Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Playing Torment with Mods

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
And i got a few problems (i'm using the mods listed in the GoG guide, btw).

One, i don't really like the font used with the wide screen mod. I also don't like the way text descriptions of objects tend to float somewhere in the middle of the screen, rather then near the object in question. Any way to change those things?

Two, i'm a bit ambivalent about unfinished business. For one, is the writing of the new content actually good? I know most of it was written by the developers themselves, but i'm thinking a lot of it was actually cut for a reason. Morte's new intro for instance was a bit... uneven, so to speak. There's also supposed to be some bantering with the various female Zombies which doesn't fire up. The screen moves towards Morte but no text shows up. I don't know, i'm getting a dirty vibe from this mod already.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
"Morte's Original Intro:"

The main Morte dialog file the game ships with (DMORTE.DLG) contains an introductory conversation with Morte that is much like all the other conversations in game - you have multiple options in what you say, lots of different conversation paths to explore, etc. What actually shipped is a lobotomized version with almost no options in your responses, probably so as to introduce players new to RPG's more slowly to the whole experience. This UB component restores Morte's introduction to the originally intended more complex version. You can get quite a lot more dialogue out of Morte now if you dig for it.

I'm doing this completely different from the way Restoration Pack did it. Also, the entire dialogue is presented exactly as it was written by Black Isle, with three minor exceptions. See MorteIntro\tph\MorteIntro.tph if you want the details on the differences from Restoration Pack's handling and from the game files.

http://readme.spellholdstudios.net/PSTUB_Readme.html

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I know what the read me says. The problem is that the "lobotomized" version is actually better written. This mod seems to add a lot of stuff but i'm weary of sub par content. I'm always paranoid about the things added by mods and i usually prefer to take an extremely minimal approach. If the content is on a qualitative level with what ended up in the finished game, why was it cut?

Another problem. I installed the WeiDU Fixpack, and now my EAX setting is a bit too extreme. Too much reverb. Any way to tone it down a bit?

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Interesting, apparently, the problem with Morte not flirting with the Zombies is due the GoG version. I wonder what's up with that.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
I played it with Unfinished Business and that conversation didn't seem very option-heavy.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Well, it now crashes when i ask questions to the zombies. I guess i'm not meant to play with this mod.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Dicksmoker said:
I played it with Unfinished Business and that conversation didn't seem very option-heavy.

This is the only instance where the mod replaces actual content from the game, right? How's the rest of the added quests and characters?

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Ok, so the game crashing when talking to zombies had nothing to do with this mod, it was a problem with the torrented version i had. So its back to the GoG version not firing up those flirts. I read some old thread by Quinn where he says he fixed that problem, which was dated around 2009. Did the GoG version bring the problem back to the fore? Where can i contact Quinn about it?

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
IIRC the latest of Qwinns mods should be installed in a specific order. Thunderpeel's giude that Jaesun linked should have it. You could also try using previous versions of UB if you're having problems. As for Qwinn, probably what SCO said. Better check the fixpaxk forums for solutions first.

lefthandblack

Arcane
I just finished a playthrough of the GOG version using the guide that Jaesun linked. I didn't experience any of the issues you are describing, though it id CTD very often.

I got around constant CTD's by downloading Microsoft's application compatibility toolkit and making a compatibility fix with these flags enabled:

-RunAsAdmin
-EmulateDirectDrawSync
-FaultTolerantHeap
-ForceDirectDrawEmulation
-FUSBadApplicationType1
-GlobalMemoryStatuslie
-HandleAPIExceptions
-HandleBadPtr
-HarwareAudioMixer
-IgnoreCRTExit
-IgnoreFreeLibrary
-LoadLibraryCWD
-NoGhost
-NoShadow

Some of these fixes may be redundant/not needed, but it's what I ended up playing the whole game through with on WIN 7 64 after a long process of trial and error. There are still a couple of areas that would CTD without fail every time (grain silo and museum) the workaround for those areas was to dismiss my party and go solo for those areas. Forcing direct draw makes the game run perfectly smooth even at 1900 x 1200 with properly rendered spell effects, but the trade off
is that you will have mouse trails on menus (inventory, etc.)

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Jaesun said:
:facepalm:

I'm so lazy i just didn't feel like registering to their forums. Either way, i fixed the problem by installing the torrent version and replacing its override folder with the GoG version. Everything works fine now. Amazing there are so many voiced Morte flirts. The joke was good enough for one or two lines but there are a crap load of recorded files. They must have recorded them all in one sitting before deciding they were a bit too tacky. Such a fine eye for quality in this game, its disheartening to think how much better it could have been had they worked on it for a little longer.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Tycn said:
So you've finally reached the point where you can play Torment again?

The urge comes at least once a year. This game can't be played too often because the experience is paramount, so you have to wait until you are in the perfect state to enjoy it to its fullest. Its a bit like Beethoven or Schubert for me. I rarely listen to their music but when i do its an earth shattering experience.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Lyric Suite said:
Either way, i fixed the problem by installing the torrent version and replacing its override folder with the GoG version. Everything works fine now. Amazing there are so many voiced Morte flirts. The jokes was good enough for one or two lines but there are a crap load of recorded files. They must have recorded them all in one sitting before deciding they were a bit too tacky. Such a fine eye for quality in this game, its disheartening to think how much better it could have been had they worked on it for a little longer.

Is the new Morte stuff cringe worthy, or actually not half bad?

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Jaesun said:
Lyric Suite said:
Either way, i fixed the problem by installing the torrent version and replacing its override folder with the GoG version. Everything works fine now. Amazing there are so many voiced Morte flirts. The jokes was good enough for one or two lines but there are a crap load of recorded files. They must have recorded them all in one sitting before deciding they were a bit too tacky. Such a fine eye for quality in this game, its disheartening to think how much better it could have been had they worked on it for a little longer.

Is the new Morte stuff cringe worthy, or actually not half bad?

I only heard a couple. They are... not that bad. Its the idea itself that's a bit tacky. The bad part is actually the fact that he does it for every single female zombie you talk to. Apparently there's almost as many recorded lines as actual female zombies in the entire game, so what Qwinn did was to use a new line for every zombie in order to allow the player to experience all of the lines. Worse yet, the lines are ordered in a fixed pattern so every time you play the game you get to hear the same exact sequence. I think his rationale is flawed. Better to keep the lines in a sporadic, randomized order. Who cares you are not going to catch all the lines in one play-through? That's what replaying the game is for. Did Qwinn ever consult the Codex while he was working on this thing? We could have helped him integrate this material a bit more smoothly. I wish i knew how to chance this stuff so i could tailor his mod to my tastes.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Lyric Suite said:
I only heard a couple. They are... not that bad. Its the idea itself that's a bit tacky. The bad part is actually the fact that he does it for every single female zombie you talk to. Apparently there's almost as many recorded lines as actual female zombies in the entire game, so what Qwinn did was to use a new line for every zombie in order to allow the player to experience all of the lines. Worse yet, the lines are ordered in a fixed pattern so every time you play the game you get to hear the same exact sequence. I think his rationale is flawed. Better to keep the lines in a sporadic, randomized order. Who cares you are not going to catch all the lines in one play-through? That's what replaying the game is for.

Interesting, and I 100% agree with you on that.

Lyric Suite said:
Did Qwinn ever consult the Codex while he was working on this thing? We could have helped him integrate this material a bit more smoothly. I wish i knew how to chance this stuff so i could tailor his mod to my tastes.

He DID listen to and respond to feedback on the spellhold forums. Granted the 1 time he came here, that was, well we all know how that worked out.

I DO really wish someone would pick this project back up. It IS a lot of fucking work however.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Jaesun said:
He DID listen to and respond to feedback on the spellhold forums. Granted the 1 time he came here, that was, well we all know how that worked out.

I wasn't around at the time, so i don't know what happened. Don't tell me he ran afoul with Codex trolling (who takes that shit seriously anyway?).

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
People trolled him for his habit of signing his posts with
-Qwinn

and he got into a hissy-fit, declared Codex to be a horrible cesspool and stormed off. Which was a shame because he usually had good stuff to share in what would become Workshop and so on.

xantrius

Liturgist
I thought Qwinn provided reasonably reason for leaving, but It's a long time ago and all blurry to me so what ever.

Also the Zombie flirt sequence is, I'm quite positive, due to stability issues. Think that the Black Isle developers originally left them out because of instability, at least there's some of the things Qwinn added back they had left out due to broken stabilityness.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
xantrius said:
I thought Qwinn provided reasonably reason for leaving

The only possible reasonable way to leave this forum is to either grow bored with it (personal choice) or end up doing something exceedingly embarrassing (Wyrmlord, Nomask). Anybody who leaves because of all the trolling that goes on here really needs a few slaps in the back of the head because you can't take that stuff seriously, let alone personally.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom