Visit our sponsors! (or click here and disable ads)
Kalypso bring back the Disciples franchise with Disciples: Liberation, a dark fantasy strategy RPG
Game News - posted by Infinitron on Fri 12 February 2021, 17:31:56Tags: Disciples: Liberation; Frima Studio; Kalypso Media
The Disciples franchise was a fairly minor series of Heroes of Might & Magic-inspired turn-based strategy games that was active from 1999 to 2012. Originally created by now-undead Canadian strategy game publisher Strategy First, in the late 2000s the series was picked up by German publisher Kalypso Media, who hired some Russians to produce an underwhelming third game. Since turn-based is cool now and nothing ever stays dead in this business, it's not entirely surprising that they decided to follow in the footsteps of 1C with King's Bounty II and bring Disciples back as well. In development at Quebec City-based Frima Studio, the upcoming Disciples: Liberation is described as a "mature, dark fantasy strategy RPG" with a heavy focus on choice & consequence (of course!). Its BDSM-ish announcement trailer might give you an idea of what they mean by "mature". I'll post that along with Kalypso's announcement:
Kalypso Media and Frima Studio have today announced Disciples: Liberation – a brand-new mature, dark fantasy strategy RPG arriving in Q4 of 2021 for PC, PlayStation 4, Xbox One and next-gen consoles, including PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S. An announcement trailer can be viewed below, though it’s not for the squeamish.
Disciples: Liberation marks a new beginning for the franchise, allowing players to explore a richly detailed dark fantasy world, fight foul beasts in intricate turn-based combat, take on hundreds of unique quests and foster relationships with an assortment of in-world factions: from a human empire tinged by religious extremism to the dark forces of the undead lead by a mad queen. Alliances forged, players can build an army and trade hard-earned resources for an assortment of upgrades to their home base. No choice is without consequence and depending on decisions and political alignments, one wrong move could see a deadly domino effect, irrevocably changing the course of their story.
A closed PC alpha for Disciples: Liberation will be available soon, allowing 200 players to go hands-on with the game.
- 80+ hour single-player campaign: experience a sprawling dark fantasy epic over three acts, with more than 270 quests and five unique endings to unlock
- Explore a war-torn overworld: journey through a land in ruin and work to unearth its endless secrets, hidden treasures, and bloody past
- Write your own story: pick from four uniquely skilled classes and define your place in the world, recruiting others to your cause from an assortment of factions
- Build a base: take on quests for precious resources and use your political savvy to build a place of planning and sanctuary
- Fight for your life: recruit 50+ units and amass an army best suited to your play style whilst honing both steel and spell in intricate-turned based combat.
- Challenge deadly bosses: test your mettle and pit your party against horrific monsters and beasts, each requiring a unique strategy
- Choice is everything: let your decisions guide your fate and directly influence what sort of leader you become
- Fight your friends: put forth the ultimate challenge and battle for supremacy in 2-player online skirmishes