Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

Black

Arcane
BlaineMono said:
Ok bro, since I am a really nice guy
I heard womins like your kind.

DraQ

Arcane
BlaineMono said:
Ok bro, since I am a really nice guy (really), I'll give you a chance to prove that you are not such a dumb fuck wannabe that you are making yourself look like.

So please tell me, what makes daggerfall a better game than, say, morrowind?
I wouldn't say it is better than Morrowind, if only because it is a very different game (despite of shared universe and open-ended gameplay) and there is almost no overlap in things both games do well (huge, procedurally generated world VS small, handmade one, for starters). Personally I prefer Morrowind, albeit by very small margin.

Still, Daggerfall is the more ambitious of the two, has huge area, the most political background, the least linear MQ, the most hardcore mechanics for things like crime, diseases, factions and such, banking system, trials, climbing, seasons, meaningful guild benefits, the best chargen ever, awesome enchanting and so on.

In any case, comparing it with oblivious is a fucking travesty.
So is comparing Morrowind with oblivious, though the latter could probably be aptly described as Morrowind with its highlights replaced by Daggerfall's flaws.

Luzur

Good Sir
Admiral jimbob said:
The more people talk about Daggerfall, the harder it is to wait for the next DaggerXL release before replaying. Stop talking about it, please.

well, DaggerXL version 0.19 has been released, just so you know.

it gets Character Generation working, not fully but good enough.

BlaineMono

Liturgist
DraQ said:
Personally I prefer Morrowind, albeit by very small margin.

So do I, albeit the margin is enormous.

Still, Daggerfall is the more ambitious of the two

Yeah, its scope is enormous, the only comparable game that I can think of is Darklands. The difference is, Darklands had a huge detailed world to explore; Daggerfall had a huge procedurally generated placeholder that was ugly, bland and boring even in '97.

has huge area

Which could be 10 times smaller and nobody would notice since it was all the same except for the province capitals.

the most political background

The lore was good, yeah. It's a shame so little of it actually mattered.

the least linear MQ

Nigga, please. Being able to chose the NPC that wins the game at its very end is hardly nonlinearity. The only non-linear part was that you could miss the appointment that one time and fuck the game up forever.

the most hardcore mechanics for things like crime

As far as I remember, the only difference to Morrowind was that you could use a skill to bullshit your way out of prison (or lose some skill points and possibly fuck your game up forever by missing the appointment in prison). Shit, Space Rangers had crime mechanics that was like 10 times deeper.

diseases

Yup.

factions

How was it more hardcore?

banking system

That you didn't need, just like the ship.

trials

You mean daedra princes? Yeah, that was the single awesome thing in the whole game.

climbing

Yeah, while saddled.

seasons

Yup.

meaningful guild benefits

That were obtained by grinding the same "guard the guild" quest and skipping the rest of them because they were a horrible mess that makes WoW look like the game of the fucking millennium?

the best chargen ever

The best chargen ever is in Bloodnet. I won't even discuss it.

awesome enchanting and so on

Eh, it was the same in Morrowind.

I dunno about that. Granted. daggerfall was infinity times smarter than oblivion, but so horribly broken and unfinished that it pretty much evens out.

Also daggerfall was a very important game, a historical milestone and all, but playing it now, in 2011, is either a nostalgia trip or a pose.

So is comparing Morrowind with oblivious, though the latter could probably be aptly described as Morrowind with its highlights replaced by Daggerfall's flaws.

I'd say Morrowind is the only thing that justifies bethsoft's existence. The rest of their games are shite.

Except for battlespire, which was shite with an awesome wild hunt section.

DraQ

Arcane
BlaineMono said:
the least linear MQ

Nigga, please. Being able to chose the NPC that wins the game at its very end is hardly nonlinearity. The only non-linear part was that you could miss the appointment that one time and fuck the game up forever.
Try harder. There were also various optional paths and such.

the most hardcore mechanics for things like crime

As far as I remember, the only difference to Morrowind was that you could use a skill to bullshit your way out of prison (or lose some skill points and possibly fuck your game up forever by missing the appointment in prison).
Then quit sniffing glue, because you remember shit. If only because you had separate legal reputations with about every kingdom and such and doing the time didn't magically make everyone forget. Pond scum is pond scum.

factions

How was it more hardcore?
Required commitment. This alone was beautiful idea, even though could use some tweaking to matter more.

banking system

That you didn't need, just like the ship.
Well, yeah, it's not that carrying around a metric ton of gold in your pockets is much of an inconvenience. :roll:

trials

You mean daedra princes? Yeah, that was the single awesome thing in the whole game.
I meant bullshitting your way out of prison, but Daedra princes were awesome too. And summoning days.

climbing

Yeah, while saddled.
And with wagon attached. Except I didn't mention horse riding to be much of an advantage because the implementation sucked, while climbing in itself is an awesome thing to have.

meaningful guild benefits

That were obtained by grinding the same "guard the guild" quest and skipping the rest of them because they were a horrible mess that makes WoW look like the game of the fucking millennium?
You could pick and choose more diverse quests. Ok, the fact that most quests were an excuse to send you dungeon diving sucked, but guild benefits still beat lack of guild benefits. In Morrowind guild benefits are pretty meh and few require higher ranks.

the best chargen ever

The best chargen ever is in Bloodnet. I won't even discuss it.
Even if so, it's still among the very top. Morrowind's isn't bad but neither is it particularly outstanding.

awesome enchanting and so on

Eh, it was the same in Morrowind.
Again, stop sniffing fucking glue, it isn't. You can't put differently applied effects (like CE and on strike) on a single item, you don't get anything special out of soul-binding and you don't get advantage-disadvantage system.

I dunno about that. Granted. daggerfall was infinity times smarter than oblivion, but so horribly broken and unfinished that it pretty much evens out.
As if oblivious wasn't.

Also daggerfall was a very important game, a historical milestone and all, but playing it now, in 2011, is either a nostalgia trip or a pose.
I have played it first after TES 3 and 4, so let me assure you it's neither. It has very different set of advantages from Morrowind, but it's hardly obsolete.

hanssolo

Educated
BlaineMono said:
the least linear MQ

No.

Peter

Arcane
cakeout.jpg

Peter

Arcane
I just love the fact that a FO3 fan is calling other people sheepies.

grotsnik

Arcane
Somehow I doubt it's what he was referring to, but DG's post did make me think of AG's awful repetition of retrospective choice in dialogue.

DIALOGUE OPTION: 'Mine'

THORTON: Ha! Good job I planted that mine on you back there!

DIALOGUE OPTION: 'Brayko'

THORTON: Ha! Looks like I finished my discussion with Brayko, formed an alliance with him, and arranged for him to come and kill you! Why bother having the player do something when he can later decide he's done it off-screen?

It's a pretty horrible example of the 'cinematic' element killing player initiative and gameplay through selective narrative, and it deserves only rage.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Fuck Gaider. Fuck Alpha Protocol.

Who the fuck is this guy?
Soul Reaver said:
BioWare focuses on polish
Fuck this guy in his hole.

BlaineMono said:
Alpha Protocol's dialogue system was beautifully summarized in zero putctuation:

20100617-093617_aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.png
Considering Yahtzee recently outed himself as someone who doesn't understand the basics of drinking water as opposed to drinking not water I hope you'll forgive me if I don't give a fuck.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
DraQ said:
Andyman Messiah said:
Use dialogue wheel to choose which one.
It'd be the professional option.

That entire thread is so fucking stupid. "Obsidian borrowed a lot from Bioware?" What in the fuck are you on, you filthy monkey? I'm gonna beat you up. I'm gonna reach through the interwebz and fucking knock you out.

Multi-headed Cow

Andyman Messiah said:
Considering Yahtzee recently outed himself as someone who doesn't understand the basics of drinking water as opposed to drinking not water I hope you'll forgive me if I don't give a fuck.
What? Where?

DraQ

Arcane
Andyman Messiah said:
DraQ said:
Andyman Messiah said:
Use dialogue wheel to choose which one.
It'd be the professional option.

That entire thread is so fucking stupid. "Obsidian borrowed a lot from Bioware?" What in the fuck are you on, you filthy monkey? I'm gonna beat you up. I'm gonna reach through the interwebz and fucking knock you out.
But weren't Fallout and PS:T *made* by Bioware?
:retarded:

trollface_small.png

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Multi-headed Cow said:
Andyman Messiah said:
What? Where?
Review for New Vegas. He decided to test out hardcore mode, drinks soda and is genuinly surprised and angered by the fact that it doesn't, in fact, quench his thirst.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom