Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bioware's attempts at writing

torpid

Liturgist
50% chance that Gromnir has a creative writing degree and is putting what he learned to good use by LARPing a dwarf on the Codex.

Funny how he's complaining about being dismissed because of his posting style when he's going out of his way to sound like a retard.

HA! Good Fun!

Gromnir

Liturgist
torpid said:
Funny how he's complaining about being dismissed because of his posting style when he's going out of his way to sound like a retard.

HA! Good Fun!

HA!

am suspecting the irony will be lost on most codexians. thanks for the laugh. and way to reinforce our point 'bout you yutzes preferring to debate Gromnir rather than the weak arguments raised by you and your fellows. bad form.

very brave to hedge your bets with the 50% guess.makes you sound like an incompetent weatherman.

HA! Good Fun!

made

Arcane
Evidently Gromnir is is a more exciting topic for many than Bioware's writing.

torpid

Liturgist
Gromnir said:
torpid said:

HA! Good Fun!

HA!

am suspecting the irony will be lost on most codexians. thanks for the laugh. and way to reinforce our point 'bout you yutzes preferring to debate Gromnir rather than the weak arguments raised by you and your fellows. bad form.

very brave to hedge your bets with the 50% guess.makes you sound like an incompetent weatherman.

HA! Good Fun!

Debating you? I'm just making fun of you :lol:. I do like the constant self-aggrandizement on your part. And I'm reminded of Quinn in the way that you never let go of the issue even though people are pointing and laughing.

HA! Good Fun!

Multi-headed Cow

Gromnir is like a bad Blobert knockoff. Diet Blobert. Blobert lite.

Gromnir

Liturgist
lame. as expected o' a torpid weatherman. flinging weak insults back and forth is tedious. without debate all you gots is forced ad hominemns, and Gromnir don't want to know more 'bout torpid than we already do. so, what is left? "you suck. no, you suck more." disappointing.

maybe one o' your fellows will step up in your stead, but am not gonna hold out hope: is no better than a 50-50 chance o' improvement.

HA! Good Fun!

Coyote

Arcane
Radisshu said:
One of the worst things about DA's writing is that it sometimes incorporates idiot language used on the Bio boards, in the GRIMDARK setting (yeah, very dark). One example is "This reeks of stupid" (said by the character Sigrun in Awakening, as seen in the last update of the Awakening LP on the Codex), which I think was supposed to be a serious line. There are a bunch of other things like that as well, mostly present in the banter between party members.

Agreed. I can tolerate the bad writing overall because it's amusing to me in an snarkable, over-the-top B-movie style, but I cringe whenever I hear that one dwarf crier saying "Epic fail".

Andyman Messiah said:
Lesifoere said:
Andyman Messiah said:
Volourn said:
"the writing in dragon age is the worst i've seen"

Have you played AP? IWD2? ES series? POR2? TW? LMFAO

If you haven't, you don't know shit.
Let's go again.

By the Goddess, Shepard, that was incredible!

Argh! Rarh! Argh!

:lol:

Gromnir said:
ask self why is it alright to dismiss a poster/post 'cause of posting style. the only folks being dishonest is you and ang and others who choose to focus on the manner in which we post, rather than the arguments being made... is a very effective putz detector.

I disagree. I have no problem with dismissing a post because of posting style.* Someone could write a masterful treatise on the state of RPGs today, but if it were all in l33t5p34k, I think I'd be perfectly justified in saying that I'm not going to waste my time trying to read this crap that makes my eyes bleed. The fact that the writer chooses to communicate in an needlessly obtuse manner is not as irrelevant as you're making it out to be. I can go more into the reasons if you disagree; I'm out of time at the moment.

Out of curiosity, why do you post like that, Gromnir?

* To be clear, when you say "dismissing a post", I assume that what you mean is deciding that it isn't worth reading. If what you mean by "dismissing a post" is dismissing an argument as invalid, then we're in agreement.

Honestly I would probably rather translate binary than make sense of a lot of your posts, Gromnir.

There are a lot characters around the Codex, and sacrificing the integrity/reader-base of your content is part of the compromise in being a "character", as I am sure you know.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
He has a bone to pick with Codex, back from NWN and KotOR-days when Spazmo and VD violated his brown backdoor by daring to suggest that Bioware wasn't making the best RPGs ever. Thus he came out of the woodwork to defend creative writing degees - which is a reasonable goal but the fact that the remains harping about how shit Codex is or how "it has lost its mojo" makes it pretty obvious that Gromnir has other... needs as well. Since he made his original point and now he is just trying to defend writing in a weird way - "if you cannot decipher what I'm saying through my pseudo-dwarf larping writing style, it means YOU are a lazy, ignorant idiot but it does NOT say that I'm a dick for insisting on writing in such a way since EVERYONE knows that communication is one-way street!"

Well, no fear, we'll accommodate you too! :salute:

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Volourn said:
"the writing in dragon age is the worst i've seen"

Have you played AP? IWD2? ES series? POR2? TW? LMFAO

If you haven't, you don't know shit.

Fuck you in the ass volurin:

Icewind Dale was magnificinent in their own way...WHY?

Because the they expose the FUCK out of it!

Projection is the key here and with 3D you fuck it up.

edit:

Didnt DIDNT! Expose the fuck out of it!

kris

Arcane
Excommunicator said:
Honestly I would probably rather translate binary than make sense of a lot of your posts, Gromnir.

I think it is stupid to write that way, but I don't see why people would have a hard time understanding it.

Is more like the German I met that tried to fake an British accent. He even fooled some people despite how overdone it was.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Considierng there's almost an unlimited supply of BIo focused threads and not so many Gromnir ones, another lie has been written on the Codex.

R00fles!

Phelot

Arcane
I'm not reading through all these pages to find out why it's 10 pages in just a few days. Just thought I'd let you guys know that. I will say that it's interesting to see the first few posts about Bioware writing and the last few about some dude that pretends to be a dwarf on the internet.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Gromnir is like a bad Blobert knockoff."

Yeah, b/c Grom somehow copied something that didn't exist until just recently. LMAO

"He has a bone to pick with Codex, back from NWN and KotOR-days when Spazmo and VD violated his brown backdoor by daring to suggest that Bioware wasn't making the best RPGs ever. "

That would be nice.. if you never read any of his posts making it clear that BIO games aren't his favoirtes. R00fles!

Multi-headed Cow

Timing doesn't have anything to do with quality Volourn. Why do you lie?

Serpent in the Staglands Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Gromnir said:
lame. as expected o' a torpid weatherman. flinging weak insults back and forth is tedious. without debate all you gots is forced ad hominemns, and Gromnir don't want to know more 'bout torpid than we already do. so, what is left? "you suck. no, you suck more." disappointing.

maybe one o' your fellows will step up in your stead, but am not gonna hold out hope: is no better than a 50-50 chance o' improvement.

HA! Good Fun!

Dude, as long as you purposefully continue to make yourself sound like a fucking retard, no one is going to want to debate anything with you. Face it, no matter how good your points may be, its just not worth the effort for people on a message board to have to decipher the good points through fucking annoying as shit grammar. It's not like we post on the Codex for a living, this is for fun. Intelligent discourse is fun, it is ruined when one side is purposefully being a fucking stupid idiot when he could certainly be making his points much clearer through use of normal grammar, which he knows.

Nobody's going to argue with you seriously until you stop this LARPing bullshit. If that makes you feel superior for whatever reason, then I guess more power to you. I don't understand it, but what the fuck ever. If you actually want to have a real fucking conversation with some actually intelligent people, however, just stop the LARPing bullshit and post what you mean FFS. We don't want to have to decipher everything you post bro. You aren't some complete visionary who everyone bows down to, so we don't feel it's worth it to take the effort to decipher whatever the fuck you're saying most of the time, when it's so much easier to say "hey look at that dumbfuck being a dumbfuck"

TL;DR post like a non fucking retarded person or GTFO kthxbye

PorkaMorka

Arcane
Storyfags, this is what you've done to our genre.

This never would have happened if RPGs had remained focused on exploring and killing stuff.

Most computer games across all genres are mediocre at best.

If you shift the focus of RPGs to story, that results in a lot of RPGs with fan fiction quality stories.

Not to mention it opens up the genre to undesirable elements (see bioware forums).

I hope you're happy, now I'm ashamed to admit I'm a (former) fan of the genre.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Andyman Messiah said:

Stop speaking that foreign shit and speak a real language :rpgcodex:

PorkaMorka said:
Storyfags, this is what you've done to our genre.

This never would have happened if RPGs had remained focused on exploring and killing stuff.

True, that sounds like they would have attracted a different breed of poster.

Like paranoid survivalists, say.

Like Cleve Mark Blakemore, say.

Itz true you know.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
sgc_meltdown said:
True, that sounds like they would have attracted a different breed of poster.

Like paranoid survivalists, say.

Like Cleve Mark Blakemore, say.

Itz true you know.

They've always been here.

But the storyfag shift in RPGs has brought in a much worse group - cat ladies.

In my day, the leading RPG developer was a wargame company.

In today's environment the leading RPG developer is a bunch of fan fiction writing, Canadian cat ladies.

Storyfags ruined this genre.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
PorkaMorka said:
In my day, the leading RPG developer was a wargame company.

Bro I miss Strategic Simulations, Inc. Never forget.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom