Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

A Codex Christmas giveaway [results]

Edit: The giveaway is now over and the results are listed in the post below.

The ongoing sales on Steam and GOG reminded me I had a backlog of games originally intended as gifts to people who (as would later turn out) already owned them. I tried to redistribute, but there were still four left.

I decided this was as good time as any to give the games away and the Codex felt like a natural place to do so. I threw in The Witcher (which was going for €4 on Steam at the time) to honour our Polish friends, making the final list:
Fallout (GOG)
Arcanum (GOG)
Gothic 2 Gold + Divine Divinity (GOG) << (a package, cannot be separated into individual games: I'm not actually sure what will happen if you already own one of these on GOG)
Torchlight (Steam)
The Secret of Monkey Island SE (Steam)
The Witcher (Steam)
As you can see, none of the games are particularly attractive; they're either really old, really inexpensive (especially with the sales going on), or both. I don't really care for whatever reasons you may have to want any of them, be it genuine desire to discover a classic or (in true Codexian spirit) simply deny someone else a brief moment of joy. Nevertheless, here are some basic rules:
  • 1. One game per account. Choose one title you're interested in and post it in this thread.

2. I will ignore any accounts created on December 22, 2010 or later. (I might also ignore universally known or glaringly obvious alts.)

3. On December 25, I will make a list of people interested in each game and use a random number generator (the Codex roll if there are less than 22) to determine who gets it.

4. Konjad is not eligible for Fallout, he already got one.
You don't need to post anything else than the game you're interested in, but it goes without saying I will be delighted to read your comments on how any/all of the games suck, GOG rips off people by selling abandonware and scene cracks, Steam and its role in the New World Order, etc.

Caveat: If you "win" one of the GOG games, I can PM you a GOG gift certificate directly. However, I will need a working e-mail address or a Steam username for the Steam titles. Update: This does not mean you have to post them in the thread, all you need to do is PM them to me once you get picked.

First of all, I would like to thank everyone who participated -- especially those who like SCO provided valuable, aptly phrased insights without asking for anything in return. This was much appreciated.

In the end, Torchlight was the most popular title (appeared 14 times on the final list), followed by The Secret of Monkey Island SE (9), The Witcher (8), Arcanum (7), Gothic 2/Divine Divinity (6) and, finally, the original Fallout (3) which apparently almost everyone has played by now. To determine the "winners", I made a single list of usernames prefixed with the games they listed, then randomized the order (courtesy of random.org). For each individual game, the codexer that came up closest to the top would receive the gift certificate. You can see the final list here.

Thus
The Secret of Monkey Island goes to Elwro,
Torchlight to MapMan,
Fallout to AdmiralHugbunny,
Arcanum to Crooked Bee,
Gothic 2/Divine Divinity to Nukester and
The Witcher to Palmer Eldritch.

Sgizo ended up at the very bottom of the list and will receive the consolation prize, The Humble Indie Bundle (the version that includes all 11 games).
I will PM the gift certificates to their new owners/ask for their Steam user IDs.
Merry Christmas.

Zeus

Cipher
The Secret of Monkey Island SE (Steam). I always wanted to play that game. I hear you can switch between the remix and original mode at will. Pretty cool.

grotsnik

Arcane
It's a Christmas miracle!

Seriously, I don't need any of those, but what a monocletastic gesture.

deuxhero

Arcane
I could try Torchlight. I've played the others (well, the original SoMI, not the SE). Steam ID is deuxhero (duh)

edit: Change that to Gothic 2+DD. Haven't played either. PM me I win for my email.

covr

Prophet
Patron
The Secret of Monkey Island SE, because it's the ony one i haven't played. And others suck nigger balls.

Phelot

Arcane
This is mighty white of you Marquess Cornwallis. You have my thanks (though I have most of these and need no others)

flabbyjack

Arcane
The Witcher. Also thank you Santa. I really should give The Witcher another chance, even though the protagonist is a whiny bitch. You can spend 10 hours killing monsters just to save up for a new sword, and your sword is still a piece of shit. If I win and replay it, I will play it on easy to minimize the amount of mind-numbingly tedious combat I will need to endure.

PS - sex cards FTW

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Arcanum would be perfect. Thanks for a great gesture ^^

4. Konjad is not eligible for Fallout, he already got one.

Spies are everywhere!
panic.gif

Oesophagus

Arcane
Torchlight, since I haven't played it.

This is a very noble gesture, and I hope you get that warm, fuzzy feeling that you get when you help an old lady across the street :love:

taplonaplo

Scholar
Elhoim said:
I'd love to have The Witcher (Steam). If the dice favors me, I'll let you in some insider info about AoD's release date :smug:
Let me guess, Thursday?

pipka

Savant
Begging thread? Begging thread!

Would you kindly provide me with Torchlight? Others I've played and not once.
Pretty please with sugar on the top and big red cherry.

Now I feel myself like a whore... a whore and a tranny.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom