Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Developers release pirate torrent of their own game

Unwanted

Zinc

Unwanted
I only read the first paragraph of Regtard's post, but oh man even that was too much.

derrrp why should i pay for stuff i can get it for free?! its not like the devs work for money or anythin, they just make the games for fun... and even if they do need money sumone else will pay for the game so i dont have to deerrpr. baww i cant get preorder bonuz in my country i wil pirate it bawwwwwwwwwwww

.Sigurd

Educated
Regdar said:
Guys I pirate all my games, in fact I haven't payed for a game since 1998. One of the things I pride myself on is that I never fooled myself into thinking I was somehow justified in doing so. If piracy wasn't an option for me I probably would have bought like, 1 game every two months or about 5 GOG games a month, but why? Why bother saving up for a game when I can have the game, with preorder bonuses I wouldn't ever be eligible for in my country, with DLC, for free so I can buy a new cell phone or a digital camera or upgrade my mobo with the money I saved?

Piracy does represent, in 99% of cases, a loss of revenue for the publisher. The old "it's not stealing - it's copying" argument is retarded to an unfathomable degree, as I'm sure the more intelligent posters on this site already know. If you have enough money to either see a movie or buy a video game or go the circus, it's a tough decision. It's perfect for the market because three forms of entertainment compete with each other for your money in a fair contest. Now add piracy to the picture and it becomes a no-brainer - you pirate 50 movies and 30 video games and spend your money on the only thing that can't be pirated - the circus.

There's a botanical garden in my city which is a popular place for locals to relax on the weekends. Recently they made it so you have to buy a ticket to get in (roughly the price of a movie ticket). Thing is, any 15-25 year old in adequate physical condition can climb through a well-known hole in the fence, or climb over the fence. It's located to side of the entrance with no people or cameras around so you can do it as many times as you want with impunity.

Not a single person who was in adequate physical form, not wearing any expensive white clothes they were afraid to dirty, not being a faggot loser has ever chosen NOT to use this "backdoor". And I think it's safe to say that none of those that did use it ever bought a ticket on their way out, simply because they enjoyed themselves so much or were feeling generous or wanted to support the government.

Whatever advertising and sales-by-exposure you are getting by putting your game out on the web for free is small compared to the amount of copies that will be pirated by people who would otherwise buy it. Companies like Steam, GOG and Direct2Drive prove that not that many people value owning a physical copy of an object so much as to forego huge potential savings.

Edit: just to add a punchline to this mess of a post, consider that the only people who are going to buy your stuff are the ones who can easily afford it. Emphasis on the "easily". This is especially true for video games because cinema is where you go with your bros and hos to relax and thus can't get around spending some money from time to time. If your salary doesn't allow you to afford cinemas, bars, theaters, parks and beaches AND video games, guess where you're gonna trim the expenses first and lower yourself to piracy.
You sound like a Brazilian.

Renegen

Arcane
CrazyLoon said:
My father has been pirating years before I was even born. I have never bought a single legit copy of any digital product in my entire life. Piracy thrives in China.

That's because the Communist Party doesn't want you to pay for western goods. But I don't think they'll be this friendly to pirating when the economy will depend more on internal consumption.

Regdar

Arcane
Only those who follow the sociopathic "why should I buy if I can pirate" ideology.

Well it's too bad some of you didn't care to read past the first paragraph, because it was designed to illustrate typical pirate mentality more than anything else. I thought I made it clear that I can't afford video games, which is why I pirate them.

Funny you say that because the country where I live is about 50 points behind Brazil on the quality of life index.

Commander Xbox

Learned
Why are you guys attacking this dude when you pirate a huge amount of games without buying yourself?

betamin

Learned
Regdar said:
Only those who follow the sociopathic "why should I buy if I can pirate" ideology.

Well it's too bad some of you didn't care to read past the first paragraph, because it was designed to illustrate typical pirate mentality more than anything else. I thought I made it clear that I can't afford video games, which is why I pirate them.

Funny you say that because the country where I live is about 50 points behind Brazil on the quality of life index.

Im from Argentina and I pirate everything, buy 2 games = price of food for 2 weeks.

Piracy is wrong but I fucking love it, its my third worldian privilege. Not like its gonna hurt anybody since I wouldn't buy it if I couldn't pirate anyways.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Commander Xbox said:
Why are you guys attacking this dude when you pirate a huge amount of games without buying yourself?

Looking at my library of games and thinking back I can identify about 4 or 5 titles I had installed on my HDD for over 48 hours and didn't subsequently buy. Although I admit I didn't get some of them until they hit the bargain bin.

The last game I pirated was Dragon Age 2, because I wanted to see how bad it was before spending any money on it. 4 hours later I uninstalled it, deleted the files and counted myself lucky I hadn't spent money on it. Total time spent being tortured by the "product" was less than it took to download.

The last game I pirated and never actually bought was Jedi Academy. I was handed the game CD by a friend at a LAN Party (we used to host 6-8 of those a year back in high school. CD-Swapping was quite common). I played it a lot over the weekend and a little with friends over the net for a few weeks before sort of forgetting about it. I meant to buy it but never did.

I still get "extended demos" as torrents every now and then when I am on the fence on whether or not to get a game. But it's been a mark of pride never to keep the game installed for over 48 hours unless I buy it since I turned 18.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Regdar said:
I thought I made it clear that I can't afford video games, which is why I pirate them.
Regdar said:
I can buy a new cell phone or a digital camera or upgrade my mobo with the money I saved?
Apparently you can also afford wasting money on lower, short-lasting forms entertainment like cinema and going to bars, cinema and theatres.
So, why do you lie?

TripJack said:
but awor szurkrarz nothing is removed from inventory so none of your fellow man are affected
Only if the pirate in question doesn't follow the "why buy anything if I can get it for free" ideology.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
OldSkoolKamikaze said:
Wow. I fucking hate poor people.

Wow. I fucking hate people who think quality control should somehow not be a given part of the free market.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Regdar said:
Piracy does represent, in 99% of cases, a loss of revenue for the publisher. The old "it's not stealing - it's copying" argument is retarded to an unfathomable degree, as I'm sure the more intelligent posters on this site already know.
how can piracy represent a loss of revenue in 99% of the cases if most "why buy when you can get it for free" pirates pirate so many games/movies/music and whatever that even if you devoted everything they own to paying for the shit they pirate it would not be enough? if those people started buying games, it would only increase sales for one or two most hyped titles, not the 20 they download in a month. not to mention that it would lead to overall more critical view of said games and thus counter marketing hype as there is quite a difference in expectations and therefor evaluation of something you had to pay 50€ for or got for pretty much free.

Regdar

Arcane
SuicideBunny said:
how can piracy represent a loss of revenue in 99% of the cases if most "why buy when you can get it for free" pirates pirate so many games/movies/music and whatever that even if you devoted everything they own to paying for the shit they pirate it would not be enough? if those people started buying games, it would only increase sales for one or two most hyped titles, not the 20 they download in a month. not to mention that it would lead to overall more critical view of said games and thus counter marketing hype as there is quite a difference in expectations and therefor evaluation of something you had to pay 50€ for or got for pretty much free.

While I was looking for some statistics and charts I came across this article: http://www.tweakguides.com/Piracy_2.html

This is from a thread I found on Steam:

http://kotaku.com/#!5435876/report-t...-games-of-2009

In 2009 the most pirated game was COD: MW 2. And it counted as high as over 4 million pirated downloads.

...while overall PC sales are 0.7 million (probably over a million if you count Steam): http://gamrreview.vgchartz.com/sales/28 ... warfare-2/

Indies actually have it worse:

The indie game World of Goo was released without DRM by the two-man development team because they trusted PC gamers. It had a 90% piracy rate

http://www.destructoid.com/wankers-w...e-111343.phtml

There was an indie bundle released with all the profits going to charity. The purchaser could choose their own price to pay, even as little as a single cent. It still had a 25% piracy rate

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/05/10/on...-were-pirated/

Fluffer

Novice
What a bunch of hypocrites in this thread, holy shit.

Oh, and @Ulminati you little beacon of morality, you.

Both of the games you mentioned pirating (or borrowing) have demos to, you know, try them out before buying.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Grunker said:
OldSkoolKamikaze said:
Wow. I fucking hate poor people.

Wow. I fucking hate people who think quality control should somehow not be a given part of the free market.

What? I don't understand this. It must be because you're poor and uneducated. What the hell are you doing on the internet? Shouldn't you be busy doing poor people thinks like going to soup kitchens and riding the bus?

Lesifoere said:
Lol OldSkoolKamikaze, a typical middle-class American.

We can't all be wealthy heiresses living in countries full of subsistence farmers and parents who sell their children into prostitution. I need people to look down on too!

Comrade Goby

Magister
Project: Eternity
I pirate games and movies that I wouldn't have played or watched otherwise.

No way in hell I'd pay to watch say an American Pie but dl it and watch it for a bit of mindless bleh? Why not?

Or I torrent shows I can't watch like Dr. Who or HBO shows.

Commander Xbox

Learned
Fluffer said:
What a bunch of hypocrites in this thread, holy shit.

Oh, and @Ulminati you little beacon of morality, you.

Both of the games you mentioned pirating (or borrowing) have demos to, you know, try them out before buying.

Yeah this thread is mind blowing with the amount of mental gymnastics going on to justify stealing lol.

At least Redgar or whatever his name is has the balls to just come out and say he cant be fucked paying for the games.

TripJack

Hedonist
hey oldskoolkamikaze what makes you think that pirates are poor people

and commander xbox pirating isnt stealing come on now that would be wrong

octavius

Arcane
Patron
JarlFrank said:
Yeah but there's no way to stop piracy so you better see it as free advertising than THE MORTAL ENEMY OF REVENUE because if you try to fight it, you will only inconvenience the people who actually buy your game.

Also, there've been a couple of games I've wanted to buy but didn't because they're not available as a physical copy, only digitally.

Same here. I haven't pirated games since I had them virtually thrown at me in the Amiga heydays, but I'm tired of honest gamers like myself being inconvenienced by DRM, online activation and even being forced to play online. Since the pirates always manage to crack the games anyway, this kind of shit makes it more tempting to get a pirated copy to avoid the inconveniences.

Oriebam

Formerly M4AE1BR0-something
octavius said:
JarlFrank said:
Yeah but there's no way to stop piracy so you better see it as free advertising than THE MORTAL ENEMY OF REVENUE because if you try to fight it, you will only inconvenience the people who actually buy your game.

Also, there've been a couple of games I've wanted to buy but didn't because they're not available as a physical copy, only digitally.

Same here. I haven't pirated games since I had them virtually thrown at me in the Amiga heydays, but I'm tired of honest gamers like myself being inconvenienced by DRM, online activation and even being forced to play online. Since the pirates always manage to crack the games anyway, this kind of shit makes it more tempting to get a pirated copy to avoid the inconveniences.
buy them and pirate them too :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom