Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher Officialsky Witcherovda 2 Impressiovna Threadskaia

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Darth Roxor said:
That scene with Foltest dying was completely fucking retarded. I mean, 'hey dudebros, I'm in this castle where everyone hates my guts, there's a superhuman assassin after me, and I'm the smuggest and most clever damn king the world has seen, but yo, I'll just turn my back on this creepy bulky bro, I mean, he's completely harmless 'cause he's blind and has a robe, eh? Nevermind that eyecolour comment, I have problems with hearing, lolololo'

The assasin thing was unsuspected. With all this rebelion, the king had his children own his mind. That was far more important than his on life. You will see that he goes in front all of the time, just to be closer to them. Even when a dragon pops up, he still wants to see his children. You can say to Foltest that the previous assasin was a witcher or you don't. Still seeing one here was unsuspected.
The elves were a hint that something is up, but who would thought to connect elves to witchers? If Geralt or Foltest had more info, they would be more careful. They didn't so Foltest died. :(
Oh and the comment about the eyes was just before he attacked and slit the kings throat. Second or two. Geralt couldn't save him. Foltest couldn't react.

BTW. Foltest is the king of the steel balls. :smug: A fucking balista attacks them and even with information about balistas he will stay in place and be :smug: about it. It's a waste that he had only a minor role in the game. If I could hear him some more... oh well. :(

golgepapaz

Augur
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Michael Ellis said:
Pro:
I like the humour.
See http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss29 ... her2-1.jpg

Cons:
The consoletard mouse-clicking-quickly-like-a-flash-game BS to operate the ballista.
The autoaim which when spamming left click automatically moves me 180 degrees and 25 feet to attack someone I could not even see.

if this is a SS you 've uploaded I want the name of the util on the lower left that shows your GPU temperatures and frame rate..

BelisariuS.F

Augur
Darth Roxor said:
Doesn't toxicity vanish when the potion's effect ends, though? Which means you can, effectively, use ubermensch potions 24/7 if you have enough herbs? :M

Ubermensch? You can drink only three potions at the same time, and some of them have additional negative effects (like 'resistance to bleeding -30%', so you might have to waste one slot just to compensate for the negative effects), so it's not as if they make you indestructible.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Michael Ellis said:
Pro:

Cons:
The consoletard mouse-clicking-quickly-like-a-flash-game BS to operate the ballista.

Why do people lie?
I just finished that part with the ballista. You don't have to quickly click with the mouse to operate the ballista. Just click slow and steady, it is enough.
Michael Ellis said:
Cons:

The autoaim which when spamming left click automatically moves me 180 degrees and 25 feet to attack someone I could not even see.

You don't need to spam the LMB you retard! :x You won't attack faster because of the attacking animation.

Let me correct myself. Those people don't lie. They are just idiots.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
phelot said:
I've never had a problem with games allowing you to drink a potion and especially in TW1 since they appear to be little shots AND they appear to be designed to drink quickly. They could have just designed an interrupt system. That's better than running away and having your enemies just wander back. That's exploit heaven if it's anything like is being described.
Exploits? Potions are useful but they're mild boosts at best, and the absolute best ones have serious side-effects, like reduced damage or health. They're intended to help tailor you for an upcoming fight, but they won't win the game for you and certainly aren't "exploitable" in the same way you're suggesting. Even swallow, the go-to potion for everything in the first game and made combat much easier, has been hit with the nerf stick because you can still die in 2-3 hits on normal if you get taken off-guard.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
KalosKagathos said:
Havoc said:
He's like you, a witcher, so he uses bombs and signs. Here's my tactic. Watch for Aard and the fire signs - dogde. Use Space to slow the game, so you can think where to dogde. When he uses Quen/Armor sign, don't fight him. Wait for it to end. Don't go too far from him, he will throw bombs. The way I defeated him, was with block and counter-attack.
I want this game. Now. A mirror boss is the most perfect and divine form of an action game boss. Never thought CDPR was capable of this much :incline:.

Well, you'd be disappointed then brother. In reality this dude has everything better than you - fucktones of hp, hyper powerful signs, infinite bombs, resistances to stun from Yrden, longer... ehm... sword... Fighting him is a battle of attrocity. My tactics

Quen saves your arse. This and Yrden which if it works may buy you up to 5 clear strong strikes against the fucker. That battle was a nightmare.

Quilty

Magister
My impressions from the first hour I spent with the game, playing on hard:

Dialogue is much better than in the original.

Animations in the cutscenes are much more fluid, people don't just stand there like wooden dolls, swinging their arms.

Cool, I can pick which part of the intro I want to play. Hated that I couldn't skip some parts of the intro in TW1.

MY GOD LOOK AT THE GRAPHICS. Oversatured, perhaps, but a bit of color is sometimes just what is needed. The gloominess of TW1 could get a little too much at times, so this is a nice change. Still, I hope there are some darker settings.

Holy shit, trebuches! Moving trebuches! A castle under siege! Tents as far as the eye can see!

First combat encounter. Finally, I can use mah witcher the way I want to, no more QTE combat.

What the...why are you guys running away? Stand your ground and fight me! Don't just turn around because I did so. Man with large shield, please stop running away and exposing your back, thus completely ridiculing the fact THAT YOU HAVE A TOWER SHIELD. See, now your kidneys are on fire.

Fuck off, ballista, I don't want to click slowly nor quickly to load you up. Get that smug grin off your consoleish face, you despicable thing. I'm only doing this so I can play some more.

Waves of enemies. Feels like DA2 right now.

Clicking some more to do something to the ballista. Console crap, grumble, grumble.

Got killed by an arrow, a truly codexian start.

Looking forward to actually playing some more tomorrow. A good start, though marred by some consolitis.

EDIT: Either I'm doing something wrong or the saving system is very popamoleish. You press save and it just says, game saved, doesn't let you name the save or anything. I know it was done similarly in TW1, but come on. Just let me type in "boss fight after tits" or something.

The inventory system was made for the consoles and the way you interact with the world makes me rage. I usually slide past the tiny point of interaction and have to go looking for it again. The font is also too small, don't know if I can change that. My eyes bleed like vaginas after Geralt's been through them. :(

The map is very stylish, but unusable so far. It's in glagolitic, and as a dirty slav I should probably know it, but dudes, just write the names of locations in English. Christ.

I reinstalled the game, as well as the DLC... but to no avail. It would seem that the DLC is hell bent on not functioning properly.

So yeah, I just got cheated out of some content which CD Project Red might as well have put on the disc instead of releasing it as day one FREE DLC.

:rpgcodex:

Quilty

Magister
Where's the registration number for the game if you got it from GoG? I can't find it anywhere, and need it for the DLC. The menu says it should be in the e-mail, but that may have ended up in my spam, and thus got deleted.

Mamon

Scholar
Are there puzzles in this game? How is the dungeon/level design?

Ptosio

Arcane
The way I think potions should be done (not that I've played the game yet or anything):

- you have one spot in your witcher suit (there might also be some uber alchemist suits in the game that'd allow for 2 slots) in which you could put a potion to use during the fights.
- as it is a very small bottle and you drink it in a hurry, all the effects are down 40%
- if you're idiotic enough to start drinking a potion while you're surrounded by a group of enemies, you'll obviously die.

Wot do you think? Isn't that fair and balanced or what?

storyfag: Not translating word for word is an obvious thing, but how did you approach some cultural sensitive things, like the references to the local politics/popculture or the word-games? Have you ommited them entirely like in the first game, left as they were or 'localised' by going all the way reinventing them (which for me smells a decline unless it's not another Shrek, but that's just me)? What about the pseudo-archaic Polish that Sapkowski loves to use - did you try to give that feel to the English version too (if so - how?) or did you just give up? Are there some lines you're especially proud of?

Heresiarch

Prophet
Just got into the courtyard of monastery in the prologue, and I got mercilessly gang up and killed by the knights over and over again. :M

At first five minutes, I was like meh compared to TW1, because the "feel" just isn't the same, and the combat system is completely different and I thought WTF BUTTON SMASHIN?!? :x Then I realized how wrong I was when I got FUCKIN KILLED by some soldiers in the first combat situation by Geralt himself alone. And Jesus Christ the soldier with shields can reeeally rape your bleedin ass if you fight them as Skyway protip: with button mashing.

In TW1 I would just keep hacking at one opponent and he or it will almost not fight back until it's dead and his buddies how surround me would hardly bother to attack my back or so. In TW2 the guys not only would recover from my attacks and block or even retailate, but the other goons would not only make sneaks attacks on you but also jump ALL on you. My actual thought is, the combat system is very like Arkham Asylum, with all the tactical dodging and blocking, but TW2 is even better, because in AA goons would only attack you one by one.

The signs are all weaker than before, no more insta I Win buttons, even the lowest soldier would resist them very frequently (at least 30~50%), so if you are like Skyway think that you can insta win by stunning everyone one by one and coup de grace then you are imagining things. Especially against big crowd, sure you can use it to push one guy away, but you can't go happily hack on him while he's laying on the ground because the other 3 knights are all jumping on you with two handed swords ALL AT ONCE.

Those who said that health regen is a popamole issue are quite bs. In combat there is no regen unless you take a trait, and even outside combat it is soooo slow. I even drank swallows just to for recovering outside of combat.

Other than combat, the dialogues are slightly more whacky than the first game, but the quality is still great. The Geralt voice this time is slightly more gloomy though. Foltez is awesum.

Michael Ellis

Scholar
golgepapaz said:
Michael Ellis said:
Pro:
I like the humour.
See http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss29 ... her2-1.jpg

Cons:

if this is a SS you 've uploaded I want the name of the util on the lower left that shows your GPU temperatures and frame rate..

Yes, screenshot. MSI Afterburner. Took the SS with FRAPS.
2560x1600. I have two 6970s and FPS range in the 30s most of the time with settings at max.

Michael Ellis

Scholar
J_C said:
Michael Ellis said:
Pro:

Cons:

Why do people lie?
I just finished that part with the ballista. You don't have to quickly click with the mouse to operate the ballista. Just click slow and steady, it is enough.
Michael Ellis said:
Cons:

You don't need to spam the LMB you retard! :x You won't attack faster because of the attacking animation.

My point was that this type of mouseclicking required of the user in a so-called mature pc game is stupid.
Guilty of hyperbole I admit.
Whether spamming LMB or not, the game automatically ran me 180 degrees to what was formerly offscreen in order to attack.
This autoaim autoattack is BS.
I have been a gamer for almost 35 years and I stand by my consoletard criticisms of TW2.
As I was an original consoletard on PONG and ATARI VCS.
:smug:

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
PrzeSzkoda said:
Funny story. I've a friend who worked for CDP as a loc-tester for a bit, two or three years ago. He was the only competent person on the noob team - he actually intercepted bugs reported by other testers and worked his ass off correcting them, since they usually introduced more errors than they fixed. The CDP staff was impressed and offered him a very well paid (by Pollack standards) entry level full-time job which he declined because he's a fag (literally. Jasede would love him.)
Well, looking at other tester's contributions (back then fully accessible by our FTP site) I was 100% sure I was more competent then the guys sitting in the office in Warsaw. But I didn't even apply for a full-time job since I judged my PhD to be a worthier cause (and it turned out I was right).

Still, it was awesome to work for someone who really showed they valued your work!

MetalCraze

Arcane
J_C said:
Why do people lie?
Hahaha look at this.
We now have people protecting retarded QTE.

Listen to J_C, you just don't properly understand the sophisticated nature of breaking LMB!

Who gives a shit? The (A)wesome button is the only thing you twitch the most.

I've played a bit into the Chapter 1.
The game doesn't improve a little bit. You are still bombarded with the retarded amount of cutscenes, there are still stupid unskippable QTEs and the combat doesn't get better.

Basically the whole "game" is like this:
You watch 3 minutes of people talking. You fight for a minute or take part in a retarded brawling QTE (because CDP is unable to make a good fist combat). You watch another 3 minutes of people talking. Quest finished.

^Repeat constantly. This is what counter-culture underground PC ubermensch Codex considers RPG these days.

The "big city" is nothing more than a few short streets.
BG2's Athkatla = big city. Flotsam = small village.

The assasin thing was unsuspected. With all this rebelion, the king had his children own his mind. That was far more important than his on life. You will see that he goes in front all of the time, just to be closer to them. Even when a dragon pops up, he still wants to see his children. You can say to Foltest that the previous assasin was a witcher or you don't. Still seeing one here was unsuspected.

So when Bioware does something like this their writing is shit. But when CDP does the same there's suddenly a hidden meaning.

Noo the king walking around nearly alone in a town that hates him is not retarded. How he managed to survive this long and become a king not dying of stupidity?

Do you even know how fanboyishly hypocritical you sound?

It's a shit plot twist that I saw from a mile away. If a player sees a plot twist like this - writing is shit. No matter how much fanboyism you'll apply to it.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
Prologue is definitely disappointing. No, the combat is good and cutscenes are some of the best i've seen so far, but the interface poisoned with consolitis, linearity, ammount of cut-scenes(not their quality) and lots of QTE and other stupid console-style action game shit is very worrying. Hope it starts being an rpg in Act 1.

punchz

Novice
MetalCraze said:
J_C said:
Why do people lie?
Hahaha look at this.

Yeah, we also have the same bunch of clowns hating on new games by default. I just tried it. For you. Slow & steady works. Show us where facts touched you.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
punchz said:
MetalCraze said:
J_C said:
Why do people lie?
Hahaha look at this.

Yeah, we also have the same bunch of clowns hating on new games by default. I just tried it. For you. Slow & steady works. Show us where facts touched you.

Actually skyway is absolutely right here. You are a complete :retarded: if you are defending QTE's. There is no reason for stupid ballista QTE when 1 min ago you were actually shown that there is an actual gameplay mechanic for shooting the ballista already implemented in the game.

punchz

Novice
I'm not defending anything. I'm torpedoing his misinterpretation of facts as defending QTEs.

Multi-headed Cow

Guys, I have reason to believe Skyway is a member of a genestealer cult and the Codex will soon be attacked by a hive fleet. I'd get out now while you can.

Phelot

Arcane
sea said:
phelot said:
I've never had a problem with games allowing you to drink a potion and especially in TW1 since they appear to be little shots AND they appear to be designed to drink quickly. They could have just designed an interrupt system. That's better than running away and having your enemies just wander back. That's exploit heaven if it's anything like is being described.
Exploits? Potions are useful but they're mild boosts at best, and the absolute best ones have serious side-effects, like reduced damage or health. They're intended to help tailor you for an upcoming fight, but they won't win the game for you and certainly aren't "exploitable" in the same way you're suggesting. Even swallow, the go-to potion for everything in the first game and made combat much easier, has been hit with the nerf stick because you can still die in 2-3 hits on normal if you get taken off-guard.

I meant running away from battle and having the enemy return to their places is a cheap exploit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom