yes. Then let us - Ah! Princess!

YoJinBo000250.png

Hatsuhime

Hey. Let me take a turn.

Vendor

Who, you? Do you not know how to ask for things? If you want to play, you have to pay.

YoJinBo000253.png

Muneshige

At once. Here you are, sir.

Vendor

Hee, thanks for the business! Good luck. Go for it, missy!

Muneshigue

The first attack!

YoJinBo000257.png

Muneshige

I was just trying to get this party started.

Hatsuhime

I'm coming up, so you better get this party started...

Click this linkity link. :lol:

Now look what you made me do! That was truly unnecessary.

Muneshige

My apologies.

Hatsuhime

Oh, never mind. So, do I put these goldfish in the bowl?

Vendor

Huh? This your first time goldfish scooping? Until the paper on the scoop rips, you can catch as many goldfish as you want. That's the rule.

Hatsuhime

Until this rips? I see!

YoJinBo000265.png

Hatsuhime

That's embarrassing.

Muneshige

I beg your pardon.

YoJinBo000268.png

Splash!

Hatsuhime

See, look? Five already!

Vendor

You idiot! What sort of moron catches fish with the bowl!

Hatsuhime

What's that? I can keep going as long as the paper on my scoop doesn't break, right? So I just catch the fish with the bowl, I win! You give up yet?

(I would say that right now we have a pretty good answer to the question Sayori asked herself at the very begining of this update... :roll: )

Vendor

No no no! That's not how goldfish scooping works! Hurry up and put those back!

Hatsuhime

Nope. I caught these fair and square. They're my goldfish now. Right, little fishies?

Vendor

There's no "Right, little fishies" for you, girl. If I lose money on this, I'm going to charge you!

(Does that even makes sense? :? )

Now put the goldfish back!

The vendor looked up and flexed his arms threateningly.

YoJinBo000280.png

YoJinBo000282.png

The man lost his balance.

YoJinBo000284.png

Poke!

The princess gave him a shove.

Vendor

Aaaaaahhh!

Kersplash! The poor man toppled headfirst into the goldfish tank.

Hatsuhime

Heh. Love and peace.

Vendor

You, you, you! Don't think you can get away with this! Hey, everybody, gather 'round! I'm gonna show this girl what happens when you underestimate us!

Hatsuhime

What's this? You don't think you can win alone, so you call your friends? I guess you need some men to back you up when you take on one girl.

(Right now, like, the mystery isn't why it was she died so young but how she managed to live so long...)

Vendor

Oooh, now you've done it! I'm going to skin you alive when I catch you!

YoJinBo000297.png

* facepaw *

Muneshige

No, Princess, that would be -

Hatsuhime

It was a joke. There's no way a man like this is going to catch me. Here I go, Muneshige.

Muneshige

Yes!

Even though she was surrounded by rough-looking men, Hatsuhime did not look the least bit taken aback. In fact, it looked as if she were enjoying herself, and she smiles as she started running.

Vendor

Wait, you!

YoJinBo000303.png

Hatsuhime

Oh? Just try and catch me!

Muneshige

Princess! This is not the time for games. Do you not see how many men have gathered here?

Hatsuhime

No matter how many there are, you'd still protect me. Right, Muneshige?

(She knows her game, this princess...)

Muneshige

Well, I don't know. Maybe you should experience a little pain, for the sake of all our futures.

YoJinBo000309.png

Muneshige

Ohh, splendid! I didn't know you could puff out your cheeks that much!

YoJinBo000311.png

Muneshige

... fragile ...

Hatsuhime

What, you have a problem with that! Oh, there are even more people now. I'd better assume there are twenty for every five I can see...

YoJinBo000315.png

YoJinBo000316.png

YoJinBo000317.png

What horrible fate has befallen the innocent and charming Princess? Will it be tasteful? Will she and Muneshige manage to free themselves of the mob unjustly pursuing the lovely and defenseless lady? Will our hostess finally edit the character portraits as to put those next to each line instead of using names and quotes like they did in the stone age? Will this allow her to keep the amount of screenshots per page manageable from now on, where dialogues become long and chaotic given the amount of characters and the expressions changing every other line? Do not miss the next episode of Kurokasha plays girly games so you don't have to, nyarrr!

@ Miss Bee

Well, I'll think about it. But I don't really plan on doing as many Let's Play thingies as before, as that really burns you down. Just one or two every now and then. :(

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Oh, cool! Another LP, and this time with Samurai and stuff in Codex Playground. Wonder who...?

who_did_that.jpg

Ok, so there go the samurai. At least it's going to be some wacky fun dunge...

yojinbounmeinofreude.jpg

A visual novel. Well, I can live through it. After all Kara no Shoujou was something ambitious. Maybe it's worth a damn or two...

Black Cat said:

Forget it.

Wonder what had brought it about. Truly it can't be that...

Black Cat said:

noooo_cat.jpg

:rage:

Goddamnmotherfuckingbloody :decline: !!!

WHYYYYYY?!! :x

Crooked Bee

Patron
So... who's this Kawaii T fellow, and why are there two of you? :?

And oh, this VN is pretty nice, actually. I'm really enjoying it! (And that's one spoilt princess.)
Don't abandon this, at least. I hope the game isn't too long, lest it should drain you out.

I'm coming up, so you better get this party started...

What, really? Oh.

BC said:
Will our hostess finally edit the character portraits as to put those next to each line instead of using names and quotes like they did in the stone age? Will this allow her to keep the amount of screenshots per page manageable from now on, where dialogues become long and chaotic given the amount of characters and the expressions changing every other line?

:lol: Yes, I believe she will and it will.

BC said:
Well, I'll think about it. But I don't really plan on doing as many Let's Play thingies as before, as that really burns you down. Just one or two every now and then.

:love:
It's just that you're my favourite LPer, so I can't but keep asking for more, you know.

@ Mrowak

Hey Mrowak, long time no see! How ya been?

And yeah, BC's sudden aversion to hardcore dungeon-crawlers saddens me. Her LPs of those were really the best. But well, if she thinks that's a change for the better, I can accept that. :P

lightbane

Arcane
Retarded/tomboyish girls who harrass the main character all the time vs suicidal females that have no sense of self-preservation at all, which one is better and why?? Discuss! Also, I hope you have the game's script somewhere, otherwise you'll want to commit suicide after the 4th update or so :M :M

Kawaii Theurgist

Liturgist
Chapter the fourth; YoJinBoMon!
In which we will meet the next four guys in the love interests list, raising the number to five and leaving just one, Ittosai, to meet later. Also, the story and the game abandons all pretense of being able to be taken seriously.

YoJinBo000318.png

Unknown: Ow, ouch!

It really was incredibly dark. And whoever she'd bumped into really knew how to scream.

HatsuScared.png
What's this?

YoJinBo000323.png

:oops:

Hatsuhime realized that she was clinging to something, and she opened her eyes blankly.

Unknown: Huh? What - what - wait -

HatsuNormal.png
Hmm? It feels kind of like... a person... all ticklish...

nya.jpg
* facepaw *

Unknown: That's because I am a person.

HatsuNormal.png
Dr. Livingstone, I presume?

Unknown: Indubitably, old chap. By which I mean, bbzzt, wrong! Um, please don't touch my nipples.

nya.jpg
:P Something I love of the localization is that it is almost a long series of Woolseyisms.

HatsuNormal.png
Oh, I'm sorry.

YoJinBo000331.png

Hatsuhime finally raised her face to find out just who or what it was she was holding on to.

HatsuNormal.png
Huh. Who are you?

JinUh.png
You're the one who bumped into me. I should be asking you that... but then this is the point when I should introduce myself to a woman... oh, who knows.

HatsuNormal.png
What are you panicking about all by yourself? Are you that excited by touching the skin of a beautiful woman?

JinUh.png
You smell so nice - No, no, that's all wrong!

nya.jpg
Never change, Japan.

HatsuNormal.png
Hmm. You're blushing bright red.

MuneMB.png
Princess! Are you safe?

YoJinBo000340.png

HatsuNormal.png
Demasiado tarde, Muneshige. No problem here, so peace out. This nice man was just saving me.

MuneNormal.png
That is good to hear.

HatsuNormal.png
See, even without you - oops.

VendorNormal.png
Hah! Finally caught you! Out of the way, brother. We have some business with the lady.

JinNormal.png
Huh? These men were chasing you?

HatsuShy.png
Mmm-hmm. Just because I'm pretty, they keep following me and won't give up. I said "please stop!" And they just said "It's fine, what's the big deal?"

nya.jpg
Now I suddenly want an Otome game with her as actual protagonist. Just as you will later see there, while Hatsuhime is an important character she's not the protagonist. It's very rare to have an Otome game in which the protagonist isn't pretty much a passive, demure, and defenseless little girl to be protected by the heroes, or taken advantage of by the villains. While that can be understood as a necesary sacrifice to give the spotlight to the cool hot guys, which is the entire point, there are a few that don't follow that formula.

MuneNormal.png
Princess, that sort of made-up story...

HatsuNormal.png
It's more interesting if I fudge the details a little.

MuneNormal.png
It's already become a completely different story.

YoJinBo000352.png

Yaaa!

nya.jpg
The sound effect of blazing fires is heard when that line appears.

MuneShy.png
This young man clearly has fire in his heart!

HatsuNormal.png
How exciting!

JinAngry.png
Say, are any of you suffering from elephantiasis and forced to work in a freak show?

VFnormal.png
What? What does that have to do with anything?

JinAngry.png
You're all animals!

VFnormal.png
I am not an animal! I am a human being! And this is really convoluted and hard to understand!

JinAngry.png
Well, that's why I asked if you were suffering from elephantiasis!

VFnormal.png
We have no idea what you're talking about.

VendorNormal.png
Buddy. You have a lousy sense of humor, don't you?

JinAngry.png
Ka-ching. You just stepped on the landmine buried in my soul, and stepped on it hard.

nya.jpg
The first time I did actually play this game this entire update took me quite by surprise. :P

HatsuNormal.png
Go for it!

MuneMB.png
Princess!

VFnormal.png
Don't just stand there babbling! Hurry up and hand the girl over.

JinNormal.png
Sorry. Nobody likes a man who abandons damsels in distress.

VendorNormal.png
Then we'll just have to fight you too, buddy!

HatsuNormal.png
Ooh. Now things are getting interesting, Muneshige.

MuneShy.png
Uuhh...

YoJinBo000374.png

YoJinBo000375.png

A fight is necessary to any festival. In a surprisingly short amount of time, the bystanders were caught up in the excitement and cheering them on.

nya.jpg
That's one civilized place, right there. :roll:

Among them was a young boy, deftly pushing the crowd aside as he strained to get a look.

YoJinBo000378.png

Boy: What, there's a fight going on? Oh, it's Jin.

JinNormal.png
You sound disappointed, Yo.

YoSmile.png
Well, of course. What did you do this time? Dine and dash? That's no good. You need to pay for thing.

JinAngry.png
I wouldn't do that sort of thing. It's just that for some reason, nobody appreciates my jokes.

YoSmile.png
Well, that's nothing new. I'm not going to back you up.

JinAngry.png
Nobody asked you to!

Even though it was clear that his friend was hugely outnumbered, the boy was still smiling calmly. Nearby, a tall youth had wandered aimlessly into the crowd.

YoJinBo000387.png

BoPrimaDonna.png
I hear a commotion and come running, and it's only Jin? How boring. I'm not going to help you either.

HatsuNormal.png
What, he has friends? Still, they seem to be pretty worthless, as friends go.

YoNormal.png
Huh? You're here too, Bo? Didn't you say you were going to "refrain from fighting and meditate alone," or something?

BoCofCof.png
Well. That was the plan, but... There is also truth to be found in being captivated by the thronging crowd.

JinNormal.png
You mean, you like rubbernecking?

BoPrimaDonna.png
You put it so inelegantly.

JinNormal.png
There's no other way to put it!

The three men stood in the middle of the vendors, chatting calmly with one another. The lead vendor cut in coolly.

VendorNormal.png
Hey, you! Are you saying that one of you can fight all of us by himself?

YoNormal.png
That's right. After all, you all look pretty weak.

VFnormal.png
What? You stinking brat!

Unknown: Oh, Yo. You always say too much.

One more person - a man so tall you had to look up to see all of him - entered the ring with a broad smile. Predictably, the vendors flinched.

YoJinBo000402.png

nya.jpg
*squeee*

MonHappy.png
Well, is it finally time for a man of Buddha to do his part? Mon-Mon is so excited!

YoSmile.png
What's with the monk?

BoNormal.png
Dunno.

MonNormal.png
My name is Monzan Kadokura! Otherwise known as Mon-Mon!

YoSmile.png
Well, I know that, but I still have no idea who you are.

BoRight.png
I doubt he's one of the characters you can get at the end of the game.

MonNormal.png
No! They told me I'm definitely a capturable character.

JinNormal.png
Well, I happen to be the real thing, and I say our characters you can get at the end of the game" club is getting a little crowded.

MonShock.png
Was I just imagining things when I thought I was a capturable character? Was it all in my head?

YoSmile.png
You're making a fuss. Quiet down over there.

MonHappy.png
Oh, sorry.

VendorNormal.png
Hey, you! Stop just standing there and ignoring us!

YoNormal.png
You're noisy too. You secondary character types should just keep quiet.

VFnormal.png
You, you, you son of a - We're going to kill you! You're going to run crying home to mommy!

YoJinBo000425.png

JinAngry.png
Enough with the chatter already! If you want to fight, then come and fight!

YoJinBo000427.png

Taking Hatsuhime's voice as a signal, the crowd around her went wild.

YoJinBo000429.png

VFnormal.png
Oww, ouch, ow ow.

VendorNormal.png
I won't forget this...!

BoNormal.png
What a splendid exit line.

nya.jpg
He is so unbearably Toreador! :P

YoNormal.png
They didn't think things through if they thought they could face all of us with that number of people.

It had literally taken Jin only minutes to make the vendors, who wever far superior in numbers, turn tail and run. Bystanders stood staring, as if unable to believe their eyes.

nya.jpg
Then this obviously was their first contract as an extra for an Otome game...

HatsuNormal.png
Wow. You're strong.

JinNormal.png
Well... Yeah. It's not really a big deal.

YoSmile.png
You're blushing. It's been a while since you've talked with a woman, hasn't it, Jin?

JinAngry.png
Shut up.

HatsuNormal.png
You have our gratitude.

JinUh.png
"Our gratitude?" What are you, a princess?

HatsuNormal.png
I am a princess. Princess Hatsuhime.

JinWTF.png
Whaaa -

MuneNormal.png
Exactly.

JinAngry.png
So, what? Did you want to experience the life of the common people, and disguise yourself so you could go wandering from fiefdom to fiefdom?

Yosigh.png
Jin, that's like something out of a story.

HatsuNormal.png
Well, you could say it's something like that.

JinHappy.png
Really...! Wait, no, I mean, stop joking around. I may not be educated, but do you think I'm an idiot?

YoJinBo000455.png

nya.jpg
... :roll:

JinWTF.png
But really! What sort of crazy princess gets herself chased around by thugs? I can't believe it.

MuneNormal.png
Inded. Hahaha...

HatsuNormal.png
... Enough laughing, Muneshige.

JinHappy.png
Maybe you hurt your head when you bumped into me? I don't really know, but I hear there have been a lot of medical advances recently, so you can get fixed right up.

HatsuPout.png
Muneshige, execute him at once.

MuneNormal.png
That would be an exceedingly rude thing to do to the man who saved your life.

HatsuNormal.png
I don't care.

YoJinBo000465.png

YoNormal.png
Hey, you old pervert. You're definitely not one of the characters you can get at the end of the game.

MonShock.png
Is that how it turns out? Could this really be right?

MuneNormal.png
Incidentally, my lady, it seems there are some people in the crowd who have realized that you are the princess. We should return to the castle soon.

HatsuNormal.png
Really? And here this guy still doesn't have a clue.

JinHappy.png
What? Did you say something?

YoJinBo000475.png

nya.jpg
Copycat!

JinWTF.png
Hey, what's with the "Nyyaa"? I'm the one who saved you, you know.

HatsuNormal.png
And I appreciate it. I need to be going soon.

YoSmile.png
You're leaving already?

HatsuNormal.png
Yup. Mind if I ask your name?

YoJinBo000482.png

YoJinBo000484.png

YoJinBo000486.png

nya.jpg
Meet Mon-Mon. He's awesome. And nya. And a bit of Prrr, too. :oops:

HatsuNormal.png
...Mon-Mon?

MonHappy.png
That's riiight.

Hatsusigh.png
Okay...

YoJinBo000492.png

HatsuNormal.png
I see. Yo-chan, Bo, Mon-Mon. And you're Jin.

nya.jpg
So that's almost the entire crew, as I said at the begining. And, yes, they will keep acting like a somewhat bohemian and easygoing merry band of clowns for the entirety of the game, which is actually part of the charm. Like, sure, it's retarded to believe super samurai warriors would act like that, yes, but at the same time it's what makes the characters relatable and kind of charming. Who would actually want to get hit on by the kind of personalities actual samurai guys had?

JinNormal.png
What's your name?

HatsuNormal.png
...Hatsu.

JinNormal.png
Hatsu... that's a nice name.

HatsuNormal.png
Really? Thanks.

MuneNormal.png
Princess, we really need to be going...

nya.jpg
"... And since we are at it, I fail at timing." Or maybe not. ;)

HatsuNormal.png

I know, I know. Well then, maybe we'll be fated to meet again.

YoSmile.png
Later!

MonNormal.png
You take care now.

BoNormal.png
Farewell.

JinNormal.png
Uuhh... bye.

YoJinBo000509.png

YoJinBo000510.png

JinUh.png
Y-you think so? I'd say she was about average.

YoSmile.png
Hhmmm. You say "average," but...

JinWTF.png
Why are you staring at my face like that?

YoNormal.png
No real reason. Still, you're pretty easy to figure out there, tiger.

JinAngry.png
Who are you calling "tiger"?

MonShy.png
Haha. I think she liked me.

nya.jpg
:love:

Yosigh.png
Absolutely not. The entire universe would collapse on itself before that happened.

MonUgh.png
You've been so cold lately, Yo.

YoSmile.png
I never was anything but cold. Anyway, there's Hatsu. What are you going to do, Jin. "My beloved Hatsu!" "My darling Jin." You two had a real dynamic going there.

JinWTF.png
Shut up! I wasn't really -

BoCofCof.png
I have never seen such an acute case of infatuation. This may become valuable research material.

JinAngry.png
You two think you're so funny... Well, cut it out, you jerks!

And the festival night continued all around the men and their cheerful uproar.

YoJinBo000528.png

@ Lightbane

Of course I have not the script! If I had the script I would be unable to use writing the updates as training, too!

@ Miss Bee

It's just that you're my favourite LPer, so I can't but keep asking for more, you know.

Okay, I may allow me to be convinced then. :oops:

And oh, this VN is pretty nice, actually. I'm really enjoying it! (And that's one spoilt princess.)

I'm glad you like it. It's very funny as long as the player doesn't take herself too seriously, and the localization is obviously a labor of love. In a way it also has a friendly laught by making fun of the more standard Otome games, which tend take themselves way too seriously. There are only a few over the top and funny ones, and they are always refreshing if you spend any time playing this kind of games and hunting for new ones.

So... who's this Kawaii T fellow, and why are there two of you?

I am da Legionya, fo' we are many and fluffy.

@ Mrowak

Forget it.

Betrayer! :cry:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom