Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Demon War expansion for Dins Curse now available

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: Din's Curse

<p><a href="http://www.soldak.com/Dins-Curse/Demon-War.html">Insert Linkage</a>:</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p style="padding-left: 30px;">Din's Curse: Demon War is the first expansion for the unique action RPG Din's Curse. Din's Curse is a single player and co-op multiplayer action RPG for Windows and Mac PCs with 141 class combinations (196 with the expansion), infinite number of dynamically generated towns, real consequences, and a dynamic, evolving world.</p>
<p style="padding-left: 30px;">&nbsp;</p>
<p style="padding-left: 30px;">Din's Curse: Demon War is the first expansion. [It] adds&nbsp;the Demon Hunter class, new demon monsters, tons of new quests, more involved NPCs, lots of new dungeons and caves, and much more.</p>
<p style="padding-left: 30px;">&nbsp;</p>
<p align="center">Pre-order now, get acces to the beta, and&nbsp;a lower price $8.99 (will go up after beta)</p>
<p align="center">30 day Money Back Guarantee!</p>
<p align="center">Get access to Windows AND Mac versions with either purchase.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>I wonder how the money back guarantee works...</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Thanks <strong>Jaesun</strong>!</p>

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I understand you can either

1) pay a smaller price now and be able to play the beta version (and, of course, the full version later on)

or

2) pay the bigger price at release, knowing the game is complete.

Since I don't have the main game and don't have the time to try it, I'll most likely settle for option 3).

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Both,yo.

Toyed with it for like 15 minutes. Is it me or gfx are a bit better, not that blocky? Some new buttons when talking to npcs, like Fight, Donate..
Picked the new class, will play a bit more to see if its any good. For 9 bucks it seems decent.

Multi-headed Cow

I wish this game and expansion was on Steam. And cheap.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Din's Curse is shit, got bored even during the demo. It's like a little expanded Diablo but without multiplayer.

ecliptic

Liturgist
Din's Curse is shit, got bored even during the demo. It's like a little expanded Diablo but without multiplayer.

Derp. Except there is multiplayer.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
My bad. It's not the Din's Curse I have played. It was Depths of Peril. DoP was shit, idk about DC.

ecliptic

Liturgist
It's a little rough around the edges, but there's some good fun to be had.

It's fun to see the escalation of things, such as a low level monster bounty quest you didn't have time to complete eventually causes a huge monster uprising to murder the town.

I'll probably give the expansion a whirl, it sounds like he really expanded upon the amount of zany things that can chain together.

Lightknight

Liturgist
Well its more interesting than everyone's beloved Torchlight by far, thats for sure.

RampantCoyote

Novice
Jaesun said:
Lightknight said:
Well its more interesting than everyone's beloved Torchlight by far, thats for sure.

How so?

*Much* more variety in starting classes and abilities. Far more open-ended. Every town has a bunch of dynamic quests that WILL change over time as events progress. Wars between monsters on dungeon levels. What *seems* to be greater variety in equipment.

Din's Curse feels a little more formula-driven throughout, whereas Torchlight has some more unique themes and bosses on your first playthrough. But Din's Curse has far more staying power, IMO.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
RampantCoyote said:
Jaesun said:
Lightknight said:

How so?

*Much* more variety in starting classes and abilities. Far more open-ended. Every town has a bunch of dynamic quests that WILL change over time as events progress. Wars between monsters on dungeon levels. What *seems* to be greater variety in equipment.

Din's Curse feels a little more formula-driven throughout, whereas Torchlight has some more unique themes and bosses on your first playthrough. But Din's Curse has far more staying power, IMO.

ok thank you. I just realized there is a demo *slaps forehead* I shall give it a try.

ortucis

Prophet
Sisay said:
I really don't understand why it isn't. Depths of Peril is on Steam (and at a -50% sale).

Probably because if developers sell games directly, they don't have to pay Valve (and other services) their 40% cut in fees.

Personally, I prefer purchasing directly from developers, if possible.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
You know, I worked retail for around 5 years for this one company, and would set the price of items. While the company did not deal in video games I wonder if Valve uses the same principle:

I purchase GameA from DeveloperA for a cost of 5$
I then sell GameA on my site for 20$ (15$ profit)
Later I then have a sale and then sell GameA for 15$ (10$ profit)

The Developer sells the game at a set price period to Valve, the price for GameA is only for the profit of Valve. Granted if the increase in volume for sales of GameA increase, then Vale just continues to buy more copies, which is of course a good thing.

Buying from DeveloperA (as a consumer) you do pay a bit more for the game (as Valve as a Wholesaler usually get's a discount when buying stuff). So buying from the Developer is 100% profit for the developer.

RampantCoyote

Novice
Valve has a pretty good deal with developers (except they do pretty much devalue games indie games by regularly putting them at such extreme discounts so regularly that players now balk at spending more than $5 on them).

The biggest problem from Valve is that simply getting your game *on* Steam is an exercise in frustration. It's a very random thing, and dealing with them is reported to be an exercise in frustration, run-around with multiple different people who don't compare notes, and unreturned phone calls and emails.

So for people who don't have their game on Steam, it's usually not for lack of trying.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
RampantCoyote said:
The biggest problem from Valve is that simply getting your game *on* Steam is an exercise in frustration. It's a very random thing, and dealing with them is reported to be an exercise in frustration, run-around with multiple different people who don't compare notes, and unreturned phone calls and emails.

If it is similar to how the company I worked for, I can see why it may appear Valve is not responsive. Pretty much any online "catalog" so to speak is firstly looked at and analyzed as a pure sales prospective. That they work on 99% of the time. Of course name brand games from top Publishers get added immediately, but the small guys just have to wait. Your little indie game is not much to the overall sales analysis. They will get back to you when they can. Harsh, but that's how It worked where I worked.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I wouldn't say Valve devalues indie games. Honestly the sales like the one now ($5 for a pack of 5 indie games) are meant to attract 'mainstream' Call of Durpies who wouldn't otherwise think about purchasing an indie game. People who enjoy and track the development of said games usually buy them 1) directly from the developer, or 2) pre-order them in advance on Steam or don't really wait for steep deals. On average Steam probably helps indie developers because it gets their titles a lot of publicity/eyeballs on the product it wouldn't otherwise get.

To the actual game, yeah Din's Curse is a lot more polished in terms of it's game play aspects than Torchlight but it is a bit rougher around the edges in terms of production value.

Topher

Cipher
So I just played Din's Curse and it's garbage, did I miss something?

I'll admit that I quit playing before I even got to level 5 but what I saw was boring MMO quests, boring MMO abilities and an the worst random dungeon generator I've ever seen. To compound matters I one-hit killed ever single enemy I encountered while taking absolutely zero damage, I was apparently totally impervious to harm. I literally couldn't be hurt?!?

I haven't uninstalled it yet so tell me Codex is there any reason to give it another shot? For what it's worth I enjoyed Diablo 1 so it's not just a case of me hating the genre, heck I even kind of liked Sacred 2. So please if I'm just missing something let me know.

Topher

Cipher
Jaesun said:
When you start a new character there was a difficulty slider.

Yeah, but what should I set it on there's like a dozen levels?!? Any advice for a good setting for new characters because I went with the default setting it recommended for my brand new character and the enemy difficulty didn't progress as I went deeper into the dungeon? On the third floor enemies were still level 1 even though I'd advanced to level four. I can understand slow progression but it was only a 10 level dungeon and it wasn't even remotely interesting.

Multi-headed Cow

Jaesun said:
You know, I worked retail for around 5 years for this one company, and would set the price of items. While the company did not deal in video games I wonder if Valve uses the same principle:

I purchase GameA from DeveloperA for a cost of 5$
I then sell GameA on my site for 20$ (15$ profit)
Later I then have a sale and then sell GameA for 15$ (10$ profit)

The Developer sells the game at a set price period to Valve, the price for GameA is only for the profit of Valve. Granted if the increase in volume for sales of GameA increase, then Vale just continues to buy more copies, which is of course a good thing.

Buying from DeveloperA (as a consumer) you do pay a bit more for the game (as Valve as a Wholesaler usually get's a discount when buying stuff). So buying from the Developer is 100% profit for the developer.
I'm pretty sure Valve takes a cut of 30% or less of the sale on Steam games. In fact everything I've read says they get a cut of the sales, not that they're buying the right to sell however many units. And supposedly when Valve has these big markdowns the increased sales cause massive spikes in revenue. I think they said something ridiculous like an 80% off game gets a 3000% boost in revenue or some crap, and increased sales even when the deal ends due to people talking to friends about the game and shit.

Ah, here it is. Scrounged up a link. Since this was early 2009 the numbers might be more favorable now, I think they're supposedly over 30 million accounts now instead of 20.
http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/69334 ... tware.html

Konjad

Patron
wow, steam is way more successful that I thought.

As far as I know they actually don't charge much for selling games on Steam. Of course 'not much' doesn't actually mean anything although we don't and won't have access to details since that would really hurt the company if they released them. It's how business work, you hide everything and show to new partners like they're getting a great deal while in reality it's not much better or not better at all than deals with other companies. If they were to release all their sales or agreements data they would fall because getting good deals would be almost impossible.

MisterStone

Arcane
Steams not all that bad, not bad at all, really. Neither for players nor games. Haters gonna hate.

Eyeball

Arcane
Played the demo. Dull, clunky and too fucking ugly even for an indy game in the year 2010. Go play some more Diablo 2 instead.

Multi-headed Cow

MisterStone said:
Steams not all that bad, not bad at all, really. Neither for players nor games. Haters gonna hate.
Game developers tend to whine about Steam though. More specifically, game developers who aren't indie so they see their game being sold for $5 on Steam and don't like it since they aren't seeing the results. Indie developers pretty much universally get a huge boost from Steam sales. Most easy to google of which being this one.
http://forums.introversion.co.uk/defcon ... php?t=2512
Valve okayed the promotion and even though it didn’t focus on DEFCON we were happy that we had achieved our core objective. This was the game-changer. When we started Introversion we’d had a string of successes and believed we were undefeatable, but it was a long time since we’d had a victory and we really needed one. Right on cue, Valve delivered. The promo exceeded all of our expectations and when combined with our low burn rate (no office or staff now) we had gone from being fearful about paying our mortgages to having a year’s operating capital in the bank.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom